Start by marking “Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)

Nobody's Baby But Mine

(Chicago Stars #3)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  32,405 ratings  ·  1,624 reviews
Librarian Note: There is an Alternate Cover Edition for this edition of this book here.

Genius physics professor Dr. Jane Darlington desperately wants a baby. But finding a father won’t be easy. Jane’s super-intelligence made her feel like a freak when she was growing up, and she’s determined to spare her own child that suffering. Which means she must find someone very spec
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published February 1st 1997 by Avon Books

·  32,405 ratings  ·  1,624 reviews

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
5 Stars

Absolutely amazing!

Why didn’t somebody tell me sooner how freaking awesome this book was??

You HAVE TO read this book if you like:

* hot football players,

* cold, brooding a**holes who redeem themselves by the end of the book (my favorite)

* strong and above average smart heroines,

* love-hate or enemies-to-lovers relationships,

* quirky families in small town settings,

* non-cliché storylines,

*complex, multi-layered characters,

* exceptional writing, witty banter and super hilarious dialogue,

*a
Mimi Smith
Feb 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
1 star

Warning...RANTING AHEAD! Spoilers, too!

First, apologies to all SEP fans and people who liked this book. Usually I don't do reviews of books I don't like but this one annoyed me so much I had to say SOMETHING. And that something probably won't be that coherent, but oh, well.

I read some other books by her and liked them, although I noticed a slightly disturbing pattern-Hero's emotionally immature-heroine falls in love with a hero-hero can't admit he loves her-heroine runs off-hero has an e
♥Sharon♥
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I want to add 2 more ★'s to my rating!

Doing a re-read is fantastic. You don't have to read every single page to get the oh so wonderful feeling. And boy did I get that "oh so wonderful feeling" while re-reading this one. I adore SEP. She is truly an icon among her fellow authors of romance. I simply love her writing style, her characters, her plots.

She will forever be on my favorite authors pedestal. :)

*****************

I am having such a great time reading this series. My first SEP book was F
Ana O
Condom sabotage. Come on girl, you're better than that. I'd understand if it was Henry Cavill, but... ugh...no....just no....no girl.

photo you-are-crazy_zpsopebpdcj.gif

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

That being said, I still enjoyed this book, despite the craziness.

photo 14697129_zpswz01c4ia.gif

Mo
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillips unites a beautiful, brainy scientist desperate to be a mom with a brawny, smoking hot jock who, though handsome enough to father her child, is nowhere near as stupid as she wants her baby’s daddy to be.

The lovely Karen is reading this series and her updates and reviews have whetted my appetite to do a re-read. Was it as good second time around? Definitely. I loved it.

I loved Janie. I loved Cal. I loved Annie, the adorable Granny.

“Don't mess with me, Calvin. You'll only get hurt.”
Danielle
This book was so much FUN.

I mean, that's probably the best way to describe it. I was smiling or laughing most of the time, and that's because it was outrageous.

No, it wasn't that believable, and what the heroine did - tricked a man into impregnating her - well, that's something I could normally never forgive. But I did. The story was light enough that I couldn't hate the heroine. She and the hero's banter was so funny, I was often shaking my head, laughing, and trying not to wake my husband up.
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
5 stars

Nobody—and I do mean no body—crafts a comedic enemies-to-lovers story as well as Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Period. Oh, and arrogant jerks. Somehow she creates these arrogant and bull-headed alphas who are so sweet at heart that they easily win you over. And her heroines? I always adore her gutsy heroines. Basically, I’m a huge SEP fan in case you can’t tell. Nobody’s Baby But Mine is the third book in the Chicago Stars series, and it’s every bit as enjoyable as the previous books.

I fell i
Karen
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS
[image error]  photo 3012bdf6e06a0009c15b28e61cbe9f81-2.jpg

I am going to start sounding like a broken record when it comes to Susan Elizabeth Phillips. And here I go again…. I fucking LOVED this book!!!!!!! What a shocker right? Seriously, I canNOT get enough of these fantastic books. Nobody's Baby But Mine is the third book in The Chicago Stars series. Although the books are written so that they can be read as stand alone, I personally recommend reading them in order.

You are not going to want to miss one single moment of any of
Heidi Hart
The "Cereal Killer" bit was funny, and that's the only reason I'm giving this two stars instead of one.

I first read this about 10-15 years ago, when I was first starting to read romance. I remembered it fondly, and it's stayed on my "keeper" shelf through more moves than I can count. Rereading it now, though, it's abundantly clear that I'm a much more discriminating reader, and much more in tune with sexual politics than I used to be, because I really didn't like it this time around.

My major i
Ingie
Written March 31, 2015

4.7 Stars - Another great favorite in the best kind of fun and cozy romance novel by an always delivering "champion writer" in this genre

Another great and entertaining Susan Elizabeth Phillips book. An 11 hours audiobook edition from 1997 and once again narrated by a favorite female narrator, Anna Fields. Recommended by Crystal over a year ago. It was at last time.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Happy dancing mood...
One of the best so far in this series. Sooooo much fun. As my, right now kind of SEP bewit
Karla
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

It's been a while since I read a SEP book and I'm so glad I decided to read this book.
In a way it was like reading her for the first time I was again amazed at what a wonderful storyteller she is. This is my third book in the Chicago stars series and it's the story of cal and Jane.

description

"Nobody's baby but mine" was so entertaining right from the first chapter, the way Jane is obsessed about having a baby minus a husband. How everything becomes one huge mess that involves Cal, since his was u
NMmomof4
3.75 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was cute. I was hoping to like it more because everyone seemed to love this -- and those darn expectations hit again, but I still enjoyed it. It's definitely dated with talk of technology (VHS tapes and such) or even the music references (Rod Stewart), but I didn't mind all that much since I knew going in that this is an older book. I liked their banter and arguments, and I appreciated how the h was smart and didn't hide it. I did struggle with the H. I found a l
Simone Elkeles
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite book of Susan's and I've definitely read it multiple times. The premise is actually ridiculous (smart woman wants dumb baby because she was ostracized as a kid for being brilliant so she chooses a "dumb" football player to have sex with/get pregnant). This book is hilariously funny and witty and you just fall in love with the characters. A definite go-to book whenever you want to read one of the best romances of all time.
Anastasia
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, ebook, romance
What a disappointment. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. Well, first let me start by saying that I despised the underlying plot of a pretentious physicist using a football player without his knowledge to get pregnant.

I honestly despised Jane (the pretentious physicist). What she did was dirty and unforgivable, in my opinion, and yet somehow everyone in the book decides to quickly overlook her wrongdoing. Hardly is there a time while reading a romance book that I actually loathe the wo
Paige
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! This book was laugh out loud funny. Both the hero and heroine had flaws, embraced them, learned from them, and came out better in the end. Plus the side characters had me in stitches too. I am just loving the way this author writes and am binging another book by this author pronto.
Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Susan Elizabeth Phillips Fans, Romance
5 Plus All the Smarts Stars
* * * * * It's Only $1.99- Get It Now!!!
Years ago I discovered Romance novels and was able to binge read Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I was going through a health challenge and it was SEP who got me through it with a smile on my face and many face palms. I will forever be indebted to her.

This novels was terrific and you have the opportunity to read it at a wonderful sale price. Take advantage of it... if you have it already... then tell a friend. They will love you for l
Paige  Bookdragon
If it weren't for the fact that the heroine is NOT acting like a doormat to the sexist hero, then I would have abandoned this book pronto. But thank goodness the heroine does not allow bullshit in her life and it was nice to know that sexist men can learn how to appreciate women and have a HEA. ♥
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I found the hero Cal a little too harsh for my tastes. He represented what I don't like about pro sports players and that whole macho vibe that they can give off. It was wrong what Jane did to him,however he was in the habit of using women, so in some ways it was his karma coming back on him, in my opinion. My issue is that didn't treat her very well after the fact. I can understand him being angry but I feel he should have treated the woman who was pregnant with his child better than he did. Th ...more
Grecia Robles
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AMO A CAL … FIN

Esta serie ha ido de menos a más.
SEP tiene una manera de narrar las historias tan amena y envolvente que no puedes dejar de leer, tiene un sello tan distintivo que sabes que lo vas a disfrutar.
Sus libros son divertidos, románticos con un toque sexy y un poquitín de drama.

Este libro me ha gustado muchísimo, desde el principio ha estado bastante divertido.
Jane tiene 34 años es física y siente que necesita algo más en su vida, quiere ser madre pero sabe que no puede escoger a un hom
Nisha
2018
I didn't enjoy it as much...but it could be because I just read Match Me if You Can- my favorite SEP book.

------
February 26, 2014

3 years later, this book remains a classic. SEP's characters are still amazing and hilarious. I don't think I need to write another full review.
-----
February 18, 2011

Third times a charm. Maybe this time, I would write a suitable review.

Clearly, I love this book. After reading it every so often (I think, once every 6 months), it has a solid place in my 'Favorites' s
Chan
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
SEP was on my DNR list (Do Not Read). I read Fancy Pants in 2016 and developed a real dislike of SEP.

However, I figured it’s been two years...let’s give her another try.

Dr. Jane Darlington wants a baby and needs a donor. Not just any donor. A stupid donor. She wants her child to be normal. Jane seeks out Cal, the famous QB, and proceeds to trick him into impregnating her. However, her judgmental ways land her in a bit of a pickle.

I struggled with Jane’s character. She was deceitful and she tri
A_Ryan
5+++ TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY STARS!!!

Wow. I can't even. This book was sooo gooood in soooo many ways that it's going to take some time before I can gather my thoughts and write anything to do justice to this AWESOME MOTHER OF A BOOK!!

Loved the characters.
Loved the writing.
Loved the banter.
Loved the heartbreak.
Loved the romance.

I laughed my arse off.
I wept for Jim and Lynne... (and I NEVER weep reading books!!)
I danced with the women...
I seriously contemplated starting a vegetable garden near th
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
♥ ♥♥ Heart warming..and heart-breaking love story. ♥ ♥ ♥

LOT of great one liners and hell loads of absolute fun..and of course since its is Miss Susan's after all, uve defiantly got a bit of angst snugged in there...Especially that cookie story,..HOLY SHIT cal's parent's initial relationship defiantly broke my heart
:( *snif*
Dee
I absolutely loved this book - In theory I should have hated it and if this was real life I would as Cal was an ar*ehole a lot of the time, but this is fiction/romance and I loved Jane, her character, her backbone and the witty/funny dialogue between them......I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips! ☺
Lučka
4.5*

If it weren't for my reading guru Anna, who recommended this book to me many times over the year, I probably wouldn't have read it. You see, SEP is an author that doesn't really work for me, but at the same time she does. Am I making any sense!?

The plot was completely ridiculous. The heroine who's a genius physics professor tricks the hero, a legendary quarterback, into impregnating her.
description

The crazy plot only spiraled from here. The hero finds out and the true enemies-lovers story starts. The
Sarah MacLean
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my very very favorite books...one of the ones that is dogeared and spine-cracked for all the readings and rereadings I've done of it.

SEP is the best there is. Which makes Nobody's Baby But Mine quite possibly the best of the best.
Antonella
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-series, reread
One second I am rereading SEP and the next I am watching football...just in time for National Playoff

Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview)
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: before2011
4.5 STARS

LOVED IT...
Yodamom
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars- audiobook (excellent narration)
Sports, egos and aging, something I can relate too. The sneaky sperm stealing devious action, made me angry. It was nice to read a book about more mature people dealing with age changes. The characters aren't middle aged, but in that between time from after reaching career success and before middle age, the forgotten time. I would have loved it if Jane hadn't done what she did. I had very mixed feelings about this book.
Cal, is a football quarterback who
Irina
Audible

That's exactly what I've been missing - a proper romance that makes me hold my breath and turn pages or, in this case, audio minutes. A book that stops the world and time around me and keeps me glued to the story.

I honestly don't remember how many times I've read each book in this series. When I discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips, I haven't stopped until I read every single one of her works. Then, whenever I needed a 'healing' romance, I went back to her. And it had never failed to help
Contemporary romance where main characters are both late 30s early 40s. 1 13 Jul 22, 2018 06:17AM
Linda Howard Book...: February's Book of the Month-Nobody's Baby But Mine 15 21 Feb 26, 2015 11:09PM
minus one 18 226 Jan 06, 2013 12:24PM
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
  • Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)
“I married a damned cereal killer” 310 likes
“She glared at him. "You're doing it again."
"What?"
"That thing that irritates me."
"Smiling?"