Start by marking “You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers” as Want to Read:
You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers

You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers

Chock-full of the wisdom, wit, and whimsy that have made Mister Rogers a beloved friend to so many, this Miniature Edition is the perfect gift for any graduate -- or a nostalgic homecoming for anyone who's ever "visited" the Neighborhood. ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Running Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about You Are Special, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Special

Start your review of You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers
Sara
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is like parenting vitamin C.
Joan
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
It is quotes from Mr. Rogers. If you watched him as a kid, then you already know most of what he says in this book. If you haven't watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Get over to YouTube and watch at least one episode! This book is meant primarily for adults who are parents and/or caretakers of young kids. So with that emphasis, there are a few quotes that you might not know from watching the program. One (of many) that I believe is actually from the program is a comment to the effect that he ...more
Jasmine
I adored certain passages of this book. I would have enjoyed the whole thing more if I was currently a parent. If I ever become one I would love to read this again because of the calm wisdom. I still marked down a healthy amount of quotes.
Lisa
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying reading the wise thoughts and actions of Mister Rogers. What a sweet, tender soul. I wish I could have read this over and over when my kids were small. It does still help on how to deal with others now.

Some of my favorite take aways are:

Strengthen a parent and you strengthen a child

Children need structure. It makes they feel safe.

Keep a journal and pen nearby to write down and think about some of his mighty insights.
Kris
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This entire book could be highlighted if you are looking for inspiration and joy and love. Mister Rogers reminds me of the kind of person I want to be. Also, he reads the audio version, which brings joy in and of itself,
Diana Lampe
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful quotes to live by. Reading this book was excellent therapy.
Desiree Sotomayor
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading the sections on the relationship between childcare providers & parents, and also growing as an adult.
Geri
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I grew up watching Mr. Rogers and was so glad that my daughter got a chance to watch the show, too.
At the beginning of the audio book, the tinkling of the piano keys in a familiar tune brought a lump to my throat, then Mr. Rogers started narrating. For the next hour and a half, I was alternating between being an adult listening to a book and being a child watching my favorite TV show.
The content of the book itself is a guide for parents when it comes to raising children that
Katie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A wonderful little book full of wisdom from Fred Rogers.

For full review: https://katiegreviews.wordpress.com/2...
Christina
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book of quotes is a like a box of jelly beans. It is too sweet to be consumed in one sitting. There are a lot of sweet quotes in here, and the lyrics to some of Mr. Roger's popular songs for kids. This would make a wonderful gift to an expecting couple or young parents. There is a lot of wisdom here about feelings, creativity, love and learning from a man who dedicated his life to children. I had several "a-ha" moments reading this book and marked quite a few of these quotes as important to ...more
Shara Vitone
I enjoyed hearing this audio version of the book in Mr. Roger's own voice. He is one of my favorite childhood television personalities. Fred Rogers gives insights in life from the viewpoint of being a child through growing up and becoming a happy and well adjusted adult.
Carol
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful little book. Had the chance to here Speedy Deliveryman Mr McFeeley speak at a conference in 2007. He shared this wonderful book with us. Quotes from Mr Rogers to live by.
"I really think that everybody, every day, should be able to feel some success."
Charming.
Aimee
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook. Loved it. Overview of the importance of how we treat children. wonderful book. True for adults as well.
Carolyn Page
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*tears* Mr. Rogers is the best. Little bits and pieces of niceness put together in a book to make you feel better and give you an idea of what to do.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pc, released, read-in-2005
It's another one of those mini books. This one came in a gift bag. Fred Rogers just isn't my cup of tea.
Sasha
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents, educators, anyone who interacts with children regularly
A sweet compilation of quotes by Mr. Rogers on children, parents, and the nature of growth. I found few quotes relatable (as I have no kids), but it was a nice, light-hearted read.
Charity
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the quotations in this book, the following one is the one I'll keep closest to my heart because it makes me think of how much of a difference it makes to work in a community where people listen to one another versus what it feels like when that's not the case:

I feel I've been greatly blessed by many people I've been able to meet and come to know. Sure, I've worked hard. You don't choose a job in communications and expect not to work hard. But you can expect that you don't have to do it
Johannes
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't able to articulate this as a child, but I suspect one thing I liked about "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" when I was little (because I like it still as an adult) was the juxtaposition of Fred's gentle, measured speech with Johnny Costa's quick rhythms and unpredictable melodies on the piano. Johnny Costa was the music director for the show and a phenomenally talented jazz pianist to whom I still listen. In this little book, Rogers reveals the wells of his own thoughtful genius quoting the ...more
Melinda
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There's something nostalgic for me to hear Mr. Rogers' voice -in this short book, his soothing, calming tones relate good sensible advice on raising strong, loved children, while reciting the lyrics to his popular tunes, the very reasons I loved watching his program when I was little. It was interesting to get glimpses into his early childhood education background, his beginnings in children's television production as well as the ministry. With all of his sound suggestions and his great love of ...more
Katherine Cable
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not quite what I was expecting, I've been an admirer of Fred Rogers for many years, and the quotes and tidbits of wisdom in the book are just what's needed sometimes. It doesn't take a long time to read, and it's something that I can keep coming back to again and again.

There is a great deal on parenting and talking with children in the book, and while my wife and I are child-free, it's still applicable in other parts of life.

All in all, it's an inspiring read, and one that I'll keep
Book2Dragon
We all yearn to hear this, especially from our parents, also from our teachers, and from the people that we look up to as children. Actually, all adults long to hear this as well.
Mr. Fred Rogers knows what is in our hearts and gave his life to trying to salve the wounds, nourish the flowers, and help us to become.
I feel sorry for generations who did not or will not grow up with Mr Rogers' Neighborhood. Perhaps they will read his books and take up the quest.
Jessica Friday
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The version I read (audiobook read by Rogers himself) was You Are Special: Words of Wisdom from America’s Most Beloved Neighbor. There may be differences, not sure. If you can grab that version, do so. It contains some staggering wisdom on the act of loving others as well some observations on the education process that unschoolers are sure to appreciate. Not to mention constant inspiration to follow the Golden Rule.
Jen
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with wonderful parenting advice! Actually much of it is applicable to other relationships. It does not flow from topic to topic, but is short and sweet giving only a few sentences of wisdom on each topic. There are only a few areas that have greater explanation. Fred Rogers reads it himself in the voice so familiar to all who grew up watching his program.
Steph
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world needs to read this no matter who you are (although the quotes are specifically for parents and teachers.) So much love, advice, perspective, as well as educational philosophies are included within. He is a rare gem of a human being and is very much needed in these times. That said, at least his words are well documented. Very worthwhile!
Ellie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, so much of my parenting comes from Mister Rogers. My son is two and it's such a difficult age. Everything is still so new, he's learning about limits and how the world works. It's such a difficult time, which is why it was perfect timing to read this book. I needed a refresher course of Mister Rogers calm and caring philosophy.
Adriane (Ordinary Reader)
3.5
Quote from Mister Rogers and his thoughts behind them. Even though I’m all grown up, he still has a way of making me feel special, and reminding me to do the same for my own children/ R.I.P. Mister Rogers.
Matthew O'Neil
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was in a bad spot when I started this book. It was recommended as a means of relaxing and unwinding, all while hearing about the gifts and uniqueness each of us have. I needed it. I miss Mr. Rogers and wish we had someone like him out there today.
Chris
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a book with any kind of a story/plot. This is basically a collection of wisdom accumulated through Mr. Rogers' life. You can go through it as fast or slow as you want. There are some good things in here, but nothing really Earth shattering to me.
Kacie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
4.5+ stars. Listened to the audio version (available on Scribd) and couldn't speed it up too much because listening to Mister Rogers speak is a balm for the soul. His insights are so true, and he is so gentle.
David
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably I will never be a father (a shame, I always wanted to be one since I was 12 yers old) but that doesn't mean I can put my effort taking care of all the people who is at hand in my relations spectrum.

Children ARE awesome.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers
  • The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor
  • The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure
  • Armitage's Garden Perennials: A Color Encyclopedia
  • The Organic Composting Handbook: Techniques for a Healthy, Abundant Garden
  • Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Storey's Down-to-Earth Guides)
  • No Place
  • A Town Divided by Christmas
  • My Lost Family
  • Pretty Paper
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.
“Everyone longs to be loved. And the greatest thing we can do is to let people know that they are loved and capable of loving.” 62 likes
“As human beings, our job in life is to help people realize how rare and valuable each one of us really is, that each of us has something that no one else has- or ever will have- something inside that is unique to all time. It's our job to encourage each other to discover that uniqueness and to provide ways of developing its expression.” 49 likes