Start by marking “Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)

Queen of Swords

(Wilderness #5)

It is the late summer of 1814, and Hannah Bonner and her half brother Luke have spent more than a year searching the islands of the Caribbean for Luke's wife and the man who abducted her. But Jennet's rescue, so long in coming, is not the resolution they'd hoped for. In the spring she had given birth to Luke's son, and in the summer Jennet had found herself compelled to su ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Swords

Start your review of Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
Mishelle LaBrash

Well Ms Donati, just when I had thought you had done the unforgiveable, (Referance to Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4) by Sara Donati , and my review thereof) you go ahead in redeem yourself in a major KICK ASS way... DAMN how I love this family.... You are a talent to be reckoned with for sure, Up there among my lists of the greatests... Off to buy my copy of The Endless Forest by Sara Donati ~ Sad really as I am SO NOT ready to let this family go....

I really hope you are able and desirous of introducing us to another family of epic characters, real soon....

Until th
Melodie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bonner family saga continues with the adult children take center stage. Hannah and Luke have spent a year searching for kidnapped Jennet. After the rescue they find themselves in New Orleans again searching, this time for Jennett and Luke's infant son.
Intricate plot twists, a lot of history, and new characters abound.The author keeps the story line moving but the reader is easily lost if not paying attention. The War of 1812 is the crux of the history in this book, and as is usual with this
Ann
Aug 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reviews get lower as I continue with this series. While, I may enjoy the characters, I can't ignore the plot holes such as why was Jennet kidnapped by Degre? To have a new book seems to be the explanation. She wasn't held for ransom nor did he marry her. Why did he want her? so she could sit around on an island playing with her tarot cards until Luke rescued her! Then why did Honore have a fake marriage to Jennet? He could have just slept with her in exchange for taking the baby. And why was ...more
Donna
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even though I was sad that Nathaniel and Elizabeth weren't really in this installment of the Wilderness series, I liked the focus on Hannah, Jennet and Luke. (I can always tell when I consider the characters like they are my family because I actually refer to them by name and not as "MC" or whatever.)

This has been a fun series. I love the attention to detail given to the historical back drop. This book went from New York/Canada to the south with the War of 1812 front and center. Now I did have m
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
It took me a long time to warm up to this book. That being said, I do think, overall, that I enjoyed it. The fifth in the Into the Wilderness series by Sara Donati, it was only this book that I learned the authors real name. I have to say I was quite shocked that Rosina Lippi-Green was actually Sara Donati. As a linguistics graduate I am much familiar with her work there, and it does a lot to explain why the accents and "voices" of these characters are so accurate in these works.

As a bit of a re
Lorena
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
💞5 WONDERFUL STARS💞
My opinion of Sara Donati and her storytelling gets higher as I continue with the series...this book was absolutely fantastic!!! I have been devouring the series and I've been unable to put any of the books down. There are some plot holes in this one, but it is so well writen and there's sooo much angst and adventure that at the end I didn't care that I did not get the "why" of some events.​ I'm totally in love with the characters💖​ and I cannot wait to find out what they are
Adrielle
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have watched Last of the Mohicans and enjoyed it, this series is a must read as it continues the story. This particular instalment focuses mostly on Hawkeye's grand daughter Hannah. However, the POV is shared around a number of loved characters.

This is my favourite in the series. It packs a punch and being the character driven reader that I am, the character development in this warms my heart to no end. That is number one. Number two? Ben Savard. Read it and meet him.
Charlynn
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took more than a year for Luke and Hannah to find and rescue Jennet, to dispose of her abductor. After so long in captivity, the Bonner siblings had no idea in what condition they would find their wife and sister, respectively. No matter what, though, they'd be able to finally go home, to leave the sea behind, and heal together at Lake in the Clouds. Only, there's more to do than merely save Jennet and dispose of her kidnapper; unbeknownst to Luke and Hannah, when Jennet was taken from them, ...more
Jenn
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was the hardest to get through in this series. This focused more on Jennet, Luke and Hannah. It was during war times and I felt it just encompassed too much of that aspect into the storyline. At times the political aspect was so drawn out that it got to be quite boring.

For some reason it was hard to connect with the main characters especially Jennet and Luke. It was nice to see a bit more on Hannah and her trials and tribulations being an woman of mixed ethnicity.

I sorely missed Eliz
Karen
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to give this 5 stars. It has everything in historical fiction I love. The wilderness doctor, love affairs, the worst of humanity and the hardscrabble of the times. On to the last in the series...Book #6.
Georgia
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Donati's writing just got better and better as she continued the story of the Bonners and all their various children/relatives/friends. This book contained several gut-wrenching scenarios which are not for the faint of heart. However, I must say it was probably my favorite of the five I've read so far.
Alexandria Brim
In the fifth book of Donati's "Wilderness" series, it follows from the fourth book, Fire Along the Sky, though a year has passed. In that year, Luke Scott and his half-sister Hannah Bonner have traveled the Caribbean in order to rescue his fiancée, Jennet. They find her and kill her captors before escaping to Luke's mother's estate for safety. He and Jennet are married and she confesses she gave birth to Luke's son in the past year. To keep the boy safe, though, she gave him to a man named Honor ...more
Katherine
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked this one the least in the series, didn't care for the setting or the heavy storyline of slavery and all its abhorrent evils.
Shelby Duckworth
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great read!!
Darlene
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best one of the series so far.
Hannah
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Took me a lot longer to finish this on audiobook bc of all the life things but it was just as good as all the other books in the series! Can’t wait to see the next installment!!
Mareli
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I felt lost for some part of the book because it involved so many people, I had trouble to identify them. Even if the story was good I feel it lacked happy parts.
Rachel Anne
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After recently reading 'The Gilded Hour', I decided to go back and re-read Wilderness Books 4-5 (the 2 I haven't got nearly memorized).

I still do not entirely understand why Poiterin wanted Jennet's baby so much, and why he couldn't leave the Bonners be when they returned for the baby in New Orleans. I get that he is somewhat afraid of his grandmother, but why did he even bring the baby to her in the first place? I still really do not understand what was in it for him the whole time.

I did love s
Ronna
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Queen of Swords, the fifth book of the Into the Wilderness series by Sara Donati, got off to a painfully slow start for me. I read several books in between stops and starts of this book, but I was committed because I knew it would eventually be good. I wasn't disappointed once the book got going, which wasn't until about 20% of the way through, but then I could barely put it down. I still love the characters (this book primarily covers Hannah, Jennet and Luke) and was glad for the addition of Be ...more
Anna Henke
Recommended to fans of Outlander, the Wilderness series is a sweeping historical romance and multigenerational family saga that begins in 1792 and carries on for decades after. The fourth book, Queen of Swords, opens in 1814 and is centered on the rescue of one of the family’s Scottish relatives who has been kidnapped by pirates. The plot also concerns the ongoing War of 1812. I found this part fascinating, as I know so little about that particular war. Why is it such a neglected part of America ...more
Linda Shea
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been devouring the Into the Wilderness series and I've been unable to put any of the books down! This one was harder to get into than the others but once I was past the first few chapters, I loved it as much as the other books. I enjoyed all the information and details about New Orleans (it's now on my list of places to visit) although I was surprised that former slaves had slaves! Sure, there were a lot of plot holes and things I just couldn't explain but all in all, I love the character ...more
Ruth
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In this series of "Into The Wilderness" this was my favorite book next to the first one in the series. The second book almost made me stop reading but I persisted. I have loved the diversity of characters and the experience of different locations in the late l700's and up to the French and Indian war that started in 1812. I like getting into a series where I can live with characters for awhile and this suited that need.
If you come to the end of the "Outlander " books by Diana Gabaldon this will
Beth
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The fourth in this romantic historical fiction. Much like the Outlander series you learn to love the characters and can not wait to find out what they are up to now. Hannah, Nathaniel's daughter from his first marriage has been in and out of the last few books. Now she becomes the main character and you read hoping that she will be able to move through some horrible past memories onto something better! Loved this book!
Tamara
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Didn't realize it was Book 5 in a series until I was done. I'd figured out it was part of a series about halfway through when there obviously some backstory I was missing, but it still manages to stand alone. Set in 1814 New Orleans (near end of War of 1812), it's more about the characters' relationships than the war.
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
This historical fiction had good, strong female characters. The plot moved along with enough surprises to keep you going and I loved the appearance of historical characters. Also, this covered the War of 1812 and New Orleans, which are time periods I don't come across in historical fiction often.
~*~JenJenBoBin
Re-Read 10/15

"5 Stars!!"

Action, Adventure, Romance ... it's all packed into this series!!! I am really enjoying the Bonner family and all their travels. Sad there is only 1 more book to go *sob* :(
Karen
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ms Donati writes a powerful and compelling novel. I love this series very much.
The war of 1812 continues with the story taking the family to New Orleans.
After visiting New Orleans it was much easier to visualize the surrounds described.
Downloading the next volume now! Can't wait.
Shirley
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I listened to this book and for the most part...I enjoyed it but it was somewhat of a disappointment after reading the previous books in the series...it just went on forever!!
Marcy
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved every book in this series and was so sorry to have it come to an end....for now. I loved the changing historical focus and locales. I can't wait for the next one to be published.
Brittany
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Yeah, still the least favorite in the series. I love Jennet's character but this book is lacking the pizzazz of the rest of the series.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 06, 2015 07:21AM

• A Rip in the Veil (The Graham Saga #1)
  • The Prodigal Son (Graham Saga #3)
  • A Newfound Land (The Graham Saga #4)
  • The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square
  • Like Chaff in the Wind (The Graham Saga #2)
  • Serpents in the Garden (The Graham Saga #5)
  • Whither Thou Goest (The Graham Saga #7)
  • To Catch a Falling Star (The Graham Saga, #8)
  • There is Always a Tomorrow (The Graham Saga #9)
  • The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)
  • Homestead
  • Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade  (Lord John Grey, #2)
  • The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2)
  • A Desperate Fortune
  • In the Shadow of the Storm (The King's Greatest Enemy #1)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Seven Stones to Stand or Fall (Outlander 0.5, 7.5 & 8.5)
There's a new novel coming out September 10,: Where the Light Enters. More about the novel here. or on Sara's FaceBook page.

Sara Donati is the pen name of Rosina Lippi, also here on Goodreads because she writes too. All book reviews you'll find under Rosina's name.

Wilderness (6 books)
  • Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1)
  • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
  • The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6)