Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

(The Berenstain Bears)

It's time for a routine check-up with Dr. Gert Grizzly. Sister Bear is brave about her booster shot, and Brother Bear is fine, but--achoo!--is that Papa Bear sneezing?
Published October 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

Start your review of The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
Calista
Straight-forward story about what to expect when going to the doctor. It's not very exciting.

The kids both read it and were not too move. They also gave it 3 stars.
Anita
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
‘The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor’ is part of a series of books which sees a family of bears encountering a variety of everyday life experiences. This story is about Brother and Sister Bear having to visit Doctor Gert Grizzly for a routine check-up. Sister Bear’s worried attitude represents the attitude that many children may have. They may associate seeing the doctor with blood and pain. This book is designed to show children that there is nothing to worry about going to see the doctor and ...more
J.T. IV
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Another excellent addition to the Berenstain Bears Series. No one is ever excited to go to the doctor, but sometimes are worse than others. When it’s time for a routine checkup, Sister and Brother are a little anxious about what might happen to them … like getting a shot. In the end both Sister and Brother are brave and things turn out just fine. If you have little ones who are a bit nervous about going to the doctor, or you just want a fun read with great pictures and a bit about being brave, t ...more
Noah
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears are some of our favorites - reading all of my mom's Berenstain Bears books is great. I also like to watch the cartoon before school. It's fun to sometimes see stories I've read on tv.
Bridgett
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was Ben's present for being SO brave when getting his 6 month shots and he loved that it was all about what had happened to him earlier that day at his well visit and that he was allowed to peel off a sticker!
Danette
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
8/6/2016 Read with Naomi & Julia.
1/25/18 Read with Julia.
Toni
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Great for kids to read. Yet also a great way to introduce them to going to a doctor appointment, should they be worried or nervous.
Cassandra Gelvin
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Mixture of accurate information and inaccurate.

Not bad for a Berenstain Bears book. Papa Bear is a stereotypical male, and he doesn't go to the doctor, because he-- achoo-- never gets sick. The cubs are going in for a checkup. They both have to get shots, because, why not. And it turns out Papa is sick. Ha ha.

The way that the doctor makes the shot seem not as bad to Sister is by calling all of the other cubs in from the waiting room to watch her get a shot, kind of intimidating or embarrassing h
Brooke June
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor is about how brother bear and sister bear have to go get a check up. They are nervous that it will hurt, although when they get there they see all of the other bears there too. When they go inside the doctor tells them what all of the utensils are and what they do. The bears realize that it doesn't hurt and they are brave getting their shots. Papa bear even leaves with medicine because he has a cold.

Guided reading level P and grades K-2.

The Berenstains have
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. Even grown-ups struggle with keeping up with their health and attending the doctor regularly. I recommend pas
Chester Richmond
Many people are unnecessarily frightened by going to the doctor. This is especially common for children because they have not gone as many times and are still easily frightened by pain, blood, and needles. If your child is scared you can show them this book which details exactly what happens during a visit and shows that it is not as scary as you first thought.

This could be used in a classroom to teach about visiting the doctor and common procedures which many of your students may not know. This
Rosa Cline
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2014, kids
My granddaughter and I really enjoyed this Berenstain Bears book. It's one of the original stories with Brother and Sister (before Honey and the more 'modern' stuff). Mama tells the kids they are going to see the doctor for a check up they are scared and unsure...but the story take a child on a trip with the Bear kids and find out that visiting the doctor isn't a bad thing and they are for your well being... and that shots are good things and explains a little about 'why' you should get booster ...more
Mista Frade
When I was little, picture books were all I would read. To tell the truth, I hated reading, so looking at pictures made understanding the story so much easier. I still remember the Berestain Bears because they had lessons that could relate to a little guy like I was in 1988. I hated going to the doctor mainly because I abhorred shots. I used to cry simply by being in the office, and many times, I wouldn't even get a shot. This book was one of the first to teach me that going to the doctor is a g ...more
Adam Utehs
this book talks about how children are all very scared of going to the doctors and getting shots because it might hurt. In this book it shows brother and sister bear go in get shots and it shows that all that worrying was for nothing because the shots didn't even hurt. Most children are scared of the doctors thinking that it will hurt them instead of trying to make them better and this book helps them get over their fears. I would recommend this book to be read to children to get over their fear ...more
Jordan Lee
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story is about children who are going to the doctor for the first time and are very nervous. But, throughout the book they go through the whole doctor checkup with the bears and they realize the doctor isn’t such a scary place after all. We would use this book in a classroom by teaching children about doctors and how they are here to help you stay healthy. There are many mysteries when it comes to the first visits to the doctor when you are little. I remember being terrified to go, but if I ...more
Whitney Strickland
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: going-to
This is another good read that will help inform children about doctors’ visits and make them laugh at the things that go on at the doctor's office. The Berenstain family takes a trip so that brother and sister can get their booster shots. I like this part because this is a very routine thing that most children have to experience. In the future I will definitely share this book with children who may be fearful of what goes on at the doctor's office.
Nivi Krishnakumar
This is a great book to read for understanding sequencing. This book is also a great book to do a character study activity since there are a lot of Berenstain Bears books. I think students will enjoy these books because they are fun books to read and listen to. This is a great book to talk about why it is important to wash hands and what causes you to become sick. This book would be a great introduction to talking about germs.
Grace
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would rate this book a 5. This story is about children who are going to the doctor for the first time and are very nervous. But, throughout the book they go through the whole doctor checkup with the bears and they realize the doctor isn't such a scary place after all. You could use this book in a classroom by teaching children about doctors and how they are here to help you stay healthy. This book is good for young children from kindergarten to 3rd grade.
Courtney Kilbourn
This is another classic series of stories that are typically a favorite among young ones. This particular one is my favorite from the series. I love how they made the doctors office seem like a nice and inviting place and not a scary place like most kids think. I would pick this for my classroom because I want to show the children that it doesn't have to be a scary place and shots aren't has painful as they may think.
Emma Daugherty
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Berenstain Bears were always some of my favorite books growing up. This series of books is great to teach children about everyday problems, challenges, fears, and rules they might encounter. The bear family is very relatable and the stories are easy to follow with a clear beginning, middle and end. This particular story is one of my favorite because I remember it helping me to not be so afraid of the doctor's office.
Yiovana
This book talks about what to expect when going to the doctor. I liked the main idea of it and the way the story is told. However, I think it has a lot of wording for children to follow through. It can be a story to read in circle time and make sure it is read with motivation so that children can follow along. I believe children can react to it positively if they are asked questions about when the go to the doctor. Engaging them with questions can make this story enjoyable.
Krista Vogts
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because I remember my mother reading it to me when I was young. This would be a great book to use in the classroom because it could calm children's fears of the doctor. Also, this book does a good job of explaining the purpose of shots in a way children will understand. This is important for students to know because they will be getting shots often as they grow up. This book is cute, and has humor in it to keep the reader's attention.
Kristine Hansen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do like how this book tackles exactly what to expect in a check up. I don't like how the cubs are paraded out in their underwear to show the other cubs in the waiting room how bravely they can get their shots. Ick. We might need to have a talk about privacy here...

The additional storyline about Papa Bear is predictable but fun all the same. I do love that his smug self righteousness leads to his downfall.

Brittany Bean
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the Berenstain Bear books. This book was talking about going to the doctor. This would be a good book to read to children before they go to the doctor or ease their worry. Most children relate the doctors to pain or sick. This book talks about how it is important to go and have check-ups to make sure you are healthy. This would be a great book to read at home or in the classroom.
Melanie
It's time for Brother and Sister Bear to visit the doctor for a checkup. They are weighed, temperature taken, height checked and more. The cubs to great until they are told they need booster shots. But Dr. Grizzly talks them through it and they do fine. Papa Bear, however, apparently has a cold!

Dated, but the Berenstain Bears books are still good.
Anna
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Read with Logan on a marathon BB reading day in Sept, 2012.

Funny tale of the kids being good at the doctor's office and Papa then needing a shot because he is sneezing, though the entire book he's been insisting he NEVER gets sick.

Update: Re-read this book with Sabrina while visiting Austin in May, 2014.

Classic!
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor by Stan and Jan Berenstain
This book is about the cubs going to the doctor. They are scared, but do it bravely. The realize that the doctor is not a bad place, and they are there to help you. They also learn that if you don't go to the doctor you can get sick, like Papa Bear.
Kamal Sandhu
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every alternate day....my 3 year old pixie...want me to read it for her. I loved the lines ..."Take a deep breath..& stick out your tongue..Go to Doctor Grizzly, when you are young. When I talk about booster shot ...very innocently she will say...mom, like papa bears...I don't need, as I am not sick. ...more
Sidney Leon
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very humorous for me as a child. I personally was always afraid of going to the doctor but reading this book gave me almost a boost of confidence seeing as sister bear was not afraid to go to do doctor. It's a great book for young readers not only for its humor but also to loosen up that fear of doctor visits. I would recommend this book to children 3 or 4 years and up.
Ame
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
If the kids hand me a book versus me picking one out, then yes, I'm definitely reading it. They love stethoscopes, so this one is a hit.

Although I have my doubts about that doctor immediately offering to check a sick Papa Bear with a cold during his kids' own check-up, especially with all those other bears waiting outside. Overthinking a children's book is fun!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karachi: RIP - Janice Berenstain 1 5 Mar 04, 2012 08:01AM

• Come Back, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #4)
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Just Grandma and Me (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Just A Mess (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Calling Doctor Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #16)
  • The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)
  • On the Ocean Floor  (The Magic School Bus, #5)
  • Just Me and My Mom (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • The Best Nest
Stan and Jan Berenstain (often called The Berenstains) were American writers and illustrators best known for creating the children's book series the Berenstain Bears. Their son Mike joined them as a creative team in the late 1980s. ...more

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark