Start by marking “Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)” as Want to Read:
Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)

Magi'i of Cyador

(The Saga of Recluce #10)

L. E. Modesitt, Jr., is one of the standard setters in fantasy today, and his most famous series is the Saga of Recluce. Each novel fills in pieces of the history of this land where Chaos and Order strive to maintain a magical balance.

Magi'i of Cyador marks the beginning of a new tale from deep within the rich depths of the history of Recluce. This is the story of Lorn, a
Published May 15th 2001 by Tor Books (first published April 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Magi'i of Cyador, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magi'i of Cyador

Jim
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of a duology following Lorn, the son of a Magi family who is too intelligent & questioning to follow the party line completely enough. Great character who thinks ahead & is still forced into too many situations where he has to scramble to stay afloat among the cut throat politics of a dying nation, one founded on technology that is stopping.

As usual, Modesitt does a great job of creating an interesting society full of twisty politics & strict economics. His hero kn
Jim
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
A Chaos based society, although Order workers are part of the society; they're just not as highly thought of since their powers aren't usually as flashy. The hero is Modesitt's standard guy; thoughtful, responsible & with limited, but above average powers. A hero in his understated way. This is one of my favorite books of the series & it's one of my favorite series. IOW, highly recommended.

This is currently the first book in the Recluse series chronologically, although a short story or t
Kathi
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
7/10
This installment in the Saga of Recluce series takes us to what is, for now anyway, the earliest events in the chronology. No Black Order wizards--the Dark Angels have not yet fallen from the skies. Still, the Chaos weilders are not only centuries into their time on Candor, but are already beginning to experience the failure of their Chaos storage units, a fact the Emperor and the Magi'i (predecessors of the White Wizards) are trying to keep secret.

This book is devoted to the development and
Bryan Brown
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
OK because I am odd I have decided to read these books in internal chronological order. The author has stated that this is not his preferred order, but I am not only odd but stubborn.

This is the first of a duo of novels concerning the earliest history of the land of Candor. Set probably hundreds of years after a high technology group landed on the planet to set up a colony it tells the story of their decedents struggling to maintain some of their high technology in a low tech world. Having lost
Kerry
May 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Kerry by: Adam Welch
I made it to page 165 (of around 500) and just couldn't take it anymore. The worldbuilding was kind of interesting but the writing is pretty terrible. It takes him SO LONG to say stuff and he includes all these details that are super boring and unnecessary. For example, in order to introduce the members of the protagonist's family, he says how many slices of dark or light bread they each take as they pass the bread basket around the table. "Bob took a slice of dark bread. George took one slice o ...more
Pickyreader
Fabulous

This is an enjoyable coming of age story. Lorn is a lovable character. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Bren
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronologically, this is the first book in the Saga of Recluce. I have read others in the series (earlier in publication order but not story order), but not for a long time, and I think this would be a good place for a new reader to start the series.

This book covers a young man, born a mage, who pursues an unconventional course in a kingdom that values tradition. Many of the characters are hatching plots of various scales, and the resulting intertwined intrigue is engrossing. I also enjoyed the
Debra Meyer
The narrator has to be the most boring narrator ever, I am almost thinking that it would be better to use this series as a sleeping pill and only listen to it at night, except for the fact that I would like to know what happens. Saying that this book coulda taken half of it out and it would have been a great book but far to much of it was so boring it was helping the narrator put me to sleep far to often for my peace of mind and work ethics. I like to listen to audiobooks while I work on pattern ...more
Ron
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lorn is a student magus who is not as committed to chaos as is deemed necessary to continue in that field. For that lack of commitment, he becomes a Mirror Lancer officer who ends up facing the barbarians of the grasslands and with a promotion to captain, he is sent to patrol the wall that keeps the Accursed Forest from reclaiming its former territory. Lorn manages to tick off important people, but with effort, skill, luck, and good choices he manages to survive. Now all he need to do is keep hi ...more
Zach
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Took me forever to get into this one. The characters lie flat the setting is unidentifiable which considering this is 10 books in is weird. Finally though I did get hooked and I am interested to see what happens next. I am gifting this one 3 stars because I did enjoy some of it and the next book continues the story.
Katie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like that this book shows someone "good" wielding chaos, even though it's still somewhat formulaic to the other books in the series. There were a lot of hints and innuendos that I didn't really understand, but I'd put that down to lazy reading. Since this was one of a multitude of books I'm re-reading before purging, I sped through it - still enjoyed it though.
Ron Souliere
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Been going through these books like eating popcorn,
handful at a time. This one took a little longer,
don't use electronic while camping with the scouts.
Steve Pillinger
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, imported
Didn't enjoy this quite as much as the earlier two books written from the 'white', or chaos, perspective in the chaos/order divide. But it did draw the reader in.
Carrie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I seem to remember that Lorn was one of my favourite characters from this series but the plot overall is a bit of a snore.
Durelle
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Couldn't put it down! Looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Love this author. ... .... ...
Bradley
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Decent read. I could hardly put it down. =)
Helen
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating dive into the early days of this world.
Josephine
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is interesting following the characters.
Carla
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading the series in chronological order

Love all Modesitt's books. Been a while since I've read this series, decided to doit in the order they happened. This a a great opener, gives a very sympathetic treatment to the chaos magic that is so important in the series.

james burgan
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great new story

This is the first time I have an read this book. It ties together the story and fills in details which tie together the story line. Mr Modesitt is an exceptional writer with a lack of holding his reader's interest.?

Mary Soon Lee
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've spent a lot of time in the past few months wanting to escape into L. E. Modesitt's fantasy novels. I like the main characters and find the books very immersive. This particular book is the tenth in The Saga of Recluce. The pace during the books may seem slow, though there are moments of high action. The prose is usually unremarkable. Yet somehow the pacing and the unobtrusive prose combine so that I slip into the story as if it were real. Over the course of the saga, which spans many centur ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Cyador pair may be my favorite of the Recluce novels. They're cohesive, form a compelling arc, and have a number of engaging characters - not just the main character. They're fairly distant chronologically from all of the rest, even the Angels books, and that allows them some substantial freedom - they're also much more about maintaining an empire in the face of failing resources than about the order/chaos dichotomy that is the focus of all the rest.

They're not perfect. Lorn is a solid chara
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
While much of this book was pretty entertaining, the characters are cool, and the basic plot worked up to be decent, this is still a pretty boring book. It gets really repetetive and is somewhat predictable. I guess the main point of this book is just to set the reader up for the next one (at least I hope that's what's going on..) The Magi'i of Cyador is basically just the story of Lorn growing up and getting himself into position to do some great things in the upcoming troubles for his land. Lo ...more
Jerry
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Modesitt continues to deliver characters that you understand and that you want to win. You really want to know how the story turns out. His world creation and magic are believable...there are limits to what one can do with their magic and the results are often less than perfect. This makes the characters and story believable. The hero doesn't always get their way. Very much enjoying this whole series.
Brian Chafin
Not much suspense

You have to be ready for a saga to read a Modesitt book. They are long and the plot rarely moves quickly. Usually, however, he manages to have a plot that leads to a definite climax. Not so much for this one. The whole book seems a setup for Scion.
Fantasy Literature
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The nice things about L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s long-running RECLUCE series is that once you are familiar with the timeline you can reread them in pretty much any order you like. There are never more than two books with the same main character. Mind you, for the first read-through, publication order is still the best order to read them as Modesitt refines his Order/Chaos-based system of magic over time. Once in a while I reread one of these books; I call this my random RECLUCE rereads. All of the earl ...more
Debbie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've read the earlier published books in this series, you will probably enjoy this book, told for the "other" side of the magic spectrum. It continues on with the life of Lorn, taking place after the events in "Colors of Chaos". Mr. Modesitt does a good job of showing how each side of the conflict thinks they are doing things for the right reasons, even if there are horrible results. the characters are well developed and you really care what happens to some of them, and cheer when bad thing ...more
MarsianMan
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was in present tense, and something about the writing made me feel removed from the story. I found the effect subtle and slightly disconcerting, nevertheless I really liked this book. I think Lorn's goal was clear, but in a subtle manner which drove me slightly crazy. I almost had to read the second book just to make sure my guess was right :-P.

Lorn (the main character) is a gifted, diligent (but lacking passion) student of Chaos (magic). He gets transferred to the army in an effort to
Rob
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
...Modesitt gave the series a good shake up with the White/Chaos oriented books, something the series needed, I don't think he could have gone on as long as he did by just writing from the Order side of things. In fact, I would not mind if he wrote another White story. This book is among the best in the series and I very much enjoyed this reread. So much so in fact, that I was temped to pick of Scion of Cyador right away...

Full Random Comments Review
james wells
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very long book where not much happened. I want to say that I liked all the other books but this one is very tedious. The Magic Engineer is one of my favorite books of all time, but this one fell flat for me from the beginning. The ending was also anti-climactic. I felt kind of ripped off to be honest, its like he wanted to make one 400 page book into 1200 pages. If the book was half as long it would have been twice as good.

I feel that the book could use some judicious editing to bring it down

• Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • The Children of Wrath (Renshai Chronicles, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Fortress of Dragons (Fortress, #4)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
  • The Wizard's Treasure
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • Pattern (Scavenger, #2)
  • This Rough Magic (Heirs of Alexandria, #2)
  • The Blood Debt (Books of the Cataclysm, #2)
  • The Barbed Coil
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)