Jump to ratings and reviews

Busy Bees At Work And Play

Bambina Bee learns the importance of work and play on a tour of her town. As Mamma Bee heads out to work, Bambina Bee anxiously begs her to stay at home. To soothe her little bee's concerns, Mamma Bee takes Bambina Bee on a tour of the neighbourhood that transforms the bustling world of work into a wonderland of joyful activity.

32 pages, Hardcover

First published March 1, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (66%)
4 stars
3 stars
2 (33%)
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Monique.
40 reviews44 followers
March 21, 2010
From the back cover: Join Momma Bee and Bambina Bee as they learn that there is a time for work and a time for play.

As Momma Bee and her daughter are leaving the house in the morning, the daughter Bee asks her mom why she must go to work, instead of staying home to play.

Momma Bee uses this as an opportunity to teach her daughter about the important jobs each bee has. Throughout the rest of the book Momma Bee shows her daughter, Bambina Bee, just what each bee's role is in the community. From the Letter Carrier Bee who likes to skate in his spare time to the Policeman Bee who relaxes by playing golf, this book describes the journey of a child Bee learning what grown up Bees do for work and for play. Once the daughter understands how important these jobs are, then she'll understand why Momma Bee goes to work first, and then is able to play later.

While each worker has an important role whether it is in keeping the community healthy, transporting people to and fro, fixing their computers and their sinks, feeding the bees by growing fruits and vegetables, or keeping the zoo animals happy, they all like to play when they're not working.

In each illustration there is little clue about what each bee likes to do when he's not working. The Plumber Bee likes to play football, the Ferryboat Bee likes to fish, and the Chef Bee likes to scuba dive. But each bee must wait until their work is done, before they're able to play.
It just so happens that on this day it is a holiday so all of the bees are at the park playing! When Bambina realizes that other bees except for her, have been given an important role, she says she wants to work too. Then Momma Bee explains – children bees do work – at being themselves!

Moms and daughters and aunts and uncles work. But, when they're done working, at the end of the day, then they are able to play.

My daughters and I enjoyed this book. The story rhymes, and since the description of each worker follows the same pattern, they were able to anticipate the flow of the story. They knew the question would be asked “And when work is done at the end of the day, How does (this) Bee like to play?” Then they would search the picture for object which answered the question. The pictures are cute and the girls like the big, big eyes on each of the bees.

This is a keeper for our bookshelf. It helps children understand what parents do when they go to work.

Disclosure: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
8 reviews
March 25, 2010
Such a cute book! Busy Bees at Work and Play is a simple book for preschoolers and early elementary school children written by M. Maitand DeLand, MD.

As Momma Bee prepares to depart for work, her daughter, Bambina Bee, asks a question that many mothers of preschoolers have heard at least once, "why do you have to work today?" Momma Bee uses this as a teaching moment and explains to Bambina that there is a time to work and a time to play. She continues on explaining the importance of each worker in the community.

Some of the important jobs highlighted in the story include the mail carrier, the plumber, the doctor and the farmer. I like how the author chose to bring the modern world into the story by introducing 'Computer Bee' who "fixes the cables and cords so Ben Bee can reach the computer keyboard. Awesome.

As each worker bee (how clever to use bees!) is discussed, the illustrations provide a subtle hint about how that particular bee likes to play. For instance, near the foot of Computer Bee there is a puppy wagging its tale eager to play Frisbee. Another example is the policeman who has some golf clubs in the backseat of his patrol car.

Parents! You must get this book for your little one. It is a great resource to introduce your children to various jobs in the community as well as fun ways to play. It is also an excellent tool for homeschooled children. This could very well serve as your spine -a springboard for further study.

I enjoyed this colorful pictures and well drawn characters in this book as well. Bravo! Good Work! Check it out and see for yourself.
Profile Image for Tiffany.
160 reviews18 followers
April 28, 2010
Busy Bees at Work and Play is an adorable story about a mama bee and her daughter. Her little girl, like most children addresses the question of “Why do you have to go to work? “ Bambina Bee wants her mommy to stay home and play with her! Mama bee quickly explains to Bambina bee that , “throughout the day, there is time for work and play.” She takes her Bambina on a tour around town and shows her how each bee working helps the community. Bambina Learns about the many different jobs the bees have and what they do throughout the day. At the end of the day, everyone takes time to play!

This book is an attention grabber! My daughter remembered the name of the book five hours after I told her the title. I had not yet read the book to her, just showed her the cover and read the title when it arrived in the mail. She said “It’s the great, great, great! I learned you have to work and play. Work comes first. I liked the farmer bee best.” Not only was my daughter full of questions and comments on this book, she was interested and inquisitive. My husband noticed that she was searching through the book and asked what she was looking for. She replied, “The authors name!” This made me very happy that she is learning books have stories, but also authors that create the stories. This book is adorable, and informative in a fun way. The illustrations are beautiful and vibrant. It reminded me of the Bee movie. I would recommend this book for children 2-6 years of age. It will be a delightful addition to your child’s library.
Profile Image for Leslie (That Chick That Reads).
294 reviews43 followers
June 21, 2010
I abs loved this book! I sat down one day and read it to my friends son and every time I turned the page, he would just jump because there’s so much color and the illustrations done by Lyn Martin were beautiful! The story line was very cute and funny. Every page has rhyming lines and it does help explain to little ones the importance of work and the difference of play in the world and how they intermingle. If you want something cute, original, with beautiful and I mean beautiful illustrations, then this book will do it! It’ll be one that’s read over and over at bedtime!
Profile Image for Farrah.
187 reviews11 followers
June 6, 2010
Cute, colorful book about why we must work and when the time is for play. Little One (4 years old) and I enjoyed imagining what each bee might be doing when they weren't working.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.