Start by marking “Don't Look Behind You!: True Tales Of A Safari Guide” as Want to Read:
Don't Look Behind You!: True Tales Of A Safari Guide

Don't Look Behind You!: True Tales Of A Safari Guide

A companion to 'Don't Run, Whatever You Do', Peter Allison recounts his lairy and often hilarious adventures in South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique and Namibia.
Published October 1st 2009 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Behind You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Behind You!

Start your review of Don't Look Behind You!: True Tales Of A Safari Guide
Brittany
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a little mixed up and read Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos before Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide. But I get the sense it didn't matter very much which order you read them in, in much the same way it doesn't matter which order you read Tim Cahill's books in.

My first impression of this book was a bad one, due to someone monumentally clueless being in charge of designing the f
Jesse Cozean
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I give my review of Don't Look Behind You!, I have to make two confessions that may color my response to Peter Allison's work. First, it was the first book I ever purchased, completely on accident, from Lyons Press. Secondly, I've been to Africa eight times and counting, and dreamed of dropping everything and moving there to watch animals and sunsets. So Peter, with his good taste in publishers and lifestyle choices, was a hero of mine before I even started reading.

That being said, I abso
Jeanette (Again)
I liked this author's first book a little better simply because there was a stronger focus on animals. This second book is very good, but there are a lot more stories about mechanical things (land mines, automobiles) and situations involving other humans (tourists, local authorities). There are also good animal stories, just not as many. Still an interesting and amusing book. You get to learn a little bit about a whole lot of different things in Africa: the culture, people, language, politics, a ...more
Rock Angel
This feels like a bunch of essays that didn't make the cut for Allison's first book ... sorry, I'm just not that into it. Perhaps I didn't see how a difficult water pump, a shark dive on his off-duty days, or his being thrown in jail b/c he didn't get a license had anything to do with preparing me for a safari. Perhaps the author forgot what it is that draws people to pick up the memoir of a safari guide in the first place (more animals, more animals!!) IMHO these personal accounts are more appr ...more
Sonia Almeida Dias
Now that we are closed at home due to this pandemic, we can only travel in books, and I plan to do a lot of that.
Earlier this year I had read the first book from Peter Allison, and really liked, so I thought I should give it a go at the second one, in the hopes to explore a little more of Botswana. Actually, I ended up reading not only about Botswana, but also Namibia, which now is another place I would like to visit in the future.
This book was a little different from the previous, in the sens
Suzanne
Peter Allison was a young Australian looking for adventure when he took on the job of leading safaris in Africa. His book is filled with his humorous (and sometime scary!) real-life experiences on the job. Very interesting and entertaining.
Mitch
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, biographical
Although this book did give me some insight into the life of a safari guide, as I'd hoped it would, the author's sense of humor took it somewhat outside the realms of reality at times. If he's to be believed literally, it's beyond possibility that he survived all the known and unsuspected risks he ran with his impressive list of physical limitations. (Fear of heights, natural born clumsiness, migraines, messed up joints and so forth.) Granted, this book covers only certain adrenline-producing ex ...more
Maddy Estherby
My Rating: 3.5 stars

This book was a really funny insight into the life of a safari guide in Africa - spanning across multiple years, there are lots of great and interesting moments as well as a lot of snorts of laughter.

My Thoughts:

This book was a really good one for people interested in the tourist world of Africa. I really enjoyed getting in to the world of a safari guide and as I am visiting South Africa next year and doing a safari, it really helped give some background in what to (or not to
Jolene
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with how to approach this review for the following reason. I think this is a very well thought out book and that it deserves some acknowledgement, but I honestly feel that I might have appreciated it more had I not enjoyed his first book so much, which is just frustrating. "Whatever You Do, Don't Run," gave this author a special place in my heart. When I read the first book, it was the perfect form of book therapy for what I was going through. He made me laugh at how ridiculous most ...more
Adite
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read both books in this series and enjoyed them immensely. Peter Allison writes about his adventures in a funny, interesting, self-effacing manner that puts the reader bang in the middle of all the action. He has an innate ability to laugh at himself and inject humour into the most deadly of situations. And of course, his love for the animals is paramount. I look forward to reading more from Peter Allison.
Susan
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with his previous book, entertaining, informative, funny, and a page turner.
Aspasia
Short quick read about a clumsy safari guide's adventures in Africa. Stories range from funny to sad. A nice read for a lazy weekend.
Danielle
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great second book for him. I found it just as funny as the first, just a little more heartwarming. Great read!
Terry Smith
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter's experiences in the bush are amazing. This volume has a few very sad stories and a lot of tense situations. Very glad he shared his life w/us.
Kathy Govreau
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly a delightful read! So descriptive that I felt like I was right there with him throughout the whole book!
Daniel Wood
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent as expected given the first volume. Will have you tittering and shaking your head in disbelief: how is this guy still alive?
Bec
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, it was exactly what I needed to read. Every time I read about animals, it seems to be about their extinction, or habitat loss or cruel death at the hands of humans. So, this book about mostly positive wildlife encounters within a protected setting by a person who is not a moron was a breath of fresh air. I once read a book about a cat loving dude who moved to New Zealand & lived by the beach with 4 cats. New Zealand, land of the flightless bird. But I digress. Yes, ther ...more
Lawrence
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible true tales from a world-renowned safari guide and celebrated author
Romantic notions aside, being a safari guide isn’t always particularly enjoyable or glamorous. Quite often it is beset with challenges, like having to spend a night in a thorn tree with marauding hyenas below. But safari guide Peter Allison lives for such moments. Here, the author of the widely praised Whatever You Do, Don’t Run details his time spent in safari camps not only in Botswana but also in South Africa, Mozam
MR Paul A Cadmore
more anecdotes with heart felt humour

Another great outing from this author conveying his love for the continent and it's myriad of wildlife with the same humour and passion as the first. I read thieves travel companion on my an trip to Africa and it naturally came up in conversation loads with my family who were reading the first book. Fireside anecdotes with just the right embelishment....
Jen
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable and sometimes hilarious read of the dangerous life in Africa as a tour guide. Though not as funny as the other book, this one offers more of an insight into the perils of animal life (from poaching and human encroachment), and the ridiculous situations he constantly finds himself in. It was both entertaining and educational.
Jeannine
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable, especially if you are someone like me who has always dreamed of going to Africa on a camera safari. Funny, exciting, informative and sometimes sad, Peter Allison takes you on his journey as a young safari guide in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. If this is not something on your bucket list, this might not be your book.
Jill
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of hilarious, and at times and hair-raising yarns from Safari Guide, Peter Allison. These are based on his experiences as a guide in South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique and Namibia. He is a natural born story-teller, knowing how to build suspense and keep the reader hooked, he is funny and has an obvious affection for the wild-life.
Matt Justinus
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I’ve read from Peter Allison. The first one was “Whatever you do, Don’t Run.” I have enjoyed both of them so much. The first book is great, and this one matches it and may be better. In this book we learn more about Peter and his life as a guide and beforehand. It’s a great book.
Connie Curtis
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seldom laugh out loud when I'm reading, but Peter Allison is hilarious when he's relating his adventures in the African wilds.

I've never had a desire to go on a safari, and I still don't after reading this; but I loved reading about his life with his beloved animals.
Melissa Denson
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining!

Although not quite as good as his first book, it is still entertaining. His experiences are both humorous and slightly terrifying. It gives you a great appreciation for Africa and animals.
L A GORMAN
Short stories of Africa

Slightly disjointed, Peter nevertheless tell some good stories about the real bush in Botswana and Namibia and makes me want to return. He makes me remember why I feel so emotional about the place and hate leaving any camp. Thanks Peter.
theworldawaits
Fun little read if you're heading out for an African safari.
Seth Nelson
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very good stories.
Jana
Even more entertaining now that we have been to Africa!
Rebecca Kissane
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent primer for our trip to Botswana. Lots of information on how to get the most from a safari. Our guides were almost as personable as the author!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story
  • Elephants Are People Too: More Tales from the African bush
  • An Elephant in My Kitchen
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • Elephant Dawn: The Inspirational Story of Thirteen Years Living with Elephants in the African Wilderness
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • The Elephant Whisperer
  • My Life in the Bush
  • Africa Bites: Scrapes and escapes in the African Bush
  • A Baboon in the Bedroom: Across Africa in a Land Rover called Stan
  • Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation
  • One Chance: Tales from the African bush
Peter Allison is an Australian writer whose books have focused on his time as an African safari guide, as well as his time in South America. He grew up in Sydney but at the age of 16 won a scholarship for study in Japan.[1] At 19 he travelled to Africa and became a guide for the Classic Safari Company.

He currently lives in Cape Town with his wife Pru, and their pet dog Mombo, where he works for Wi

News & Interviews