Start by marking “The Secret of the Painted House the Secret of the Painted House” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Painted House the Secret of the Painted House

The Secret of the Painted House the Secret of the Painted House

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
When Emily finds a locked playhouse in the woods, she can't resist peeking through the windows. Inside, the walls are painted to look just like the surrounding woods, right down to an identical white playhousewith blue shutters. But the playhouse is not as deserted as Emily first thought. A girl Emily's age lives on the painted walls-and she's dying for Emily to join her
N
Published August 16th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 10th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Painted House the Secret of the Painted House

Jong Yang
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters in the book are Emily, Logan, their mom, Grandma Rose, Pin and Pin's mom. Emily's family just moved to a new house. There were trees everywhere where they lived. Emily decided to go walk around and then she saw a playhouse in the forest. She went to the playhouse and looked inside it. She saw paintings in their. Then Emily went home. Then the next day Emily wanted to go back to the playhouse but she couldn't because she had to baby sit her baby brother Logan. After that she saw a ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Part of Random House's Stepping Stone reading program. The concept of entering a painting and being trapped in there is not a new one, but it is executed well in this spooky ghost story for young readers. I would have given this children's chapter book four stars, but how does a four-year-old get hold of matches and know how to use them?
Naomi Blackburn
Jun 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a good, nonthreatening entry to ghost stories for kidlets UNTIL the author wrote a scene about a 9 year old and 4 year old starting a fire with matches stolen by the 4 year old (who knew how to build a fire). Seriously???
Dolly
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We've read the series of Ghost stories by Marion Dane Bauer featuring colorful ghosts. Our oldest loved these tales, and I appreciated that she could tell a spooky story that isn't too scary for children.

This story follows along in that vein, although I think it's the creepiest so far. The plot is engaging, but it ends a bit too abruptly. There were unanswered questions that our girls and I discussed after we finished the book, (view spoiler)
Beth
9 year old Emily and her little brother Logan have just moved to a house in the country with no other kids around. Logan's just too little to play with so Emily goes out into the woods by herself and finds a real house just the right size for her. When she looks through the window she sees that the house is empty but there are trees painted on the walls and a painting of a house exactly like the house she's looking into. And peeking around one of the trees is another little girl...
This is a tran
Linda
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute little story for younger readers and a quick read. Emily's family moves to a new house near the woods. In the woods she finds a little painted house and in the house the walls are painted to look like the woods with the little house in it. And in the picture of the house is a little girl who is lonely and wants Emily to stay forever.
Uflchildrens
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily finds a mysterious playhouse in the woods with a mural of the woods that surround it painted on the walls inside. She finds out that the girl the house was built for died in a fire years ago but her ghost lives on in the mural and wants Emily to join her! Spooky! --Rachel
j/first chapter/Bauer
Gracie Reyes
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a girl! You just don't see her...

"where?" you ask

She lies is the painting behind you. Watching your every move... She's afriad of fire and wanders about searching for her mom... Yes her mom, her mother is hiding in the painting too But where? Where is she? and why won't she let us get-out-of-here?
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This title starts off really promising and quite eerie. It's a feat to write something for the really beginning readers that contain such sense of danger and mystery. The resolution leaves something to be desired, though. A pity.
Amy Brown
For 3rd/4th grade. A not so scary, scary story for younger kids. Emily moves to a new place, finds a locked playhouse in the woods, and meets a girl who lives in the drawings inside the playhouse who doesn't want to let her new friend leave.
Kelly Rae
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv-fiction
A good "scary" book for the really young. There are some topics that might be a little "old" for the targeted age group. Such as Pin's mom "leaving her." But overall it was good, I was even a little spooked!
Deja
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me i thought this book was really interesting,so i read it in the middle of the book i was so into that i finished the book in less than 2days, i really enjoyed.
Christy
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader, mystery
When her family moves from Chicago to the country, nine-year-old Emily is drawn to a mysterious playhouse she finds in the woods and soon meets its sad, lonely inhabitant.
Becky
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-chapter
I was a bit disappointed with this one. I suppose I could say it was a bit of a mystery/scary story and give it to those who need beginning chapter books.
Julie
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early chapter book readers
A haunted playhouse in the woods! Easy to read, not too scary. Author wrote Blue Ghost (3rd place Bluebonnet).
Ash
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
I would have enjoyed it more when I was little. It reminded me of a much better written "Are you afraid of the dark?" episode. Pleasantly spooky and wonderfully written.
Sonya
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book. i think this is a cool book because i gives you a question after question and it keeps you reading!!!
carissa
Chrissy
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-stuff
Emily just wants to get away from her new house in the forest, but when she gets trapped in a strange playhouse in the woods, she realizes home is just where she wants to be.
Nora
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ls-5360, library-yes
It was a great read. I never would have thought of having a playhouse being cursed. Very good!
Molly Panzer
I was downloading from 3M Cloud Library title list and recognized Marion Dane Bauer and decided to read.
Qian
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nine year's old Emily is a brave girl
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Its about a little girl who's missing from her mom and she's trapped in a painting and she got lonely until she got helped. A.
Charlotte
Jul 24, 2012
Bean
Apr 29, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...