Start by marking “A Date You Can't Refuse” as Want to Read:
A Date You Can't Refuse

A Date You Can't Refuse (Wollie Shelley Mystery #4)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  530 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Serial dater and greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley goes undercover in a media-training company suspected of video piracy, but when a dead body appears on the company’s property, she’s caught up in a conspiracy that goes way beyond some stolen DVDs.

Wollie Shelley isn’t happy about taking the job as a “social coach” at MediaRex, but the FBI makes her an offer she can’t ref
Published April 21st 2009 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Date You Can't Refuse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Date You Can't Refuse

Lisa
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kozak's books are always fun with interesting characters, and I do mean characters. Sure there are dead bodies and tension but things never get too dark.
Katie
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun finale to this small series of mysteries. They were definitely more on the frivolous side, but I enjoyed the heroine so much and found her so relatable, I just had to keep picking up the next book in line.
Lorie
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great vacation read. This is a fun, humorous series about a greeting card designer in Hollywood who gets herself into lots of predicaments with her pseudo detective work. If you like Janet Evanovich, try this series.
Suzanne
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite so far of the Wollie mysteries. A cast of strange characters from Eastern Europe and several subplots keep the story lively.
Re
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2011
Fantastic ! The BEST yet ! I've enjoyed all four of her books, and leading up to this one - - what a surprise !! GREAT fun read !!!
Sharon
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A fun, lighthearted read. I'll be reading more Wollie Shelley mysteries.
Laurie
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, mystery
I love this series. I hope this isn't the last one!
Lisa
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't wait for this one to be released. It telegraphed a bit more than the other two books with a nice, neat little twist on the end.
Ann
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have absolutely loved this mystery series and am sad she is done writing about Wollie and her antics. Smart and funny! Now if I could find my own Simon!
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
I enjoyed the characters in this book. I like Wollie a lot but I really liked Yuri and the group of people she was working with. And the murderer surprised me. I didn't want it to be any of them.
Tori
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PLEASE tell me there's another one after this! Loved it!!
~Tori
Ms
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-laugh
As great as the first three, which is rare.
Jeanette
I have finally finished this book. I don't like audio books. It took me two years to finish it. I enjoyed the story and I'm glad that I finished it.
Lynda Koenig
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favorite so far in the series.
Karen Parker
Interesting and different, but too long & also a bit improbable for what the heroine managed to accomplish. I do love a happy ending, but overall I was glad to finally reach the end.
David Kubicek
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Date You Can’t Refuse is the fourth installment of Harley Jane Kozak’s mysteries involving Wollie Shelley, who is described on the back cover copy as a “serial dater,” presumably because she often ends up dating Mr. Wrong.

Writing is a second career for Kozak, who grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska. Her first career is in acting. Born Susan Jane Kozak she took her stage name from the motorcycle and began her career on a soap opera and eventually appeared in such A-list movies as Arachnophobia and Par
Imjussayin
A Date You Can't Refuse is the final book in the Wollie Shelley series. It is a stand alone but please read the other books first, or this one will put you off the series.

Our protagonist Wollie, after jury service, is offered a job by the acquitted defendant, Yuri Milos, an eastern European. The reason she accepts is the FBI! They blackmail her into taking the job so she could spy on Yuri for them. Her co-operation guarantees her schizophrenic brother a place at the federally subsidised halfway
Coral
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this author's writing style, her quirky humour and heroine Wollie. Read the books in order.
Extract:
"Since you don't yet have a contract for this comic book project, it's not income-producing. Nor is your greeting card business giving you a living wage."
"Yes, thank you for pointing that out."
"You need a job. Have you any other prospects?"
"No. Work for some Belarusian entrepreneur with three wives and become a secret agent for you. That's it."
"Cooperating witness."
"Yes. CW," I said. "That's
Jill Bratcher
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harley
The fourth installment of series featuring Wollie Shelley, off-beat greeting card designer left me angry with Harley Jane Kozak! You know it must be good when the reader gets that emotionally involved, right?

I was mad because I knew there wasn't another Wollie book forthcoming I the near future because I read that Harley is writing an international political thriller at the moment. And she left us (and Wollie)hanging!

This time out, we find Wollie sort of living with G-man Simon in his extravaga
Heather
A Date You Can't Refuse is the fourth book in the series about greeting card entrepreneur, Wollie Shelley. Although this can be a stand-alone book, I recommend reading the other three first just to get the background, and because they're pretty good. This one was by far my favorite of the series so far.
Wollie takes a job as a "social coach" for up-and-coming stars from other countries, although she's actually cooperating with the FBI spying on the agency she works for. She soon realizes that the
Jessica
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A Date you Can't Refuse is about a graphic artist named Wollie Shelley who is innocently serving jury duty when she gets recruited into a questionable business opportunity. Yuri Milos is the head of this operation and is quite insistent that Wollie be the one he hire. Meanwhile the FBI is requesting that she work for them as a cooperating witness so they may find out more about this questionable business. Let me start by saying that I'm not a big mystery fan but decided to pick up this book base ...more
Marlyn
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The fourth Wollie Shelley mystery finds our heroine taking a job as a spy. No, really.
It all begins with jury duty. After the trial, the defendant offers Wollie a job as a "social coach" for foreign celebrities. Although she feels uncomfortable with the whole concept, she accepts because the salary is exceptional and she needs the money. Then an FBI colleague of Simon's asks her to spy on her new employer, and she can't think of a way to say "no".

When she finds out that the previous "social coac
Amber
An interesting selection by my book club this month. I'd never heard of the author/series beforehand, so I went into this with no expectations. All in all, it was a fun, light, easy read. No heavy thinking required. The characters are well-defined and unique, which I enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the plot, though - the lead character seems to happen into peculiar situations as opposed to being an actual sleuth. Like, when someone writes a message in Russian in your lip pencil on a mirror, don't you ru ...more
Susan
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, I feel guilty about how I rate the books in this series, but they are very funny. Greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley isn’t happy about taking a job as a “social coach” at a media-training company run by a suspicious group of Eastern Europeans, but the FBI makes her an offer she can’t refuse. So she agrees to go undercover teaching foreign celebrities American dating customs. However, when a dead body is found on the company’s property, she’s caught up in a conspiracy that takes her en ...more
Nikki
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harley Jane Kozak's Wollie Shelley series keeps getting better and better. A DATE YOU CAN'T REFUSE, the latest installment in the dating adventures of greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley, is the best yet. The humor and Tinseltown atmosphere are still there, but Kozak has added elements of espionage, a little Ludlumesque paranoia, and further developments in Wollie's personal life. This was a true page-turner for me and I devoutly hope we haven't really seen Wollie ride off into the sunset, as su ...more
Denise
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book in the series. I enjoyed it so much that I'm disappointed it's the last one. Wollie gets herself involved with some funny characters in this story, and the ending came as a complete surprise to me.
Rebecca
Book four of Wollie's story. As usual, Wollie is in way over her head and manages to surprise everyone with her tenacity!

This time she is a coach to foreign stars and the heavyweight boxer is my favorite...although he ends up unconscious alot of the time thanks to Wollie. That's my girl. The mystery is top notch and kept me guessing the whole way through. The tie up with Wollie and Simon is the only thing I wasn't keen on...felt forced. But a minor blip on this great series.

Fans of Stephanie Pl
Julia
Wollie Shelley, fresh from jury duty, is approached by the defendant for a job as a social coach to help with media relations for Eastern Eurpeans new to the US. Yuri Milos is very convincing about the help she can provide to the people of MediasRex, and the pay's not too bad either. Turns out Yuri is being watched by the FBI, and she's also approached by them, to help in their investigation of MediasRex by being their man on the inside. Wollie agrees, and the story meanders into a couple differ ...more
Jessica
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Picked this up of the mystery table at the library. It was a fun idea: girl who is desperate for a job is asked to help famous immigrants transition into American society by being a "date" for them. She is also asked by the FBI to spy on her employers. I liked the main character but felt like the whole book was spent driving around the city, and losing people. Overall there were no plot twists and turns and it was a disappointment.
Susan
Mild mannered greeting card designer Wollie Shelley doesn't want to accept a job offered to her by charismatic East European Yuri, but the FBI blackmails her into it. Now, in addition to keeping her romance with FBI undercover agent Simon under wraps, she also has to keep Simon in the dark about her job. And why is Yuri's large, complex family under investigation anyway--Wollie doesn't think they're doing anything wrong. Until she finds out what they are doing...
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • No Biz Like Showbiz (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #4)
  • Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Dying for a Daiquiri (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #3)
  • Delayed Death (Temptation in Florence #1)
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • Lucky Stiff (Lucky O'Toole, #2)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Curse of the Kissing Cousins (Where are They Now?, #1)
  • Double Whammy (Davis Way Crime Caper, #1)
  • Prime Time
  • Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
  • Murder & Mayhem in Goose Pimple Junction (Goose Pimple Junction #1)
  • On Assignment (Queenie Baby, #1)
  • And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2)
  • Paint Me Gone (Gen Delacourt Mystery #3)
Harley Jane Kozak is an American actress and author. She was born Susan Jane Kozak in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Dorothy (Taraldsen), a university music teacher, and Joseph Aloysius Kozak, an attorney. She was raised in Nebraska and attended New York University.

Kozak has written four novels: Dating Dead Men (2004), Dating Is Murder : A Novel (2005), Dead Ex (2007), and A Date You
More about Harley Jane Kozak

Wollie Shelley Mystery (4 books)
  • Dating Dead Men