Start by marking “Cat vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat” as Want to Read:
Cat vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat

Cat vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  866 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
In this companion to her successful introduction to cat behavior Think Like a Cat, Pam Johnson-Bennett, the award-winning author and feline behaviorist, shows how adding another cat to your home does not have to be the start of a kitty apocalypse. Although cats are often misunderstood as natural loners, Johnson-Bennett shows how to plan, set up, and maintain a home environ ...more
Published July 6th 2004 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Cat vs. Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat vs. Cat

Veronica Noechel
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, even for those who have a fair amount of cat knowledge and experience. Great resource for solving cat conflicts in the home. She gives intelligent answers that make you go, "of course!" after reading them, they make so much sense. When I read this book, we were having some problems integrating a new kitten into our already 2-cat home. One of ours had some kind of vendetta against the little guy, even though we'd tried to follow good introduction protocol. The adult female would a ...more
Gary
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are considering adding another cat to your family, read this BEFORE you get the new cat. It might actually help.
Strangely enough the author didn't address some scenarios that I am experiencing now with my newbie and his older sister but we'll figure it out.
It's a good guide (I guess) and most likely will help those who are at a complete loss but absolutely must have more than one cat under their roof (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

Kind of disappointing that she waited until almost
Jen Burke
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My cat of 16 years passed away a little over a year ago, and silly as it sounds, I guess I must still be mourning him. Although it probably stands to reason. I knew everything about that cat. His likes, dislikes, and where he could be found in the house at any given moment. I remember waking my husband from time to time in the middle of the night and telling him the cat had been hunting or ill. And sure enough, the next morning we'd find evidence of the same. I don't attribute this to any specia ...more
Katie Winkelman
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As a person who studies ethology, this book is mostly excellent, but is highly outdated. I suggest skipping this book altogether and going straight to reading her more recent book, Catwise. If you do read it, disregard any part that suggests using a “water pistol” or “squirt bottle” as that is outdated and inhumane. Also, if she has anything to say about dog behavior, ignore her because she has no idea what she’s talking about. In this book she attempts to give dog behavior advice when introduci ...more
Melissa
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was helpful with some tips on cat behavior, most especially when I integrated the last cat (with a stormy past) to my home. There were a plethora of misspellings and grammar errors in the copy I read. But, the information was helpful perhaps even more so if you didn't have a behavioral background. Most of the material was a refresher for me and therefore I stopped reading the book halfway through. Only a day or so ago did I decide to finish it in order to clear it off my goodreads. Rec ...more
Erin M
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me, because I am about to start fostering cats from a local shelter. Even though I have been a cat owner for 10 years, and had two cats most of that time, I found this book to have a lot of helpful information, especially when trying to decode cat behaviors. I had a lot of 'Aha!' moments while reading through various chapters. Johnson-Bennett gives a lot of really useful information and product recommendations, but also does so in a way where you don't feel like a ba ...more
Laurie
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cat Lovers
Shelves: non-fiction, kitties
A must-read for anyone who has more than one cat. While it would take extreme amounts of time & effort to use all of the techniques mentioned in the book, it really is jam-packed with useful info. This book sheds light on the motivation behind feline behavior.
Rochelle
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: zina
I gave this book three stars because it was on a topic that currently interests me. I learned alot about the behaviour of cats. Hopefully my cats will read a book on the behaviour of humans sometime soon.
Angela
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
This is a great companion to Ms. Johnson-Bennett's Think Like a Cat. Cat vs. Cat adds to the cat owner's understanding of cat behavior by explaining how cats relate to each other. This helps tremendously when you have more than one cat living in your home.

My husband and I have five cats who get along quite well. Cat vs. Cat has helped us understand our cats' hierarchy and their schedule, and allows us to respect and appreciate them.

One thing I love about Ms. Johnson-Bennett's books is that she e
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Great book full of great ideas for keeping peace in multi-cat households. While much of this I've heard elsewhere (like on My Cat From Hell TV show) there was really other gems I picked up that I put into place. We just introduced two new cats - so far the two cats (got them from the shelter but they were not related or bonded) are doing great. Our older cat girl - not so much. Ah well. Very worth it to learn more about cats and their behavior!
Mary
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone who is considering a multi-cat household!! I am happy and proud to have 10 indoor cats from ages 6 months to 14 years who get along very well about 99% of the time and I truly feel that I owe the harmony in our house to the excellent advice dispensed by Ms. Johnson-Bennett.
Whitney
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cats, non-fiction
The title is a bit misleading. As a general guide for cat ownership and behavior, this is a fine book. But I didn't get as much info as I'd have liked about helping multiple kitties coexist peacefully. Also, sometimes I felt like this book was one big advertisement for Feliway (which we've tried, but doesn't seem to work) and other commercial cat products.
Zgardenldy
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Most of us with cats know many of these suggestions. The book is also a little heavy on advertising certain products which make me wonder if she is getting a kick back. There is a couple good sections about introducing new cat, babies and even boyfriends to your cats.
Gina
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any multi-cat family, or anyone thinking of turning their home into a multi -cat one.
Peacegal
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was just the type of book I was looking for to help me deal with the feline mini-war going on under my roof. If your cats appear to hate each other, this is the book you need to read.
Katie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Am I bad cat mom or is this lady crazy??
I think the answer is both, but I also think she's more crazy than I am a bad cat-mom. Maybe a nicer way of putting it is super aware of her cats' behavior with plenty of free time to fulfill their every need?

I ordered this book after a vet trip that left Pippin VERY upset that Merry was in his house. By the time the book came in things had gone back to normal, but I decided to read the book anyway.

Even though this was not my favorite read, I ended up read
NebraskaIcebergs
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Even if you already own several books about cats, you should add Cat Vs. Cat to your collection. This guide by feline behaviorist Pam Johnson-Bennett focuses on the specific topic of multi-cat households, along with also providing information about the territorial nature of cats. In doing so, Bennett has written an interesting and thorough handbook on how to create and maintain a peaceful household when you live with more than one cat.

The feline hierarchy is important to understand because, unli
Jessica
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some goo insight into dealing with cats getting along.. Time will tell.
Lacey Louwagie
I put this book on my reading list in the aftermath of what I have dubbed "The Great Kitty War of 2008" -- a harrowing experience in which one of my cats turned on the other as if she were a stranger after the latter visited the vet. However, by the time I actually acquired the book, the "war" had died down to an occasional outbreak of violence, and I didn't feel the need to read it immediately. I kept the book on hand, though, "just in case."

Fast forward six years, and one of the parties in the
Denise
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats-animals
This is a great book for all those living in a multicat home. Written by a cat behaviorist, it has lots of great advice on how to keep peace in your home when you have a big cat family like I do. It covers many subjects in great detail like feeding, entertaining, litterbox issues, illness, aggressiveness, etc. And with every explanation she gives you pointers as what might be happening with the cats in order to behave in such and such way, and she also gives you treatment plans for everything.

A
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, owned
This book made me see my cats in a new light. I originally picked it up because our first cat (Shadow) has never accepted our second cat (Parker), and it's not a passive kind of rejection unfortunately. Shadow was relentless in attacking Parker, and Parker could never relax while both cats were out and about in the house. We were planning a move, so I picked this book up thinking we could take advantage of the change in territory to give the cats a fresh start, and I'm very glad I read it. Every ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book while looking for solutions for the aggression in my multi-cat household. It contains a lot of information about body language, types of aggression (and how to deal with it), territory, feeding, litterbox maintenance, and more. The section of the book that I have been spending the most time with is the section on how to introduce, or re-introduce, cats.

The style of writing is interesting and easy to follow. I was concerned that it would be like reading a textbook, but that
Laura Cushing
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for multi-cat families that explains the dynamics between felines, how to introduce them to each other, and how to get them to cohabitate peacefully.

We just got a little kitten and wanted to introduce him to our two year old cat with a minimum of trouble. We were already doing pretty well, but got this book just to ensure we were doing the right things. There were some tips and tricks in there we wouldn't have thought of on our own.

The author is a cat behavioral expert, and prese
Emily
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all cat owners!!
I learned a ton from this book. There were several things I've seen my cats do that I really didn't think anything of until she mentioned them in this book. Many of those things were actually very significant, and I am now able to prevent many issues from occurring in our multicat household. She gave a lot of suggestions for interactive toys, which I found to be both interesting and helpful. Lucky for our cats, I read this book around Christmas time and they will be getting many new and fun toys ...more
Michel
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. If you have more than one cat, you MUST read this book. In fact, it's still a great read even if you only have one cat. It's a quick read but filled with interesting and useful information.

I picked it up because I lost my beloved KittyCat who I had together with his sister for a decade. I wanted to be sure I introduced a new cat the right way when the time came. There was great info on that, but I also learned a lot about cat behavior in general. There were a lot of "aha" moments when
Jen
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All cat owners & lovers
Shelves: educational
I bought this book out of desperation when we were attempting to add a third cat to our household. The integration process was long and difficult, but the advice I found in this book was invaluable; I'm not sure the process would have worked without it! In fact, had I read the book BEFORE bringing the new kitten home, I'm sure it would have been a much smoother transition.

Key issues like feline dominance and marking behaviors are covered thoroughly, and every "bad" behavior you can think of is a
Laurie
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This cat behavior book focuses on the special problems that can arise when you have a multi cat household. Cats adapt to living together despite not being pack animals, but they do have a hierarchical social structure that is invisible to many humans. Awareness of this structure, and the various cats’ places in the structure, helps immensely in keeping things peaceful. While knowing general cat behavior modification techniques is necessary when you have multiple cats, knowing the signs of domina ...more
Schnaucl
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving the book a provisional four and a half stars. I haven't had an opportunity yet to try the recommendations in the book on my parents' cats so I can't speak to how well they work.

Although I've loved cats all my life and subscribed to Cat Fancy when I was young I still learned some valuable information about hierarchy, territory, the importance of vertical space, and how to correctly play with your cat(s). Yes, there is a correct and incorrect way. Even if you're not having problems betw
Angela
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read one of Pam Johnson-Bennett's books before adopting my first adult kitty and it was really helpful… but really wish I had read this one before introducing any of my new cats to each other. I'm currently trying to make peace between two adult male cats, and this book is awesome. It explains the nuances of what both cats are thinking, I no longer have to try to guess. It also gives tons of tips/tricks for what I can actually do to HELP the situation and ease the transition, as opposed to jus ...more
Vivienne
Picked this up as it came well recommended as a guide to understanding feline behavior in multi-cat households. After the death of two beloved cats last year, I formally adopted a 6-year old neutured male cat who had been hanging round for couple of years and it has caused some issues with my remaining two females who have both been here since young kitten/birth.

The book gave me plenty of insight into terrirtorial issues and handy tips on how to deal with conflict between them, which does at ti
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 3 104 Apr 20, 2016 01:34PM
  • The Secret Life of Your Cat: Unlock the Mysteries of Your Pet's Behaviour
  • The Cat Behavior Answer Book: Practical Insights & Proven Solutions for Your Feline Questions
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics
  • Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • The Cats' House
  • Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • What Is My Cat Thinking?
Pam Johnson-Bennett is the host of the TV series "Psycho Kitty" which airs on the Discovery UK channel. She is the best-selling author of 7 books on cats and is considered a pioneer in the field of cat behavior consulting. Her ground-breaking book, Think Like a Cat, is considered the cat bible among owners, experts, and shelter personnel worldwide. She is a Certified Cat Behavior Consultant and a ...more
More about Pam Johnson-Bennett

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division