Start by marking “Toddler Taming” as Want to Read:
Toddler Taming

Toddler Taming

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  369 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
At last here is practical advice--mixed with humor--for how to cope with those difficulties that turn your sweet baby into a holy terror, including: toilet training, tantrums and other tricks, sleep problems, fidgets, and more. Featuring special advice for working mothers and single parents, TODDLER TAMING strives to calm your fears, with advice that really works!
Published (first published January 15th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Toddler Taming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddler Taming

Lee Kofman
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With all the wishy-washy New Age type books on child rearing fashionable these days, I was delighted to discover this 1990s Australian classic. I found Green's attitudes mostly very sensible and refreshing in their lack of complexes. Yes, it’s not the end of the world if once in a while you give your child a little smack (not that I want to do this, but I don’t want to go to pieces if this happens). You don’t need to worry too much about your child’s diet and parents deserve a life of their own ...more
Elizabeth Saxon
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My manual that I heartily recommend to all parents. I love the way that we are constantly reassured that our children are generally as normal as they come, and how their misdemeanours are easily explained by our own actions, which are easily corrected! Presto! A manual for how to get nice children!
I was recommended it by a mum who had already used, and can vouch for its methodology. It has worked for all four of my children, so get it, relax, and enjoy your children more! :-)
Michel
Nov 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Green's advice is often to give the child a smack. I don't know why so many pages were written if the answer is always to smack the kid around. There were a few other ridiculous tips in there. Unless this book has been drastically revised since its first printing, I recommend you throw the book in the paper recycling bin, which is where my second hand copy is going right now.
Rachel
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
If you don't have a 'problem child', beware of reading this book - generally patrionising, sometimes just rude (on nutrition: if the parents are fat lazy slobs who never leave the couch, what hope is there for the children?) and full of comments that 'parents whose kids don't to xyz particularly difficult behaviour in a given area are living the dream, they have a golden child and have no right to complain, ever'. I think the intention of such comments are meant to encourage the parents of the d ...more
Sally Edsall
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was pregnant, and found it mildly amusing. HOWEVER, I found it of little use when I had the baby. It is glib, and patronising, I thought.

As for the 'controlled crying' technique advocated here, I find it cruel and heartless. I couldn't listen to my baby cry for up to 10 or 15 minutes without offering comfort and presence. As for tying a door shut when a child has been sent to their room, again, I couldn't do it.

I would recommend T Berry Brazelton's 'Touchpoints' as a better bo
Leonie
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book being revolutionary in toddler rearing approach in the 80s. I downloaded a copy to my Kindle as soon as my first born showed signs of requiring 'taming'. I was shocked at how common senseish the advice was and mirrored the approach I was already taking. I think a lot has changed in the 30+ years since this book was written and that the amazing techniques within its pages are now the norm.

Still looking for a solution for my unruly children 😬
Toby Goodwin
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Never exactly finished, but I'm keeping it handy to dip into when I need moral support! There is some very useful material in here, although the style grates a bit in places. (Possibly newer editions rectify this.)
Dana Bolink
An eye-opener that every parent should read. Insightful, down-to-earth, practical information on what makes toddlers tick and how best to deal with it. The alarm-trick was - and still is - a lifesaver for us. The sleeptraining 'program' actually works. Green is occasionally a bit too happy with himself for my taste, but that doesn't diminish the sheer amount of useful information collected in this book. It covers everything from temper tantrums, to sleeping, to eating. If you have a toddler, or ...more
Cat
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emma
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I liked best about Dr Christopher Green's 'Toddler Taming' was the constant reminders to be realistic about what to expect from toddlers and to enjoy this stage of our children, there is, after all, so much wonder and magic in even the most difficult toddler.

I definitely found the earlier chapters more useful than the later ones, maybe because when I started reading this I was facing some of the 'terrible twos' with my own toddler, but on reading the book I soon realised these were mi
Kate
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TTe first chapter includes a table of what proportion of toddlers engage in antisociable behaviour (not sleeping, tantrums, attacking siblings, hyyperactivity etc) at what ages and is great for reassuring you that your child is 100% normal and even in some ways you're ver lucky to have them (when you realise they are in the other 30% not engaging in disgusting behaviour).
It also makes you feel that whateveryou do as a parent is the best thing while at the same time giving possible solutions to c
Jim Kennedy
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having a baby over a year ago, my sister gave me this book, and I must admit, it is an excellent read for a new parent. It is mostly common sense (but no less important to see written down - sometimes I need to have things spelled out to me!), contains tons of practical advice, and it is very reassuring - i.e. there *are* solutions to any issues that may pop up with your toddler. He also constantly points out that children are not bad, they are just children being children, you should be e ...more
Jim
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fathers and mothers to be.
Recommended to Jim by: My mother
Wow, I'm now both dreading and keenly anticipating my own toddlers.

This book gave me a very good understanding of the techniques to deal with undesirable behaviour in toddlers. Strangely enough, its the same technique that works best in adults: ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good behaviour.

Obviously, its easier said than done, and Christopher Green is both well versed in the classical thinking, and hardened from decades of experience on the front line of paediatrics. Excellent read for
Ksena
During all of my daughters first years, I've used this as a book to go to. I've not read it front to back, but looked up certain passages I've found suitable when I've needed it. It's been and continues to be a great book. Kid is now four, so she borders on being on the older scale for this book. I'm still using it thoguh here and there. It's been a great help these first years with kiddo. I love her dearly, but she sometimes drives me absolutly bonkers. And this book has given me an idea as to ...more
Allicia Coates
The author seems to assume that every parent thinks that their toddler is out to get him or is bad which I found a bit upsetting. I was just looking for advice on ways to manage toddler behaviour and insight into why toddlers behave this way. I DID find those things but found the tone of the book somewhat patronising and really hated the thought that by reading the book I was putting across the idea that i thought my toddler was being willfully nasty to me :(
Mariana
General impression: a repetitive book, poorly edited, but still valuable in helping inexperienced parents put their toddler's behavior in context and realize: yes, children at this age are rather puzzling and often exasperating. Yes, they throw tantrums, go through phases of picky eating and poor sleeping, are always on the move and don't really listen to the word No, so keep calm and give it time.
Kristy
May 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The thing I found to be most helpful about this book is his repeated emphasis that toddlers are impulsive and senseless. I did not agree with the discipline chapter, in which he often stated that the child should be isolated (in his room or time out) to ride out a tantrum. I know this would be quite counter-productive for my daughter.
John Gordon
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
"Toddler taming" is full of good advice and humour on bringing up toddlers. The author takes a very practical approach to the issues, using plain language and without throwing blame or criticism about. Although a little dated, I enjoyed reading his perspectives and am already putting his advice into practice.
Will Sheppard
Disappointing. The advice is all of the "common sense" variety, it's very similar in tone and content to the What To Expect series.
This book does not tell parents anything that they can't figure out for themselves.
Peter
I completely lost interest in this half way through...Mr Green seems to make the same 2 points over and over again and little else besides, namely;

1-Whatever your child is doing is probably perfectly normal
&
2- everything will be alright in the end.

May revisit in the furture
Oznasia
By time this book was published my kids were past the toddler stage. From time to time I have toddlers in my life now and despite my parenting experience I sometimes find them challenging. This book sure helps.
Dan Hardwick
I'm glad I didn't pay for this book (thank you BUPA). If the author isn't being captain obvious he's simply unhelpful. His answer to pretty much every toddler problem; ignore it- they'll grow out of it. It is easy to read...
Shanin
Basically a how-to-survive-a-toddler book. I scanned this one and returned to the library. I suppose if you can understand them, you can survive them. However, I feel fortunate that my toddler so far is pertty good. Maybe with round two I'll really need to read this book.

Emma Ward
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy is so well read, that some of the pages are loose, scribbled on, and one corner has been chewed! I have referred back to this book with every toddler, and each has left her own 'mark' on the book.
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I'm only part way through but so far this guide is pretty spot on for how I parent & great tips about connecting with your toddler.
Sue Hopkins
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, informative and a lot of common sense! Can relate and not unrealistic like some parenting/self help books. Good reference.
Jessica Thompson
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty great, reassuring and not nutty. Written by an Australian so I had to google a few terms. Anyone know what a dummie is?
Rachel
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, great advice. One for your bookshelf if you have toddlers!
Polka-dot-pin-up

Wonderfully helpful and insightful my own mother recommended it to me and I in turn have recommended it to friends this has to be THE parenting book for toddlers
Kristinn Tan
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read the latest version which is much updated for modern times.
  • Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men
  • Kid Wrangling: Real Guide to Caring for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
  • Safe Kids, Smart Parents: What Parents Need to Know to Keep Their Children Safe
  • Jo Frost's Confident Toddler Care: The Ultimate Guide to The Toddler Years: Practical Advice on How to Raise a Happy and Contented Toddler
  • Great Piratical Rumbustification: & the Librarian and the Robbers
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the English
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • The Happy Intercessor
  • Born To Win: Transactional Analysis With Gestalt Experiments
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • What Every Parent Needs to Know: The incredible effects of love, nurture and play on your child's development
  • Baby Love: Everything You Need to Know about Your Baby's First Year
  • With Calvin in the Theater of God: The Glory of Christ and Everyday Life
  • Great Doctrines of the Bible: Volume I God the Father, God the Son/Volume II God the Holy Spirit/Volume III the Church and the Last Things
  • Ruined City