Start by marking “The Thinker's Guide to Socratic Questioning” as Want to Read:
The Thinker's Guide to Socratic Questioning

The Thinker's Guide to Socratic Questioning

Focuses on the mechanics of Socratic dialogue, on the conceptual tools that critical thinking brings to Socratic dialogue, and on the importance of questioning in cultivating the disciplined mind. --from publisher description
Published January 1st 2016 by Foundation for Critical Thinking (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Thinker's Guide to Socratic Questioning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thinker's Guide to Socratic Questioning

Jeannie Donovan
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Perfect if you need a quick and dirty guide but I recommend reading about the method more in depth first.
Matthew Arnold
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Really helps you become conscious of the power of questions, and their intrinsic ability to direct the train of our thoughts. This book is excellent primer that helps to unmask the deeper nature of our thought patterns, i.e. it shows how to penetrate to the hidden core of the "why" and "how" behind our thinking, to pierce the veil of superficiality. The book is so much more than my description of it. I highly recommend it.
Scott Whitney
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book which I plan on using with my students. The questioning methods they talk about are sound. I just do not like the way they include so many leading questions. I tend to use more questions which start with an interrogative than questions which start with a verb of being. The Socratic method is a very powerful method of teaching and should be used in more classrooms.
Julia Stevens
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent teaching tool!
Fred Leland
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Socratic questioning is a powerful tool. But how do we ask questions and what kind of question help us to illicit dialog and better understanding of the problems we face so we can collaborative solve them. This book is a simple read about a complex problem, the lack of critical questioning in an effort to solve problems.
Dave Downey
Did not help to use the socratic method.
Willie J. Neloms
Jenaliz
Jan 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
“To formulate questions that probe thinking in a disciplined and productive way, we need to understand thinking—how it works and how it should be assessed. It is critical thinking that provides the tools for doing this, for analyzing and assessing reasoning. This is why understanding critical thinking is essential to effective Socratic dialogue.” 0 likes