Start by marking “The William Monk Mysteries: The Face of a Stranger / A Dangerous Mourning / Defend and Betray (William Monk, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The William Monk Mysteries: The Face of a Stranger / A Dangerous Mourning / Defend and Betray (William Monk #1-3 omnibus)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  573 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Few authors have made Victorian London as engaging and lively as Anne Perry has and her rich descriptions and charismatic characters have long captivated fans around the world. Now in one enticing volume, here are Anne Perry’s first three classic novels featuring private investigator William Monk.

THE FACE OF A STRANGER
His name, they tell him, is William Monk, and he is a L
Published March 29th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The William Monk Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The William Monk Mysteries

Rebecca Forster
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book, even more so after having a chance to meet Anne Perry. This is not my normal genre but I was intrigued by the motivations of the characters in a time period I was not familiar with. I especially appreciated so much the detailed-without-being-laborious descriptions of time and place. Excellent read.
An Odd1
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Surprise endings are memorable but more fills books. Re-reading these was a pleasure. I look forward to re-reading more of the series, despite the gruesome crimes not limited to rigid Victorian class society.

1 The Face of a Stranger - Favorite for idea of amnesiac Monk waking to discover and dislike former self, plus his role in murder. He has a chance to change himself and (some) others' expectations. Flash of memory to solve killer identity is hard to swallow.
2 A Dangerous Mourning - Hester's
Marisa
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the William Monk Series.
Elizabeth Du
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Monks begimmimgs

The first few Monk novels estAblish the outlines of the series. We learn of the hospital location and accident that cuffliNks Anne sis. A e meet sHelter Latterly, John Evan and Oliver Rothbone who we will meet again and again in the later novels of the series. The plot and details of Victorian England are detailed in Perry's Penn excellent manner. Her layering on of street, domestic sartorial and political details is always a felig?it and contributes to the pleasure other
Merrijane
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm of two minds about this book (or rather books, since this is actually a compilation of three). In general, I liked them--mystery is my favorite genre. The first book was gripping and drew me in quickly: a Victorian-era police officer with amnesia after a life-threatening accident feels compelled to keep his memory loss a secret while he attempts to solve a difficult murder case. The author draws her characters distinctly and with depth. She is skilled at setting each scene with painstaking d ...more
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this omnibus e-book and read all three novels one after the other, so will review together. These are the first three of Perry’s William Monk series - The Face of a Stranger, A Dangerous Mourning, and Defend and Betray. I know I’ve read the last one before, but it must have been quite some time ago. I more or less remembered how it went, but there was much still to enjoy. I very much like Perry’s work in general, and these were all good. Following the larger arc of Monk’s story, and tha ...more
Kim Power
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding series

I have just read the first three William Monk books in a row. The mysteries are awesome but never "Cozy". They are designed to make us think and feel and develop,our empathy and compassion. Whilst I love the Pitt series, it is not as dark. Monk is complex, seeking himself as much as a solution to the mystery. Harriet Latterly is a misfit of a woman in her time, and Perry does an amazing job of showing us the frustrations of women of a social class in that era, if,they had wit,
Marcia Ferguson
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although I'd read these three William Monk mysteries a few years ago, my mother recommended this compilation; said she enjoyed it. Mother knows best.

If you'd asked me years ago, if I'd enjoy mysteries set in Victorian times, I'd say 'no' and in fact, avoided them. My mistake. There's something very wonderful about Anne Perry's historical mysteries, read today. I look forward to entering that world, so descriptively written, with full characters and mysteriously dark surroundings. Of course there
Beth
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: william-monk
I wish there was a 3 and half stars. I found these books to be boring at times but I couldn't stop reading them either. I really enjoy the courtroom aspect of the books but there isn't a lot of action.

I did have a problem with the third book as I felt there was a huge clue and a character to interview which they neglected to do for a long long time. I felt like screaming at Monk to go talk to this person. It was annoying. I think I will read more Monk but I need a break and something less tedio
Judy
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The three books give you much to digest and consider in the laws of the old world England. I am so grateful after finishing the third book "Defend and Betray" that we as a society can watch and recognize the nuances not seen by the family in this book. Hopefully those who care will protect their children from this heart-wrenching abuse. Well written and packed with emotion.
Kathy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Greatly enjoying Anne Perry's work. The William Monk series set in Victorian London is entertaining and educational...a lovely blend of Downton Abbey and Murdoch Mysteries, without the science (alas).
Dot
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These three books introduce the three main characters in this excellent series. You meet William and Hester in the first book and Oliver in the second. Each character is fully drawn and compelling, and the mysteries provide many red herrings before the solutions are revealed.
Mystereity Reviews
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a 3 book omnibus. I thought the first book was great, the second book was good and the third book was a bit of a grind to get through. I'm not sure why these are called the William Monk Mysteries, as he's pretty much a minor character after the first book.
Kathi
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mysteries with a few twists and turns and a few surprises, compelling characters, and rather pointed social commentary. I look forward to more encounters with Monk, Hester, Rathbone, and many of the other secondary characters.
Marla
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
I wasn't sure how the amnesia story line would hold up, but the books manage to pull it off.
Kathie Connolly
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and likable characters. Good mystery development. Interesting use of dialect. Good historical background. Definitely an enjoyable read and I am going to continue the series.
Kate
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
At first I wasn't too intrigued by the main character, but there are a whole host of minor characters that are quite interesting, I find.
Lora
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love William Monk mysteries

I loved the ending of this book along with all the twists and turns in it. Thank Anne Perry for another great book.
Rachel
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Anne Perry continues to keep you guessing in this series. I loved her "Pitt" series and this didn't disappoint. I enjoy the other series better but this is still a fun one.
Candice Warriner
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the 1700's period there's a ton more.
Mom
Feb 22, 2008 is currently reading it
Very good discriptions of the Victorian life. Main characters are well developed -somewhat radical. Hester is a nurse who has served in the Crimera who is talented and ethical.
Zcheswick
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you like victorian mysteries and strong women
then you will love Hester and you will enjoy the
'Monk' series.
Rita Dewitt
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any one who likes mysteries and especially those of the victorian era.
Recommended to Rita by: Jeanelle Wiley
Anne Perry's novels are like my fall back setting. If I'm low on ideas of what to read next I can always know that I can go to the library to pick one up and I will enjoy it.
Donna
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-novels
Awesome character development and amazing courage in choice of themes.
Kimberly
elizabeth l kempf
Oct 01, 2017
John
Feb 04, 2015
  • Death Comes To Kurland Hall (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #3)
  • Expedition Indigo
  • Bubba Done It (Dreamwalker, #2)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Fer-de-Lance/The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #1-2)
  • Sup with the Devil (Abigail Adams #3)
  • Stalking Ivory (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #2)
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace & Favor,  #7)
  • Perfect Trust (A Rowan Gant Investigation #3)
  • SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion (SPQR, #13)
  • Deal with a Demon
  • Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1)
  • An Affair of Deceit
  • This Is How You Fall
  • The Necropolis Railway (Jim Stringer, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Cracks the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #24)
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2)
  • Her Dying Breath (Slaughter Creek, #2)
Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry," the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several categories of genre fiction, including historical murder mysteries and detective fiction. Many of them feature a number of recurrin
More about Anne Perry

William Monk (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1)
  • A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2)
  • Defend and Betray (William Monk, #3)
  • A Sudden, Fearful Death (William Monk, #4)
  • The Sins of the Wolf (William Monk, #5)
  • Cain His Brother (William Monk, #6)
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • The Silent Cry (William Monk, #8)
  • A Breach of Promise (William Monk, #9)
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
“When we are happy to turn from evil because it is ugly, and causes us distress, then we condone it and become party to its continuance. Little by little, we become as guilty of it as those who commit the act—because we have told them by our silence that it is acceptable.” 2 likes
“But easy victories pall after a while. If one always wins, perhaps one is attempting only what is well within one’s capabilities—and there lies a kind of death, don’t you think? That which does not grow may well be showing the first signs of atrophy.” 1 likes