Start by marking “Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)

Warrior Quest

(The Ancient Lands #1)

He has spent his whole life trying to prove himself worthy of his father's crown. By age fifteen, Bomani's warrior skills had surpassed all the boys his age; yet that wasn't enough for him. When the precious Ifa Scepter must be found to save his kingdom, it is Bomani who secretly sets out on this journey to retrieve it -alone. But, it is destiny that adds a companion to hi ...more
Published December 5th 2009 by Brown-Eyed Dreams (first published November 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Warrior Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior Quest

Emi
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to find out that I won this book from a giveaway here on GR, and have to take a moment to applaud for McCammon. This book far exceeded my expectations (which were quite high, because the plot synopsis sounded exciting). I love and read a lot of fantasy, but I don’t think I can ever remember reading a fantasy book quite like this. The setting was original; based off of the savannahs in Africa, and set in its own pseudo-realistic world. It drew me in right away. Fast-paced with imag ...more
April
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read-wins
I won this book here on goodreads.. When I got it in the mail, I was a little apprehensive when I saw the cover.. it reminds me of a old corny nintendo rpg poster.. they say you should never judge a book by it's cover though... and that rings true in this case.

it was a little slow to start.. Bomani was very annoying, and stuck on himself.. but farra's sweet, caring, & giddy attitude.. helped balance them out. I enjoyed how they learned from eachother through out the story.

this definately w
Andrea Fife
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
I won this book on Goodreads and was excited when it came in the mail. Although the story itself was decent, the book was not. There were misplaced commas everywhere which really distracted from the plot. New words specific to the made-up cultures were sometimes italicized and sometimes not. Simply having a better editor would have been a great improvement.

Probably my least favorite thing about this book was the author's need to insert himself into the story. There were several times that inste
BookMarc
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
The cover certainly stood out and I found the shadow effect on the red/orange/yellow background to be attention grabbing. I was intrigued as to what the symbols on the left hand side of the front cover meant. The book synopsis on the back cover set forth an adventure of magic and fantasy and worked well in piquing my interest in the novel. Didn't like the advertising of another book 'The Adventures of Farra and Bomani' on the back although in mentioning it I guess I'm advertis
Sara
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This a book best for kids in grades 3-6. It is about an arrogant youngest son of a king, Bomani, and a sorceress in training, Farra. They set out to retrieve a sceptor that will restore their lands to a fertile valley. Along the way they meet ogres, fairy sprites, along with many other magical creatures. There is mystical adventures and they progress on their journey.

The first 50 pages were the hardest to get in to as the foundation for the story was being laid. The narrator perspective, in the
Lacey
Aug 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Bomani is the youngest child of a king whose only dream is to become king himself someday. He battles sibling rivalry with his older brother. Bomani's kingdom is suffering a drought and he overhears that the only thing that will save the Kingdom is the Ifa Scepter. To prove himself worthy of being king over his brother he steals a map and goes on a journey to find the Ifa Scepter and save his family and friends.
Farra is a young girl from the Anifem people. The Anifem and Animen people have a sa
Derek
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Apparently this book is going into print in the next week or so. I got it early edition of the ebook. I went through their site but when I bought it, it sent me directly to Amazon.

Anyway, I read this thing in a week and had a great time doing it. It is obvious that the book is for young readers. I'm going to get my nephew a copy when it comes into print. I've been trying my darnedest to get the young lad to have a love of books that I do. Perhaps Warrior Quest will do the trick.

The book starts o
A'lina
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Ancient Lands was a nice read. I enjoyed Bomani, the arrogant young warrior and Farra, the sometimes overly excited sorceress and even though Bomani is fifteen and Farra just a little younger it felt like maybe more of a middle grade read most of the time, but still fun for anyone who enjoys an easy read of magic and adventure. I really enjoyed following these two--uh, three, lets not forget Farra's furry companion, Pupa, the little blue wolf who has a special bound with the young sorceress- ...more
Jingai
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it
The Ancient Lands was a enjoyable book. It is a bit on
the young adult side for my personal taste, but that shouldn't
deter you from giving it a try. While it is ostensibly a fantasy
story, there is not a lot in the way of high wizardry. The magic
is a background player, a supporting element to the real focus
of the story, the personal growth of the two main characters.

It is unusual for a main character to start off so thoroughly
unlikable, but in a way it seems quite within reason for him to
be that
Candice
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I entered the giveaway for "The Ancient Lands: Warrior Quest" after reading the summary. A young boy fighting for his fathers acceptance. When I won this book I was so excited. At first it was hard to get into this book because of the 'other world' part of it. I am certainly glad I stuck to it.
It has a great story line with great charaters. From the sorcerers to the ogres, the war rhinos to pupa, the little wolf companion of Farra. McCammon's descriptions were awesome. I could really visualize
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
The premise of this book was interesting and I have to say that it made a nice change from medieval England (can't believe I've just said that!) to instead an African base but, honestly, this book is just not one for me.

I liked the 3 main characters in it - Bomani, Farra and Pupa - but I just didn't feel like the whole book was fleshed out enough. I was also getting distracted, and annoyed, by the author's insistence on jumping into the middle of the story with his own explanation of something.
Corinne
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
When I signed up for this free give away, this book sounded like it fit right in with my current reading trend. Due to life getting in the way, I didn't pick the book up for months after I received it, but I finally did read it. To tell the truth, I wasn't really sucked into the book. There are just some books for me that capture my interest right away and keep me up late at night, reading page after page. This was not one of those books. Part of the difficulty I had with the book was the writin ...more
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Jason McCammon has a way with his imagination that captures you from the very start. His whimsical adventures allowed me to turn the pages consistently waiting on the next adventure. I think that the book appeals to a younger generation that enjoys the unexpected, unreal and practical uniqueness of exploration. The search for Ifa Scepter is told by turning pages of desire, allowing the mind to view things differently than before or of the common state. Bomani and Farra fun yet different personal ...more
Mawgojzeta
I wanted to like this book. The story outline itself is really good. There is a nice mix of easy-to-read terms and more complex terms, which I feel is important in a young adult novel. And I love how the main characters grow personally as the story progresses. But, I felt the writing was choppy. It really distracted me and I was unable to become emotionally invested in the story. Also, there were issues with the books physically; paragraphs set incorrectly, for example. Despite my lower rating, ...more
Stacy
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes very interesting
Recommended to Stacy by: won on goodreads
this book is great i was kinda weary when i first recieved it but the farther along i got i started to love it, slow start but the action for the kids really picks up fast, this book is great for younger ages and i love the fact that it is teaching a lesson along with having a good story line, i am not finished yet but am working hard to get it done at times i dont even want to put it down.
Marie Cole
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
I got this book free in a goodreads giveaway, and im really glad i did. I really love this book, and i would totally recommand this book. i had such a hard time putting this book down. Jason McCammon sure knows adventure. This book is great. Its one of my favorites now. Thank you Jason for such a great book!
PF
Oct 27, 2011 added it
Shelves: young-adult
Extremely thinly veiled as science fiction, this young adult book would be more honestly marketed as a variation of traditional coming of age stories framed as if in a Sub-Saharan Africa tribal culture. I don't know enough about that culture to comment on how accurate or educational it is.
Larry B Gray
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a very fun book to read. It was fast paced and full of action. The fact that the book was not as complicated as most fantasy novels made it easy to read and enjoyable. I really liked this book and look forward to futured volumes.
Cynde mitchell
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised and pleased when I read this book.It was interesting ,well written and very enjoyable.The book is great.
Matt Laduke
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book with an epic quest. Reminded me of Lord of the Rings.
Shauna
Sep 12, 2010 added it
An imaginative and fast-paced fantasy for kids in a well-developed, original setting.
Connie  Kuntz
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Terrific imagery, great character chemistry. Full review forthcoming in 2012 summer-fall edition of The Rockford Review.
Lisa Lucas
won this on the goodreads giveaway about a year ago, it's a pretty good book, recommend for tween to young adults or anyone who likes warriors
Brian
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
An modestly enjoyable tale of two young adults who go for a quest thrust upon them by destiny. They come of age and save the world.
Portia Greenwood
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
new read 1 5 Aug 30, 2010 05:09AM

• The Gods of Dream
  • The Thorn (The Chronicles of Gan, #1)
  • The Sea of Storms (Lodestone, #1)
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • The Black God’s War Preview
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Beyond the Veil
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • Dimension Shifter (Dimensions Saga #1)
  • Throne of Vengeance (Delver Magic, #2)
  • Children of Another God
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Freak City
  • Forgotten Soul (Soul Searchers, #1)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)