Start by marking “Blackout” as Want to Read:
Blackout

Blackout

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  891 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
London. Paris. New York. One by one the power systems get swtiched off in three of the world's major cities, plunging them into darkness and chaos.

Is this the greatest terrorist spectacular since 9/11?

Josh Harding, a battle-hardened SAS soldier, is working undercover on anti-terrorist operations, tracking the leaders of al-Qaeda. He wakes up in a ditch in the wilderness of
Published May 18th 2006 by Arrow (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blackout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackout

Rory
Apr 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
A painful experiance from front to back. Amateur writing, childish dialoge, and predictable story. I usually hightlight my books with intersting quotes, worth while information or generally parks of the story i would like tonread again. I have 5 highlights from 420 pages of this book, which was reference to how badly written it was so i could remind myself how bad stories can be told. With the name Josh aprearing ever other sentence. I.e Josh felt like this, Josh walked here, Josh couldnt beleiv ...more
Sean C
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Weak, unrealistic plot. Total lack of believability. Previous reviews are outright lies.
Guy
Jul 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Those rating this above 2* need help!

I have read most of Chris Ryan's books and they vary from good to fantastic.

However this book is awful. I've still got about 60 pages left and will finish it, but it is so bad I thought I'd have a look on here to see if other readers thought the same!

We have a main plot of someone/group turning off the mains in the worlds major cities. Then we have "Josh" losing his memory. Instead of wrapping this up in a few chapters, we get the whole book of Chris trying t
Joe
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Slightly different book from Chris Ryan this time, still alot of action and the cringing sex scenes but this time not fighting in Iraq (I know there have been others). Set in the USA Josh wakes up with no memory but with two bullet holes instead and is instantly running for his life. Where is he, who is he, whats he doing here and most importantly, Why are there alot of people trying to kill him?

4 Stars
RickyB
Feb 20, 2015 added it
2.5 stars.
Leanne Burton
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First Chris Ryan book recommended by a friend. Great plot and fantastic twist - I didn't see that coming! couldn't put it down
Steven Trewin
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Have not read a RYAN book since his early ones about 15-18 years ago, I recall them being quite good.
This book however is one of the most poorly written action books I have ever read !
Cliqued, stereotyped drivel.
I hope I was just unlucky and picked his worst ever book which means things can only get better or at least I hope so for other readers. Not sure I will read any more of his (was it him?) books again.
David Roberts
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing the SAS thriller Blackout by Chris Ryan which is a very good novel which I bought at a car boot sale. Chris is an ex SAS trooper who fought with distinction in the First Gulf War and has since turned to being a fiction author. Him and Andy Mcnab are often credited with writing the first novels in the SAS thriller genre. His books do have lots of fascinating facts only an exsoldier would know. Things like cruise missiles travel at 500 mph and cost $2 million. In this novel the key ...more
amie-jay ensor
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mostly men, it is quite action and SAS orientatied!
Recommended to amie-jay by: My dad.
William
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I would give this a minor rating if possible. At the start I thought, even though I encountered this plot before, let us see how it is developed and tweaked to make a good story.

That was the high water mark for my experience with this book.
I listened to the audiobook narrated by a Brit who spoke as a Brit even though 98% of the dialogue was in the USA spoken by Americans. Don't you think that they could have hired one of about a hundred thousand actors capable of doing both?

Then there is the sto
Rachel Amphlett
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
By the time you hit the end of Chapter 1 of 'Blackout', you know you're going to be in for one of those classic Chris Ryan adrenalin-fuelled rides.

When Josh Harding wakes up in a ditch with two bullet wounds, his life on the run begins. Saved by a doctor and her war veteran father, Josh has to work out why so many people want him dead, while he tries to recover from his wounds and avoids capture.

Somehow, he's linked to the wave of power shortages sweeping the globe - he just can't remember why,
Marcus
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
For a while now I've been picking Chris Ryan's books whenever felt the need to schratch the urge for some good 'special ops' yarn. Usually Ryan delivers exactly that - nice feel of special ops, some professionally sounding dialogue, likeable 'operators', mariginally plausible plot, some sex and you have yourself a nice little book. This timer around however, Ryan failed me rather miserably. Paper-thin characters, and what's even worse, a plot that barely holds together all the way to the end and ...more
Ryan
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I begrudgingly picked this up at a secluded hostel in South Africa which had literally no other books in English, leaving me stuck with Blackout, a thriller / military spy novel written by Chris Ryan who — as best I can tell — has wide appeal among British and South African rednecks.

The book starts out with the main character getting amnesia, which is easily the most gimmicky possible plot device available to a writer. Although ridiculous and silly at times despite it's serious and stoic writing
Paul
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chris-ryan
Took me a while to understand what was happening at the beginning since the first two chapters were set at different locations. But once I got into the what was happening, I really enjoyed the story. I think there was a good balance between the characters and the story developing as well as the number of twists and turns at any given time (without overdoing it). The last part was sort of predictable, but then what was good was that it didn't drag on. A good read.
Duzzlebrarian
A good solid thriller. Chris Ryan has been on my list of authors-to-read-one-day for years, and I wasn't disappointed.

That said, I had a single quibble. The basis of the plot is that the juice goes off in a few cities for an hour. So? How is having no lights for an hour a catastrophe? Hasn't he heard of this newfangled contraption used in every single vital system called a back-up generator?
Vivek Agarwal
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good book with lots of suspense
The story unfolds well
The plot is good
A typical thriller

Not so much military as it is a hunt
I thought the ends no couldn't come soon enough

Because the few chapters in between we're dragging a bit

Overall a good book
Good read from Chris Ryan again

Gary
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Blackout is a good book and the ending is totally unexpected! the one thing I didn't like about it was thee fact that there were loads of spelling errors and the book should have been checked over properly
Samb
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I needed a change from Urban Fantasy and a thriller with a SAS connection was just the thing. Set primarily in Arizona with a very British hero who can't remember who he is, why he's there, and an interesting internet twist makes for a very good, intense read.
Suyash Agrawal
Aug 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Starts well and seems impressive till one finishes its prologue. Thereafter its an albatross hung around one's neck sucking all energy and time for weeks. Weak plot, predictable climax, immature writing and has everything that a good book doesn't.
Chris Harrison
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chris Ryan books that I have read all seem to go along the same lines, lead character meets woman who eventually double crosses him at the end...still enjoyed it though and will no doubt end up reading more of his books
Dale
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
The concept of this book sounded good. Yet it seems to have very little to do with that is described on the blurb. After a quarter of the way in to the book I finally decided I couldn't continue anymore...
Osarenren Ihaza
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is unlike any Chris Ryan book I've read; Blackout still has the same military action an all but there is not much of Iraq this time. It has a great plot with an incredible twist at the end. I'm looking forward to reading more books by Chris Ryan.
Ralph
Sep 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
One of the few books I didn't finish. I didn't like the writing.
Tina Crossley
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chris's books never disappoint - loved the excilleration and close references to real life situations
Jeremy Hughes
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Page turner usual an amount of reality needs to be suspended. Escapist nonsense. Or perhaps not as 'written' by Chris Ryan!
Ian
I didn't particularly enjoy his writing style, but the plot made it a worthwhile read, with an unexpected twist.
Geoff
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Good, solid UKSF fun.
Jaco Eksteen
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Dear Mr Ryan. Snakes don't blink. Otherwise, not too bad.
The Bomber
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good plot although and good action scenes good book overall but could have given some of the lesser characters a bit more personality
Tracey
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great !!!
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Operation Certain Death
Chris Ryan was born in 1961 in a village near Newcastle. In 1984 he joined the SAS. During his ten years in the Regiment, he was involved in overt and covert operations and was also Sniper team commander of the anti-terrorist team.

During the Gulf War, Chris was the only member of an eight-man team to escape from Iraq, of which three colleagues were killed and four captured. It was the longest esca
More about Chris Ryan...