Start by marking “Espresso Lessons: [From the Rock Warrior's Way]” as Want to Read:
Espresso Lessons: [From the Rock Warrior's Way]

Espresso Lessons: [From the Rock Warrior's Way]

Rock Warrior's Way: Mental Training for Climbers has been a consistently good seller since its publication in 2003. Espresso Lessons takes the material into practical climbing situations - it is the 'how to' application of The Rock Warrior's Way intended to build upon and complement it. The most challenging moment in rock climbing is when your mind doubts whether or not yo ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Desiderata Institute

To ask other readers questions about Espresso Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Espresso Lessons

Start your review of Espresso Lessons: [From the Rock Warrior's Way]
Tara
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic insights into the mental aspects of climbing, written in a clear and concise manner. Probably the best book I've read on rock climbing so far.
Heather Anne
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This will definitely be beneficial as I get back into climbing after my injury. Ilgner gives great excercises for practice to help me regain confidence not just in my physical ability but also my falling capabilities. My injury was not just in a no fall zone but just also a cocky climber doing she shouldn't and I've worsened the injury but thinking I could just start back where I had. Reading this book has helped me to understand that it is okay to go back to basics and rebuild from scratch my a ...more
Alex Vesco
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arno Ilgner makes a lot of sense in analysing the emotions of stress associated with climbing and presents it perfectly so that we really can derive comfort in those situations where we climb at or beyond our limits. Essential reading are the sections on belaying and falling. Excellent book.
maren topham
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valuable information

This book is well worth the time and money to read. It has great insights into the "limiting tendency" our minds create, and how to overcome those thought process. I love the practice clinics at the end of the book.
Matthew
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great lessons on the mental aspects of climbing. It has been a great start for a beginner and eye opening into the sport or climbing!
James Fountain
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great look into the meta of climbing

The is a great breakdown of managing the psychological stressors inherent to climbing. This book should be on every climber's to-read list.
Todd
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent psychology for climbers book. Worthwhile!
Alex Linschoten
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: climbing
Things you don't think about when you're climbing. Arno Ilgner has been working and writing about fear, technique and falling in climbing for years. This book is a distillation of some key insights he's had. I imagine this is a book I'll be returning to as I progress in the sport, but for a beginner there were some really useful parts. The key section for me was the one on falling, and on different ways of approaching this reality that confronts everyone, no matter what variety of climbing you'r ...more
Kiri
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book on the mental game of rock climbing that I've ever read... not that there are so many of those, after all! But it condenses the material in the author's other book and expands on it, and certainly delves deeper into the mental game than "The Self-Coached Climber" does, although that book is a superb manual for physical training.

After finishing this I am determined to put his practices to use. I am determined to practice falling and to change the way I respond to it
Mr. Godfrey
One of two really necessary books on rock climbing training. At least for me. If fear is a big limiting factor in your climbing, the lessons in this book will give you a path to dealing with it in a reasoned way. To be fair, the most valuable section of the book is the back. I pretty much skipped all the spiritual hullabaloo at the beginning. As an ex-Zen monk, I find I have very little patience for this sort of thing. That said, the exercises he describes are extremely helpful.
Leah
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Seems like a decent book for beginner leaders. But I felt like the whole book could be condensed into about 10 pages of useful information. And the anagrams drove me crazy. Good basic principles for leading.
Chris Schaefer
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: climbing
This is a great book I always find myself pulling off the shelf. It goes over each mental hurdle you might come across while lead climbing and breaks them down into manageable parts. I would recommend this to anyone looking to build mental grit while being on the sharp end.
Tomek
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although better than Rock Warrior's Way (less hand waving, more specific training methods), it still is about 60 pages too long. The whole beginning of the book is largely fluff in my opinion. His exercises for falling, however, are excellent.
David

• Alone on the Wall
  • Rant
  • How Music Works
  • The State of Affairs: Rethinking Infidelity
  • Training for Climbing: The Definitive Guide to Improving Your Climbing Performance
  • Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World
  • Calico Joe
  • Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain
  • Hangdog Days: Conflict, Change, and the Race for 5.14

News & Interviews

“To expand your comfort zone you need to take your body into the uncomfortable zone, experience it, and when it’s over, allow your mind to process the experience.” 1 likes
“Helpful hints: Be aware. All you can control is your attention. Question your status quo. Modify, don’t validate. Learning is converting stress into comfort. Incorporate falling practice into every climbing day. Find little ways to engage. BERP often! When you rest, rest; when you climb, climb. Practice is an end in itself. Enjoy the journey.” 0 likes