Start by marking “Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby” as Want to Read:
Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby

Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
24 sewing projects that celebrate the joy of a new babyCome stitch alongside celebrated fabric designer Anna Maria Horner as she prepares for her own new baby. This stunning collection of nursery d?cor, keepsakes, maternity wear, baby?s clothing, and more is all breathtakingly photographed as Anna Maria progresses through her pregnancy.

Mothers-to-be, grandparents, family,
Published May 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Handmade Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handmade Beginnings

Sarah Cofer
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing
Very nice book! Wish I knew how to sew BEFORE having babies. I love the maternity dress and the nursing shirt. Also there is a beautiful pattern for a family tree! Other patterns include booties, diaper bag (one for mama and one for daddy,) sleep sack, blankets, mobile, wall art, nesting cubes, and more.
Ciara
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
crafty sewing projects for new moms, babies, other caretakers, & siblings. there are so many ideas here! everything from the expected (baby quilts) to the ingenious (d.i.y. swaddle!). some of her ideas for mama clothes are really smart. she has tips on making them for a pregnant lady & then taking out a few elements, adding in new ones, & boom! a nursing top!

horner wrote this book upon the arrival of her SEVENTH child, so obviously she's been around the block a few times & knows
Drea
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Many great projects and ideas. I love that this book includes patterns for Pregnant ladies! Not too many books out there with up-to-date maternity clothes... Lovely photographs of finished projects.
However, the directions are a bit skimpy. Step-by-step instructions are lacking in detail with some steps entirely indecipherable. I only made it through one pattern (the maternity dress) before having to return this to the library (I'll be trying out some of the other projects when I get a chance.)
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing
This was lovely. Anna Maria covered some great welcoming baby basics. I loved the section just for Momma and I have currently finished two projects from this book. Like most sewing books, there were a couple of projects that didn't appeal to me, but taste is in the individual. Well written with lots of great photos for inspiration.
Vitalmommy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is my go-to for any new baby gifts I need. I have made the quick change trousers so many times I barely refer to the book.

The instructions could be a little more clear on some patterns, but I have always been able to complete the projects, so not too bad. The pictures are gorgeous and inspiring.
Miss
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Obviously these things are very subjective - I only like one project enough to make it: the Mama Hen & her chicks.

Although...I wonder if the maternity tunic/dress would work for a regular old plus size...Hmmmm...

Sarahmarie
I just finished making my own version of the Spectrum Quilt in this book. her aesthetic and mine didn't match up well in general, but this one project was fun and turned
out well using her clear instructions.
Hope
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diy
What fun! Good patterns written clearly enough for a beginning with lots of room to experiment if you're so inclined. The author has an engaging, conversational voice throughout. I'm considering making the tunic/dress for myself just because it's adorable and looks comfy.
Carol-Anne
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book! You can gain sewing inspiration even if you are not sewing for a baby. Interesting, slightly liberated projects. A lovely book.
Leila T.
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This is cute, if a skosh too rough-and-ready to be aspirational, but I love the ideas in here and hope to try at least one of the several patterns that appeal the most to me.
Annette
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Has some cute patterns, but this type of book assumes one has lots of time available to sew or shop for fabric. Probably a better choice for someone sewing for someone else, rather than themselves.
Holly Booms Walsh
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
Another good pattern book for babies and expectant mommies from Horner. Her books are a visual joy.
Sheila
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I need to make some of these projects. Anna Maria uses fantastic fabrics to make simple designs really spectacular. I love many of these projects!
Jess Gill
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
beautiful photographs, wonderful projects - can't wait to start sewing some projects from this book!
Lois
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
spiderweb baby quilt. a couple of interesting designs for tops for nursing. wonderful family photo of the kids with the new baby. fun.
Xuan
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
lots of good ideas and explanations. i gotta get a copy for myself, which shows how much i enjoyed the ideas.
Helena
Oct 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, nonfiction
Cute projects. Maybe by the time we have another kid my sewing skills will have improved such that I can make some of them. :)
Emelda
Not really stuff my style, although it's renewing my want to start on a quilt when I move! I really like the last quilt in the book.
Brenda Carpenter
May 14, 2014
Krissie
Mar 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers
  • Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones
  • Growing Up Sew Liberated: Making Handmade Clothes and Projects for Your Creative Child
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • "A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household (Stc Craft)
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags