Start by marking “Myths of Greece and Rome” as Want to Read:
Myths of Greece and Rome

Myths of Greece and Rome

Orpheus leading his beloved Eurydice back to life … Ulysses battling to resist the mesmerising Sirens’ song … The tragedy of the vengeful Medea …

The timeless stories of the gods and goddesses of Greece and Rome are charged with passion and romance, magic and murder. Each one is brought to life beautifully in this lavishly illustrated edition of Thomas Bulfinch’s ‘The Age o
Published November 26th 1981 by Penguin (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about Myths of Greece and Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths of Greece and Rome

Miriam
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was my very first mythology book. My mother bought it for me in 1985, and I've been hooked on mythology ever since. I still love the photos of statues and the paitings used as illustrations. The fact that it's mostly in black and white was my only real complaint.
Daniel Polansky
I had a sort of wild hair to go back and read the Greek myths of my childhood. It turns out I mostly remembered all of the good ones, though, and I didn’t love the tendency Bulfinch has to bowdlerize all the juicy, weird, sexual or existential aspects of the myths—for instance, all the times Hercules gets drunk and kills someone and then feels bad about it and has to do lots of super human things to make up for it. I dunno, how do you review a book of Greek myths? Vulcan was always my favorite G ...more
Jenny Macdonald
If like me you have forgotten many of the legends you read as a youngster then this is a perfect book to refresh your knowledge. The author has done all the reading for you and has cleverly reduced the stories down to the basics without losing any information and managing to retain the beauty of the language. The volume is lavishly illustrated with copies of architecture, paintings and vases of the subject and this alone makes it great to add to one's collection.
Halo
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with great detail and practically ever myth, god, goddess and hero you could want to know about with both the Greek and Roman names throughout.

Would definitely recommend to anyone studying Greek or Roman mythology as it gives a great overview and interesting details with some variations to the myths told around the world.
Francielli Camargo
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Very interesting book about mythology. Vast in the stories and great art within the pages. But since I don't know much about most of the myths I found myself being confused and lost throughout the whole book, but nothing to discredite the quality of it.
Bohdan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, remember - nothing could stop me from reading and reading over the myths about Gods, herous and different Greek beasts...
Aisha
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Dear Readers ,

I Have read a book called Greece and Rome , by Thomas Bulfinch which is of work Myths.
This book reminds me of times now in days, because
Louise
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Another one of those 'it was an essential on the bookcase before the dawn of the internet'
Tsukiko
Nov 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was the czech translation, but reading this was a torture. There was absolutely no storytelling skill involved. I wonder how a book like this got published.
Shubhada Kale
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Treasure trove of information. A great read.
Angel Guerra
  • A Child Again
  • The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm
  • The Liar's Tale: A History of Falsehood
  • The Greek Myths: Vol. 1
  • Magical Justice (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Book of Prefaces: A Short History of Literate Thought in Words by Great Writers Of Four Nations From The 7th To The 20th Century
  • Greek Myths and Legends