Start by marking “Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons” as Want to Read:
Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons

Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons

This book guides weekend triathletes in getting the most out of their training time and helps serious triathletes get maximum physical and mental benefit from training. Chapters cover the basics of training and fitness; training specifics for swim, bike, and marathon; mental strategies; and more. Sample training plans, photographs, charts, tables and case studies are also ...more
Published May 12th 2003 by VeloPress (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Going Long, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Long

Start your review of Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons
Noito
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a novice triathlete with only a few years experience I was able to access everything that I needed to start on my journey training for an Ironman. I would recommend that you have at least a half Ironman under your belt before buying this book. But I know I will be coming back to this time and time again as I progress in this sport.
Douglas Lord
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While it’s tough to describe ‘going long’ briefly, here’s the deal: if you had to choose one book to help you go 140.6, this is it. These two acknowledged experts present ‘traditional,’ baseline training advice covering the business of the swimming, biking, and running – and so much more. See, the longer the distance you race, the trickier it gets. This covers pretty much everything from developing mental prep/toughness to nailing the taper – the period of physiological peak fitness you achieve ...more
Erik
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Triathletes
Friel is a very calculating author and if you follow his program, you will see excellent results. The only problem is trying to follow his rigorous schedule. While more experienced Triathletes with fairly flexible schedules may not have a problem, those who work long hours or are not very strong may have a tough time following it. Either way, I think this is a good read for any Triathlete, especially if you have read the "other" books and are thinking about doing some longer distance races like ...more
Jon
Apparently I didn't put this on Goodreads the first time around? A solid piece of work with a heavy focus on form/economy and building endurance, as expected for Iron-distance training. I also find some of the strength work more useful that than in Triathlete's Training Bible (the overlap between the two is small). I have incorporated several things into my training: some of the strength exercises, the hip flexibility routine, using run/walk in training, lots of balance/posture work.
Greg Linster
I used Gordo Byrn as a coach through his online-coaching platform called Endurance Corner. He is an excellent coach and his system is based on the principles of this book. This is a great book for anyone who is serious about performance in long-course triathlon. My triathlon days, however, are long over.
David Weir
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for training for Triathlons and an Ironman. It gives great insight on what it takes to get there, what you need to do, what to eat, how to train, etc. It's a very easy read and very easy to pick up and learn new things each time.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're actually training for something, otherwise it'd be a little ridiculous.
Rick
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: triathlon, sports
If you are going to do a half-ironman distance or longer race, you have to read this book and stick with the guidance therein. I attribute the nutrition tips in the book with assisting me in finishing my Ironman. It's quite dull in many parts, but it has everything you need opther than a bike, wetsuit, and sneakers.
Anna
Sep 13, 2009 is currently reading it
Excellent resource for understanding what is involved in the longer distance triathlons. I am not racing these distances yet but am counselling athletes who are, and this will help a great deal to grasp the complexities and details of these race lengths.
Jeremy Jaramillo
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
I use this as a great reference book and view it as one of the gold standards for Triathlon training. I knocked off a star because I didn't read it like a normal book, but jumped around a lot to the sections I was working on or referencing at the time.
Folkert Wierda
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reread this very complete guide for training for multi-sport. It has obviously a lot of overlap with Friel's Triathlon Training Bible, but adds a lot, with a specific focus on what it takes to finish or race a full IM distance. Must read for all aspiring Ironmen and Iron Ladies!
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Another great book to read while needing to concentrat on my triathlon training. I love reading about what I'm doing so I can keep it in the frot of my mind all the time.
Greg
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
mandatory Ironman training book
Martin
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Very common sense approach to training
Heidi
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
good training book I have a long way to go and it's good to be able to read about some of the other training programs, injuries people sustain, and other ways to go
Jake Johnson
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic! Very in-depth.
Scott Morrison
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Joel and Gordie get it right and my coach knows them and confirmed. They all got me across the Ironman finish line strong!
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is my main training and advice book! Some bits too technical for me, but I keep finding more to learn each time I pick it up.
Kevin Coady
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book re: training for the IM distance. If you're training for your first Ironman and don't have a power meter, the chapter describing how to race an Ironman is a must read.
Jørgen Melau

• Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • Oration on the Dignity of Man
  • Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet
  • Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Faster: Demystifying the Science of Triathlon Speed
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • Alone on the Wall
  • Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • Run for Your Life: How to Run, Walk, and Move Without Pain or Injury and Achieve a Sense of Well-Being and Joy
  • ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy
  • My World
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
“One thing for sure is that most working athletes would go faster if they managed to get an extra hour of sleep every night. Sleep is a natural performance enhancer, and a lack of it is probably the single greatest challenge facing most working athletes.” 0 likes
“remember that an Ironman-distance triathlon involves a lot more “waiting” than “pushing.” Successful long-course athletes practice a combination of patience and fortitude.” 0 likes