Start by marking “Love Poems” as Want to Read:
Love Poems

Sonia Sanchez

Love Poems

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Musically compelling, risky, original: yes. But the most salient characteristic of Sonia Sanchez's Like the Singing Coming Off the Drums is passion. There's enough erotic exuberance in these poems to make even Cupid blush, starting with the opening salvo: "you held me so close / we were like the singing coming off drums. / you made me squeeze muscles / lean back on the sou ...more
Unknown Binding, 101 pages
Published January 1st 1973 by Okpaku Communications Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems

Xian Xian
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed from the Library

When I discovered Sonia Sanchez in the library I was really excited and this was the first one I wanted to read. But my break between classes is only an hour and a half long, so I decided to choose Does Your House Have Lions? because it’s shorter. But then after getting familiar with her style, I picked this one up. I enjoyed this one more than Does Your House Have Lions?, it’s less abstract and more lighthearted. It’s a self-healing type of a book, an ode to Black women
Christopher
Sonia Sanchez was, until a day or so ago, merely an unknown name in a giant roll call of poets unknown, but ever since I located this book on the shelf of my public library, I have not regretted meeting her.

Passionate, erotic, and delicately constructed, Sanchez's love poetry is the cream of the crop--right up there with Pablo Neruda's "Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair".

However, let us not link her to the dead or the living-- she is after all a poet.

Sanchez, who stands on her own truly, h
Chaneli
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Sonia Sanchez is always and forever close to my heart. I love this woman! Her poetry is everything to me. It electrifies my body and sings to my soul. These love poems and the various haikus, tanka, and sonku were lovely. I especially loved the last section, In This Wet Season, that has poems dedicated to the amazing Ella Fitzgerald, Tupac Shakur, Toni Cade Bambara, Cornel West, and Gwen Brooks. All of whom are amazing influential people in history.

Love love love Sonia Sanchez with my whole bei
Marilyn Diamond
I love Mama Sanchez and will follow her anywhere. She gives you assisgnments: Like can you not say one bad word about a person for a week, and if so call her...
TJahniece
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed a naughty laugh one too many times and cried. I cried reading the poems dedicated to Tupac and cried reading the poem dedicated to Cornel West. I don't know why this is my first time reading Sonia Sanchez but I'm going to read all of her work.
Jeannie
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite it's silvery title, the poetry of "Like The Singing Coming Off the Drums" - weighted heavily with Haiku and urbane tributes to the likes of Tupac Shakur and Ella Fitzgerald - simply fails to resonate with this reader.
Faith
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a ravishing piece of written art!
Olivia Prebus
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most sensual book of poetry I own.
Anisah Ali
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
because sonia sanchez reminds us that the haiku is a poem. that there can be depth and love and promise in the haiku. if you're into longer pieces, shake loose my skin may be best for you but i thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Arria
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite poetry books of all time.

Discovered this eons ago, while probably still in high school (I'm in my early 30s now) and it really spoke to me.

The haikus are short, succinct, but really strike a nerve. Stay withy you all day long (or in my case, years-long).

There are so many that really tug at my heart center. My favorite: page 18. Tanka. "I thought about you. The pain of not having you cruising my bones. No morning saliva smiles. This frantic fugue about no you."

Gawt damn. I f
Janet
I always feel bad that I don't enjoy poetry. It can be very soothing to read though but if someone asked me to choose I will always choose novels. This was the first book of poetry I read by this author and I read this in less than an hour. I downloaded it from overdrive and just played down to read. The first two sections I did not enjoy as a whole but the last section was my favorite. It was dedicated to different people and all the poems were just beautiful to me. I would love to own my own c ...more
Lindsay L
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Gorgeous. What else can be said? Sonia Sanchez is one of my favorite poets and this book is no exception, her ability to use the fewest words possible to say so much continually blows me away. Her "Haiku (for you)" has to be one of my favorite love poems.

"Love between us is/speech and breath. loving you is/a long river running."

Plus she's a scholar, an activist and a lyrical genius. What's not to love?
Melody
Dec 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was going to be a sexy love poem book, not a bunch of corny haiku's about tongues and thighs and breaths. Putting breasts in your poem does not make it deep or romantic. The random poems at the end all dedicated to Tupac and Cornel West were so out of place in this collection. I should have left this at the library. So not for me.
Angélique (Angel)
3 1/2 Stars. I will forever be impressed by Sanchez's ability to put so much emotion and power into such short verse. While there were some shining moments in her longer poems in this collection, I found the most emotional resonance and beauty in her haikus and other short forms.
Anne
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-bought
My favorite haiku in this collection -

what is done is done
what is not done is not done
let it go...like the wind.

The love poems are flowy, some heartwrenching, with just the right melancholy tone. My kind of poetry. :)
Kristin
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Most of the poems in this book are short and come in the forms of haikus and tankas. I have never been a huge fan of haikus; although I did enjoy some of hers, I preferred and enjoyed her longer song-like poems more because they pick up a greater amount of energy from one line to the next.
Petra
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read for Valentine's Day!
Marie
This is a collection of love poems from this powerful Philadelphia poet/activist/scholar! There are poems in here dedicated to Tupac Shakur and Ella Fitzgerald.
Anne Carle
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adored seeing her read from this.
Jakki
  • Love Poems
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
  • The Black Unicorn: Poems
  • Zaatardiva
  • Hard Times Require Furious Dancing: New Poems (A Palm of Her Hand Project)
  • Skin, Inc.: Identity Repair Poems
  • Ceremonies: Prose and Poetry
  • Sisters of the Yam: Black Women and Self-Recovery
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
  • What Are Big Girls Made Of?: Poems
Sonia Sanchez was born Wilsonia Benita Driver on September 9, 1934, in Birmingham, Alabama. After her mother died in childbirth a year later, Sanchez lived with her paternal grandmother and other relatives for several years. In 1943, she moved to Harlem with her sister to live with their father and his third wife.

She earned a B.A. in political science from Hunter College in 1955. She also did pos
More about Sonia Sanchez...