Start by marking “Sacrifice of Isaac” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice of Isaac

Sacrifice of Isaac

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Luke Benami thought his father, Yossef, was the great man the world said he was: professor, general, Israeli national hero. Luke also thought his brother, Danni, was the prodigal son his family said he was: army deserter, political exile, criminal. But when his father's sudden death compels Luke to return to Israel, he is forced to begin a dangerous investigation into the ...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice of Isaac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacrifice of Isaac

Carolyn Feltus-atkinson
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Unnecessarily confusing and slow. I often didn't know who was narrating. I didn't finish it.
Don
Apr 18, 2008 rated it liked it
The story the author tells is a fascinating one, a blend of suspense, mystery, Holocaust scholarship, the history of Israel and family tensions. The mystery that is ultimately unravelled ties into the Abraham/Isaac story which provides the title of the book; I suspect that this novel would make a very worthwhile book group selection.

However, the book has some very real flaws. To begin with, it strains credulity that the two principal characters--brothers about 10 years apart in age (one of whom
Belinda
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het verhaal van twee broers. Beide zoon van een Israëlische generaa en proffesorl. De generaal sterft en dan komt het verhaal niet alleen van hem maar ook wat de twee broers vonden, dachten en deden met de nalatenschap van hun vader. Hoe zit dit toch allemaal in elkaar? wat heeft Dov ermee te maken, Nicole? Vind Luke zijn broer na zoveel jaar? En binnen dit verhaal zit ook nog het verhaal van de Italië- route en een smokkelroute beide meer als 40 jaar uitelkaar liggend, en route van vader en zoo ...more
Wolfgang
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book ! Le Carré and Highsmith mixed into one package plus Neil Gordon's unbelievable ability to capture times and characters.

This book takes patience. Lots of puzzle pieces are layered out slowly and via the inner thoughts of the main characters. But language and style make you want to read this slowly, which makes the reading experience so much like reading Le Carré's novels.

Wonderful ! Can't wait for the follow-up to "The Company You Keep", which will come out end of this month in Brit
wanda
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
It was probably me because there's been a lot going on lately and I was unable to take the time to read straight through. It took close to three weeks of reading off and on and I found it a struggle to finish. It is certainly a well written mystery, but the characters are not connected well enough to follow. I loved Gordon's THE COMPANY YOU KEEP and couldn't wait to read another of his books, but found this one disappointing. Like I said, maybe it was just me.
Artemis
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gordon has exceptional abilities in story writing. In this book he develops a complex narrative that reveals a sophisticated understanding of philosophy and ideology. His use of a major art work to underpin the story reveals his understanding of political and philosophical complexities in the world and he does so with subtlety and nuance. This is the best book I have re-read in some years.
Lisa
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: abort-abort
This started out great guns, but fell flat for me about 2/3 of the way through. I now see some other reviewers had the same issue.
Doug King
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bit tedious at times. Reminds me of LeCarre'.
Chuck
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
A young American Jew chases all over western Europe trying to find his estranged brother following their father's death. Intriguing story written by a sophisticated if verbose author.
Frederic
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Convoluted narrative strategies ruin what could have been an excellent novel...
Nadine
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favourites. I have read this book three times and keep getting more from it.
Sue Tincher
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wasn't real keen on this book about a man uncovering his father's nefarious role in WWII--the characters didn't speak to me, and I was left without a clear understanding of what exactly happened.
Gerry Cragun
rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2014
Trouts8
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Fantastic tension build and plot twists. Could not put this down.
Amanda