Start by marking “Valerian: The New Future Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Valerian: The New Future Trilogy

Valerian: The New Future Trilogy

(Valérian - Intégrales #5)

A collection of stories that features Valerian and his beautiful, sharp-witted and sharp-tongued partner, Laureline. It features adventures set against backgrounds such as: complex architectural inventions, futuristic machines, otherworldly landscapes, and odd-looking aliens.
Published January 1st 2005 by iBooks (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Valerian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valerian

Start your review of Valerian: The New Future Trilogy
Debbie Zapata
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019sundaze
When I was living in Mexico I made a twice-yearly bus trip north to visit Mom for a week at a time. I slept a lot during those trips (minimum 26 hours on the road, sometimes longer) but every once in awhile I would be awake for whatever movies were being shown. {It wasn't until the final two trips that the bus came equipped with personal screens so that each passenger could pick their own film to watch. During all the other years we sleepy riders watched whatever the driver had programmed for ...more
Jeff Raymond
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up solely due to the movie coming out.

The movie looks fascinating, and the French graphic novel series it's based off of is extremely ambitious. As a classic of the genre, the book definitely has an old feel to it and is more than a little jarring to a modern eye, but the meat of the story is there and that's basically what matters in this specific instance.

I think this could probably use a modern refresh, truly, but as a classic of the genre it isn't bad at all, and I wish more
Micah
Outdated politics.
Fucking amazing artwork.
No sense of irony.

It's all there.

Which makes Valerian something of a classic; an ur exemplary french sci-fi comic, with all that entails; better remembered than read. This is the type of bog standard shit the guys at Metal Hurllant would twist into something transgressive and sublime; OG Japanese manga titans would strip mine for tropes and tricks; Lucas, Jodorowsky, and Dan O'Bannon would
Freya
Review to come :)
Dan
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like many out there picking up a Valerian and Lauriline comic, I wanted to get a taste of the original before the big Luc Besson movie comes out this summer. Funnily enough, I'd never heard of Valerian before, and I'd consider myself quite the comic expert/geek.
This volume jumps right into the story, a couple of strange metallic aliens wander around a casino, which then jumps to our main characters - Valerian and Lauriline, ex-spacio-temporal agents now trapped on 20th century Earth. There are
Shanna
Once I saw the preview for this movie come out, I just knew I had to find the comic in my library. This is the only volume available in my library system, so I had to bend my "read from the beginning" rule.

The comic is quirky, fun, and mostly different than the movie adaptation. Valerian and Laureline seem older in the comic and in this particular collection, go on different adventures than in the movie. Some of the characters that appear in the movie are also featured in this volume.

Overall, I
The Angry Lawn Gnome
As much as I wanted to be impressed by this, well, I really was not, sadly. Incomprehensible plot (possibly because this was the first book in this series I'd ever read, courtesy of its availability at my local library...but, nah, still a mess) artwork only slightly above the average newspaper comic. Amusing villain in the last story channeling Kiss's Gene Simmons circa 1975 one of the very few memorable images.

3 Stars giving this one the benefit of the doubt, and in hopes the upcoming movie
Ada
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful design and a feast of creativity.

On The Frontiers is a bit awkward and slow paced, but the design is worth it. Living Weapons is definitely less awkward and while still a bit slow the storyline is entering. However, The Circles of Power is definitely a thumbs up. The characters flow, the dialogue flows, the story is entertaining , the universe is marvelous and the art is extraordinary.
Aubrey
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
While I want to be a comic lover, I’m really picky. I didn’t love this. Too sexist perhaps? I mean, it is a product of its time.

That being said, I’m so glad to have read it and explored the art that inspired one of my favorite film makers, Luc Besson. The last piece of the “trilogy” is set on a planet with flying cars, and it’s amazing to see how the images wormed their way into Besson’s head in The Fifth Element, one of the best sci-fi films ever.

Meh. Unless you like Luc Besson, or Star Wars.
Ron
Considering its vintage, this holds up better than I expected, although the translation seems more modern. The artwork is fantastic. Fans of STAR WARS and FIFTH ELEMENT can easily see the influence this has had. Elements from the recent film are there, although minor and scattered. Still, a worthwhile introduction to this highly regarded series.
Linden
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a real fan of graphic novels or most science fiction so my opinion doesn't really count. I found it difficult to follow. I just wanted to get a familiarity with the characters before the movie came out.
Joek
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading the first Valerian book as a teenager in the 1970s. It was great then. Reading these later stories now, I find them too jumpy and the kind of Star Wars sci-fi I don't enjoy anymore. 2 stars for the story, but an extra star for the amazing graphics. Beautifully drawn books.
Christopher
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Travelling Hijinks! :D Brilliant Review to Come! :
Andrew
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, for mature audiences. The French simply don’t care for modesty. However the stories are engaging again, and have some interesting political commentary that’s surprisingly modern still.
Ryan McArthur
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Um did t like it as much as I thought I would, it's very old school French/Belgian style sci-fi comic.
Grace Skinner
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, amazing! Do I need to say anything more?? I think not.
Garrett
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valerian and Laureline sure do get into some hi-jinx. Especially now that they're poor and planetless. Man, I love these comics...
Veronica
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finlay
These are the first Valerian books that were published without having been serialized in a magazine first, so they're a bit longer than the previous ones, which is nice. And the series is definitely a lot more mature, in the sense that it's grown up and found its feet.

This volume compared to the last goes back to some swashbuckling tales, and one with flying taxis that definitely, 100% inspired The Fifth Element (as if I needed it, this is confirmed in the article at the front of the book that's
Eva Therese
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of sci-fi and spy thrillers, who wants to save time by combining the two genres.
After the past they had been a part of has been erased, Linda and Valentin are no longer agent in time and space, they a basically just space vagrants. The three stories in this collection all deals with this fact.
First story starts out on an interspace cruise liner, where two aliens have met and fallen in love. Or so we are led to believe. Okay, I'm gonna come right out and say it: It bothers me, how in the rest of the story the female alien is described as noble and great, when she's clearly
Maria
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valérian and Laureline is a series of comic books about time and space traveling agents that was originally published in 1967. It is said to have inspired all manner of science fiction stories, including Star Wars, and having read Saga I can certainly see its influence there as well. I thought the artwork in this collection of adventures was more impressive than the actual stories, which weren't very compelling. In 1967 I'm sure this was remarkably groundbreaking, and I have no doubt that its ...more
Richard Barnes
This is great fun - wonderful art complimenting interesting stories. the shame is that the three stories in this collection are a mere snapshot of the decades worth of adventures that Valerian and Laureline have had.

Eschewing the more testosterone fuelled sci-fi action and violence of American comics, these stories are a little more thoughtful - with our heroes having to think their way out of a few scrapes as opposed to just shooting or punching their way out.

The art is awesome - inspiring The
Mike
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this collection makes the grandiose claim of being the greatest science fiction graphic novel series in the world. Well, it's not terrible, but it's far from the "greatest in the world." The art is very good, very dynamically drawn in a style that at times reminded me of Walt Simonson (a personal favorite). The stories were mediocre, however. I found the characters uninteresting and generally two-dimensional, and the stories lacked tension or drama. Things sort of happened at random ...more
Roan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, entertaining read, with interesting new worlds and excellent artwork to look at along the way! I went into this expecting adventure, not philosophy, and so I was not disappointed. The only problem I had was with the translation, with the occasional bizarre wording and misplaced comma. Still, I can see why the series has been so influential, and I am looking forward to reading some of their other work!
M.i.
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike previous Valerian stories, nothing really stands out for me. The different space races and the adventures they get into, including the terminology is always worth the read but this volume just didn't have the mesmeric quality of the others.
Andre
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La compilation est intéressante. Cependant, bien que l'atmosphère y soit, je commence à trouver les histoires de plus en plus simplistes.
Interesting work on the compilation. The visual and sci-fi feel is there as are the visuals and simplistic stories.
Craig
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique story about a sort of crime fighting duo, on exotic planets.
Well drawn. Interesting concepts and art (apparently the inspiration of a number of classic sci fi movies).
Enjoyable to read about their adventures.
Fraser Sherman
Readable but unremarkable story of galactic agents on various adventures. Collected from a French comic strip.
أحمد
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Silly script. Great artistic imagination.
K
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K by: The Fifth Element special features
Why aren't more of these translated into English? Arg!

• Doomsday Clock Part 1
  • De levens van Jan Six
  • Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist
  • Shortcomings
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Six: The Immortals
  • Our Encounters with Evil: Adventures of Professor J.T. Meinhardt and His Assistant Mr. Knox
  • Frankenstein
  • The Mystery of the Mechanical Corpse
  • Ironheart, Vol. 1: Those With Courage
  • Life Admin: How I Learned to Do Less, Do Better, and Live More
  • The Nobody
  • No Ivy League
  • The Nobodies
  • Invincible Iron Man: The Search for Tony Stark

Valérian - Intégrales (6 books)
  • Valérian et Laureline l'Intégrale, volume 1 (Valérian, #0-2 omnibus)
  • Valerian: The Complete Collection, Volume 2
  • Valérian et Laureline l'Intégrale, volume 4 (Valérian, #9-12 omnibus)
  • Valérian - Intégrales - Tome 6 (Valérian - Intégrales, #6)
  • Valérian et Lauréline l'Intégrale, volume 7 (Valérian, #19-21 omnibus)