Start by marking “This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars, #2)” as Want to Read:
This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars, #2)

This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
He’s spoken of only in whispers. His origins are a mystery. Some say that he’s descended from the last of the angels. Others say much worse. By all appearances, Rol Cortishane is just another ruthless pirate roaming the lawless seas, raiding warships and slavers. But the truth is something far more complicated and dangerous than anyone can imagine, including Rol. Even as h ...more
Published November 28th 2006 by Spectra (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about This Forsaken Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Forsaken Earth

Martin Belcher
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I cannnot praise this book enough, I finished this book in record time for me, I just couldn't put it down. Rol is a great character and his adventure just gets better.

The plot starts to cobweb out in this book and we find ourselves meeting some old characters from the first book that have a devastating effect on Rol Cortishane including Canker, King of thieves from Ascari and Rowen Bar Hethrun, his half sister and rightful heir to the throne of Bionar - I wont give anymore away as it would spoi
Todd
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was quite pleased by this book. I usually stray away from fantasy novels mixed with gunpowder, but I was impressed. Rol is an excellent character and I'm stuck wondering where the story will go.
Megan
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really really really want the third book.
Hilary
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After taking a couple weeks off from this book because of having a baby, it only took a couple of pages to get back into it. I'm glad it at least has somewhat of an ending since the third book is nowhere in sight. I can handle not knowing what happens next for a while. It's so hard to believe I had never heard of this author because every book I've read has been so unexpectedly good. Hopefully there will be more to come!
Anasylvia
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
I absolutely loved The Mark of Ran and couldn’t wait to get my hands on its sequel The Forsaken Earth. I have to say that I enjoyed The Mark of Ran best, but that in no way did The Forsaken Earth disappoint.

It’s difficult to describe a sequel without giving away spoilers. The plot of the The Forsaken Earth picks up a few months after The Mark of Ran left off. In the Mark of Ran, Rol and Rowen discover some very shocking news about themselves which lead them each to their own quest to discover w
Charlene Roberts
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers and readers who enjoy ship lore
This book is the second in The Sea Beggars series. It continues the travels of Rol Cortishane, as he now accepts his life as a pirate and lives with a society in the ancient ruins of Ganesh Ka.

However, his half-sister Rowen, who has challenged the king by stating she is the true heir, hunts Rol down to help her win the country of Bionar. Although he should know better he goes and is involved in a great war. He finally escapes with his friends and make their way by foot back to Ganesh Ka.

I don't
Patrick D
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I read the first two books of the Sea Beggars series after finishing the Monarchies of God omnibus edition and the Macht series. Sea Beggars has one story line and follows the adventure of Rol.

I love his descriptions of battle scenes which involve early modern black powder warfare with pikes and other weapons. I was most invested in this portions of the book. I enjoy the side characters more than the main character who is sort of a Byronic hero.

The main focus is on Rol and that's the only story.
Mark L
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author has a deft hand when it comes to shading in details subtly over time. Everything I have ever read by Kearney has been very well written - so, I am looking forward to the next book in the Sea Beggars series. Sadly, finding out when this will be released is problematic as Mr Kearney no longer has a webpage.

This Forsaken Earth was published in 2006. I did enjoy the Macht books released since this publication. The flair in the battle scenes are some of the best I have read. I will be kee
Janet
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: wars-and-thrones
I was just as caught up in Rol and Rowan's story in This Forsaken Earth (Sea Beggars #2) as in the first of the series, The Mark of Ran. Unfortunately, the story again cuts off with much unresolved, and since Kearney hasn't touched this series since 2006, it may stay at this unsatisfactory finish. That said, I appreciated how Kearney resisted 'making it all come out right in the end' and maintained the gritty and dark tone throughout.
Brennan Griffin
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Paul Kearney seems a bit over-rated to me, but this one moved quickly enough to be interesting. I think its hard for me to get into because his characters are unrelentingly dark, with few redeeming traits. That may be my failing as a reader, but I just don't much care about his main characters because of it.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2006. Loved this instalment as well. Characters are well drawn and I can't believe that I have to wait for the next instalment. Good premise and original (well, to me anyway). Gallico is my favourite at the moment. "Always, the nobility built their homes on the higher ground - it was a basic of human nature that the rulers must look down on those they ruled"
Anonymole
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
First was good - this one a bit less so. Still very good reading.
Tomas M
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The setting and details were great. The story seemed to be slightly linear, without real drama or suspense. The characters are fleshed out, but many of them are not very interesting.
Warner707
Nov 23, 2010 is currently reading it
its really intresting becuase it has the not really harry potter but more hbit feel to it this is one of those books if you like lord of the rings youll love this
Andre
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Further development of the pirate captain getting caught up in a civil war. A good developing story.
Remy
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very good story, sad to hear next book is being held up...
Morgan
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
just read it but it gives an incomplete end and there isn't a sequel, but overall is a good book
Chris
May 07, 2014
Mikael
Nov 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)
  • Colours in the Steel (Fencer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Healthy Dead (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #2)
  • The Bonemender's Choice (The Bonemender, #3)
  • Imaro
  • Corum (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #4)
  • The Tain
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • Involution Ocean
  • Dark of the Gods (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • Singer
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 13
  • The San Veneficio Canon
  • The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories
  • Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands, #1)
  • Telzey Amberdon

Paul Kearney was born in Ballymena, Northern Ireland, in 1967. He went to a local grammar school, and then to Lincoln College, Oxford, where he read Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, and Middle English

Shortly after leaving Oxford, he went on a solitary climbing trip to the Isle of Skye, and it was after tumbling off a mountain there that the character of Michael Riven first came to him. The first half of Th
More about Paul Kearney...

The Sea Beggars (2 books)
  • The Mark of Ran (The Sea Beggars, #1)