Start by marking “The Price of Innocence” as Want to Read:
The Price of Innocence

The Price of Innocence

(The Legacy Series #1)

The Price of Innocence was recently re-released through Holland Legacy Publishing, updating the cover and interior, and is available in paperback and eBook version. The story is historical fiction, with romantic elements, set in 1878 Paris. It is the first in a series of three entitled the Legacy Series.

It is the tender story of Suzette Camille Rousseau, a youn
Paperback, Second Edition, 284 pages
Published January 15th 2010 by Holland Legacy Publishing (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Innocence

Start your review of The Price of Innocence
Noelle
It took me awhile to get to this book, the author did a "self promo" (wich I hate) on a thread that I started over at Amazon asking for themes where the h is so down on her luck she has nothing left to sell but herself. Yes, this book fits what I was asking for and that's the only reason I was tempted....then when it was a freebie I went ahead and clicked the button.......and let it sit on my tbr. lol I finally decided that it was time to give it a shot.

*****************************S
Anne
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
This book was not what I expected. Left destitute in Paris by her father's death, Suzette is forced to wirk in a laundry doing backbreaking work until the Madame of a brothel spies her delivering their laundry. She entices her into working for her, but Suzette manages to keep her virginity by barganing with the rather decent English Lord who was picked to be her first. What ensues is different than expected and the ending is surprising. I really liked this book. Recommended.
Bekah
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the story of an innocent young girl who loses her father and immediately plunges into poverty. Ruthlessly maneuvered into prostitution, she is saved by an Englishman who whisks her away and hides her in a country cottage and makes her his mistress.

This book went in unexpected directions and I found myself quite upset by book's end, but then I realized this was a set up for the books to come in this series. I believe Robert and Suzette's story is far from over. I was repeatedly disappoin
Beckie Treble
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was something I wasn't expecting. From the prologue I was expecting a lot of raunchy chapters, but that wasn't the case at all. It was fabulous. Read the entire thing in one day, and I'm already half way through book 2!! This is a series you just don't want to put down!!
Fabulous writing Vicki Hopkins!!!
Becs
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-owned, romance
The writer had me hooked, I didnt want to stop reading. Now that said, I do not like the way it ended though I've learned there is to be a 2nd and 3rd too I believe. I dont know that I will read the sequels.
Nia Ireland
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Elli
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Although this book has some plot to it,it was mainly based around the steamier side of life and emphasized the particularly two-facedness of the practitioners of the Victorian ideals of life and sex, the societical worthlessness of those who just didn't, for one reason or another, and the unfairness of life. At least that seemed the sum up of the too-strong emphasis. It's not badly written, but, for me, there was really nothing much to write about. Disappointing.
Libby
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How refreshing to find a book that is honest and factual! This is a real life tale - like it would have been. I consider it to be very well written. Many reviewers have complained that it isn't a romance. Well I think that it is - only it isn't the fairytale kind. The characters are refreshingly real as are their feelings and actions. Not every romance has a happy ending.
Well done to the author! I look forward to reading more from you.
Reena
May 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really disliked this book. It seemed very third person and I never felt a real connection to the characters. Suzette seems very naive to the point of infuriating. It really took a lot to get through this book. I felt there was more details given to the surroundings and environment then to the actual feelings and thoughts of the characters.
Linda Boulanger
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I picked up Vicki Hopkin's "The Price of Innocence" Saturday afternoon and read off and on until bedtime...at which time I got back up and read more until the wee hours of the morning. I could not put it down! I HAD to know what happened next...
Rebecca Adling
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazing ending. This book was a breakaway from standard romance formula and moves more along the line of an epic. It's a bit wordy, but the ending is worth it. If your looking for something with more bite to the characters and story then this is the book for you.
Beatrice Rivers
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is Recommended by me, with a 4.5 star rating!
Kristen Hirsch
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, I downloaded it for my Kindle just out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised, i quickly fell in love with Suzette! I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Sara
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I Loved this book so much that I purchased the Second book in this series after finishing it. I am now waiting impatiently for the third book.
Dennae
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Jennie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
loved the story, quite heartfelt wjen you are along with the main characters journey through her tragedy. Losing a loves one, suffering through horrible work conditions and being manipulated into prostotution. She was is a strong person. But, I wish she knew that about herself. Her graditiude towards hers hero was understandable. Bit, I wish he handled the marriage and misstress parts bwtter with honesty. She deserved that much. Happy her old fiance found her and took her home to have their unor ...more
Sharon Eikenberry-Deary
To do what Suzette had to do to survive

Her father died in his sleep. She had no finances the courts sell everything to clear debts. Her father is buried in the paupers grave. She is homeless then going to a shelter which she has to leave. She works as a laundress and delivers and pickup linen from a brothel. What will happen when she meets Lord Robert as one of her clients. How much is to buy you innocence. Does come with a cost or maybe be a mistress
Regina Mastrogiacomo
Definitely not one of my favorites

All I can say is annoying and obvious plot and women characters that were pathetic and always a victim. Even after I thought there was going to be someone who restores Suzette to her station in life she gives her virtue to a man without questions and makes herself a fallen woman.
Yes, at the end everything works out but all I could think of were the movies, "Tess, and French lieutenant woman." Both tragic but still a better story.
Zoe
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was one of the worst romance novels I ever read. I was constantly disappointed with the plot, the characters, the dialogue, and the setting. while I don't like to criticize a writer's first efforts overmuch I strongly suggest Ms. Hopkins find a qualified editor who can keep the story and the characters on a somewhat believable course before foisting another book on the unsuspecting public.
Linda
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is the saga of Suzette Rousseau: homeless, penniless orphan after the sudden death of her father; charity case; laundress; prostitute in a high-end Paris brothel; pampered mistress of a titled English gentleman; fiancee; wife; and mother.
Kassey galary
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so upset because of the ending of this book i literally cried!
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-challenge
Beginning of a saga that looks to span generations. I did not care for the story.
Michelle
Nov 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very depressing book, which had no ending, forcing you to buy future books. Needless to say, I won't be doing that!
daphne negron
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Good Story

I thought this would be a run of the mill love story. Boy was I wrong. You just have to read it....I’m buying book 2. I can’t wait!
Victoria
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Amanda Caswell
This is a very interesting look at extreme poverty in Victorian-era France and one woman's drive to survive. One morning, eighteen-year-old Suzette awakens to find her father dead and her estate sold to pay his debts. Only alone and destitute does she realize how naive she really is about the world. After a time she finds a menial job as a laundress in a sweat shop, making daily deliveries to the brothel Chabanais. The owner covets Suzette for one of her girls and bribes her boss to fire her lat ...more
Sharon
Wow. Where to start. First of all, I wanted to like this book. And I tried really, really hard to do so. However, early on I found myself mentally knocking off one star for a serious error in fact. While Prince Edward Albert (aka Bertie), Prince of Wales, had some rather notorious peccadilloes in Le Chabanais (the setting for a great deal of this book), he was *not* King Edward of England until 1901. Yet, he was referred to as such several times in the manuscript, where it is supposed to be 1878 ...more
Crystal
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some major points in the story:
During the novel when Suzette went to work at the whore house she would boast about her education and go on and on about how bad the whores are and then when Robert saves her she basically sells her body to him which is a major point of hypocracy. Once Robert and Suzette arrive in England he turns into a major jerk. Leaves poor Suzette in a house outside of London whilst he is frolicking away with another woman and he keeps stringing her along and when Suzett
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
Suzette Rousseau is a young girl (18) who finds herself on the streets after her father dies unexpectedly. With no money, no family, no friends, she finds herself going from bad to worse as she gets sent from the convent to the laundry house and finally ending up at The Chabanais, the most famous brothel in France. I found the story interesting but the writing and speech doesn't really emphasis the time period which was slightly annoying but as long as you have a good imagination it is overlooka ...more
Lissa
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised with the negative reviews that this book has received. I found the story different from the normal stories of this genre. The heroine of the book, Suzette, a young French girl falls into hardship after her father dies suddenly and her fiance is away at sea and with no one to turn to she seeks shelter with the sisters of Charity. Finding a job working as a laundress she begins to accept her lot in life. One of the places she deals with is the local brothel and when she is fired late ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
A Cyber Launch Party For Vicki Hopkins 1 12 Apr 14, 2010 07:45AM

• Mask of Duplicity (The Jacobite Chronicles #1)
  • Secrets of Midnight (The Man of My Dreams Series, #1)
  • Chills (Distinguished Rogues, #1)
  • Amethyst (The Jewel Trilogy, #1)
  • The Reclusive Earl (Marriage by Fate #1)
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint of Seven Dials, #1)
  • Always and Forever (Second Chance Brides #7)
  • Taming a Duke's Reckless Heart (Taming the Heart, #1)
  • To Save a Sinner
  • The Seduction of Lord Stone (Dashing Widows, #1)
  • An Indecent Wager
  • Silver Storm (Raveneau, #1)
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)
  • A Cornish Christmas Reunion
  • Somewhat Scandalous (Brambridge Novels Book 1)
  • My Sister's Secret: A Hot and Historical Regency Romance (Free and Fetching Ladies Book 1)
  • Emilie (Cajun #1)
  • The Devil May Care (Rogues & Gentlemen #4)
Award Winning Author of Historical Romance, Historical Family Sagas, Gothic Romance, and Historical Fiction. Books available in eBook, Print, and Audio.

The Legacy Series (4 books)
  • The Price of Deception