Start by marking “Zabajaba Jungle” as Want to Read:
Zabajaba Jungle

Zabajaba Jungle

Leonard penetrates the mysterious Zabajaba Jungle where odd adventures await him, from carnivorous flowers to a petrified monster.
Published September 1st 1991 by Sunburst (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Zabajaba Jungle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zabajaba Jungle

Start your review of Zabajaba Jungle
Calista
This is an adventure through a whole new type of jungle where flowers are so large that you can drink nectar from them and they will lift you off the ground. The snakes in this story are scary. There are so many that the snakes can make a carpet. There are some crazy animals and plants in this jungle. He is captured by some blue bottomed monkeys and taken to this weird tribunal.

There is a bird that looks like the dodo from the movie Up, but this came out first. It helps to save the boy. The wei
Melki
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
Steig's tale, while well illustrated as always, of a boy roaming the jungle and seeing strange sights is really nothing special. It's a pleasant enough one-time read, but I doubt this will be anyone's read-it-again-tonight bedtime favorite. Then again, I'm not a child, so take this review with a grain of salt.
Josiah
May 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Leonard is on a dangerous quest through the wild Zabajaba Jungle, hoping to survive its unknown dangers and rescue his parents. The creatures that he meets within the jungle and the ways that he finds to thwart them will make for an interesting story, especially for students in the very early grades of elementary school.
Lisa
Feb 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
It was pretty terrible for a children's book. It used big words, didn't really have a story.... just a character rambling through the jungle for no reason. It did not hold the interest of my kids at all and it left me entirely unimpressed.
Catherine
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, picture-books
This is from the author of Shrek (which is one of the rare cases where I prefer the movie to the book), so I expected wackiness, but this was just random and rambling, like an acid trip for kids, but not in a good Alice in Wonderland way.
Liz H {Redd's Reads}
Normally, I don't mind nonsensical picture books, but this one left me with a bad feeling in my stomach and didn't have the decency to put together a through story line. Even though the art was fun, this book was all over the place. I wouldn't be able to recommend this book to anyone.
Theresa
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Zabajaba Jungle by william steig is an early reader simple pictures about the jungle and how animals can be exciting
Carol
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This, too, is a tale of survival full of danger and fear where Leonard in alone in a strange land of profuse vegetation and creatures, both strange and fascinating. The illustrations are intricate and busy the way one might imagine a jungle. The creatures are scary in appearance, yet the butterfly and Flora the bird help Leonard escape danger. Although Leonard and his parents bear a strong resemblance to Pete and his pizza-making parents, the pictures are quite different. In Pete’s world there i ...more
Patrick
May 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
NO!! I thought my kids brought home a children's book from Headstart until I started to read it to them, and stopped at the first page. I felt like I was reading my children a mix of "Penthouse" and "High Times". I was so taken back that this author would write a 'children's story' about something like this! This book is awful! My local Headstart threw the book in the garbage when i presented it to them and they actually READ the story. Call me overexposed to the world today, but i would prefer ...more
Molly Thornton
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fun and adventurous little book. I felt it was a bit of a mind trip when he found his parents trapped in a bottle where they couldn't hear him. I mean, what is that suppose to represent? My only complaint was the spastic approach, one moment being dragged off by randomly appearing monkeys and then you are exiting some ancient animals giant cloaca. I liked the pictures!
SheAintGotNoShoes
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Wow, I never thought I would live to see the day that I would rate a William Steig book anything less than a 4 or 5.

This was definitely not one of his best. Rambling, pointless and fairly plotless. 🥺 🥺 🥺
Nate
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Favorite picture book ever. This is the motherfucker who wrote Shrek!
Ashlin Edmisten
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zz2017, childrens
What a strange and unusual book
Jes
May 14, 2018
Joe Kuth
Jun 18, 2018
Micah B
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2017

• The Science of Storytelling
  • The Medina Device
  • The Coat
  • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
  • Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2)
  • If You Were There in 1492
  • Discipline that Connects with Your Child's Heart
  • The Candy Smash (The Lemonade War, #4)
  • The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden, #1)
  • The Adventure in the Amazon: Brazil (Secret Agents Jack and Max Stalwart #2)
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer