Start by marking “Rain” as Want to Read:
Rain

Rain

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  303 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In this, his first volume of original verse since the award-winning Landing Light, Don Paterson is found writing at his most memorable and direct. In an assembly of masterful lyrics and monologues, he conjures a series of fables and charms that serve both to expose us to the unsettling forces within the world and simultaneously offer some protection against them. Whether o ...more
Published September 3rd 2009 by Faber Faber (first published March 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

Philippe
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, poetry
Paterson is at his most mellow and accessible here. Nevertheless, no chit chat or beatific love poetry in this collection. Rain is patterned with grand philosophical questions. The feeling of cosmic forlornness that pervades the earlier work is there. The poet makes grim fun of our human hubris, the risible failings of our cognitive faculties and our delusional desire for control over a nature that does quite well without this meddlesome human species, thank you. One of the poems I love to revis ...more
Terry
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: makaris
I loved Don Paterson's earlier collection, Landing Light, when I first heard him read in 2005. So I was eager to dive into this latest volume of poems in forms that range from sonnet to haiku, poems in Scots dialect, and poems adapted from Spanish, French and Chinese (among others). Here, again, are the pliable rhythms and the searing intellect I've learned to expect from Paterson, this time in a darker key. This volume is loaded with elegy and metaphysical anxiety in the tradition of Larkin's " ...more
Rob the Obscure
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didn't like ALL of these poems. But I liked most of them, and some of them just left me arrested.

Paterson still uses rhyme, still uses form, much in a somewhat traditional way. But he is using it to express feelings and insights that are brutally honest.

Please read this. The poem "Rain" finishes the book, and the finish to the poem is simply brilliant.

"Phantom", about his friend Michael D., is simply stunning.

Please read.
John Pappas
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Zen Larkin. A formalist with a bit of a ladish streak. Sometimes very beautiful.
Tristan
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Actual rating 2.5 (rounded down out of frustration)

This is the second book in as many weeks that I seriously considered giving gave fewer than three stars to. I was going to settle on three stars because I did like the poem "The Lie", or--perhaps more accurately--found there to be something interesting in the poem "The Lie". This poem took a really interesting topic as its center, showing the speaker sneaking about "to make sure that everything was in order with The Lie", a being that lives in h
Mark Foulkes
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is no doubt this is a great collection of poems. It deals with the big questions about existence, the human condition and the difficulties with perception. Despite its philosophical range the poems still maintain warmth and humour and a human scale.
My two favourite pieces in the book are the poem 'The Bathysphere'..which conjures up the idea of a man who buys a second-hand (and as it turns out, very well-used) underwater craft and sits in it for two years on dry land, and 'Song For Natalie
Rui Carlos da Cunha
Michael Vagnetti
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characteristics of this book, that, in mentioning, I second: end-rhymes (Paterson is far more regular at this); combination of standard captitalization/punctuation and none; narrative poems; subjective personae; theme (multiple poems about rain, and a concept of rain); poems about concept of mind. He breaks out of form in "Song for Natalie 'Tusja' Beridze,' and a series of loose renku. There are also translations.
g026r
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2012
A bit too fond of platitude, and a bit too formalist in structure (particularly with regards rhyme scheme, where he shows a strong love of rhyming couplets that most frequently works, in my opinion, to the poems' detriment). A handful of enjoyable works, but overall not to my taste.

And, as a computer person, the Forward Prize-winning "Love Poem for Natalie 'Tusja' Beridze" was simply painful.
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once I figured out who Michael Donaghy was, much more of this book opened up for me. I was reminded of Lovecraft, of Frost, of Yeats, Muldoon, Heaney...and none of them. Paterson just does it. He puts his eye to the window and does not blink at the darkness. He opens the bathysphere and does not drown in the shadows, or the inevitable rising. I wonder if he will rust.
Matt
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

really wonderful, quizzical, graceful, dark but with a light touch...

unlike much other modern poetry I've read but in a very original way...

If you're looking for a new European (Scottish) poet to discover, you could do much, much worse than to spend an afternoon reading him (it won't be just an afternoon, either)
Gunita Zaube
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Some excellent poems, emotional and philosophical. It's a joy to read them.

My favourite poems in this collection - "The Story of the Blue Flower", "Why do you stay up so late?", "Sky Song" and "The Landscape".

Minna
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some real absolute gems in here, favourites even, but not a complete love.
Jay Latarche
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Favourite was 'The Day'
Kate Dempsey
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read this again after seeing him at Poetry Now Festival. Lovely, clever perfectly worded poems.
Steven
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good imagery! Little boring and very short book but not bad
J.S. Watts
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Rain is an interesting poetry collection, but I didn’t connect with it the way I connected with Landing Light. I read Rain because I liked Patterson’s Landing Light so much. Unfortunately, for me, Rain was something of an anti-climax.

It is a collection of lyric poems and monologues, most of them traditionally rhythmic and rhyming, which summon up charms, fables and memories with which to explore the world. Because I draw on fable, myth and memory in my own writing, I was doubly attracted to the
Brendan
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Oh my goodness, it's as if it has literally never occurred to Don Paterson that rhyming is optional, or as if he lives in a weird parallel universe where Eliot, Auden, Dylan Thomas, and Ted Hughes never existed, and John Betjeman is considered good. Not that I mind rhymes in modern poetry -- my favorite poet is Philip Larkin, after all -- but it needs to be done better than this end-stopped doggerel.

I'm being harsh. To be sure, there are some memorable poems in this book -- "The Lie," for instan
Brian
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the poems in this collection use a variety of regular rhyming schemes, which is refreshing from a modern/post-modern poet. His non-rhyming work is excellent, too, though, as in:
"When they ask me what I saw, they all expect/ some blissed-out excuse for my not saying,/ but I know what I saw: I saw in everything/ the germ and genius of its own ascent,/ the fire of its increase; I saw the earth/ put forth the trees, like a woman her dark hair;/ I saw the sun's star and the river's river,/ I
M.B.
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some excellent poems. Some too general-platitude-preachy ('we humans are this' 'we humans are that') even though agreed generally with the vision. Favourite poem a version of Cavafy, 'The Bowl-Maker'. Other good poems 'Two Trees', 'The Rain at Sea', 'The Story of the Blue Flower', 'The Wind', 'Phantom' (though 'Phantom' is mixed, a bit absolutist in parts). On the whole enjoyed very much, thought its praise deserved.
Michael Palkowski
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
"Rain", the title piece (which appears at the end of the book)is fantastic. The quality wains occasionally however and the poetic construction seemed lazy at points, such as "had had" in a particular line. The content becomes at times like platitudes or lines that seem stripped of true purpose or content, but snapshots that have unknown relevance to the author himself. Despite this, it's a pleasant read with the odd stroke of brilliance.
!Tæmbuŝu
May 29, 2010 marked it as to-read
Danny Daley
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
It's rare that I find a well received collection that I dislike so much. The structures of the poems are varied, almost as exercises, and yet they all still feel so rigid and dry. In reading other reviews, readers have exposited some of the poems, and I find myself thinking "Where did you see that?" The poems are, for me, relatively lifeless.
UChicagoLaw
"Rain by Don Paterson, a Scottish poet and musician, is an accessible, yet bracingly astringent, book of poems that captures both Patterson’s local cadences and also vocalizes evocatively wider concerns of aging, loss, and grief." - Aziz Z. Huq
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My interest in and enjoyment of these poems rated only about 2 stars, but Paterson is obviously an accomplished poet
and the collection is tight so I gave it three. The poem "The Lie" is worth about four and there are a few other poems that sweetened the collection.
C
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2010
I always get nervous when I don't adore something that was on someone's top 10 list. These read unremarkably, a few pleasant surprises here and there. Plain speech and rhyme, few images. But an endearing earnestness.
Martyn
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
There are some fine poems in this collection, but too often I found myself frustrated by the overly ornate nature of the writing. Too often we see misery, weeping, and writing that just takes itself a little too seriously.

Not one I enjoyed.
EL
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-etc
Meh
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
An enjoyable collection of poetry. 'The Rain at Sea' was one I particularly enjoyed.
Rose Kelleher
  • News of the World
  • Autumn Journal
  • Monologue of a Dog
  • Inseminating the Elephant
Don Paterson, OBE, FRSL, (born 1963) is a Scottish poet, writer and musician.
More about Don Paterson...

“While you spoke, it reached into the room
switching off the mirrors in their frames
and undeveloping your photographs;
it gently drew a knife across the threads
that tied your keepsakes to the things they kept”
5 likes