Start by marking “Scarlett” as Want to Read:
Scarlett

Scarlett

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  48,767 ratings  ·  2,396 reviews
The timeless tale continues... The most popular and beloved American historical novel ever written, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind is unparalleled in its portrayal of men and women at once larger than life but as real as ourselves. Now bestselling writer Alexandra Ripley brings us back to Tara and reintroduces us to the characters we remember so well: Rhett, ...more
Published October 1st 1992 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlett, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anne Martin Margaret Mitchell's estate has sued all the writers who inspired themselves from the story. In France, in the 90s, Regine Desforges wrote a series of…moreMargaret Mitchell's estate has sued all the writers who inspired themselves from the story. In France, in the 90s, Regine Desforges wrote a series of books quite successfully, using the backbone of Scarlett's story to create another universe. Her books are set during the second world war, her heroine is torn between two men and it evolves and leaves Gone with he wind after a while. The estate made a ten-year-long process against her, with nothing to really gain, but discourage anyone with the same idea. It is very sad, when you think of it. As if Stephenie Meyer sued EL James...(less)

·  48,767 ratings  ·  2,396 reviews

Start your review of Scarlett
Namrirru
Jul 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: us
Horrible, over-dramatised, unbelievable, a very bad, bad book.

A couple months ago, I was at Barnes and Noble. A Romanian girl was talking to her American friend about how she read Gone with the Wind in Romanian. Now she'd love to read it in English. She had a book in her hands, but it was not Gone with the Wind. It was Scarlett! I informed her that the book she was holding was not Gone with the Wind, but a sequel. A horrible sequel she would regret reading. Then I picked up the right book for
Carol
"God's Nightgown" I enjoyed it, but REALLY wanted more Rhett!

The story begins with Melanie's funeral where SCARLETT makes a spectacle of herself comforting Ashley....."the cause of her life's destruction".....that exacerbates her isolation and ostracism from Atlanta society.

So.....a downhearted SCARLETT returns to her beloved Tara for comfort, but all is not well there either with an aged Mammy and Suellen as hateful as ever.

With constant thoughts of how to win back her only true love, the story

Rory
May 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
TRASH TRASH TRASH

the only thing more insulting than this book was Timothy Dalton as Rhett Butler!
Joy
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book in hardback for Christmas in 1991, shortly after it was first published. It was highly anticipated and, of course, there were folks lining up on both sides of the issue as to whether it could even hope to be a worthy follow-up to Margaret Mitchell's epic novel or whether it should be judged on its own merits as the continuation of Scarlett's and Rhett's story.

No one who loved GWTW can deny that he/she WANTED to know how the story of Scarlett and Rhett turned out. Margaret
Dorothy
Jul 30, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so awful I sent it back to the publisher and demanded my money back. They sent it to me.
Heather
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History Lovers, Romantics
Many have made the mistake of judging Scarlett by the horrible TV movie that was made from it. Please don't! This book is such a good read and really goes along with Margaret Mitchell's book. (Much was left out of the Gone With the Wind movie.)

Scarlett gives closure to Gone With the Wind fans. I've read it multiple times and have enjoyed it more each time. I definitely recommmend this book!
Heidi
Aug 15, 2007 rated it did not like it
Not only did I not like this book, I hated it! I fell in love with "Gone With the Wind" when I was little and watched the movie over and over with my aunts. When I finally read the book, it was one of the best I have ever read! I even fell in love with Margaret Mitchell's story and why she wrote the book.

When the made-for-tv "Scarlett" movie was made, I watched it with my sister. It wasn't the worst ever, but nothing to the original. I eventually read this book as well and thought it was
Joslyn
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Gone With the Wind or a good love story
So I am a huge Gone With the Wind groupie. I think Clark Gable is the most gorgeous man ever and I want to be Vivan Leigh. I even own the Scarlett Collector's Item Barbie! Scarlett: A Sequel to Gone With the Wind is an amazing book. It picks up right where GWtW left off and never disappoints. It's about 880 pages, but I swear you never even notice. The storyline is believable and the plot has so many twists and turns that you're never bored. My only regret: It wasn't written early enough to make ...more
Ellen
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
As trash fiction, this was fun to read. As a sequel to GWTW it indeed gave closure; Scarlett is such a tragic character with so many flaws and strengths that it was sort of satisfying to see her finally figure out something approximating happiness.

That said, I didn't find it at all convincing. Scarlett may have realized her love for Ashley was a childish fantasy and her loves for Rhett and Melanie were real, but that doesn't mean that she would suddenly be able to throw off a lifetime of the
Krystal
Jun 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
This was the first book I remember being so anticipated, and dreaded at the same time. I didn't think anyone could do justice to the first story and thought they should leave well enough alone. Yet I had to read it the first chance I got, and it truly did suck, with as much force as a book can suck. The characters were watered down versions of their original glory, and Scarlet, though never an angel, was just this simpering fool of a woman that the original would never have put up with. ...more
Misfit
Stephanie
If GWTW had been written like this, this book would never have been written. There would have been no movie and no one would ever have heard of Vivien Leigh.

I started off with low expectations, and found that "Scarlett" was easy to read and reasonably entertaining. I knew from the start that it deserved no more than 2 1/2 stars but was planning to give it 3, because I was enjoying it. Like many, I really wanted to find out about "Act 2" of Scarlett and Rhett. When I first read GWTW, as a
Amyelyse
Jul 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: completionists who didn't love the original
Recommended to Amyelyse by: someone who is dead to me now
If you have read Gone With The Wind you may be tempted to pick this up and "see what happens"...what happens is the author had about 16 ideas for Harlequin romances she never got around to fleshing out so she used them all for this...it's a mish mash of plot, she does sort of get the writing style of Mitchell... and she did mold the plots to the established characters somewhat deftly, but the plots and new characters are all very "brain candy romance" (which , hey I own a ton of and love...but ...more
Cherie
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At the time of publication many years ago, this was a highly anticipated novel, the sequel to Gone With the Wind. Everyone had to have a copy. It was the "Must Read" of the year. Everyone was so excited. I remember how disappointed I was reading this. The author clearly did not study the characters enough, and did not analyze Mitchell's writing. All my extended female family members read this, and we had lengthy discussions about the many disappointments in this novel.
Brenda DiVincenzo
Mar 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
"What Were They Thinking?" when the estate of Margaret Mitchell agreed to publish this rag.
Riannon
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ok, this book was flat-out terrible. I read it because I LOVED Gone With the Wind, but in this book the characters aren't even recognizable as the same people, and do all sorts of well, just bizarre things. Scarlett goes to Ireland to get in touch with her roots, of all things. And she's always obsessing over Rhett and simpering. The real Scarlett was too self-absorbed to ever be like that!
Anyway, it's really sad for me to see one of the best literary masterpieces be sequelled by such a terrible
Debbie Petersen Wolven
Jun 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy drek like The Bridges of Madison County
Recommended to Debbie by: MOM
Shelves: absolute-drek
This book is disgraceful. Imagine the characters in Margaret Mitchell's classic as watered-down, one dimensional people with none of their original characteristics; add unlikely storylines that border on bizarre; finish with pat, easily predicted ending. Margaret Mitchell must be rolling in her grave. How anyone who loved the first book could feel that this book matches it is beyond my understanding...it would be like comparing an original Degas to a velvet clown painting purchased at a truck ...more
Lauren
Jan 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY!
One of the worst books I've ever read! Don't waste your time or money on this piece of utter rubbish!
Regan Walker
If You Only Saw the Movie…you must read this sequel to Gone With The Wind. It's a great love story!

After seeing the movie Gone With The Wind for the umpteenth time and once again being disappointed there was no happy ending (sorry you classic lovers, but the ending where Scarlett says she’ll find a way to win Rhett back just begs for the rest of the story!), I was glad there was a sequel. It was commissioned by Margaret Mitchell’s estate and the author selected in a competition.

SCARLETT
skein
Mar 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books ever. (Horatio Alger was a more convincing author.) I like Gone With The Wind - like, not love. What? Don't look at me like that. It's a damn engaging story. The writing is vivid and engaging, the love affairs are tumultuous, and all of the major players are a pain-in-the-ass. But it works. When Rhett dumps Scarlett, it's the perfect, inevitable culmination of their respective characters. Aaaaaannnnnddddddd ... Ripley takes a dump on all that. The ending goes like this:

heidi
May 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people with free time
this is an alright book. but don't read it looking for the same humor, wit, intelligence, depth or character building as gone with the wind. it's hard to go from a masterpiece of epic proportions to a follow up novel, so let's not compare them. lets just say, if you want to read one person's interpretation of what could have happened, go for it, it is not a deep read. as far as actual writing and storytelling goes, the ending is severely lacking. it seems as if ripley was under a time crunch and ...more
lyn
Sep 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. I think I was looking for some closure that I never got from GWTW.
Amy
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
It's difficult to know how to rate this book. Parts of it really shine. I think I'm frustrated that Ms. Mitchell herself didn't write a sequel to Gone With the Wind, and it's a little hard to know if you're supposed to like a book when some dared to touch such a classic. Over all, I appreciated some of the character development on Scarlett's part. I found it consistent with her character in Gone With the Wind, and consistent with the way a person might "grow up" after having married as young as ...more
Rose
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rose by: Stephanie Quinn Lawrence
When I was a freshman in college, I saw Gone with the Wind for the first time. My roomie loved the old movies and I saw it with her one weekend at her house. I loved it!

I could not believe the ending. It's so funny because I didn't know much about the movie, but I sort of knew that people were not happy with the ending. Not sure why I never was intrigued to find out why or what they were talking about.

I was up in arms after seeing the movie--how could it end that way??? Luckily, the very year I
elizabeth • paper ghosts
Wirya
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read Scarlett after i read Gone With The Wind.
Both of this book is amazing..
I really love it...

Love... Love... Love...

But I haven't seen the movie of gone with the wind..

Hiks..;(

Scarlett and Gone With The Wind are bought by my father, first my dad just bought Gone With The Wind but after i read it. I start to beg my dad to buy Scarlett( I can't buy by myself for i don't have money:0 )

But... Scarlett and Gone With The Wind are very very very niceee....
Mackey
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I am not a huge fan of Gone With the Wind, but I honestly can say that this is the worst sequel I ever have had the displeasure of reading. Mitchell's family never should have had allowed this to be written. Horrible story, horribly written - a disgrace to Martha Mitchell.
Leona  Carstairs
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books, dnf
DNF @ page 258

Not for me. I was unimpressed with this book as a sequel to Gone With the Wind. The characters acted in ways that I don't think Mitchell would have made them act. And the writing felt like a cheap imitation of Margaret Mitchell's. I personally didn't like it but I can see why others would. I was going to finish but decided not to because I have better things to do with my time.
Linda
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel by Alexandra Ripley................didn't think she could pull it off as well as she did! Just loved connecting with Scarlett again, following her transformation into a different character from the Scarlett of GWTW, she was still very colorful. All the history and culture of Ireland was very entertaining to me.....now need to re-read GWTW!
Kelly Hager
It's nowhere near as good as Gone With the Wind, but this book is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's not art, but it gives Rhett and Scarlett a happy ending and, as a bonus, Scarlett becomes The O'Hara.
اسکارلت کتابي مستقل يا ادامه اي بر برباد رفته؟ 11 197 Jan 15, 2019 09:16PM
It stunk 27 253 Jan 14, 2016 08:11AM
Scarlett grown up 12 88 Feb 03, 2015 10:21AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley 4 44 Jan 02, 2015 07:04AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions of "Scarlett" 2 30 Jun 21, 2013 04:55PM

• Gone with the Wind: Part 1 of 2
  • Gone with the Wind, Part 2 of 2
  • Rhett Butler's People
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Gone With the Wind: the Definitive Illustrated History of the Book, the Movie, and the Legend
  • North and South (North and South, #1)
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • David Copperfield: Charles Dickens' Classics (adapted)
  • Love and War (North and South, #2)
  • The Joy Luck Club (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 6 Reader)
  • The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film
  • ANNA KARENINA
  • Roots: The Saga of an American Family
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Thorn Birds
  • Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre: Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism
  • Emily Brontë: Wuthering Heights: Critical Studies
  • Унесенные ветром. Том 2
Alexandra Ripley was an American writer best known as the author of Scarlett, the sequel to Gone with the Wind. Her first novel was Who's the Lady in the President's Bed?. Charleston, her first historical novel, was a bestseller, as were her next books On Leaving Charleston, The Time Returns, and New Orleans Legacy. Scarlett received some bad reviews, but was very successful nonetheless. She ...more
“But if you knew that, why on earth did you marry her?" Rosemary asked.

"Why?" Rhett's mouth twisted in a smile.
"Because she was so full of fire and so recklessly, stubbornly brave.Because she was such a child beneath all her pretenses.Because she was unlike any woman I had ever known. She fascinated
me,infuriated me, drove me mad. I loved her as consumingly as she loved him. From the day I first laid eyes on her. It was a kind of disease."
There was a weight of sorrow in his voice. He bowed his head into his two hands and laughed shakily. His voice was muffled and blurred by his fingers. "What a grotesque practical joke life is. Now Ashley Wilkes is a free man and would marry Scarlett on a moment's notice, and I want to be rid of her. Naturally that makes her determined to have me. She wants only what she cannot have."
Rhett raised his head. "I'm afraid," he said quietly, "afraid that it will all begin again. I know that she's heartless and completely selfish, that she's like a child who cries for a toy and then breaks it once she has it. But there are moments when she tilts her head at a certain angle, or she smiles that gleeful smile, or she suddenly looks lost-and I come close to forgetting what I know.”
38 likes
“You belong with me, Scarlett, haven't you figured that out? And the world is where we belong, all of it. We're not home-and-hearth people. We're the adventurers, the buccaneers, the blockade runners. Without challenge, we're only half alive. We can go anywhere, and as long as we're together, it will belong to us. But, my pet, we'll never belong to it. That's for other people, not for us.” 32 likes