Start by marking “The Silent Cry (William Monk, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Cry (William Monk, #8)

The Silent Cry

(William Monk #8)

Deep in London's filthy, dangerous slums, Victorians transacted their most secret and shameful business. For a price, a man could procure whatever he wanted, but it happened now and then that the price he paid was his life. Now, in sunless Water Lane, respected solicitor Leighton Duff lies dead, kicked and beaten to death. Beside him lies the barely living body of his son, ...more
Published July 29th 1998 by Ivy Books (first published June 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Cry

Start your review of The Silent Cry (William Monk, #8)
Emma
Good story. Hester seems caught between her two friends, which is an absolute tease for the reader. I have to say that I am finding the written attempt at a rough London accent is getting on my nerves a bit!
Bee
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm really not sure how to rate this book. On the one hand, it was Anne Perry's usual brand of brilliant, engaging writing, but the story itself left me feeling conflicted. I'll get into that in a spoiler soon. One final non-spoilerish note: she sure does write about the seedy things... I can only take so much of that.

(view spoiler)
Hilary
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Anne Perry has yet to disappoint. Multi-layered plots are woven deftly around and with a core cast of characters, and each novel is laden with fascinating and yet tiny details that make the setting incredibly vivid without the reader being overloaded. In this case, she highlights the the poverty of factory workers, especially those women working for a pittance who are sometimes forced to occasionally prostitute themselves to feed their children, and the living conditions they must
Jamie Collins
Another enjoyable Victorian mystery. Monk tries to track down a group of gentlemen who are viciously attacking prostitutes in one of London's worst slums. The ending is typically overwrought, but I continue to enjoy these characters and the setting.

Monk and Hester draw ever closer together.
Sharon
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two well-to-do men, father and son, are set upon in St. Giles -- a rather notorious (and impoverished) part of London. The father is deceased, but police detective Evan discovers that he's still alive and has him taken to the hospital. Evan and his partner, Schott, set about trying to learn who is behind the murder and assault.

Meanwhile, in the Seven Dials, Vida Hopgood has engaged former police inspector William Monk to look into the rapes of some of the women employed by her husband's factory
Laurie
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
JBradford
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I remain absolutely spellbound by Anne Perry's ability to present an involved mystery story set in Victorian England while at the same time providing thought-provoking commentaries both on the social evils of that time (as well as on all times in general) and on the inequalities between the lives of the very wealthy and the lives of the very poor--and also, of course, to continue the evolving romance between the main characters. Granted, it's a rather slow romance; this is #8 in the Inspector ...more
Christine Page
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very dark, a topic that is hard to read so I keep putting the book down until I cannot stand it and pick it up again. Victorian England is dark and depressing full of hopeless people because of the class system. I am glad it is not like that today.
Sierra
It’s official: there will never be an Anne Perry novel that I don’t like. After 9 books of hers, and having nothing negative to say about any of tbem whatsoever, I can’t even begin to fathom it. Of course, it’s entirely possible, but I really, truly can’t imagine not absolutely LOVING everything she’s written.....even though it breaks my heart.

I can never guess it all. I’m not one to guess in the first place, bur I keep thinking since I’ve read so many of her mysteries that I can pick up on her
Alison Stuart
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
In recent years Anne Perry has soared to the best seller lists with her crime novels set in Victorian England. She writes two "series" detective novels, the first and more successful being the "Inspector Pitt" series and the second revolving around the darker more complex character of the policeman turned private investigator William Monk and the nurse Hester Latterley.

"The Silent Cry" is the eighth of the William Monk series and like many of her previous novels both in this series and the Pitt
Correen
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

Perry weaves together two stories of rape, murder, and mayhem while advancing the individual stories of her protagonists and carefully describing the geography of the activity. It is an interesting book but it used a plot line much like the last one I read. In her work, high-minded persons are often set up for a fall and underdogs are lifted, at least in reputation. With that bit of understanding, it was not difficult to determine the likely perpetrators. of course, it would not be a very
Rebecca Huston
Two people are found in the notorious St. Giles neighborhood of London. Leighton Duff is dead, but his young son Rhys is barely clinging onto life. In the Seven Dials, women workers are being raped and savagely beaten, and sweatshop owner Vida Hopgood hires William Monk to find out who has been abusing her workers. Hester Latterly is hired to nurse Rhys back to health. Rhys is the one who holds the clues, but he has been rendered mute by the horrific events he witnessed. This wasn't a book for ...more
LJ
SILENT CRY (Hist Mys/PP-William Monk-England- 1800s) - Ex
Perry, Anne - 8th in series

From Fantastic Fiction: Deep in London's filthy, dangerous slums, Victorians transacted their most secret and shameful business. For a price, a man could procure whatever he wanted, but it happened now and then that the price he paid was his life. Now, in sunless Water Lane, respected solicitor Leighton Duff lies dead, kicked and beaten to death. Beside him lies the barely living body of his son, Rhys. The police
Leona
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took me a couple of tries to get into this book, but that was more me than the author. The only reason I gave this book four stars instead of five is that there was far too much repetition of the evidence. Had the detective truly kept a chronological order of the crimes involved and the whereabouts of all the suspects, the issue wouldn't have been resolved at the very last minute of the trial.
Diane Challenor
I'd forgotten how good the William Monk series is. It's been at least a year since I read the last one. I've read them in order, and am now up to book eight. Can't put it down. The plot is intriguing. The time and place, that is, Britain after the Crimean War, is a placement within history I always enjoy. The pace suits me, not too fast, not too slow, not too edgy. An enjoyable mystery for the reader to unravel by turning the page.
Colin Mitchell
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Rather predictable fare, with Hester nursing a perpetrator but perhaps he is not, William Monk persuing evidence and his past will he find either. Is Oliver Rathbone running out of ideas in court? A fairly reasonable victorian era crime novel.
Charlene
A fantastic story. You will not believe the ending. Anne Perry has a real gift. No swearing or foul language. People seem so real and sincere. Just sit back and be entertained for a few days. It is not a fast read. You must read every word.
Robin Miller
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am surprised that after I have read so many of her books that she brings something new to her characters and story. I am putting the next one onto my reading list.
Kathleen Freeman
I liked how we got to know a little more about Monk's past. I was also happy to see Hester get treated like a lady by Rathborne.
Cathy
This book was somewhere between a three and a four. It was engrossing, but I felt like Anne Perry had already done much of this plot in one of her earlier works, "Defend and Betray." There were some notable differences, however.

I got this book from a used-bookstore. I almost didn't, and passed it by, because I have such ambivalent feelings about Anne Perry's works. In the end, I left my prior stack of books at the cash register and went back for it. The cashier said that she herself loves Anne
Virginia Tican
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At a dark dank alley in the rookery of St. Giles, the Police found the bodies of 2 men badly beaten... and as no weapons were found, they assumed the perpetrators used their fists and feet... one was older and dead and the other, his son, was still alive. At these same dirty alleys, female factory workers sometimes moonlight as amateur prostitutes to augment their meager income to feed their families, and they were the victims of gang rapes as well as beatings. Fearing profit decline because of ...more
Janice Forman
The Silent Cry is the 8th novel in the William Monk series. As with previous stories, Anne Perry exposes the reader to the harsh and often cruel world of Victorian England.

Two seemingly unconnected crimes are revealed — the reader knows they must be connected but how. Two gentlemen, Rhys and Leighton Dunn are found brutally beaten in the slums of St Giles; Leighton is dead and his son Rhys is hanging onto his life, barely. Hester has been hired to help with his convalescence and hopefully
N.W. Moors
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hester Latterly is nursing a young man found badly beaten next to his father's body while Monk is investigating the rapes and beatings of some poor women of St Giles. The two cases intersect in another fascinating Victorian mystery.
I enjoyed the first few books in this series, but I've found them more and more compelling as it moves along. The characters of Monk and Hester are so well defined. Both are learning more about themselves, especially Monk in this book. I always like reading the bits
Susan Pearson
Another interesting read by Anne Perry. The ongoing relationship between Monk and Hester is creeping along slowly. I can't wait for something significant to happen in that directions!!

With regard to the central crime plot, I had my suspicions at various stages who the actual culprits were but there were other possible characters that cast enough doubt that I didn't want to call it until the final chapter.

All the characters are well rounded and I enjoyed the novel, I never had the sensation of
Jackie D'andrea
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't read this book because it was a little slow at first but as the characters an story line built up it soon became quite a compelling read. The book really put you back in time and allows the reader to visualize what London was like in the 17th Century. Its a great history lesson on how the class system worked in that era . Great twist at the end so worth the read.
Carol Morter
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book but relied on reader to ignore an obvious fact

I promise not to give away the ending. But I want you to think of a nurses role when caring for a man who is unable to go to bathroom for himself because his hands are bandaged and he is too weak to get out of bed. Someone had to help him or the man never went to the bathroom!
Sue
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have just read all 22 of Anne Perry's William Monk series non-stop over the past 5 months and loved every minute of them. I have never in my life before read an entire series back to back and even when I've previously read a trilogy I've had to stop for a breather part-way through. They are so well written and introduce all sorts of historical events and social issues of the time (1850s & 60s).
C.E. DeJoria
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical mystery

I have read many of Anne Perry's series with Charlotte Pitt. The former policeman, Monk, is a much more flawed and confused character than the policeman Pitt. Hester is stubborn, strong and loyal just like Charlotte. Memorable characters, vivid settings and a confounding mystery. Great reading!
Kathie Brooks
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a forever fan of Anne Perry! I reserve five stars for exceptional books but her plots are amazing and the background information on 19th century England is very very thorough and very interesting! Frankly, I would class her as a five star author!
Mahendra Palsule
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Everything is great as usual, the period atmosphere recreation, strong characterization with great depth, realistic portrayals, and beautiful prose, except for the plot, which is a bit too thin to sustain a novel length story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery, #11)
  • Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr, #13)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • Murder on Sisters' Row (Gaslight Mystery, #13)
  • Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #4)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #6)
  • Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • A Pale Horse (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #10)
  • Murder in Chelsea (Gaslight Mystery, #15)
  • Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry," the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several categories of genre fiction, including historical murder mysteries and detective fiction. Many of them feature a number of

William Monk (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1)
  • A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2)
  • Defend and Betray (William Monk, #3)
  • A Sudden, Fearful Death (William Monk, #4)
  • The Sins of the Wolf (William Monk, #5)
  • Cain His Brother (William Monk, #6)
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • A Breach of Promise (William Monk, #9)
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
  • Slaves of Obsession (William Monk, #11)
“There were parts of Monk she admired greatly: his courage; his strength of will; his intelligence; his loyalty to his beliefs; his passion for justice; his ability to face almost any kind of truth, no matter how dreadful; and the fact that he was never, ever, a hypocrite.” 1 likes
“I believe in an individual soul which travels through eternity. This life is far from all there is--in fact, it is a minute part, simply an antechamber, a deciding place where we choose the light from the dark, where we come to know what we truly value.” 1 likes