Start by marking “The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery

The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery

(Chet Gecko Mystery #4)

Grammar school--it's all about eating and sleeping. Well, for Chet Gecko, anyway.
To Chet, nothing is more divine than a plate of Mrs. Bagoong's Mothloaf Surprise followed by a sweet bit of shut-eye on the playground. (Besides a few Pillbug Crunch bars and a monthlong holiday, that is.)
In this hilarious mystery from Chet's tattered casebook, he and his mockingbird
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Nap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Nap

Start your review of The Big Nap: A Chet Gecko Mystery
Emma
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
This was THE book of my childhood-- One of the top three books in my favorite series. It was the one I read most often, and was one of the funniest of the series. Waldo the Furball made his first real appearance after being breifly mentioned in the previous story, and he turned out to be a favorite of mine.
Sheila
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zombies seem to be taking over the school and Chet must find out who is responsible.

This is one where knowing 1940's film noir and jazz works best. Chet's puns are a hoot! What pictures they put in my mind. I love his sidekicks--Natalie and Waldo. All I can say is thank heavens for them both. Chet has to stop thinking he can do it alone. Also this tale gives a timely warning all (adults and kids) should heed. Can't wait to read the next one.
Anthony
Something, or someone is turning the students of Emerson Hicky Elementary into law abiding, goody-two shoes, zombies. Chet Gecko and his wise cracking partner Natalie Attired are hired to find out who or what is causing this strange happening. Chet Gecko has several possible perps on his radar, but it's going to take more than a hunch to break this mystery.
Dolly
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the fourth book in the Chet Gecko Mystery by Bruce Hale. Years ago, we read a few of the books in this series (completely out of order) and both times our girls weren't quite ready for the word play and the style of the storytelling. Each time I decided to wait a couple of years to read another one of the books in the series for our girls to be old enough to get the humor.

Finally, I think they understand at least most of the puns and the hard-boiled detective style of story. They really
Ariel
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Part of his "Chet Gecko Mystery" series, Bruce Hale's book is not only entertaining for kids, but also makes references that older readers will love as well. Hale's protagonist, Chet Gecko, is out to solve another mystery. This time, he has been hired to find out what is turning all of the students at Emerson Hicky Elementary into zombies!
While the detective "jargon" might be slightly confusing to the younger set, it doesn't affect the story's comprehensibility, and the drawings that accompany
Heidi-Marie
Still fun and silly. The audio was great, though I had to read the last two chapters in print as I gave the audio version to a regular patron so he could experience Chet in audio. After 4 books, I'm still willing to hand Chet out. If I continue more with the series, I'll see if things become repetitive or stale. Otherwise, an excellent choice for many readers of many ages.
Nicholas
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought the book is both funny but yet mysterious. But yet it is really funny. I recommend this book to anyone who is bored but likes comedy. This is pretty good. Its about talking animals in a school and Chet Gecko private eye is a detective. They are trying to find out who is turning them into zombies.
Salma
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of fantasy and humour.
Shelves: love, search
This book is one of a kind!I love everything about it.It was full of humour,suspense and everything a good book has.I also love the "zombie"concept.I'm just at a loss of words but I recommend this to anyone who loves mystery and humour(and mosquito shake).
Michaela
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Loved this and John Cryer reads the audio - so many fabulous puns and it's written in the same style as the old time PI movies. It's great for a family car ride.
Luca
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OOOHHHHHH that was more zombie than I could take really.
Nicholas Pape
I thought that so far the story is great. They're trying toi see who's taking over the kids at school's minds. I think it's the bully Herman because he's very suspicious for what he is.
Calder
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, audio-books
I like the hypnotism!
Mohammad
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
M: This book is like the funniest.
Ashley
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite series as a kid.
Jake Will
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
very zombified
Shelley
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A funny, entry-level mystery appropriate for my 3rd grader. Lots of the puns and jokes went over his head. The writing style is cute and the mystery and clues are good.
Ladii
Dec 11, 2011
Tami
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties (Dog Man, #3)
  • Romeo And Juliet
  • Lethal in Old Lace (Consignment Shop Mystery #5)
  • Evil Librarian
  • Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2)
  • Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker
  • Story of O (Story of O #1)
  • The Gentleman and the Lamplighter
  • Heidi and the Kaiser
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • A Life Less Monogamous
  • Pete the Cat: Snow Daze
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • In a Blink
  • The Monster Squad
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Laura
A serious book addict, Bruce wanted to be a children's book author since he was in 4th grade (right after he got over wanting to be a pirate, Tarzan, and Daniel Boone). Today he's the author-illustrator of over 50 seriously funny books for kids, so some dreams do come true.

The Malted Falcon, one of his Chet Gecko Mysteries series, was an Edgar Award finalist, and Murder, My Tweet won a Little D

Chet Gecko Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery