Start by marking “The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines

The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  2,948 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The British Army's Special Air Service is one of the world's premier special operations units. During the Gulf War, deep behind Iraqi lines, an SAS team was compromised. A fierce firefight ensued, and the eight men were forced to run for their lives. Only one, Chris Ryan, escaped capture or death, and he did it by walking nearly 180 miles through the desert for seven days ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Potomac Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

John Nicholl
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! Absolutely brilliant!
James
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the companion to Bravo Two-Zero this provides another point of view of the events that took place in Iraq during the first Iraq war. The major difference is that the author was one of the three which got separated from the other five members of the squad and was the only one to actually escape Iraq.

It is always worthwhile seeing the same events from different points of view, as all memories are coloured by perspective. The main difference in these two accounts is that Andy takes most of the r
graceymayy
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, it was fantastic. It gave me an in-sight view of what it was like for Chris Ryan. Kept me on the edge of my seat after each page.
Jared
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Justin Grieco
Spoiler alert... I discuss specifics within the book.

DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANYTHING SPOILED

Hm... deciding between a two and a three starrer for this one was tough. I ultimately decided for three stars because his account of stumbling through Iraq was interesting. His pub conversation style of story telling carries this type of story very well.
Still, just by his style and recollection, I know his type very well. While his story is amazing, it is just that. I am by no means calling him a
Sachahaworth
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking at the cover of the edition I bought, I think you'd be forgiven if you initally judged Chris Ryan to be a bit egocentric, because it bears the tagline "The real hero of Bravo Two Zero". Being published two years after Andy McNab's account of his experience in the same mission I translated that as "Do you know how difficult it is to escape from Iraq when there's a war on? Those other guys just sat there and people hit them!". Whether or not Ryan himself was responsible for the final cover ...more
Mark Maguire
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
This was an incredible book! I heard of the legend of Bravo Two Zero; I had watched numerous episodes of "Hunting Chris Ryan" on the Television, but until I had read this gripping book, I had no comprehension about the incredible mental, and physical challenges that the author had undergone during his record-breaking Escape and Evasion across Iraq to the relative "safety" of Syria. Indeed, some of the most memorable sections of the book occur during the authors' arrival in "friendly" territory. ...more
Dylan
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To say Chris Ryan is not a egotist would be a lie, pictures in this book show him walking through fire in a sort of "Rambo" style.
To say he is a hero is also a lie, he starts the story talking about how his nerves cut out, and moments in his remarakable trak make you want to go "But how could you do that?"
But one thing that is not a lie....Chris Ryan is damn impressive, strong willed and can get the job done, and if not, he can salavge something from it.
This work, which made him fairly well know
Bea
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first book i read from Chris Ryan in moment he became my favorite author. and i would also recommend this one as first book to read from him. i know why author didn't dig that much in feelings and it was cleat even he tried to keep a distance and give a reader as much as possible objective story of his survival. i'm sure a never could write this way same story, but that's why i appreciate it more. only when you realize what's behind the word, you can fully understand. there is no way to doubt, y ...more
Steve Wilkinson
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of war / survival / non fiction
My favourite book of all time and one I have read on many occasions. The story of one guy and the only guy from the Bravo Two Zero SAS team dropped behind enemy lines during the first Gulf War to escape.

The story goes from the beginnings of him being called up for service to the team being dropped and concentrates on his hundreds of miles walk to survival. The encounters he has and the way in which he and obviously the SAS are taught to survive is incredible to read.
Graham
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the impression that I might find THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY a bit boring - after all, I'd already read one version of the story in Andy McNab's BRAVO TWO ZERO. However, Ryan's authoritative tone adds his own spin to the proceedings.

The tale of the escape sees Ryan being pursued by vehicles, drinking radioactive water and murdering sentries. It's all Boy's Own adventure stuff written with a survivalist edge. A great story well told.
Carter.friedrichsen
This book is about a spy that goes behind enemy lines and gives information to his group. But somebody spots his group and has to go and rescue them. So this guy in this book does that. He goes to rescue them and he succeds in doing so. Then he gets the purple heart for his honor and bravery. I like this book because it was about war.
Andy B
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like a true story and one that shows the sheer battle with the elements within a war zone can kill you more than the enemy. Chris Ryan shows great guile, sheer perseverance and pure will to survive in one of the most hostile places on the planet at the height of a war that really had no winners. Great read, you feel like your taking the journey with the author.
Joe
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book and amazing when you take into account that it is in fact a true story.

The guy deserves many many more medals than he got for such an amazing escape which helps create more mystery about the SAS and probably helps attract more intense hardened nut cases to its ranks.
Tina Crossley
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally my bag, excitng and compulisve reading
Biscuitz
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-sale
If your reading Bravo Two Zero then you should read this, its another 1st person perspective of the same fateful mission.
Peter
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Micheal Tan
Shelves: war-non-fiction
Well done CR,deserve all the accolade.
Rich Gee
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing courage by an amazing soldier. Go SAS!
David Davies
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will not find a better real life special forces book.
Ben Jackson
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is was a great companion book to Andy McNabs Bravo Two Zero. It actually makes a lot more sense when you read both books, giving you two entirely different points of view of the same events.

After having recently finished reading another of Chris's books, I'm glad to see he made it through such a harrowing experience.
Mr. D
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as bravo two zero. plus chris puts andy down quite a bit through out the book. not so much about his time there just basically more about him. quite an egotistical memoire. he clearly went through a gruelling journey but do feel he was probably the luckiest of that lot.
Susana789
Hodnotím naráciu, tak 3 hviezničky, účasť "citlivej ruky" editora a prelínanie minulosti s rozprávanou udalosťou je profesionálne odvedené.
JanV
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariusz
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book, showing a different perspective on the same events from the acclaimed Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab. As can be imagined in the case of a book written by “the one who got away”, much more of the story is dedicated to escape and evasion, than in the case of McNab’s book, which is mainly focused on the author’s Iraqi captivity and interrogation. The latter’s focus is understandable, given his capture after only a couple of days from deploying to Iraq. Not as gifted a writer as M ...more
Christian Breinholt
8 men, SAS special forces, are deployed in Iraq during the first war in Iraq. Their mission is a complete disaster because they were deployded with wrong information on radio frequencies to be used. Excuse me? That of course don't deminish the personal bravery and recilience.
Boss Target
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shortly after reading Andy McNab's engrossing and aptly titled book "Bravo Two Zero", I was impelled to read Chris Ryan's personal rendition of the ill fated British SAS patrol. Bravo Two Zero's mission was to infiltrate and exfiltrate behind enemy lines with a single objective: to eradicate scud missiles. It didn't go quite to plan...

Four of the men were captured and held captive, beaten, and starved by the Iraqi "Secret Police" and another three died; two of hypothermia and one in combat...not
Barakiel
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I wasn't crazy about this book, it had a bitter, angry tone. I suppose he has a right to be upset, but it's not nice to read. I see some of the other reviewers on here say that he comes across as egotistical... I looked out for that as I read it, but didn't really feel that he was full of himself until the last few pages.

The fact that this is from a British perspective threw me. Even though I grew up with British English in our country, I am used to American television and literature. So MANY of
Dubysa
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nebloga knyga, bet perskaičius "Kraują ant parašiuto diržų" - jau truputį plastmasinė - per daug čia rankos pridėję redaktoriai/stilistai, o gal ir karinių paslapčių segrėtojai. Na, įvykiai ne tokie seni kaip Vietnamo karas (pasakjojamą paie pirmąjį Irako karą - 1991), bet visvien. Autoriaus "aš" truputį mažiau - ne ta prasme, kad mažiau apie jį, bet - per sklandi kalba, mažiau natūralizmo ir autentikos, vieotomis matyti, jog kas praleista, ten patylėta. Gal ne autorius čia ir kaltas, bet tada n ...more
Hilmi Isa
Seperti Bravo Two Zero,buku ini juga merupakan sebuah buku memoir separa autobiografi. Namun demikian,pada sudut pandang orang yang berbeza,iaitu Chris Ryan yang juga merupakan salah seorang anggota di dalam patrol 8 orang yang dipanggil Bravo Two Zero (B2Z) ketika Perang Teluk 1991. Chris Ryan merupakan satu-satunya ahli yang terselamat daripada ditangkap dan berjaya melarikan diri ke Syria yang bersempadan dengan Iraq.
Saya tidak mahu mengulas mengenai sejarah pasukan kecil B2Z dan misi mereka
Wytzia Raspe
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is in fact the tale of a long journey. A 290 km long walk in 7 nights out of Iraq into Syria and also the long mental journey described in the last chapter and in the long new introduction of what effects military life in general and such a traumatic event specific has on someone's personality. Those two things were exactly why I ordered it. Having been on the Iraqi border and defending refugees from that area for years myself and having listened to some of the stories someone told me ...more
Sally
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Summary
I found out about this book when I started watching Strike Back which was incredible!
I found Chris Ryan’s story to be an amazing testament to human fortitude - mental and physical. His fitness level to be able to survive what he did was mind-boggling. I was enthralled by the mundane mechanics of preparing, how he came to be Chris Ryan.
Some people have commented that they found him to be casting blame, I found just the opposite. It seemed he was taking pains to not cast blame and be as fac
  • Bravo Two Zero
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Task Force Black
  • Eye of the Storm: Twenty-five Years in Action with the SAS
  • Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • Operation Certain Death
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
Chris Ryan was born in 1961 in a village near Newcastle. In 1984 he joined the SAS. During his ten years in the Regiment, he was involved in overt and covert operations and was also Sniper team commander of the anti-terrorist team.

During the Gulf War, Chris was the only member of an eight-man team to escape from Iraq, of which three colleagues were killed and four captured. It was the longest esca
More about Chris Ryan

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“.'If things get on top of you', my mum always used to say, 'have a good cry.'.” 11 likes