Start by marking “Valerian: The New Future Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Valerian: The New Future Trilogy

Valerian: The New Future Trilogy

(Valérian - Intégrales #5)

A collection of stories that features Valerian and his beautiful, sharp-witted and sharp-tongued partner, Laureline. It features adventures set against backgrounds such as: complex architectural inventions, futuristic machines, otherworldly landscapes, and odd-looking aliens.
Published January 1st 2005 by iBooks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Valerian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valerian

Start your review of Valerian: The New Future Trilogy
Debbie Zapata
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019sundaze
When I was living in Mexico I made a twice-yearly bus trip north to visit Mom for a week at a time. I slept a lot during those trips (minimum 26 hours on the road, sometimes longer) but every once in awhile I would be awake for whatever movies were being shown. {It wasn't until the final two trips that the bus came equipped with personal screens so that each passenger could pick their own film to watch. During all the other years we sleepy riders watched whatever the driver had programmed for us ...more
Jeff Raymond
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up solely due to the movie coming out.

The movie looks fascinating, and the French graphic novel series it's based off of is extremely ambitious. As a classic of the genre, the book definitely has an old feel to it and is more than a little jarring to a modern eye, but the meat of the story is there and that's basically what matters in this specific instance.

I think this could probably use a modern refresh, truly, but as a classic of the genre it isn't bad at all, and I wish more
Micah
Outdated politics.
Fucking amazing artwork.
No sense of irony.

It's all there.

Which makes Valerian something of a classic; an ur exemplary french sci-fi comic, with all that entails; better remembered than read. This is the type of bog standard shit the guys at Metal Hurllant would twist into something transgressive and sublime; OG Japanese manga titans would strip mine for tropes and tricks; Lucas, Jodorowsky, and Dan O'Bannon would
Freya
Review to come :)
Dan
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like many out there picking up a Valerian and Lauriline comic, I wanted to get a taste of the original before the big Luc Besson movie comes out this summer. Funnily enough, I'd never heard of Valerian before, and I'd consider myself quite the comic expert/geek.
This volume jumps right into the story, a couple of strange metallic aliens wander around a casino, which then jumps to our main characters - Valerian and Lauriline, ex-spacio-temporal agents now trapped on 20th century Earth. There are
Óscar López
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume collects three albums: “On the Frontiers” is a nice adventure with a fantastic intro sequence on a star cruiser, but with most of the action happening on Earth. “The Living Weapons” deals with super-powered beings reluctantly used as weapons on a far planet, and is the weakest album on the book. Finally, “The Circles of Power” is a quest for power on the corrupt Rubanis, with a twist reminiscent of “The Wizard of Oz” – and it also has the strongest narrative of the three.

The stories
Shanna
Once I saw the preview for this movie come out, I just knew I had to find the comic in my library. This is the only volume available in my library system, so I had to bend my "read from the beginning" rule.

The comic is quirky, fun, and mostly different than the movie adaptation. Valerian and Laureline seem older in the comic and in this particular collection, go on different adventures than in the movie. Some of the characters that appear in the movie are also featured in this volume.

Overall, I
Darius Ostrowski
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
OK, this one was a bit harder to get through, at least partially because I did not read books 9-12. But even without that gap, the first two stories in this collection were pretty difficult to follow, the third story was pretty good, classic Valerian.

"On the Frontiers" is the first story, basically set in our time during the cold war, with a lost time space agent and some weird troubles. "The Living Weapons" have our heroes join a traveling caravan of performers who get caught in a never-ending
The Angry Lawn Gnome
As much as I wanted to be impressed by this, well, I really was not, sadly. Incomprehensible plot (possibly because this was the first book in this series I'd ever read, courtesy of its availability at my local library...but, nah, still a mess) artwork only slightly above the average newspaper comic. Amusing villain in the last story channeling Kiss's Gene Simmons circa 1975 one of the very few memorable images.

3 Stars giving this one the benefit of the doubt, and in hopes the upcoming movie bei
Johnathon
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another superb collection of stories that finds Valerian and Laureline essentially out of a job with the Galaxity being destroyed and just trying to make ends meet in the universe. Christin finds some fun new directions for our heroes, as they still try to do the right thing, even if it is no longer their job. Jean-Claude Mezieres art is equally exciting, delivering a nice mix of science fiction settings and the aliens to go with. A truly unique science fiction comic that everyone should try.
Aubrey
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
While I want to be a comic lover, I’m really picky. I didn’t love this. Too sexist perhaps? I mean, it is a product of its time.

That being said, I’m so glad to have read it and explored the art that inspired one of my favorite film makers, Luc Besson. The last piece of the “trilogy” is set on a planet with flying cars, and it’s amazing to see how the images wormed their way into Besson’s head in The Fifth Element, one of the best sci-fi films ever.

Meh. Unless you like Luc Besson, or Star Wars.
Ada
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful design and a feast of creativity.

On The Frontiers is a bit awkward and slow paced, but the design is worth it. Living Weapons is definitely less awkward and while still a bit slow the storyline is entering. However, The Circles of Power is definitely a thumbs up. The characters flow, the dialogue flows, the story is entertaining , the universe is marvelous and the art is extraordinary.
Ron
Considering its vintage, this holds up better than I expected, although the translation seems more modern. The artwork is fantastic. Fans of STAR WARS and FIFTH ELEMENT can easily see the influence this has had. Elements from the recent film are there, although minor and scattered. Still, a worthwhile introduction to this highly regarded series.
Linden
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a real fan of graphic novels or most science fiction so my opinion doesn't really count. I found it difficult to follow. I just wanted to get a familiarity with the characters before the movie came out. ...more
Joek
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading the first Valerian book as a teenager in the 1970s. It was great then. Reading these later stories now, I find them too jumpy and the kind of Star Wars sci-fi I don't enjoy anymore. 2 stars for the story, but an extra star for the amazing graphics. Beautifully drawn books. ...more
Ryan McArthur
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Um did t like it as much as I thought I would, it's very old school French/Belgian style sci-fi comic. ...more
Garrett
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valerian and Laureline sure do get into some hi-jinx. Especially now that they're poor and planetless. Man, I love these comics... ...more
Christopher
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Travelling Hijinks! :D Brilliant Review to Come! :
Andrew
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, for mature audiences. The French simply don’t care for modesty. However the stories are engaging again, and have some interesting political commentary that’s surprisingly modern still.
Grace Skinner
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, amazing! Do I need to say anything more?? I think not.
Gary Varga
It feels to have lost the commentary on its contemporary society. Which is a shame as that was the basis of much of its wit. A reasonable read none-the-less.
Veronica
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finlay
These are the first Valerian books that were published without having been serialized in a magazine first, so they're a bit longer than the previous ones, which is nice. And the series is definitely a lot more mature, in the sense that it's grown up and found its feet.

This volume compared to the last goes back to some swashbuckling tales, and one with flying taxis that definitely, 100% inspired The Fifth Element (as if I needed it, this is confirmed in the article at the front of the book that's
Eva Therese
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of sci-fi and spy thrillers, who wants to save time by combining the two genres.
After the past they had been a part of has been erased, Linda and Valentin are no longer agent in time and space, they a basically just space vagrants. The three stories in this collection all deals with this fact.
First story starts out on an interspace cruise liner, where two aliens have met and fallen in love. Or so we are led to believe. Okay, I'm gonna come right out and say it: It bothers me, how in the rest of the story the female alien is described as noble and great, when she's clearly s
Maria
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valérian and Laureline is a series of comic books about time and space traveling agents that was originally published in 1967. It is said to have inspired all manner of science fiction stories, including Star Wars, and having read Saga I can certainly see its influence there as well. I thought the artwork in this collection of adventures was more impressive than the actual stories, which weren't very compelling. In 1967 I'm sure this was remarkably groundbreaking, and I have no doubt that its in ...more
Richard Barnes
This is great fun - wonderful art complimenting interesting stories. the shame is that the three stories in this collection are a mere snapshot of the decades worth of adventures that Valerian and Laureline have had.

Eschewing the more testosterone fuelled sci-fi action and violence of American comics, these stories are a little more thoughtful - with our heroes having to think their way out of a few scrapes as opposed to just shooting or punching their way out.

The art is awesome - inspiring The
Mike
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this collection makes the grandiose claim of being the greatest science fiction graphic novel series in the world. Well, it's not terrible, but it's far from the "greatest in the world." The art is very good, very dynamically drawn in a style that at times reminded me of Walt Simonson (a personal favorite). The stories were mediocre, however. I found the characters uninteresting and generally two-dimensional, and the stories lacked tension or drama. Things sort of happened at random ...more
Roan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, entertaining read, with interesting new worlds and excellent artwork to look at along the way! I went into this expecting adventure, not philosophy, and so I was not disappointed. The only problem I had was with the translation, with the occasional bizarre wording and misplaced comma. Still, I can see why the series has been so influential, and I am looking forward to reading some of their other work!
Andre
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La compilation est intéressante. Cependant, bien que l'atmosphère y soit, je commence à trouver les histoires de plus en plus simplistes.
Interesting work on the compilation. The visual and sci-fi feel is there as are the visuals and simplistic stories.
Craig
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique story about a sort of crime fighting duo, on exotic planets.
Well drawn. Interesting concepts and art (apparently the inspiration of a number of classic sci fi movies).
Enjoyable to read about their adventures.

• Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)
  • The Problem with Men: When is International Men’s Day? (And Why it Matters)
  • El asesino hipocondríaco
  • The Man Who Didn't Fly
  • Exploring the Land of Lincoln: The Essential Guide to Illinois Historic Sites
  • Bolla
  • Shah of Shahs
  • How to Be Ace: A Memoir of Growing Up Asexual
  • The Kaiser's Web (Cotton Malone, #16)
  • A Fatal Lie (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #23)
  • Extraction (Pendergast, #12.5)
  • CIA 101: A Crash Course in Agency Case Officers
  • The Pandora Room (Ben Walker, #2)
  • The Complete Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Volume 1
  • Fangs
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 2
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Volume 1
  • Unicorn: The Memoir of a Muslim Drag Queen

Valérian - Intégrales (7 books)
  • Valerian: The Complete Collection, Volume 1
  • Valerian: The Complete Collection, Volume 2
  • Valerian: The Complete Collection, Volume 3
  • Valérian et Laureline l'Intégrale, volume 4 (Valérian, #9-12 omnibus)
  • Rejser i tid og rum, Linda og Valentins Samlede Eventyr 6, (Valérian, #16-18)
  • Valérian et Lauréline l'Intégrale, volume 7 (Valérian, #19-21 omnibus)

News & Interviews