Start by marking “Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions” as Want to Read:
Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions

Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  7,937 Ratings  ·  685 Reviews
Most of the denizens of the Antarctic penguin colony sneer at Fred, the quiet but observant scout who detects worrying signs that their home, an iceberg, is melting. Fred must cleverly convince and enlist key players, such as Louis, the head penguin; Alice, the number two bird; the intractable NoNo the weather expert; and a passle of school-age penguins if he is to save th ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Our Iceberg Is Melting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Iceberg Is Melting

David
I knew it was time to leave the corporate world when our vice-president, a friend who had been a truly smart woman when we first started to work together, bought 300 copies of this trendy 2006 business fable* (involving penguins and melting icebergs) for the entire division.

Not entirely coincidentally, the day that the invitation to the offsite meeting for an all-day training exercise based on the book showed up on my calendar, was the day that I gave notice.

I got out of there just in time. Ano
Dirk Grobbelaar

For such a short book this was a surprisingly tedious read.

I know that change is inevitable and that people are more often than not resistant to change, hence the need for change management. This little book sets out to make it a bit easier to relate to, and to highlight the importance of change and the pitfalls of change management. It also attempts to discuss the dangers of not changing in a dynamic environment.

The problem is, there’s nothing really new here.

As to whether this book will actu
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Company visitors from the USA
Enjoyable easy read. It is hard not to like this book especially if you read only one or two books in a year. You will like this book if you are working in a corporation that believes in continuous improvement driven by the desire to be the best leader and world-class. You will take this as a work bible if you want to be part of a big change and that your contribution is being desired and valued. Why not? Change is the only thing permanent in this world. When there is a change, we need to recogn ...more
Anthony
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I wondered how this book was different than "Who Moved My Cheese?" The answer is that this book deals with organizational or social change, while WMMC? deals mostly with personal change.

The book accurately "types" people in a creative way, and subtly offers real tips for persuading large groups of people. Sadly, some people who read this book will not be swayed by it - not because the information is untrue, but because people are unaware of what they are doing and how they are feeling.
Jill
May 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good grief! This was being touted as the "go-to" book for organizational learning and dealing with change. Yes, the premise is cute and readable, and contains John Kotter's excellent business sense of operational strength and leadership. But the true brilliance of this book is that it costs $26.00 and businesses will be buying it by the bucketful and subjecting their teams to yet another interminable day or weekend long work retreat to identify their inner penguins. I suggest you go to the books ...more
ليندا
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جبلنا الجليدي يذوب ...رواية ...عن البطاريق :))
من أبسط وأعمق ما قد قرأت ...وكأنها قصة عن النهضة بسلوب يكاد يصل لمستوى الروائي الطفولي ..
لا استطيع ان اقوم بالمهة وحدي
1_لن نتحد ما دام كل منا يشير إلى اتجاه معاكس لغيره

2_ جماعة البطاريق الذين يريدون التغيير ويؤمنون بضرورته:
الناس لن يفهموا كلماتنا المفلسفة ...سنسرد لهم كل الأمر بداية بأسئلة ثم سنروي لهم القصة ..قصة التغيير والاكتشاف .
بدأ بطريق بسرد أسئلة على جماعة البطاريق وكان محور الاسئلة يدور عما يحترمونه من قيم وما يكنوه من احترام للمعتقدات. كانت
Ramy
الكتاب سهل و بسيط و هو من نوعية كتب التنمية البشرية و التى تعتمد على قصة مرمزة ل جذب اهتمام القارىء اكثر من مجرد كتاب تنمية بشرية ذو عناوين رئيسية و عناوين فرعية.....
الكتاب هو اشبه ب كتاب من الذي حرك قطعة الجبن الخاصة بي ؟ و لكن على مستوى community
اكبر ..جماعة من الناس فى فريق او شركة او مصنع او مدرسة .... تجمع من الناس ترتبطهم مصالح و ميول مشتركة

الكتاب يتحدث عن ضرورة اعتناق التغيير لكيلا تجرفنا الحياة و تحولنا ك الديناصورات او ك بطاريق جبلهم الجليدى مهدد بالذوبان و هم مهددون بالتشتت و الضياع
Malissa
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not about global warming!
What would you do if you found out the community you live in and had been lived in by your ancestors for years was suddenly going to be non-existant? How would you handle it? What if you found out that the company you worked for had to undergo a major redesign? What if you had to implode all that you have known? Could you handle it? How would you handle it? This books give you 8 simple steps to make it through this process/this journey of change by telling a fable.
Mark Steed
Fables have a deceptive power. On the surface they read like the stories of our childhood employing simple vocabulary to describe everyday contexts to which we can all relate. Their narrative structure lulls our adult brain into a false sense of security, disabling the rational analytical faculties that usually protect our cherished world view. We uncritically play along with the story until we reach the point where the fable's inner truth is unavoidable. So it is with John Kotter's Our Iceberg ...more
Bilal Anis
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A good book about change management narrated in a very simplistic language and in the method of storytelling. The book helps businesses and communities move from old to new territories to cope with their own environment. The main theme of the book is how change can be very difficult and it should be worked out with good planning and team effort. The 8 phases of change management according to Kottler are:

1. CREATE A SENSE OF URGENCY

Help others see the need for change through a bold, aspirational
L
Jul 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who can not think explaining it to those who can not lead.
Shelves: below-average
They need to stop killing trees for these kinds of books, even if they are used in 'board rooms and leadership committees'.
With the rise of the jejune, it makes me wonder if people who received MBA's in grad school are those who changed degrees after they failed basket weaving classes.
A note for those in US board rooms and leadership committees who initiate cruel and unusual punishment by forcing others to share in your literary high wierdness:
If there are a number of elementary school level b
Sabrina Kammer
In der heutigen Gesellschaft wird das Thema Veränderungen gross geschrieben - auch an mir geht es nicht einfach so vorbei.
Tagtäglich lernen wir immer mehr dazu - ob das nun im beruflichen Bereich ist oder im Privaten. Wir lernen nie aus und wenn man betrachtet, wie schnell sich die Gesellschaft weiter entwickelt und was von uns gefordert wird, sind wir beinahe gezwungen, uns weiter zu entwickeln und mit dem 'Trend' zu gehen. Denn wenn wir nicht immer mehr dazu lernen, werden wir irgendwann den A
Louis Prosperi
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and interesting fable using the story of a colony of Emperor Penguins as a metaphor for how an organization can go about making a needed change.

I enjoy business books in general, but among my favorites are the "story"-based books, such "The One-Minute Manager", "Who Moved My Cheese", "Inside the Magic Kingdom", "The Go-Giver", "It's Not About You", and others. These books take complex and sometimes fear-inducing subjects (like change) and present them in friendly ways to help readers under
Katy Krumbach
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of penguins find themselves on ice which develops cracks. When the alarm is raised that the group needs to move to a more stable piece of ice the others in the group respond in very familiar ways: denial, admitting the problem but refusing to discuss consequences, panic and fear, and those who seek a solution.

The situations and reactions to the iceberg melting are clear, identifiable, and are easy to relate to the personal experiences. Kotter invites the reader to imagine how others are
Abdullatif
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
اجمل شيء في هذا الكتاب ان البطريق يمكن ان يقدم عرضاً للبطاريق الاخرى بواسطة الباور بوينت !!!

كتاب يتحدث عن اهمية التغيير ( ان كان لا بد منه ) تحت اي ظرف و في اي مكان شرط توفر الارادة و النية.

انصح بقرائته لفائدته الجمة لمختلف الاشخاص الذين يعملون في كافة مجالات الحياة.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Our iceberg is melting...we are a group of penguins living on the iceberg...should we work with each other to find a solution or just do what we want to do by ourselves? Excellent book on how to manage change.
محمد عبدالمجيد
كتاب رائع غير كثير من المفاهيم
أنصح به كل من يسعى لإحداث تغيير ناجح
Christopher Safieh
Our iceberg is melting

✩✩✩✩
I give 4 star to this book, I liked it. It was a story about a penguin colony whose iceberg was melting. All the things that they had to go through to overcome this challenge, and all the steps that they went through to succeed. This book was written as fable, so it was entertaining and at the same time you were learning. This is a book that is easy to read.

I think that this book, will help me in my heros journey. This book, taught me many things that will help me dur
Jim Johnson
Mar 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not sure what to say about this book. We were given copies of this book by our management team at work in connection with a pending divisional restructure. I think the book was intended to help us adapt to change but I don't really see a parallel between the fabricated and factually flawed fable of penguins on a melting iceberg and what we are facing at work.

The author actually did a good job of covering known facts about Emperor Penguins (e.g. their diving depth, lung capacity, and relianc
Eslam
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
سأحاول كتابة أفكار مشتتة مستخرجة من الكتاب

كن إيجابيا و ثق بنفسك عندما ترى خطأ ما فعليك محاولة اصلاحه.

لا تتقدم لاتخاذ خطوة عملية إلا بعد أن تحضر كل البراهين اللازمة على صحة رأيك بما لا يدع أى مجال للشك لدى الآخرين

توقع أن الجميع ليس من المفترض أن يتحمسوا لك. سيوجد المتكبر الذى لا يستمع لرأى الآخرين, و المتكلس المعادى للأفكار الجديدة, و الغير مكترث الكسول, و الذى يهوى الجدال الكثير لمجرد الجدال و حسب. كل هؤلاء سيكونون عقبة فى طريقك

اختر شخص فى دائرة صناعة القرار يتسم بالموضوعية و التفتح و قوة الشخصي
Jonathan Noble
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple tale, with hidden depth, outlining what is required to lead effective change. I wish I'd read this book years ago!
Teresa Raetz
Meh. There is some good stuff here about managing change, I suppose, but nothing that will rock your world. The fable format is a very quick read, and is easily accessible by almost any audience, but that also means it's extremely lightweight. I found it to be unintentionally funny in some places (e.g., a leadership group gives a child a broken bottle as a reward -- a bottle that has special meaning to the adults, but a broken bottle nonetheless) and gag-worthy in others. For example, a leadersh ...more
Sumit Singla
The shy, unassuming Fred is worried. The home of the Antarctic penguins, their iceberg is melting. But of course, the powers-that-be doubt him and think he's plain delusional.

How does Fred go about convincing them? How does he adapt to the styles of various senior penguins and convince them? This fabulous fable is powerful because it offers real-life ideas on how to convince different types of people.

The illustrations help in explaining the 8 principles that help in bringing about change, using
Nichole
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Changing and Succeeding
Work together for a needed change! They were skeptical of a nomadic life but when tried there was more food, prosperous environments and more resources. To keep a program successful strive harder and have faith. Page 123 "1- Created a sense of urgecy in the colony to deal with a difficult problem 2- put a carefully selected group in charge of guiding the change 3- found the sensible vision of a better future 4- communicated that vision so others would understand and accep
Julie (jjmachshev)
Three and a half stars. Yet another work read and this one sticks in my mind. Probably as much for the entertainment value as the educational one. How to identify and work with those resistant to change (for whatever reason) without letting them, yourself, or your work get sidetracked.
Adrian Luben
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice and easy fable. It's packed with many hidden examples and it's easy to remember them, when you need it most.
Maureen
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there would have been more elaboration at the end of the story. I love penguins, so I enjoyed the story. It just felt incomplete to me at the end. Very interesting material to present though.
Radwa
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration

كتاب اخر من كتب عديدة تطالب بالتغيير إذا لزم الأمر والتعامل معه وتقبله

الحقيقة لست مهيأة لأي تغيير في الوقت الحالي
Stacy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way the author put it in a story kind of way so when you slowly start to get in contact with that thing the book is about it might be help. For me I read it like a story.
Megan
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Good book to illustrate the change process. Very good to give to managers to help their employees through.
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh
  • Who Killed Change?: Solving the Mystery of Leading People Through Change
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • Managing in a Time of Great Change
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Squawk!: How to Stop Making Noise and Start Getting Results
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, The Heart of Change, and his latest book, That's Not How We Do It Here!. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a change management an ...more
More about John P. Kotter...
“all the atoms vibrating on the same frequency—which” 0 likes