Jump to ratings and reviews

The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies

Based on the ancient healing tradition from India that dates back thousands of years, The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies offers natural alternatives to conventional medicines and treatments with practical advice and easy-to-follow instructions. A leading authority in this field, Dr. Vasant Lad first explains the principles behind the science of Ayurveda, exploring the physical and psychological characteristics of each of the three doshas, or mind-body types--vata, pitta, and kapha. Once you have determined which type or combination of types you are, Dr. Lad helps you to begin your journey to the ultimate "state of balance" and well-being.

The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies is an invaluable guide to treating common ailments and chronic problems with strategies tailored to your personal needs based on your dosha. Dr. Lad explains why certain imbalances often result in illness and shows you how to restore your body to natural order. You'll learn which traditional Ayurvedic remedies--herbal teas and formulas, essential oils, meditation, yoga--offer relief from a variety of conditions, such as cold and flu symptoms, headaches, toothaches, sore throats, high cholesterol, vision problems, anxiety, and depression. Dr. Lad also shows you how to use diet and specific Ayurvedic techniques to prevent future illness and to promote body consciousness and healthy living.

The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies enables us all to experience the benefits of Ayurveda's healing properties that have been refined over thousands of years. All of the herbs, foods, and oils Dr. Lad recommends can be found in local health food stores or through mail-order catalogs. Complete with an extensive glossary and resource list, this is the definitive guide to natural, safe, and effective remedies, everyday keys to a lifetime of vitality and well-being.

336 pages, Paperback

First published April 7, 1998

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Vasant Dattatray Lad

33 books104 followers
An Indo-American Ayurvedic Physician, Vasant Lad brought a wealth of classroom and practical experience in Ayurveda to the United States. A native of India, he served for three years as Medical Director of the Ayurveda Hospital in Pune, India. He was Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Pune University College of Ayurvedic Medicine for 15 years. He holds a Bachelor’s of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAM&S) degree from the University of Pune and a Master’s of Ayurvedic Science (MASc) degree from Tilak Ayurved Mahavidyalaya. Vasant Lad’s academic and practical training include the study of Allopathy (Western medicine) and surgery as well as traditional Ayurveda.

Beginning in 1979, he has traveled throughout the United States sharing his knowledge of Ayurveda. In 1984 he came to Albuquerque as Director, principal instructor and founder of the Ayurvedic Institute. Vasant Lad is the author of numerous books and respected throughout the world for his knowledge of Ayurveda. Vasant Lad is the author of 11 books on Ayurveda as well as hundreds of articles and other writings. With almost 500,000 copies of his books in print in the US, his work has been translated into more than 20 languages.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews
Profile Image for JJ.
35 reviews4 followers
August 8, 2014
One week ago, I attended the Ayurvedic workshop, where I learned the basic concept of Ayurveda, the characteristics of my dosha, pitta, and how to take care of my body, mind and spirit.
This book was just the right book for reviewing the things that I learned in the workshop.

According to this book, a pitta type like me should refrain from eating hot spicy dishes, sour, and fermented foods when out of balance. For a pitta type, summer is the most difficult time, so it is important to keep cool. One thing I got interested in was that a pitta type should avoid the headstand and other inverted poses. No wonder I can't do a headstand!

Ayurvedic lifestyle suggests that a pitta type wake up by 5:30 and sleep at 10 to 11 P.M. Suggested dietary guidelines were 50% whole grains, 20% protein, and 20-30% vegetables (optional 10% for fresh fruits).

Ayurveda emphasizes that every person has their own healing. I will learn more about Ayurveda to deepen my own healing and help others.
Profile Image for Divya.
7 reviews
April 7, 2016
LOVED this book and want to learn so much more. The book provides an excellent intro to a 5000 year old approach to health management from my beloved India - Ayurveda. It will leave you feeling inspired to try a more natural way to healing health. It also made me appreciate Indian cooking and brought understanding to why certain spices and ingredients are used (i.e. so that's why we grew up using cumin seeds and turmeric or why we had yogurt + cucumbers with dinner). The background on meditation, yoga, breathing techniques was also very instructive though my only very slight issue was some of the tips felt somewhat impractical given people's lifestyles today. That said, I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a more "mother's nature" way to deal with some common health concerns. A key first step; however, is determining your "doshas" make-up. While there is a quiz to help you figure this out, it may be worth seeing an Ayurveda specialist to help with this.
March 2, 2019
The practice of nonviolence is the best among life-promoting practices, conservation of vital energy among the strength-promoting, and acquisition of knowledge among the nourishing practices. Control of sensory organs is the best to achieve happiness, and knowledge of reality for pleasure.
Profile Image for Elise Blair.
25 reviews10 followers
April 26, 2013
My first book on the subject and was very happy with it. I feel like it gave me a lot of fun information. Very easy flow to the reading. I read it in like 2 days, would have been one if I had the time. Will buy his cookbook next.
Profile Image for Shivani Sharma.
14 reviews2 followers
February 25, 2015
If I could give a book more than 5 stars, this would be the one. If there is one book on holistic healing that you are going to buy that is so simple yet so comprehensive and profound, pick this one up.
Profile Image for Ajay.
241 reviews3 followers
May 14, 2020
Read it long time back. Its an amazing book. Have keep in my kitchen for references. Even i have change my lifestyle.
Profile Image for Sher.
535 reviews3 followers
January 20, 2017
This textbook is written by the founder of the Ayurvedic Institute in New Mexico and provides a solid introduction to the the constitutional types in Ayurveda, along with an overview of how digestion works, and the relationship between qualities of food types and how they influence mind-states. Most of the book covers home remedies using food and herbs according to dosha. Sections on how to make ghee, herbal remedies, and oils are also included - along with skin preparations, and a section illustrating helpful yoga postures.
Profile Image for Tiarra.
52 reviews2 followers
November 6, 2014
This is a book that you can never truly finish reading as you will need to refer back to it over and over again. If you are looking for more natural remedies to cure ailments and/or just live a generally more healthy lifestyle then this is the book for you.
Profile Image for Sandra Bloom.
Author 13 books16 followers
June 12, 2018
This is a valuable guide to explore more about Ayurveda. I use a lot of Ayurvedic treatments in my daily life and in my haircare routine. I do not follow this 100%, because it does not fit my diet entirely.
9 reviews1 follower
August 31, 2019
Having read the basics of Ayurveda, I wanted to dive into the next exploration of what to do when ___ happens. I got great insights from this book. It is one of its kind which makes a user aware of the general herbs and its nature of the action.

2 reviews
December 20, 2008
There are 3 mind-body types- vata, pitta, and kapha. This book offers natural alternatives to conventional medicines and treatments. Very important, must have book!
Profile Image for Chanti.
146 reviews
February 6, 2011
Another must-have for home-remedy-Ayurveda folks. Really comprehensive and has never steered me in the wrong direction!
Profile Image for Kate Lumsden.
20 reviews18 followers
October 28, 2011
Great easy reference for common and less common ailments and easy ways to heal them at home. Also first 1/3 of book is a nice intro to Ayurveda.
Profile Image for Chraeloos.
17 reviews7 followers
May 9, 2012
Again, this book is good for an introduction to ayurveda, but if you've read a lot about it it doesn't offer anything new.
Profile Image for Mike Wall.
2 reviews
September 7, 2012
This is an excellent book for someone new to Ayurveda and also serves as a great reference manual for common ailments.
Profile Image for Susan.
71 reviews4 followers
September 18, 2012
I love how this book provides easy practical applications to everyday conditions.
Profile Image for Sherry Grimes-jenkins.
12 reviews3 followers
May 28, 2013
Great book teaches a lot about your dosha and how to care for your body. Handing it down to the kid.
Profile Image for Leah.
76 reviews13 followers
January 26, 2015
This is one of those books you refer to again and again.
Profile Image for K.
4 reviews
May 14, 2015
Excellent

Infinitely useful, engaging, and practical. Many of the remedies in this book are accessible. In my opinion, this is a book everyone should own.
October 27, 2016
Good read

Interesting info I found it to be enlightening and informative. I would buy the hard copy. I highly recommend it.

Profile Image for Mel.
212 reviews
July 6, 2017
Very helpful. I will reread as needed and consider this book to be an excellent reference for the whole family.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
6 reviews
July 10, 2017
Very good book for recipes and beginning Ayurvedic concepts but I will find more books to study further.
Profile Image for Kate.
72 reviews3 followers
May 2, 2018
Great Practical Guide

This was a comprehensive guide to ayurveda, especially helpful for applying principals on your own without expensive therapies and doctors

Profile Image for Jessica Young.
4 reviews1 follower
May 30, 2018
Love this book. I use it all the time as a tool for maintaining health and wellness. Comprehensible, informative, easy for all. Great.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.