Start by marking “Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)

Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  5,459 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
For many earthly centuries, a legendary curse has plagued the Winters family, stemming from the tumultuous founding of the Arcane Society. But now, on the futuristic world of Harmony, the curse’s final mystery will be unraveled…

Adam Winters has enough responsibility as the new head of the local Ghost Hunter Guild without being saddled with the family curse. He’s convinced
Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Jove Books (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Crystal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Crystal

Cindy
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
A great read - it gives us what we're paying for when we buy Quick/Krentz/Castle novels: Tightly plotted stories with great suspense, characters you want to know, and cameos and references to characters you already know.

The order is complicated - really, really complicated.

Here's the order for the Harmony books:
Harmony World series
6. Dark Light (2008)
7. Obsidian Prey (2009)
Harmony (omnib
Jilly
This was the worse one of the series. You can almost guess that there will be problems when you see that this book is a numbered book in three different series. This book was trying to wrap up two different other series, along with being a number seven in this one. That was a lot to ask out of one book. So it took a TON of explaining back-stories of the other two series so that we wouldn't be lost. It didn't work. Not only was I lost, but I didn't care to find my way back. If I was interested in ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Midnight Crystal (Harmony # 7; Arcane Society # 9; Dreamlight Trilogy # 3) by Jayne Castle takes us back to the world of Harmony again.
 photo 0a4a8ce46c65b1a38c672b51334ca963_zpsp7qfgojp.jpg
Adam Winters is the new head of the local Ghost Hunter Guild and he;s having huge problems in his life..........
 photo download_zps1pverdfx.jpg

nightmares and hallucinations he believes his family curse will come to fruition...........become a crazy psychic unless he can find a stolen relic and the only woman who can read dreams.......that will be his only salvation.

That woman is Marlowe Jo
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, steamy
I kind of hated the beginning of the dreamlight story arc in Fired Up. The romance was good, but the whole dreamlight thing is just stupid. So I was a bit dismayed to find that dreamlight has infected the Harmony series by ending the trilogy here.

And it turns out I still hate dreamlight. It's a little less obnoxious on Harmony because you have a broad spectrum of psychical talents so I could kind of ignore the bits that annoy me. But that left me with a lot to ignore that got in the way of me li
Mojca
Midnight Crystal: Book Three of the Dreamlight Trilogy (Arcane Society Series #9) Another wonderful installment in this series. For someone not familiar with the futuristic world of Harmony (and let me tell you, it’s a little different from the one of St. Helen), this book might represent a little of a challenge at first, what with all the new terms, the history, the psi ruins, weapons etc., but once you get into it, you’ll love it, even if you find it difficult to grasp sometimes. For most read ...more
Zana
*sigh*

Okay, so the characters were not so repugnant as in the last book of hers that I read, but that's about all I can say that's positive in this book.

First, we have futuristic world with no worldbuilding. None. It's the 21st century, transplanted onto an alien planet (with no aliens) and NO OTHER CHANGES. Except we call it the 23rd. Right.

Also, this is the third book in a series that has built up all along to the foreshadowed CALAMITY that was supposed to be the pivot point of the final book.
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

As I had hoped, Midnight Crystal wrapped up the Dreamlight trilogy quite nicely without overdoing it with the repetitive 'Burning Lamp' and 'Winters Curse' legends.  There were a few repeats of similar dialogue and actions from the previous two Dreamlight books, but overall, Midnight Crystal proved to be a standalone, and a conclusive sequel to the Dreamlight trilogy.

As is usual for Jayne Castle (a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz), we still employ a lot of the same devices for the
Maria
10-16-2010: I was thrilled to find this book on my last visit to the bookstore. Needless to say I read it as soon after purchase as possible and probably too fast, because I can't seem to get enough of JAK to begin with, even re-reading her books almost every year. This one I particularly enjoyed. Her characterization of Marlowe Jones is masterly and I loved Marlowe's cool mature approach to every situation even when her heart was trying to jump out of her body in trepidation. Marlowe is a femal ...more
Melindeeloo
Midnight Crystal, the final book in the Dreamlight trilogy which has spanned the Arcane Society's history past, present and finally future – and all three Castle/Krentz/Quick nom de plumes - finishes up on the futuristic world of Harmony where almost everyone has some degree of paranormal talent. This story was my favorite of the three in the trilogy - and better than the last Harmony/Ghosthunter book too.

Midnight Crystal brings together the descendants of former enemies Sylvester Jones and Nich
Kristen
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I read Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle, I'm transported to a futuristic post-Earth world. She really created her own for the setting of the story. Right from the start, we're introduced to Adam Winters and Marlowe Jones, two people from rival families. From the start, we learn about their history and background. You can't miss the sparks flying between them. The chemistry is there. I rooted for them to come together and tempt Fate. Still, they took us to a new kind of world, the underworld ...more
Joy
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Harmony series has settled into a vein of solid pleasure, without the thrill of the first in the series, AFTER GLOW. Something has fallen out of its proper rhythms in the underworld that was built by Harmony's ancient alien population. If the power source crashes it could destroy the entire underworld. The current representatives of the Winters and Jones families must find and use the Lamp to recalibrate it. Will the sexual nature of their joined energies backfire and endanger their mission? ...more
Donna
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the first 2 books in this trilogy, but this one was a little disappointing. I found the "midnight crystal" episode did not live up to my expectation and was actually a little silly. The romance between Marlowe and Adam was never really developed. And the Arcane society bit about the triplets and the Cerebrus talent felt just thrown in there. It was like there was this big build up to the finish, but this book couldn't quite deliver.
Keri
I think my love affair with Harmony may be over. I skimmed most of the book. Marlow and Adam got to where I didn't really care whether they were a couple or not. I didn't really feel their romance. Maybe it is time JAK to find a new formula because Arcane is starting to feel really, really old.
K.
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Metaspinster
So although I've read all of the previous Arcane Society books, this is my first Harmony book. And although it did seem more jargony (?) because it's a future-sf/f setting, I was able to quickly figure out what all the new scifi-ish terms meant in context. But, I think I prefer the Victorian England and contemporary American setting of the books written under the Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krenz pennames all the same.

And as I noted in my reviews of the first two books in the "Dreamlight Trilogy
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This is my first time reading one of Jayne Ann Krentz's futuristic novels, written under the pseudonym, Jayne Castle. I don't normally like to start a series in the middle for the very reasons I had some issues with this book, but it was the next one in line in the Arcane Socitey books (which span her historical, contemporary, and futuristic novels), so I forged ahead.

The Harmony books are set in the future on a formerly alien-inhabited planet called Harmony. Harmony is now inhabited by humans.

T
Barb in Maryland
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
There's a good deal going on in this book and all of it fun. Ms. Krentz/Castle wraps up her Dreamlight story arc with this futuristic story set in her long-established Harmony world.
We encounter the Burning Lamp again as Adam Winters needs it to keep from going crazy--those pesky family curses, don't you know. And this time his dreamlight reader is Marlowe Jones (of the Arcane Society Jones & Jones).
Adam is an alpha male, alright, but pretty civilized. Marlowe is a very competent woman with
Patty
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have been enjoying books by Jayne Ann Krentz (and any of her various other names) for many years, going back into the 1980's. Although they often follow a similar formula she always manages to bring something new a fresh to the story.

This is the third, and final, book in the Dreamlight Trilogy but also the ninth Arcane book and the seventh Harmony book. Takes some serious talent and planning to bring together three different series, keep track of the "history" of all three series and manage to
Melody
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dreamlight Trilogy united the nom de plumes of author Jayne Anne Krentz by joining her contemporary voice with Amanda Quick's historicals and Jayne Castle's other-worldly novels. Midnight Crystal was the last in the trilogy, and Jayne does not disappoint. Marlowe Jones is a dreamlight talent and has been heading up J&J Investigations for the past three months. Adam Winters is the new Boss of the Frequency Guild, a direct descendant of Nicholas Winters, and the apparent recipient of the W ...more
An Odd1
Motorcycle riding dreamlight reading gal Marlowe Jones matches Adam Winter, as usual super-strong hunter guild boss. Both search for the earth artifact 'lamp' rumored to heal him. And, oh ya, the alien power-source for the whole world approaching meltdown.

Author Jayne Castle combines futuristic amber tuned crystal energy planet Harmony with her alter ego Krentz's psychic PI Jones agency and alias Amanda Quick's historical Arcane Society, mystery and all their explicit romance. Sometimes I wonde
Ashley♥Alexis
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-fantacee
I love those dust bunnies. Each Harmony dust bunny is so unique. I was bummed that this was only a 3 book series but also happy to see the end of it. I know there are only so much you can do with finding a lamp but the Winters family plays a huge role in the Jones family and the fact that they founded the Arcane Society i felt that the Winters family never really got enough coverage. With that being said i'm glad the series ended with the Winters and Jones reconciliation. I love love love the wo ...more
Lexie
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Prelim review: Honestly speaking I really dislike when authors do crossovers for their different genres--I'm an OCD sort of reader so I feel an urge to read all the other books. Despite not being that interested in the Arcane Society.

So I'm ignoring that this is part of a trilogy.

As a new Harmony novel it was fascinating because it gave a lot more clues away about the world and the aliens then we've gotten in recent books. Also Dust Bunnies were featured more prominently (I really would like a D
Carrie
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading these books is kind of like being confronted with a bag of kettle chips or a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies, you just start cramming them in and it's fun (lots of fun) but it ends too soon...

Sidenote: Gibson- best pet/sidekick/assistant yet; a pool that includes Marlene and Katie (ala Jennifer Crusie)

Further off to the side: I didn't know that the author used to be a librarian- rock on!
Gamatst
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I "read" this one via audiobook. Loved it just as I have all the other Castle Ghosthunter books. Tanya Eby was a new narrator for this series and she did an excellent job. It was a nice change up in voices and in some attitude.

JAK is a comfort read for me, whenever I pick them up I know what I'm going to get and I always enjoy it.
Becka Nash
I love the Arcane Society! You can read the series in order or all the historical (Amanda Quick) and then all the contemporary (Jayne Ann Krentz) either way it's fun!

Midnight Crystal is the ninth Arcane Book- the first futuristic novel in the series. The third in the Dreamlight Trilogy.
Renée
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are a few things that I'd like to discuss:
1. Just how far in the future is this?
2. What the hell is this world called Harmony? Don't you dare not tell. I got intel that this is the seventh (7th!) installment in the Ghost Hunters series. What the hell girl
3. Finally, the Winters and Jonses will be bonded together! By marriage, no less! This is a dream come true.
4. You know, this Ghost Hunter Guild is making me recall that Ghost Rider movie starring Nicholas Cage. Funny how Nicholas is a
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle
First published: 2010
Length: 372 pages
Setting: Future. Frequency City on Harmony.
Sex: Reasonably frequent but mostly fade to black. Not a big deal for the story.
Hero: Newly made head of Ghost Hunters Guild. Thinks he's becoming a cerberus. Can do something paranormal (I was never quite sure what).
Heroine: Newly made head of J&J. Dreamlight Reader.
Includes: Excerpts from Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz and Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick

Despite clearl
Carmen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
According to the author's words: "Some of the secrets of the artifact were revealed in the first two books of the trilogy, Fired Up and Burning Lamp. Now, far in the future, on a world called Harmony, the lamp’s final mystery—the secret of the Midnight Crystal—will be revealed. The destinies of both the Jones and the Winters families hang in the balance."
It was a bit of a challenge, being the first book set in Harmony that I read.
The same old pattern: boy meets girl, they feel an irresistible, i
Kasey Riley
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth every star...

I don't often find a book worth 5*...but Midnight Crystal most definitely is. Layers of mystery that last until the final chapter, characters so well imagined that you can picture them in your mind, a plot that carries from the first page to the last chapter...not much more a reader could want. Add to those a light hand and a sense of humor and you have a novel to challenge your mind and make you smile at the same time...GOOD JOB! I am going to find more from Jayne Castle...
Trudi Jorda
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance, mystery
I love Jayne Ann Krentz-Jayne Castle!!!!! Adam Winters and Marlowe Jones are two strong talents and in book 3 they come come together! The chemistry , the heat and the psi talent are awesome. Well written story line, just the right amount of sex and plenty of excitement make this one of my favorite books of the series! Adam is everything you hope for in the strong silent brooding sort of male and Marlowe is just the gutsy woman who is strong enough for him to let go and heal-- and have fun along ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Narrator 4 25 Apr 20, 2013 03:31AM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Midnight Crystal (2010) Arcane 9, Dreamlight 3 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 10:55AM
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle

Dreamlight Trilogy (3 books)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be