Start by marking “The Little Hummingbird” as Want to Read:
The Little Hummingbird

The Little Hummingbird

A new edition of the beautifully illustrated, bestselling book, revised for younger readers.

This inspiring children's book, a revised edition of the award-winning Flight of the Hummingbird, is based on a South American indigenous story about a courageous hummingbird who defies fear and expectations in her attempt to save the forest from fire. The illustrated story is suppl
Published March 1st 2010 by Greystone Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Hummingbird, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Little Hummingbird
Rita Shaffer
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I am doing what I can." ...more
Elizabeth
4.5 stars.

This is such a beautiful little story, with a lovely message. It feels especially relevant in the midst of an environmental crisis. It feels like a great way for children to learn that the smallest actions can have impact, and it's a good reminder of the same for adults. The illustrations are beautiful.

Recommended!
Gina
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elegantly simple and profound.
Kris
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning artwork, and a simple, impactful story. Fantastic.
Maria Caplin
A little drop of water can make all the difference. Relevant story for our current times. Everyone can do their part in our world.
Jen
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-kidlit
If you subscribe to the philosophy that "brevity is a virtue" you will appreciate this simple and boldly wrought fable. Yahgulanaas' uses his unique Haida-Manga artwork to excellent effect. The artwork is unlike that of any other Blue Spruce nominee in recent history. His choice of using only 3 tones mirrors the simplicity of the fable itself. The ending comes abruptly; almost shockingly so for children. However, the moral is clear: although you may be small, scared, overwhelmed and against grea ...more
Laura5
I love the message from Wangari Maathai in the back of this book - it fits so perfectly with the message of the story.

This would fit perfectly with lessons/curriculum that "calls students to action".
Barbara Lovejoy
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The teacher in our Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints zoom Relief Society meeting today shared this book with us. I was intrigued with the story and found it on Youtube, and I was able to read it along with the reader. It reminded me of a poem (and book!), "Famous", by Naomi Shihab that is a favorite of mine.

Famous
BY NAOMI SHIHAB NYE
The river is famous to the fish.

The loud voice is famous to silence,
which knew it would inherit the earth
before anybody said so.

The cat sleeping on the
Leah
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely version of a Quechua tale about a hummingbird trying to put out a forest fire, drop by water drop. A great environmental moral of never giving up and how even the smallest actions can have a big effect in your home, your neighborhood, and your country.
Matt Miles
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The parable might be familiar to many, but the excellent artwork makes the striking ending all the more emotionally relevant. Hopefully this will encourage readers of all ages to be like the hummingbird.
Luella Lee
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story and beautiful illustrations.
Chacha
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-indian
This story is beautiful.
Elizabeth  Chang
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, 3-stars, picture, reviews
Really enjoyed seeing some indigenous art! Looks really cool!
Sam - Spines in a Line
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A simple and sweet story with stunning artwork.
Judi
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The artwork is stunning in this Native South American myth of the hummingbird. Yahgulanaas, an artist by trade, draws upon his heritage to embrace the boldness of typical anime stylings. However, he sticks with a simple color scheme of black and white, with red used throughout to evoke emotion and passion. The Pacific Northwest influences are apparent throughout, too.
The story itself is timeless but carries a simple message: do what you can do; every little bit makes a difference. The only thing
Whole And
The amazing hummingbird, the joyful messenger as described by Wangari Maathai, does all she can to save the burning forest, even though she can only carry one drop of rain at a time.

The other animals of the forest follow her lead but not at first.

An engaging story of courage to do all one can, even though it seems an impossible feat, the little hummingbird continued. Excellent for teaching about the protecting the environment, natural disasters and that every little thing we do counts.

Highly rec
Nancy Jo Lambert
Love, love, love this book! My son and I read this at a time when I really needed the message. This was an iffy purchase for me, but I am so glad it is in the library now!

In this book, the Little Hummingbird is taking a little drop of water and to put on the fire that is burning the forest down. When asked by the Big Bear what he was doing, the Little Hummingbird responds with, "I'm doing everything I can."

Such a moving and powerful little book with simple but elegant illustrations.
Allison
Love, love, love this book! Thanks to Franki Sibberson for introducing it to me through a blog post on choosing books wisely for launching the school year. Love the message: Do something, anything, do what you can.

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Melissa
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
An African fable with gorgeous native American illustrations. The story earned two stars because it had a very incomplete ending that left my kindergartener confused. The illustrations earn a four plus stars.
Heather
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simple but very powerful message. I love the artwork and think it is a perfect fit for the story.
Alice
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Simple pictures. A great message of even the smallest of creatures can do big things. Read at Yorkville Library Toronto, Ontario Canada
Stephanie
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, pbs-non-fiction
This is like an Aesop fable in some ways. Making you think and short and sweet. The message from Wangari Maathai is longer than the story.
Danielle
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Striking illustrations, suspenseful story, inspiring message.

That Little Hummingbird is amazing.
Leilani Fairweather
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from my nephew and I loved it so much. beautiful illustrations and a great story.
erin
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
adore the art..the message...the everything...
Peter
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
beautiful artwork
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book to spark discussion about community.
Giulia
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book speaks volumes with so few words. It gives kids a message of hope and faith and they liked figuring out the book's message with me. ...more
Amber

• My First Book of Haiku Poems
  • The Borrowed Hanukkah Latkes
  • The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology
  • The Clown of God
  • Caroline Takes a Chance (American Girls: Caroline, #4)
  • A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)
  • 13 Artists Children Should Know
Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas is an award-winning visual contemporary artist, author and professional speaker. His work has been seen in public spaces, museums, galleries and private collections across the globe. Institutional collections include the British Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Seattle Art Museum and Vancouver Art Gallery. His large sculptural works are part of the public art collecti ...more

News & Interviews