Start by marking “The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)

The Thing Beneath the Bed

(The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)

This is not a book for children.

It looks like a children's book. It has pictures. It has a saccharine-sweet title. The main characters are a little girl and her teddy bear. But all of that is just protective coloration. The truth is, this is a book for adults with a dark sense of humor and an appreciation of old-school faerie tales.

There are three separate endings to the b
Published June 21st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Thing Beneath the Bed, please sign up.
Brex (Bookosaurus_Rex) Many modern adults would say no, but if you're old school and believe that a bit of scaring of children is fine, then yes. Very much like the original…moreMany modern adults would say no, but if you're old school and believe that a bit of scaring of children is fine, then yes. Very much like the original fairytales where they don't try to shield kids from every little thing. So it's really up to you. My nieces would love this. (less)

Patrick
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a pet project of mine that I've been working on with a friend for a couple of years now. It's a not-for-children picture book. I think of it as Coraline meets Calvin and Hobbes.

It will be released from Subterranean Press in July of 2010, and I'm really unreasonably proud of it.

If you want more details, you can read the blog I wrote about it over here:

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle.

Edit: The book is out now. The first printing is almost sold out....
Patrick
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Given, I have a personal fondness for this book, because it's mine. But I happen to love the this new paperback edition for several additional reasons:

1. It has a new author's note from me and Nathan Taylor, the illustrator.

2. It fixes a very few tiny mistakes nobody but me would ever notice or care about.

3. It's paperback, so it's cheaper.

4. A portion of the proceeds from the book go to Worldbuilders, the charity I run every year.

5. It has a bunch of Nate's original concept sketches in the
Bradley
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When cute fairy tales go *really* wrong. :)

Honestly, I watched this on youtube, with the author narrating it for an audience:

And he was even so helpful as to break it down and show us just how much of a kid's book this IS NOT. He even shows us how we READ IT WRONG.

I love this man. :)

So cute. So DARK. :)
Trish
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure #1: I've never read anything by Patrick Rothfuss although people keep recommending his stuff. I know about him thanks to a few retweets by Neil Gaiman but that's it.

Then, Brad gave me this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Q3N... and I watched and now ...

Disclosure #2: I can't stop laughing.

This is really not a children's book. Or is it? Well, it certainly depends on the child. *lol* Experiencing this story through Rothfuss' prose, his friend's art AND Rothfuss narrating it and
Terence
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed is a mildly disturbing tale. The biggest reason for that is that it looks like a children's book.
description
Let me assure you, you must trust the blurb this is not a book for children. I counted at least 5 moments that would cause my 4 year old daughter to never let us turn the lights off in her room again. My 4 year old can read well and I know that sounds cool, but she's been doing it since she was 3 and a half. The problem is ther
Jeff
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Rothfuss is a storyteller (The Name of the Wind), a father, a blogger (patrickrothfuss), a humanitarian (Worldbuilders), and more than a little insane:

Patrick (I feel I can call him "Patrick" since he will be haunting my dreams for many nights to come) gives voice to his insanity with The Adventure of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle. It is a story that is both touching and diabolical. A reminder of what it was like to be a child in a world fueled by imagination, it is also a cautionary tal
Wart Hill
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's a video of Rothfuss reading this.

It's so creepy.
Nnedi
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My daughter had the privilege of being one of the first people Pat read this to and she LOVED his reading of it. My daughter is 7 (she was 6 when he read it to her). She loves this book. Reads it over and over. Finds it hilarious. Mind you, my daughter loves animals. But she is also aware of the cycle of life and is not horrified when one animal eats the other (despite the fact that I, her mother, am a vegetarian). My point is that some kids will be horrified by this book, certainly. And some wi ...more
Macarena Yannelli
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ay Pat... Pat Pat. This is amazing.
Stephen
4.0 stars. I have been waiting for this to come out ever since I first read that Patrick Rothfuss was writing a "not for children" children's book and it did not disappoint. Diabolically clever, this is a book you will want to go back through a second time after you finish it so you can really appreciate the brilliance of the artwork that absoutely makes the story. Highly Recommended!!!!
unknown
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the easily amused, sycophants
Recommended to unknown by: The author (that's what I get)
Shelves: 2010, ooo-scary
Remember how the Calvin and Hobbes anthologies would start off with some elaborate, full-color artsy extended bit of weirdness from Bill Watterson? My favorite was "A Naseous Nocture," an long poem about something creepy under the bed in the closet, with lines like this: "In the morning, they’ll come in/And say, 'what was that awful din/We heard last night? You kept us both from sleep!' Only then will they surmise/The gruesomeness of my demise/And see that my remains are in a heap."

The Adventure
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and UTTERLY DISTURBING!!!!!!
Syd the Kid
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, mystery
This fucked me up.

(I wish this wasn't out of print so that it could be a part of my library)
Veronica Belmont
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is seriously awesome, and also SERIOUSLY not for kids! The illustrations are fantastic, and most adults will be sufficiently creeped by the storyline.
Liz
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Rothfuss' The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed is a darkly funny little faerie tale packaged in a sweet little picture book.

It is most definitely not for children.

Nate Taylor's illustrations are sweet, whimsical and absolutely morbid-- something that makes the ending of this tale all the more...biting.

I loved it.
Haiku Reviews
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violence
For the Dark Humor
The ones who love night monsters
The bumps and thumps there

I was so surprised
By how much I enjoyed this
It’s a dark twist tale

I’m not a hobbs fan
So I don’t compare the two
It’s a good read though
Sophie
This was very fun, but definitely not for children!
Kwoomac
Also missing. What's happening?
Peter
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This long-awaited gem showed up in the mail today, much to my delight. Read it once in about five minutes, laughing out loud several times. Then read it a second time more slowly, poring over the background details of Nate Taylor's luscious art.

Promoted as a not-for-children children's book, the ending is not for the timid, but delightfully wicked.

Recommended.
logankstewart
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
So long ago I don't remember when I first heard about Patrick Rothfuss' not-for-children children's book. What began as a bedtime story he told his girlfriend made its way to publication through Subterranean Press. I put my copy on reserve months ahead of time and, eventually, the book arrived at my house.

At a cursory glance, The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle seems like any other children's book. The cover has a cute little girl and her stuffed teddy bear playing in a creek. Even th
Eric
The description of this book boasts: "The truth is, this is a book for adults with a dark sense of humor and an appreciation of old-school faerie tales." But the old school Grimm's faerie tales had a lot more meat on their bones -- pun intended, if you've read this book -- than this little illustrated edition. And while the art was beautiful, it felt... lacking. The whole thing probably had one hundred words in it, and they weren't used to tell much of a story, just to jump from one not-terribly ...more
S.N. Arly
This is an awesome and terrifically fun take on the whole locked away princess tale. Have you ever wondered WHY she's locked away? Well here's your answer.

The pictures are engaging (and even more entertaining on the second read). Be sure to watch the background for the aftermath of the battle on the bridge, analyze that buried treasure and take note of the placement of the locks and spikes on the gate.

The story has three endings. The first is sweet, the second is suggestive of horrific events, a
Laura Baugh
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I had pre-ordered the book, and it came with the promised "This Shit is Not for Kids. Seriously." sticker to place on the front cover. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put the sticker anywhere; the cover art is delightful and balanced, and I felt the sticker might spoil it.

Then I finished the book, and I applied the sticker.

I'd heard the first two thirds of the book before, read by Rothfuss, and I had an idea of what to expect. The ending doesn't disappoint, but it's probably not the thing
Book Him Danno
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
My 3 through 8 year old kids would love this book(they love scary stories just like their dad). It comes off sweet and innocent with a taste of darkness hanging out in the corner just out of range.

I asked myself throughout: Why is this girl all alone in this marzipan castle with no one around but her teddy bear? Why is she stuck behind a gate with a big lock on it? Why are there spikes on the inside of the wall, are they trying to keep her in? After playing war with her stuff animals did she rea
Karen
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-2017
The Thing Beneath the Bed has three endings. You can keep proceeding to the last one or stop at any of them but at 72 pages you are all but guaranteed to keep reading.

There are multiple warning that despite looking like a children's book this is NOT a children's book and I gotta say (view spoiler)
Kim
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time and on my recent trip to the US I finally got a chance to pick up a copy.

It's only a small book but well written with beautiful artwork. The tale of a sweet little girl and her teddy in a big castle there's an inkling from the beginning that something is not quite right. I won't say anymore on the story as I don't want to spoil anything but if you've got a bit of a twisted streak and a dark sense of humour I'd recommend taking a couple minute
Tsedai
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This shit is definitely not for kids. But it is amazing.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not really a book for children - it is modeled after books for children - there are three possible endings...one is quite shocking.
frogfairie
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars

The thoughts that went through my head as I was finishing the story:
“No… she *didn’t*.”
(flip back a page, re-read & continue)
“Ohhhh. She *did*. HA HA HA!!”
Alicia
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect way to usher in my Halloween reading! A children's book for adults...dark, hilarious...and with three different endings! Deeeeelightful!!!
Around the Year i...: The Thing Beneath the Bed, by Patrick Rothfuss 3 31 Jul 23, 2016 09:28AM
Goodreads Librari...: Other editions not linked 6 153 Oct 30, 2012 01:43PM

• Porcelain: A Gothic Fairy Tale (Vol I)
  • Tacky's Christmas
  • The Evil Garden
  • Clash of the Geeks
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius, #2)
  • I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon
  • Unfettered (Unfettered, #1)
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Even the Queen, & Other Short Stories
  • A Book
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • Betsy Who Cried Wolf
  • Toad Words and Other Stories
  • Digger, Volume Six
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
  • Comic Genius: Portraits of Funny People
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle (2 books)
  • The Dark of Deep Below (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #2)