Start by marking “Domain of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Domain of the Dead

Domain of the Dead

(Domain of the Dead #1)

The world is dead, devoured by a plague of reanimated corpses. In a crumbling city Sarah, Nathan, and a band of survivors barricade themselves inside a warehouse surrounded by a sea of shambling putrefaction. Days in seclusion blur by, and their food is nearly gone. The group is faced with two possible deaths: creeping starvation, or the undead outside the warehouse. As Sa ...more
Published November 23rd 2009 by Permuted Press (first published May 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Domain of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Domain of the Dead

Robert Beveridge
Ian McKinnon, Domain of the Dead (Permuted Press, 2009)

Whil I can't say that Domain of the Dead does anything new with the zombie genre, existing fans will not be disappointed by McKinnon's novel; after a couple of quick opening chapters that set up the main characters, the book takes off, and it's chock-full of hot zombie action. The majority of it is also set on a boat, which means said hot zombie action is taking place in cramped spaces that are mostly dim, if not dark, which ramps up the exc
TheDenizen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: shit, horror
Shocked by the high reviews and praise here. This book is HIGHLY derivative of Romero's Day of the Dead film, and is chock full of spelling and grammar errors. Maybe subsequent editions have fixed up the atrocious editing, but this book mostly just pissed me off with its repetitive, uninspired prose.
David
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book by Iain McKinnnon, due for re-release from Permuted Press later this year. Reads more like a late 80's action / monster movie than a traditional zombie story, but that's no bad thing!
Matt Darst
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iain McKinnon has developed a bit of a deserved cult among my friends. Recently I got sick of all of their hero worship and decided to find out for myself why his books are such a big deal. I just finished "Domain of the Dead." I must confess, having stayed at the "compound," I am now a missionary.
Mr. McKinnon has written a book that can only be deemed "horror literature." His narrative style is sharp, his dialogue quick, his characters inspired, and his gore plentiful. Too much gore, however,
Cyn
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

This was fun and well-written, but I had some issues which were enough to make me knock a half star off what would have been a 4 star review. Those issues were (SPOILERS BELOW):

One - I always have thought it ridiculous that in the middle of something dangerous and horrible going on, that a character feels a sudden 'spark of passion' for someone. Give me a break.

Two - One of the characters got bitten, so they put his hand/arm in liquid nitrogen to 'stop the spread'. Problem is, by by tim
Martin Belcher
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really enjoyed this zombie book, a little different than the rest with a twist at the end. Nathan and Sarah are sheltering from the walking dead in a warehouse but supplies are running low. A visit to the warehouse roof means they spot a distant helicopter, they decide to strike out in a journey to find out where the helicopter has landed and where these survivors have come from....

A scary fight across a zombie wasteland, a helicopter rescue and a trip to an isolated boat housing an experiment
John
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
May as well get a copy of Day of The Dead movie since this book pretty much copies it. On a boat rather then underground,insane doctor even referenced with the same name of Frankenstein, use of liquid nitrogen instead of fire to remove an arm to stop infection and so on and so on.
Kuroi
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David McDonald
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always worn my diseased heart on my sleeve when it comes to the fact that I try to champion homegrown horror here in the UK and so, when I came across the work of fellow Scotsman Iain McKinnon in the awesome horror anthology Holiday of the Dead, I was keen to get my hands on some more of his work. What I discovered was his novel, Domain of the Dead, a story centring on the aftermath of the dead rising and plaguing the earth.

I have to admit that straight off the bat, the title of this tale d
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Domain of the Dead begins with a group of survivors living in a warehouse that was stocked with food when the zombie apocalypse began. There were 27 survivors at one point but they are down to a handful of them and one, Sarah, has decided that it would be best to end it all, because their food is about to run out after being tucked away in this place for as long as they all have. She climbs up to the roof, ready to jump, and sees a helicopter off in the distance and the decision is quickly made ...more
chucklesthescot
A group of starving survivors leave the safety of a warehouse to fight through a zombie horde to get to a helicopter that is catching zombie specimens to be studied in a lab out at sea. Not everyone can fit on the helicopter and the lucky ones discover that the ship might not be the safest place to be after all, when the zombie virus gets loose there.

The ship captain seems quite unstable and is worried about the experiments that the scientists are doing on the zombies. He has already lost soldie
Colleen
May 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
I read this book yesterday and already almost forgot the plot.

I see there's a bunch of these, so it might improve. My tolerance for some of these narrators is just at low levels. Years after zombie outbreak, the whole country is ruined. A few smart survivors have lived for years barricaded in a Costco like warehouse, the supplies are dwindling, and they see a helicopter.

This seems like an awesome start. But then in a horrible escape--parts just seemed dumb to me--why would you give the precious
Mark Woods
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's four years after World War Z,the war is over and mankind lost. A lone band of survivors are ekiing out the final days of their existence in an abandoned warehouse when they hear something they never thought to hear again. The sound of a helicopter!

Leaving their sanctuary with dreams of rescue, the survivors brave the undead infested streets in a bid to reach salvation. But once at the landing site, they soon realise that not all of them can fit on the copter....hard descisions are made, peo
Faye, la Patata
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie fans
Shelves: zombie
After seeing that this was only $2.99 on the kindle store, I bought it without hesitation. And I must say it was quite a good read! We're introduced to a bunch of survivors who have been trapped in a warehouse for years, malnourished and hopeless. Sarah, the main character, heard a chopper going by one morning and convinced her fellow survivors to abandon their sanctuary and make a run towards the chopper, which may just be their last hope to surviving the already dead world. One problem though ...more
Michele Cacano
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Iain McKinnon delivers a great first novel. It is shy one star of perfect mostly due to typos and misspelled words, which is really a shame. It saddens me to see something come to print without the attention to detail and editing needed to make the story shine. It's like showing up to your wedding in cut-off shorts and flip-flops.

The first chapter was a ramrod of action, and probably saw the most editing, as it was free of any visible errors. The characters are introduced in such a way that we g
Richard Kearney
Iain McKinnon's first novel crams quite a bit into its action-packed 185 pages: a narrative that takes place on land, in the air, and at sea, the development of at least eight major characters, and the crafting of enough suspenseful twists and turns in the plot to keep you reading. A rag-tag group of survivors from a zombie apocalypse, on the verge of starvation and despair in an almost-depleted urban warehouse that has sustained them for years, gets an unexpected chance at escape and rescue...b ...more
Kaisersoze
After a breathtaking beginning, McKinnon's Domain of the Dead puts a slight spin on the usual zombie novel stereotypes by having the rest of its action set on a ship out at sea. For a debut author, McKinnon really knows how to draw the reader in, and provides a set of characters that are just nuanced and interesting enough to care about. A few of his soldiers are particularly well constructed, so that when the inevitable mistake gets made and the excrement hits the fan, I found myself genuinely ...more
Caridad cruz
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an action packed story!! WOW!! that was AWESOME!! I just couldn't put it down, then I was reading it too fast, I didn't want it to end, so I would try to prolong it, but I just couldn't hold on.I say BRAVO to the author, that was some story! I don't want to spoil it for others. I recommend this book to everyone and anyone who wants to read a fast paced, hell of a GREAT BOOK!! It has zombies, guts, gore, it will have you at the edge of your seat biting your nails, waiting to see what will ha ...more
Joe
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, apocalypse
Iain McKinnon has written a great Z book. When a group of survivors hear a helicopter land adjacent to the wharehouse where they have been holed up for years, they decide to bolt through the horde of undead to reach it. This is the story of the ones who made it onto the helicopter. I was thrilled when I got the end of the book and found out there was a second book (Remains of the Dead) that told the story of those that were left behind. I hated having to put these books down at night. The Romero ...more
Kevin Walsh

Above is the link for the review I wrote for Domain of the Dead on Buyzombie.com This is by far one of the best novels in the zombie genre, very well written and the author provides a plausible biological explanation for how the undead came to be. (It's actually quite fantastic how he came up with this explanantion) and this is a terrifying story. It is the only zombie novel I've read where I was genuinly spooked while reading some of the scenes.

If you're
Kristi
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid read in the genre and does have some unique twists, such as setting most of the story at sea. The ship definitely provides the locked room paranoia to this story as the characters realize they never really were safe after all. I also particularly liked the unresolved arc and the realism of the scenes. Want to learn about zombie gore up close? Just read this book. So why the 3 star rating? Well...I thought the middle was a bit slow and the detailed descriptions of the zombie virol ...more
Ig
May 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Domain of the Dead (ISBN 9781934861271) by, Iain McKinnon, is fast paced action novel, in a post appocalyptical world where Zombies have taken over.

The novel is akin to watching a zombie horror movie, by the likes of 28 Days Later. This was demonstrated in the plot, and mainly in how the characters’ stories were developed in parallel–telling each part of the gruesome tale.

What took away from the novel, were the countless typos sprinkled through the novel.

I guess you get what you expect from this
Paul Owens
With the zombie genre showing no sign of blowing its brains out I was getting a bit bored of the standard run-of-the-mill zombies-vs-survivors dramas. I was looking for something a bit different. Something that would breathe some life through those fetid lips. 'Domain of the Dead' is not that book. A bunch of civilians team up with a gung-ho military unit and a egotistical scientist. What could possibly go wrong? The whole thing moves along quickly enough without involving you and there is no re ...more
Taddy
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really did it for me. I liked that it took place a few years "after the event". I also really enjoyed the location of the boat. It made it quite a different zombie read for me just from being on the boat alone. I also found the boat chuck full of dark humor ! Maybe am just a dark dark girl, because i "think" if the author intended it to be there, but even if not, it was there and I thank him for him!

Fabulous read, great ending to set up for the next book in the series which I am off t
Tena Clifford
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just became a fan of Zombies from watching " Walking Dead" so I thought I would read a couple books about them and see how it compares.. I have never heard of Iain McKinnon I just picked him random from Amazon and I have to say I picked a good one. Holy Cow his books kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I was getting anxiety from his books wondering what was going to happen next I found myself waking up in the middle of the night to read because I couldn't wait to see what was going ...more
April Hesler
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second time reading this. I wanted to freshen my memory before reading the next book in this series. It's a decent book, there's never a dull moment.
Life since the rising of the dead has been tough, so tough that Sarah is standing on a roof - getting ready to jump off... She hears a noise that sounds like a helicopter, and her desire to give up instantly turns to hope. The members of her group make a run for it, with no idea of what's waiting for them...
Girly
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apocalypse-fun
Great story. Can't wait to read the follow-up, if there is one. The editing does go slightly downhill after the first quarter of the book and, at times, gets annoying. I really wish this genre of books was edited better even though the storylines are good.

Instead of holed-up in a house or compound, this story takes place on a research/ military vessel.
FeedZChildren
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s action, adventure, horror, love, and backstory. The characters are crisp in a way that most novels can’t nail. Each character is well written and easily identifiable in action and dialogue. The action is sharp. The action scenes are so well conceived and written that you’ll find yourself mimicking the characters actions.
Henrik
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Action-packed and with a lot of the usual zombie tropes. Prose is tight, which can be good, but too lean for my taste. Also, I didn't find the characters to be "real". Admittedly, I may be judging this one for the wrong reasons, since I am simply not the kind of reader this book is aimed at. But there you go.
Trevor
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Another overall good book from Permuted Press -- just there's some things like simple typos and other syntax issues that could have been prevented with a couple proofreads. But still it's a cool book more about survivors (?) than zombies.
« previous 1 3 next »
How To Pick A Domain 1 1 Feb 06, 2019 02:36AM
Marke Domain Of The Dead "to read"? 1 10 Dec 23, 2010 04:27AM

• Eden
  • After Life
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Kings of the Dead
  • After the End
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Down the Road
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • Dead Living
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • Among the Living
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • The World Is Dead
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • The Human Condition (Autumn, #6)
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Zombie Britannica
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)

Domain of the Dead (3 books)
  • Remains of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #2)
  • Demise of the Living (Domain of the Dead #3)
“The sentence, having fumbled to a petering end, she too left.” 0 likes