Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor (The Berenstain Bears)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  9,654 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
It's time for a routine check-up with Dr. Gert Grizzly. Sister Bear is brave about her booster shot, and Brother Bear is fine, but--achoo --is that Papa Bear sneezing? "A light-hearted approach to the subject with straightforward information."--"Appraisal."
Published October 12th 1981 by RHUS (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

Anita
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
‘The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor’ is part of a series of books which sees a family of bears encountering a variety of everyday life experiences. This story is about Brother and Sister Bear having to visit Doctor Gert Grizzly for a routine check-up. Sister Bear’s worried attitude represents the attitude that many children may have. They may associate seeing the doctor with blood and pain. This book is designed to show children that there is nothing to worry about going to see the doctor and ...more
Bridgett Gallagher
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was Ben's present for being SO brave when getting his 6 month shots and he loved that it was all about what had happened to him earlier that day at his well visit and that he was allowed to peel off a sticker!
Noah
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears are some of our favorites - reading all of my mom's Berenstain Bears books is great. I also like to watch the cartoon before school. It's fun to sometimes see stories I've read on tv.
Danette
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read with Naomi & Julia.
Emily Garrison
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1981 by Random House Publishing and is a book in the First Time Books series. In this story, Mama announces to the cubs as they climb into bed, that they have a doctor check-up appointment the next day. The cubs are worried, they don't feel sick and wonder why they have to go to the doctor. Mama assures them that this is when doctors check to see if cubs are growing correctly. Even after Mama and Papa assured them it was nothing to worry about, sister is still worried. ...more
Ame
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
If the kids hand me a book versus me picking one out, then yes, I'm definitely reading it. They love stethoscopes, so this one is a hit.

Although I have my doubts about that doctor immediately offering to check a sick Papa Bear with a cold during his kids' own check-up, especially with all those other bears waiting outside. Overthinking a children's book is fun!
Asho
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty decent book in the "what to expect when you visit the doctor" category. Definitely against HIPPA that Dr. Grizzly invites all the other children in to see Sister Bear get her shot, but I'll give her a pass since this book was written in the '80s.
Stef
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was one of the ones I read as a kid, and it's a good way to introduce children to the idea of getting checkups, although it seems weird now that the doctor would call every kid in in from the waiting room to watch Sister Bear get a shot in her underwear.
Quinn Tirrel
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for explaining to kids about going to the doctor.

I wish they would have been more honest with the cubs about the fact that shots DO hurt! Otherwise, great!
Krista Vogts
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because I remember my mother reading it to me when I was young. This would be a great book to use in the classroom because it could calm children's fears of the doctor. Also, this book does a good job of explaining the purpose of shots in a way children will understand. This is important for students to know because they will be getting shots often as they grow up. This book is cute, and has humor in it to keep the reader's attention.
Karachi: RIP - Janice Berenstain 1 5 Mar 04, 2012 08:01AM
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • The Magic School Bus On the Ocean Floor
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark