Start by marking “The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)

The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912

(I Survived #1)

The most terrifying events in history are brought vividly to life in this new fictional series! In book 1, ten-year-old George is trapped on the Titanic -- how will he survive?

Ten-year-old George Calder can't believe his luck -- he and his little sister, Phoebe, are on the famous Titanic, crossing the ocean with their Aunt Daisy. The ship is full of exciting places to expl
Published June 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912, please sign up.
Ashley Lewis You probably know this by now but you can't read books off of here. You have to get the book elsewhere. Goodreads allows you to keep track of books…moreYou probably know this by now but you can't read books off of here. You have to get the book elsewhere. Goodreads allows you to keep track of books you want to read and have read(less)

Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book in two sittings with my 9-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son. Suspenseful, well written, and filled with interesting characters, my kids didn’t want me to stop reading the second night so that it was 10 pm when we finally turned the last page.

I had two different reactions from my children by the end of the book. My daughter, who is sensitive, liked the story but was so saddened by the tragedy of the Titanic that she couldn’t sleep afterwards. The author deftly drew
Juli
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George Calder is 10 years old and just spent a fun time in England with his Aunt Daisy. Now George, his little sister, Phoebe, and Aunt Daisy are all steaming towards New York on board the Titanic. George is a bit rambunctious, getting into trouble for things like sliding down the main staircase railing, but he's just enjoying the trip. The Titanic is huge, very ornate and there is just so much to see and do. It's a bit overwhelming. They meet a nice Italian man, Mario, and his 4-year old son En ...more
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
I like this one!
It has an interesting story, characters I cared about, very intense throughout and has some cool illustrations (though is mostly prose).
It is predictable (view spoiler) and one chapter in this really seemed like filler (the panther scene, had barely anything to do with it).
Overall it
Steven
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a boy named Goerge who is on the ocean liner Titanic. While he is on board he meets new freinds, explores the ship, and he learns everything he wants to about the Titanic. But one thing he doesn't know that the ship is doomed and is caught in the sinking. Will he survive? Read the book to find out!
Beau
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is vary detailed, You feel like ur in the same position as the main character.
Becky Carleton
Jul 22, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kids
My nine-year-old daughter loves this book. Kids with an interest in adventure, history, and tragedy? This is the book for them.
Katie McNelly
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this with my students but I’m definitely counting it!
Amazing examples to help teach:
- Symbolism
- Historical Fiction
- Foreshadowing
- Conflict
And Flashback!

(Among others!)
Highly recommend this series for any elementary and middle school classroom!
Austin W
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
i liked when Enzo hugged George on his leg
Jessica Sheaffer
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-fic
I read this book on my Kindle, and here is my review:

I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912, is the first in a series of historical fiction chapter books written for upper elementary readers. The author, Lauren Tarshis, notes that the facts about the Titanic are true, but the characters are fictional. Tarshis tells a gripping tale of how George (a ten-year-old boy) and his family survived the tragic loss of the “unsinkable” Titanic on April 15, 1912. The story begins with a “flash-forward”
Katie Lawrence
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
An action-packed historical fiction adventure book set on the Titanic, I can easily see why my students love this series so much! This was a very fast read that quickly jumped into the actual sinking of the Titanic and did not shy away from the fear and tragedy this event brought into so many people's lives.
Meg McGregor
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was a Middle School Reading, History, and English teacher for almost 30 years! How did I not know about this series?

Another reviewer, Phillip, recommended one of the books in the series, and I decided to get them all from my library!

I really enjoyed it this story! I love learning new things and Ms. Tarshis writes about the past so vividly, it is like she was actually there; you get the feeling that she is telling you about personal events!

I can fully understand why students would enjoy reading
Hannah Smith
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 is an amazing historical fiction novel that I would primarily use in fourth grade. This novel is based on the true events of the Titanic while telling the story of a little boy George, his sister Phoebe, and their Aunt Daisy's journey back home to New York. George being a ten year old boy was naturally curious and loved to explore the ship, which caused some trouble when he decided to sneak into the first class baggage room hoping to find a mummy. When ...more
James
Jan 15, 2019 added it
Name: James Cunningham spoiler alert

Book title: I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic 1912

Personal Response:
I like the book because of the story. I like what it is talking about, but in some parts, it just drags it out. I enjoy reading about events in history.

Plot: So, in the beginning, it starts while the ship is sinking, and then it goes back about a day. The main character, George, starts telling stories about before he was on the ship. He tells a story about a panther, but later that night,
Matthew A
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: third-ine-weeks
George Calder, a boy living on a farm in New York, has a once in a lifetime experience to go on the Titanic. When George, Aunt Daisy, and his sister Pheobe stay on the Titanic, it doesn't go the way they, or anyone hoped. George goes down to the luggage to see if someone really did bring a mummy on board, but at that moment there is a big clash.
This book was really interesting, I liked how it didn't focus on one person but really focused on different characters. people who like the I Survived s
Amairani
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 by Lauren Tarshis was a very entertaining to read. George is a passenger on the famous Titanic along with his sister and aunt. Everything seems to be going great and George feels very curious, wanting to know more about the ship. Everything changes though when an iceberg hits the ship and it starts to sink. I recommend this book to anyone that likes this movie and would like to see it from an even closer perspective.
Lily Newman
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George a ten year old is on the titanic with his sister Phoebe and Aunt Daisy. And like everyone else he thinks the ship is unsinkable so he relax's. He was exploring the ship and then it violently shook. Water starts seeping through the ship. The ship goes under little by little with people panicking. Terrified he tries to find his sister and Aunt. He was shocked and scared because he wouldn't have excepted that to happen. I recommend this to people who like fiction realistic.
Tara Ethridge
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure how I have missed actually reading this series, but I definitely tell kids about it all the time as tons of people love it. I now add myself to that list of being a fan. Just the right amount of suspense for young readers, and the historical piece is gripping. Perfect for those searching for adventure books.
Diana
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. Large print, Lots of white space and some illustrations. George and his little sister Phoebe along with their aunt are on the titanic. George is ornery and is usually getting into trouble. I thought the author did a good job of depicting the catastrophe through the eyes of a child without it being too depressing or scary. Facts about the titanic at the end.
Morgan
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is no secret that Titanic is my favorite movie. I love it. And I love this book. Little George and his sister were the cutest. Their relationship was amazing. I also loved Marco and Enzo, and their aunt as well. Just, everyone. Everyone was great. I may have gotten teary eyed in this. I just wanted everyone to make it out, and thus remains the tragic story of The Titanic. The I Survived series continues to be fabulous and I'm already addicted!
Alexandra Calaway
It was fine, for what it is. I'm glad it gets young readers interested in simple, fast-paced books.
Perryapril2
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was much better than the first one I read in this series. I think the author did a great job capturing what if must of been like to be a child aboard the Titanic. There was a part that made me teary eyed.
Nate Balcom
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved the exciting hook during the first chapter. Satisfying and captures the terror of the Titanic without getting to in-depth.
Emily
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sara Goldsmith
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great short story about the sinking of the Titanic.
Khalil McMorris
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it was suspenseful and a page turner. It was about a boy on a trip with his little sister and aunt. It was also good because I was able to learn about the Titanic from a kids perspective. I think it was a really good book and would recommend it to everyone.
Joy Gerbode
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
While interesting enough as a book for young readers, some of the fiction in the story is a bit overdone. Good way to introduce history, though, in an exciting fiction story.
Rachel Macdonald
read this 3 yrs ago probs
Loved it tho
easy 4 me now but whatevs
love the Titanic
it's so interesting
Destiny Martinez
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I learned about the titanic but in a kids perspective. I enjoyed it and I think others should read this too.
Dann
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The first in a series, I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 is a rather poorly written adventure book. The story follows a 10-year old boy named George, who’s traveling on the Titanic with his sister and aunt, as he explores the ship and ends up fighting for survival when it hits an iceberg. The characters aren’t all that interesting, some in fact are quite annoying. And it seems to avoid including any historical figures or specific events of the sinking. It’s almost as if the Titanic set ...more
Cheyenne
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Eh, it was okay. It was definitely for younger kids.
Book Review 5 1 1 Mar 10, 2018 02:35PM
Who likes the "I survived" series? 4 6 Mar 05, 2018 09:44AM
Future Teachers, ...: Book review 5 1 1 Oct 28, 2016 11:48AM
Future Teachers, ...: KaraDaisy Iannazzo's Review 3 1 2 Oct 08, 2016 10:28PM

• S.O.S. (Titanic, #3)
  • Better to Wish (Family Tree, #1)
  • Daniel at the Siege of Boston 1776 (Boys of Wartime)
  • A Grateful Harvest (Prairie River, #2)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Who Was Bruce Lee?
  • Titanic Sinks!: Experience the Titanic's Doomed Voyage in this Unique Presentation of Fact and Fiction
  • Who Is Barack Obama?
  • Zero to Hero (Ghost Buddy, #1)
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • Don't Tap-Dance on Your Teacher (Roscoe Riley Rules, #5)
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • Who Was Louis Braille?
  • Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack, #1)
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Titanic (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #7)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
Lauren Tarshis often wonders how she came to spend most of her waking moments thinking about disasters, as the author of the children's historical fiction series "I Survived." Each book takes readers into the heart of history's most thrilling and terrifying events, including the sinking of the Titanic, the Shark Attacks of 1916, Hurricane Katrina, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the San Francisco ear ...more

I Survived (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)
  • Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (I Survived, #3)
  • The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (I Survived, #4)
  • The San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
  • The Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, #6)
  • The Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7)
  • The Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • The Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • The Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)
  • I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 (I Survived, #11)
“Tower of London, where they used to chop off your head if the king didn’t like you.” 4 likes
“There were nine dogs on the Titanic. They stayed in kennels, but their owners could take them out onto the decks for walks. Two Pomeranians and one Pekingese survived with their masters.” 2 likes