Start by marking “The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line” as Want to Read:

Turn your craft into a successful business! Even the most expert crafters may find it challenging to market and sell their wares, but with Kari Chapin you have an experienced guide at your side. Learn to determine your cost of goods, set prices, identify the competition, and understand the ins and outs of wholesale and retail sales. Explore the various sales venues availab ...more
Published February 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Handmade Marketplace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handmade Marketplace

Start your review of The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line
Sasha
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
To be honest, most of this book is written in Successful Blog Style. What is Successful Blog Style, you ask? Well, it's a style of writing that mainly says bland, incomplete, obvious things that you already know, but presented stylishly, charmingly, disarmingly and warmly. The premise is usually something you find deeply fascinating, that fills your mind with a sense of interest, curiosity, and promise. Ultimately the Successful Blogger sells (via advertising) this back to you. You often learn v ...more
Eleanor
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grow-diy
This book is fun, easy to read and knows its audience of crafters very well. I appreciate the voices of other crafters woven into the chapters. Overall, the book emphasizes building community and your own creative practice and I think that's where the voices of other crafters really help demonstrate that this sense of community is very real. This book has good advice for craters looking to go to craft fairs and establish and online presence, but I think the advice about taxes and accounting is r ...more
Jeannine
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-creativity
Well designed book (I mostly bought this because my friend Amber is quoted in it and because I loved the illustrations and design).

The information presented is great, though available in other books. I would really **love** to have a similar book (or a chapter in a current book) devoted to indie marketing of "art" (such as original paintings for example). This book and others like it are helpful for artisans who make things - soap, mittens, stuffies, etc - but "art" seems to require a slightly t
Yulia
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills-crafts
I don't remember how I came across this book but I sell on Etsy, so I was interested to know what this book was about. It has a lot of good information, some I already knew, and some was completely knew to me. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about starting selling their handmade treasures or who is already doing so. Lots of great information in one place!
Nicole
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have a crush on everything about this book.
Patti
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I checked this out of the library, then l found it so useful that I bought it on Amazon. It is chock full of tips from actual crafters who have turned a hobby into a business. It's an indispensable tool for anyone looking to make a living creating and selling their handicrafts. Thank you Kari Chapin and the members of your Creative Collective.
Chrissy
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really found this book very useful and I am so glad I got the chance to review it. I have always wanted to learn how to list and sell my homemade crochet and scrap booking items. This book for me was a real tool to have not only does it tell you how to it also tells you how to get set up and started. The steps she takes you threw and the things you learn in this book will most definitely help you to set up your own business.

I really enjoyed the chapters on social media, blogging and marketing.
Arianna
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Handmade Marketplace is a wonderful resource for anyone who's thought about selling their art or handcrafted work. Kari writes in a friendly, conversational tone and guides the reader through all the ins and outs of operating a small business. A large variety of topics are discussed including marketing, branding, using social media in your business, how to take the perfect photos, selling in your community, legal details, shop policies, selling at craft fairs, and more!

Included in the book a
Andrea
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is very approachable for those looking to take a side hobby of crafting and expand upon your opportunities.

What I found most helpful were the different sites of other bloggers, podcasters, and crafty knowledge.

As a former business major it is not at all the book you should get if you want to open a brick and mortar store or if you are going to be expanding over the size of you plus one. If you are looking for something like that please instead get New Venture Creation by Timmons it i
Elise
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what anyone considering a handmade business should read- it points out things you maybe neglected to realize when daydreaming about your own creative business. To run a successful business you'll probably need to read a lot more in depth on certain aspects but this book will get creative people thinking "It's not just about sitting round being an artist"; though that's a wonderful aspect there is marketing, legal issues, accounting, and much more to think of. Highly recommen ...more
Jaime David
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am actually reading this book. There are no pictures or sewing projects and I will soon finish it cover to cover! It is a good reference for using modern means to market yourself and your wares. It is inspiring. I also enjoy that there are numerous perspectives offered throughout the book, making this concept more tangible.
Melody
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Breezy, fun overview of, well, how to sell one's crafts. It covers too much to be particularly in-depth- but it doesn't claim to be. Overall it felt like a series of magazine articles, with pull-quotes and boxes of more info and quirky but engaging illustrations. I don't know that I learned anything new, but I certainly read every word.
Sabrina Barnett
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great, easy-to-read lil' book about making $$$ of yr arts, esp. if you're like me and don't understand how the hell the internet or money work.
Dor
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
[I was provided with book for the price of No Monies thanks to the publisher, Storey Publishing, and the ever wonderful NetGalley. It is available (hopefully) today: June 11th!]

[A very important note: this is not one for the ereader. You will want either a hardcopy, or a tablet/computer to read on. The layout is more like a magazine sans pictures.]

I love it when people give me money. I love it even more when people give me money for something I'm doing anyway, so I'm always on the lookout for
Amanda
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for handmade business owners! I really liked this book. It covered a lot of topics. She has little snippets and advice from others as well. I feel like the book didn't go into a lot of detail about certain things--more of an overview. But still terrific! I love the way it was designed too with lots of little illustrations and sidebars and pullout info. I like that in a business book. It helps break up the info.
Angela
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
It would be best to get this book when you are in the very beginning stages of thinking of selling your crafts. The writing style is nice and the book setup is engaging. I had been researching online for a few months and was looking for something more in-depth with more specific details. Unfortunately there was really nothing here I hadn’t already read online.
Mindy
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOADS of great info.

I borrowed the book from the library and am going to purchase.

I'm new to the whole selling thing for all my crafts and this was a great instructional for when I have enough inventory to sell!

Highly recommend reading.
Sharon
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
Create a web page (or have someone do it for you) and take beautiful pictures (or have someone do it for you) of your crafts to add to the page. Be sure to tweet, blog, chat, and post. And don't forget to visit cradft fairs and read your camera's manual.
Jenny
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafting
Great tips from people in the business, many encouraging words, and some practical advice to get started.
The format was hard to read--sort of like the scattered online reading. By this time, I think a newer publication might be more relevant than this 2011 publication.
Lindsay
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful resource for any crafter wanting to expand their business. It is a little dated just because the internet moves so fast and this book is almost a decade old, but even still it's extremely helpful. Highly recommend! And Kari's voice really comes through, it's a very conversational read.
Laya
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not so relevant to me.
Outdated for 2017
Lorelei
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like there were some parts that could have been expanded on, but overall, this is a good resource for the novice craft seller.
S. Faxon
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful introduction to learning how to operate your self-starter business. I would definitely recommend for people looking to sell their crafts!
Melindannk
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Super informative, great read.
Jane
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Sadly, a lot of the links are out of date now.
Susan
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Too old to be of value and even at the time was rather vague on how to get anything done.
Katie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
This updated edition is full of creative ideas and practical advise for crafters wanting to break into the market. The author provides plenty of resources for further information. She makes the crafting world sound more collaborative than cutthroat competitive. Her writing inspires me to try something new!
Debra
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kari Chapin collected a group of nineteen talented artisans that sell their work, calling them her Creative Collective, and asking them the questions that the reader would ask. Their comments are quoted in side notes sprinkled throughout the book. I found the comments of the collective to be thoughtful, wise and invaluable to someone wanting to beginning selling their own creations. But that’s just the beginning of the information in this book.

Chapin organizes the book into three general parts:
Erin
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Handmade Marketplace (2nd Edition) is an informative and inspiring book all about selling your own crafts and handmade goods. The book is well thought out with the chapters following topics in an appropriate order for those starting out on a new business venture.

Amongst the chapters is advice on topics such as branding, pricing, working with others, hiring help, dealing with customers and marketing techniques (including blogging). The book also talks about how to find inspiration for your wo
June Gilbank
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great information in this book if you're starting out trying to sell handmade goods. Most of it wasn't relevant to me, as a) I've been in this business for quite a few years now, and know most of the basics, and b) I don't sell finished handmade products, so the sections on craft fairs, consignment etc, while interesting, wouldn't apply to me!

The tone is warm and friendly, and the layout and look of the book is charming. It's an easy and informative read. I did find a few sentences (about 3) th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist (Art Books, Gifts for Artists, Learn The Artist's Way of Thinking)
  • Starting an Online Business for Dummies
  • Blogging for Authors
  • New, Old, and Forgotten Remedies: Papers by Many Writers
  • Symbols of the Soul: Discovering Your Karma Through Astrology
  • The White Rabbit Chronicles: Alice in Zombieland / Through the Zombie Glass / The Queen of Zombie Hearts (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • Entrepreneurship for Dummies
  • How to Write Great Essays
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • Horary Astrology: Plain & Simple: Fast & Accurate Answers to Real World Questions
  • Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic