Start by marking “The Jupiter Myth (Marcus Didius Falco #14)” as Want to Read:
The Jupiter Myth (Marcus Didius Falco #14)

The Jupiter Myth

(Marcus Didius Falco #14)

Stuck in the Roman outpost of Londinium, Marcus Didius Falco is ready to pack up his family and go home... until the corpse of a nobleman turns up, head down, in a well behind a local tavern. The dead man turns out to be a close friend of the king and suddenly Falco has a murder case to solve before he can get out of town. Taking on the British tradition of the pub crawl, ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Mysterious Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Jupiter Myth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jupiter Myth

Start your review of The Jupiter Myth (Marcus Didius Falco #14)
Carolyn
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The year is AD77 and following completion of a successful investigation for the Roman Emperor Vespasian, informer Marcus Falco is enjoying a brief holiday in Londinium with his wife and children and looking forward to heading home to to Rome. However, his plans are derailed when a body is found in the well of a local tavern and Marcus identifies him as a wealthy courtier of King Togidubnus on the south coast and someone he met during his investigation there. Suddenly Marcus finds himself thrust ...more
Martin
Upside down in a well was the drowned body of a British nobleman. Roman detective Falco must solve this grisly murder and stop gangland intimidation's.

image: description

An innocent bystander is eye witness to a murder
“We just found him left here with his feet waggling—”
“Excuse me! Why were his feet waggling? Was the poor sap still alive?”
She blushed. “Just a manner of speaking.”
“So was he dead or not?”
“He was dead. Of course he was.”
“How did you know?”
“What?”
“If only his feet were visible, how did anyone k
Susana
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Falco fans

Another Falco adventure in his least favourite place... Britain.
The man hates the weather, isn't crazy about the Baths, and the bartenders are just fishy. And don't even get him started on the beer *ugh*... although water ends up being way... dangerous for everyone's health!

Luckily his closer family is with him: His beloved wife, Helena Justina, their two infant girls, and of course, Nux the family's dog.
(...)
Oh, and his sister Maia Favonia, her children, and lets not forget his BFF Petronius.
So
Assaph Mehr
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: roman-detectives
Felix is back to dealing with the criminal element, although this time set in Roman Britain.

Expect murder, plot twists, criminals, female gladiators, femme fatales, and Falco and friends' family life, as Falco's British holiday turn to another of his usual investigator jobs.

Be aware that while it's not necessary to read the books in order, it certainly helps - certainly so far into the series.
Assaph Mehr, author of Murder In Absentia: A story of Togas, Daggers, and Magic - for lovers of Ancie
Jeff Dickison
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book about Marcus Didius Falco and the love of his life, Helena. They are in Londinium following their adventures in "Body In The Bath House" and must try to solve who killed Verovolcus by stuffing him in a well and drowning him. With the aid of his old buddy, Petronius, Falco gets the job done. This is an excellent series and I recommend all of the books up to this 14th edition.
Cody Tolmasoff
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a Roman informer (Private Investigator) sent back to the frontier of the old world, Britania. Described as a backward place, Falco spends a good deal of time running around Londinium, crossing such rivers as the Themisis. An interesting flash back in time, and an action packed mystery including a huge fight scene in a Roman Arena.
Huw Evans
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A return to form for Lynsey Davis. MDFalco and his sidekicks are back in Britain resurrecting the unpleasant memories of his previous trips. the book centres around the Romanisation of Britannia and the conflicts that it presents all involved. How much acceptance of hegemony is real, how much is lip service and how much is hidden beneath the stucco and mosaics.
Susan
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Continuing straight from the Body in the Bathhouse Falco and all his family are now in Londinium. Verovolcus, from the court of King Togidubnus is found dead and the investigation leads to gangsters and female gladiators including an old girlfriend of Falco.
Amy Callahan
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know this is a great book because I remember it on occasion, and then I go searching for what it was called, and who wrote it. An introduction to the historical reality of Roman Britain, of which I wasn't entirely aware. I read it in 2007, around March is my guess.
Jack
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A real good mystery -= good historical information - a real page turner at the end
Rachel Burton
The one in Londinium with the tribal chieftain stuck down a well, the re-appearance of Falco's ex and in which we realise London has not much changed over the years....
Travis
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roman-mysteries
One of my favorites from the Falco series.
Harry Addington
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this series. Read it in order.
Lorraine Webb
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yet another excellent Falco book
Colette
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
another excellent mystery set in ancient Rome/
Gabriele Black
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Marcus and the family (& Petro) in London. What more could you ask?
Another excellent page turner that taught me lots about my tomorrow's Roman history.
Anthony Buck
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another solid entry in the series. These books have maybe lost a little of the sparkle of the first few but the plotting and characters (both old and new) remains spot on. Recommended.
P.D.R. Lindsay
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Writers aren’t always kind to each other but Edith Pargeter, who wrote the best selling Brother Cadfael series of Mediaeval murder mysteries, said of one of Lindsey Davis’s early novels:

'Lindsey Davis continues her exploration of Vespasian's Rome and Marcus Didius Falco's Italy with the same wit and gusto that made 'The Silver Pigs' such a dazzling debut and her rueful, self-deprecating hero so irresistibly likeable.'

Wit, gusto and irresistible, three words which are the best summation of the
Malcolm
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Following their adventures on the south coast, Marcus Didius Falco’s extended clan are still in Britain, preparing for their return to Rome when plans are interrupted by the murder of a murderer. Held up in Londinium, having been recruited by Helena’s uncle and charged by King Togidubnus, friend to the emperor and important ally in Britain, with solving the murder Falco finds himself negotiating the underworld of Londinium, cAD79. It’s a tale of organised crime, vengeance, requited love and prob ...more
Scot
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
As a follow-up the last installment in this series, Falco & family (including Helena’s brothers, his sister Maia and her kids, his best pal Petronius) are still in first century Britain, but now the Roman investigator is trying to get to the bottom of a mystery involving the murder of Verovolcus, an old friend of the current king who had been implicated in some serious crimes against the Emperor. Verovolcus is found face down in the bottom of a well in the yard of a dive bar in the port city of ...more
Jennie
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery/History lovers
Recommended to Jennie by: Mom
Although not the first book in the series, this is the first one that I read. My mom and dad gave it to me for Christmas because it takes place in London (or Londinium as Falco would say!) and I had just worked there the summer of 2001.

After reading this book, I was on a quest to read all the others. Written in a straight-forward style (as all the books in the series are), this book captures humor, romance, and mystery in a historical setting. The characters are all likeable, but not perfect. In
Marcus
After a number of rather lukewarm installments, finally another great book in Didius Falco book series. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it's one of the strongest stories, along with 'Iron hand of Mars'. The story is tight and interesting, the prose is as strong, clever and filled to the brim with the backhanded humor so characteristic to the author. For fans of the series it's a guaranteed treat.

If there is anything 'bad' to say about this volume, the it's that the humorous and light w
Jan (the Gryphon)
Marcus Didius Falco in earlier books has proven that he can take punishment, both physical and mental. In The Jupiter Myth it's his friend Lucias Petronius who is the sufferer. Petro has brought Falco's sister and her family come to Londinium, Britannia, where Falco and his wife Helena are visiting with Helena's aunt - as it turns out, a working vacation for Petro and Falco. This book doesn't have a cast of characters as the earliest books in the series, which is too bad as there is a cast of - ...more
Linda
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After A Body in the Bathhouse, I thought I would find Falco and family back in Rome for the next book but instead they have moved a little north to Londinium to visit Helena's aunt and uncle before the long trip home. Everyone is ready to go home when a man is found drowned in a local pub's well. The man is a good friend of the King (and supposedly should have been exiled to Gaul). Of course Falco is tasked with finding the killer and naturally this turns out to be more than just a murder. It l ...more
Julie Davis
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
#15 - 2010.

Out of new fiction I wandered to my bookshelves and discovered that I hadn't perused Lindsey Davis in some time. The Jupiter Myth was one of her books that I most enjoyed as it combines a look at life in ancient Londinum with a well conceived mystery that is investigated by her wise cracking, cynical detective, Falco. As well, a few old friends from the series are roped into service.

I am surprised upon thinking of it that I dropped the series soon after this point. I read the next boo
Ashley Armstrong
Very enjoyable. Darker than some of the others, but compellingly told and with lots of sharp lines and wit. Set in Londinium in 75 C.E. and following on from The body in the Bath House, Marcus Didius Falco, Helena Justina, their two children, not forgetting Nux their dog, and assorted family members are drawn into investigating the murder of a notable Briton, and suspicion and violence erupt everywhere. Like Dashiell Hammett or Chandler, Roma-noir sparkles!
Larry
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rome
The characters and their interaction give this novel depth and interest. Petronius and Falco work together, and seem to be back on good terms. Falco's old girlfriend Chloris turn up, and Helena is not happy. Helena rescues a starving orphan whom she names Flavia Albia. Falco solves a murder with a lot of help from his friends.

What could be more fun?
Barbara
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Marcus Didius Falco is an old friend. I have been reading his tales (by Lindsey Davis, of course) for a number of years. There is suspense, humor, warm family feelings. These books are a delight to read.
Simon Binning
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a huge amount of historical fiction set in Ancient Rome, much of it, for me, very ordinary and very repetitive. There are umpteen variations on the story of an ordinary lad from humble origins (or disgraced nobleman) who joins the army, achieves miracles and rises to power and glory. It's even got a nickname - 'swords and sandals'. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good authors who make imaginative use of this basic theme, but there are many who are best avoided.
Personally, I lo
Alan
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
London Calling to the Underworld

After the relative success of his previous assignment gum-sandal Marcus Didius Falco (but more importantly Emperor Vespasian’s most trusted Imperial agent) decides to take a city break in Londinium prior to returning to Rome. Unfortunately, due to his notoriously effective investigative skills he is persuaded to attempt to solve the murder of a friend of Britan’s King Togidubnus, a powerful and influential tribal chieftain, long-time friend and ally of the Empero
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Persona Non Grata (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #3)
  • A Lethal Frost (DI Jack Frost Prequel Book 5)
  • Murder, Stage Left (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #12)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
  • Brigantia (Vindolanda #3)
  • Holy Spy (John Shakespeare, #7)
  • The Last Mrs. Summers (Her Royal Spyness, #14)
  • Black Swan Rising
  • Revenger (John Shakespeare, #2)
  • Death at Hilliard High (Susan Lombardi Mysteries Book 3)
  • Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • Haunting in the Hallway (The Inn at Holiday Bay, #5)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele #8)
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • Turn Around Bright Eyes: The Rituals of Love & Karaoke
  • Murder at Brighton Beach (Ginger Gold Mysteries #11)
  • Martyr (John Shakespeare, #1)
Lindsey Davis, historical novelist, was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. Having taken a degree in English literature at Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), she became a civil servant. She left the civil service after 13 years, and when a romantic novel she had written was runner up for the 1985 Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize, she decided to become a writer, writing at first romanti ...more

Marcus Didius Falco (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2)
  • Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3)
  • The Iron Hand of Mars (Marcus Didius Falco, #4)
  • Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)
  • Last Act in Palmyra (Marcus Didius Falco, #6)
  • Time to Depart (Marcus Didius Falco, #7)
  • A Dying Light in Corduba (Marcus Didius Falco, #8)
  • Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco, #9)
  • Two for the Lions (Marcus Didius Falco, #10)