Start by marking “Lawn to Lawn” as Want to Read:
Lawn to Lawn

Lawn to Lawn

Not everyone loves lawn ornaments. But Pearl was different. Pearl was their friend—the only human who knew they were real.

So when Pearl’s family moves and (shockingly!) leaves their pink flamingo, deer, gnome, and lawn jockey behind, Flo, Betty, Norm, and Jack know what they must do. They must find Pearl no matter how long and perilous the journey.

Through cities and suburb
Published January 12th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lawn to Lawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lawn to Lawn

Allison
May 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
So I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. I like the idea (lawn ornaments set off in search of their owner, who has moved), and I like the art (I like Yaccarino's kitschy style, though I like his Costeau biography style best), but the plot was totally rambly. For one thing, it's never entirely clear which lawn ornament has which name. It just... rambled, without a clear buildup of action and with muddled jokes lost in the story -- no good zingy punchlines. Awesome premise, bad execution.
Mar 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: kids
The story is sweet if not spectacular, but the very mid-century modern illustrations and design are to die for.
Stefanie Burns
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Story about some lawn ornaments that are accidentally left behind when their owner packs up and leaves. They find the name of the development and set off on their own to find it. The ornaments are not very good with directions and travel all over the place and get stuck. Then the worst thing ever happens to them: the trash truck. Luckily, the trash truck actually took them to the right place and they were reunited with their owner.

Kind of a boring story with uninteresting characters.
Kelly
The story started out vague and didn't get much better.
Andrea
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Disappointing
Stacy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I've never read a picture book about lawn ornaments, so I was excited to read this book. My excitement ended there. The story jumped around and was all around bad. One minute they're in a trailer park (a breeding ground for horrible lawn ornaments) the next, they are at a racetrack. So sad; it was such a great idea.
Clarissa
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-fantasy
Lawn to Lawn by Dan Yaccarino is a page-turning quest following four heroes in search of their best friend. Four lawn ornaments, who are secretly alive, accidentally get left behind when their friend Pearl moves to a new house. Having never been away from the yard, the lawn ornaments must decide whether the treacherous journey that stands between them and Pearl is worth the risk. Off these brave heroes go, staying incognito and making new friends along the way. Will they find Pearl before the tr ...more
Cecilia
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are what we have grown to expect from Yaccarino, bright, crisp and beautyful! The story, that of lawn ornaments left behind after their owners' "move-up" from the countryside to "Ritzy Estates" is full of exciting adventures, until they are finaly reunited with young Pearl (who knew they'd come).

Though this adorable picture book does not work well for storytime,it may be enjoyed be independent readers or when shared with a parent.

The telling feels a little bit long and the ac
Loren
Jan 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why I did NOT like this book (I am a huge Dan Yaccarino fan)so I wanted to like this book! The illustration style is classic Yaccarino but his classic style simplicity is lost in this book. My favorite pages are the endflaps and title page for after that there is way too much going on and it is hard to keep track of the story, characters and narrative. In addition it is often hard to tell which character (Lawn Ornanment) is referred to throghout the story. Although I don't a lawn ornament, I am ...more
Carol
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
The lawn ornaments in Pearl's yard are devastated when the family moves and they are left behind. Only Pearl knows the decorations are real. The pink flamingo, deer, jockey and garden gnome decide to follow a map they found in the driveway until they are reunited with Pearl. Danger lurks around every corner in the form of the garbage truck. Will Pearl and the decorations have a joyous reunion? Or will they suffer a tragic end in the trash heap? Dan Yaccarino's illustrations are perfect for his q ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
Lawn ornaments make a come-back in this charming picture book. It tells the story of four lawn ornaments: a flamingo, gnome, horse racing jockey, and deer, who are forgotten and left behind when their owner, a little girl named Pearl, moves to a new home. Determined to find Pearl, the lawn ornaments leave the safety of their lawn, trying to avoid the dreaded trash truck and encountering many other types of statues on the way.

-Kelly M.H.
Cassie
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. Normally I can find something funny or enjoyable in most any picture book... but alas, I came up empty with Lawn to Lawn. The idea sounded very amusing, yet it simply didn't work. I couldn't understand why Pearl would leave the much loved yard ornaments behind without saying anything to her parents, and the story just didn't flow naturally?!? But who knows, I'm sure some kids in the library will check it out and enjoy it!
Jennifer Haight
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lawn to Lawn is about a group of lawn ornaments that go on a quest to return to their owner, a girl named Pearl who has moved away. I love many books by Dan Yaccarino and conisder The Fantastic Undersea Adventures of Jacques Cousteau one of the best children's picture books in the recent years, but this one just didn't quite materialize. The endpapers of the book are unfortunately, the best part. The story is awkward and clunky and predictible.
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I read some of the other reviews of this book because I really wanted to like this one. I agree with some of the other rewiers that while this book has a great story idea, lawn ornaments who get left behind in a move and set out to find their owners.

The story though was just not great. Certainly this book would not be a great read aloud, but I see students liking it if they read it on their own or with a parent (who can help explain some of the more vague moments).
Karen
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I usually am a pretty big Yaccarino fan. I still am; just not of this book.

The illustrations are great. Maybe this would have done better as a wordless picture book because the text was a bit rambling, distracting and just play weird in places. I kept thinking I must have skipped a couple of pages as I was reading this book out loud to my son.

Still -- great illustrations!
Dayna
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrensbooks
Oh I had such high hopes for this book. We really liked Mr Yaccarino's book on Jacques Cousteau. When I saw his name on the cover along with the vintage style illustrations and a story of lawn ornaments searching for their owner I thought it would be a huge win. I was sadly disappointed. The story was disjointed and lack luster.
Jun 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Usually, I love Dan Yaccarino's books, but this one was huge letdown. There were no transitions from page to page. The storyline was disjointed. A story about lawn ornaments could be very clever but this one was poorly executed.
Tricia
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
wow. the concept of the lawn ornaments in search of their former owner could have been amusing...but this book just misses the mark. had to sing the song from Bolt Barking at the Moon (there is no home...)during the travel sequences in order to keep the girls interested.
Matt
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Pair with Good Night, Garden Gnome by Jamichael Henterly even though I'm not super excited about either one.
Shanshad Whelan
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Cute idea . . . dull and overlong story The pictures are a little too busy and the story just never really comes together. I think I prefer Yaccarino when he sticks to rhyming text.
Jen
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
weird.
Clarissa
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute, as always loved the illustrations.
The Library Lady
Aug 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Very little kid appeal. Odd coming from Yaccarino.
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
The writing is many clicks down from the great illustrations!
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: alfred-a-knopf
Jennie Lanz
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is awful. No character introduction, plot holes, inconsistencies. Yuck.
Leva
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: grandcanyon2012
lawn ornaments
Katie Fitzgerald
Read during pre-k class visit on 5/22/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
The Book Box
Oct 09, 2016 added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me the other night. We LOVE Dan Yaccarino! The lawn ornaments were really cute, and reminded me of Yaccarino's cartoon.
Angie Quantrell
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny tale about lawn ornaments who are left behind when the family moves. This story tells how they travel long distances (while avoiding the garbage truck) to find their girl.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Digger Man
  • The Police Cloud
  • Moonlight
  • Harry and Horsie
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.