Start by marking “The Stillburrow Crush” as Want to Read:
The Stillburrow Crush

The Stillburrow Crush

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  7,545 Ratings  ·  276 Reviews
Sixteen year old, Carrie Paxton, isn't the most popular girl in her small town of Stillburrow. But that's never concerned her before. Her life revolves around her writing, and she loves her job as the student editor of the school paper.

But when she gets assigned to interview the football team's beloved quarterback, she takes one look into Luke Carter's blue eyes and is a g
202 pages
Published February 26th 2010 by Climbing Rosebud (first published January 1st 2010)

Jennifer Kyle
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

description

This is a young adult story about the school’s editor and the wealthy quarterback’s unlikely (to them) fall into love. Linda Kage added more to this book as the heroine’s brother tale was unraveling at the same time and made this one a well written and told tale.

Luke and Carrie's fall into friendship and more in this small Kansas town was a push and pull feel (how I loved his poems) while watching Marty and Abby’s sad tale play out along side them was just flat out heartbreaking.

Ove
BlebeTanja
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
"Every other girl in school thinks you're the hottest thing since
the microwave."

This sentence cracked me up big time. I laughed so hard tears started rolling down my cheeks.

Have I told you how much I hate when people put labels on other people? He's fat, she's a slut because she was seen in company of two different men in a matter of days, she's a drug addict because she looks awfully pale, he's poor because his jeans are ripped; and of course the other way around - his mother is a maid and his
Charlie
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
When I started reading this book, I thought it would be just like every other chick flick but I was pleasantly surprised by the end. It's a funny and endearing story about Carrie and the moment her life starts changing.
First I have to say I loved Carrie and Luke’s relationship. At the beginning I found her paranoia over her social and economic differences a little annoying but once she started opening herself up, the way they acted around each other made me smile every time.
I loved all of the ch
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
We could live in the same town with someone all our lives, work along side someone, or sit next to someone at school all year, but still not know them at all. Can we really know someone? Or do we see what we want to see? Do we see what society tells us to see in a star quarterback, rich kid, mechanic’s daughter, or high school drop out?

Stillburrow Crush asks readers those very questions and more about expectations, roles we play, and appearances. There is a lot going on in such a short book, but
ivana18
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very nice and refreshing YA book about a 16 year old Carrie and her life in a (very) small town. It's a story about growing up, about family, about social status and of course about love.

Carrie is a daughter of the town's mechanic and an aspiring journalist who develops a crush on the most popular boy in school, who is (in her opinion) waaay out of her league.
But Carrie isn't just your regular high school girl.
She's a smart ass with a smart mouth who just can't keep her opinions to herself,
_yay_
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've been sitting at my desk for ten minutes thinking about how best to describe The Stillburrow Crush. I guess all I can do is try...
Sixteen year old Carrie Paxton lives in a small town and sees herself as the odd girl out. As editor of the school's journal it's her job to get Stillburrow's very own star quarterback Luke Carter to answer some questions about the teams latest game. She certainly didn't anticipate the effect Luke has on her without even trying. Crushing on him isn't something she
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Stillburrow Crush started off with a sweet chic-lit contemporary storyline. I said, okay, this is really cute. With the rich jock quarterback and the poor girl who falls for him . . . But halfway through this novel, Linda Kage throws me a fantastic curveball, and one heck of a powerful storyline. Linda Kage’s writing is one that sneaks up on you, and I found myself biting my nails and crying my eyes out. I Love Kage for that kind of surprise attack. The Stillburrow Crush is a short read, but ...more
Lauren
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've been under a lot of stress lately, mostly with school. So when I sat down with The Stillburrow Crush a couple of days ago, I was hoping it would push away my stressors for a bit by being a funny and cute romance type book. Luckily enough, The Stillburrow Crush completely succeed and went beyond in doing that!

First off, I adored the characters! From the smart, head-strung, and witty Carrie from the surprisingly sweet jock hiding a few secrets named Luke, this book had so many fun and diverse
Talltree
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-ya-na
Low angst and very readable YA romance between a smart mouthed reporter and high school jock.
Liked the h, she was an original. I liked the H too, but lost almost all my liking when he admitted that he had been ashamed to be seen with h and wanted to make her his secret girlfriend ( or something) in the beginning. I can see why h forgave him bcos he did so much for her. But that would have been a deal breaker for me. Reduced stars for that. Safe romance.
3.75 stars!
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
I can muddle through books which have a clear and linear path from the gate if the characters and dialogue are strong and believable. Unfortunately with this novel, that was not the case. From the prologue it was clear how this story would end and with every new scene I could predict the outcome. Again, I can live with that if, say, the protagonist is believable or there is depth of meaning to the character's actions or voice. Take, for instance, Elizabeth Scott's Bloom. What a fantastic read. T ...more
Mayu
Hace unos meses leí por encima esta novela, y no me gustó, pero tenía la esperanza de que pudiera gustarme tras una lectura completa. Después de un par de meses dudando, he decidido suspender esta novela y añadirla como abandonados, porque no puedo afirmar haberla leído por completo. Me aburría tanto que me fui saltando muchos momentos. Y ahora no tengo ganas de releer algo a lo que como máximo, le daría dos estrellas. Así que, se lleva una merecidísima estrella, y punto.

Lo que me ha hecho deci
Chel (The Procrastinator's Corner)
Original post here.

After reading Elizabeth Scott's Bloom, I have lost faith in perfect boyfriends. But The Stillburrow Crush brought that faith back! I know popular jocks with perfect academic status, perfect family, perfectly handsome face and a characteristic of a perfect gentleman sounds boring. Scott's image of a perfect boyfriend has tattooed on my mind that they are annoying and not fun. They're not even swoon-worthy. But oh, The Stillburrow Crush's Luke Carter has all the characteristics
Me-an
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it

It's one thing when a boy writes a letter. Another when he turns it into a song. And a whole lot more when it involves poetry.

This is a pretty good book. A light read yet so full and heavy at the same time. There may be some parts where I
Kai
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tin
Shelves: teens, favorites
Amber
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think The Stillburrow Crush will be one of those reads most people overlook. I know I did the first time I saw it on a tour site, but I decided to give it a try. I'm a sucker for a small town story. I can't help it. I'm from one. Some people might find things in books about small midwestern towns cliché, but all those clichés are pretty accurate. Stillburrow had the hometome vibe going on throughout the whole story, and I really enjoyed it.

Carrie has got to be the most strong willed, stubborn
Karen
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have had this one on my to-read shelf for a while and to be honest I haven't picked it up sooner based on the cover. I got the impression from the cover that this was going to be a teenage girl crushing on the unattainable football jock. This book is so much more than that. Yes, Luke plays football but his sporting prowess is such a small part of his character. He is such a great character and a total sweetheart.

Carrie is also a wonderful character and I loved her voice. She is honest, intell
Haidoulina
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think the writing was a little bit random... There were moments that I was confused with the story because there was no continuity between chapters... It was quite nice story though....
Nathaly Alvarez Jimenez

Este es un libro con la típica historia de la chica normal que se enamora del chico más atractivo, rico y popular de la escuela. Me gustó leerlo. Fue divertido y sin duda me hizo reír y/o sonreír muchas veces.

Carrie Paxton es la clase de chica que siempre tiene algo que decir y siempre dice la ultima palabra. Ella nunca se echa atrás y siempre esta lista para responder a cualquier cosa con una respuesta ingeniosa.

Sin embargo, la única cosa que realmente me molestó de ella fue lo mucho que se p
Karla
4 Stars! Well rounded YA read. Although there is a sweet romance lurking in the background, at the heart of the book is a journey about muddling your way through those awkward teen years.

It starts out rather somber and then flashes back to the circumstances and life-changing events that bring us to this moment. Although it doesn’t directly involve the main characters, Carrie and Luke, they are part of this situation by association. It was a pretty good in depth popular boy falls for plain Jane r
J.A. Saare
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this fantastic story in one sitting. The writing is sharp, the characters are wonderful, and there is just enough emotion and depth to tug at your heart.

When the story begins, you're not sure what to expect. Told through the voice of Carrie -- a smart, intelligent, and sassy teenager -- there are no blinds housing the windows. She's blunt, she's honest, and deep down, she's insecure. Although she tries to mask her inner wants, she's unable to when Lucas, the poster boy of her small t
Bethany
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bethany by: Laura
The Stillburrow Crush takes place in a small town in the Midwest. Stillburrow is one of those towns that are a little behind in the times. Carrie is a spit fire, she isn’t afraid to speak her mind and tell you how it is. Her smart mouth had me cracking up. Then there is Luke, he was such a sweet heart. He had me literally swooning over him. He might have been the only person to really understand and get Carrie, which made me crush on him more. The Stillburrow Crush was a really sweet story that ...more
Gale
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Stillburrow Crush: A novel about an imperfect, presumptuous, insecure and frustrating girl. Her name was Carrie. She possessed these characteristics yet that was what made me closer to her. She had her flaws but Carrie didn't try to hide it. She was honest, caring and strong-willed. I love her straightforward attitude and overall personality. I thought Stillburrow Crush was just one of those forbidden relationship romance novels. Surprisingly, it was more than that. Issues about gossip, fami ...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Not too bad...

I enjoyed this book. It was a bit predictable, and a little cheesy, but it was good enough for me to finish the whole book. I liked how the main female MC didn't really hide her feelings. She laid everything out in the open and didn't really care about the reaction of others, or their thoughts. The romance was cute! I recommend this book you're looking for a quick read that will make you smile and blush.
Fanny
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Estaba buscando un libro sencillo y sin mucho drama para leer una tarde aburrida cuando me encontre este libro en un blog y decidi darle una oportunidad. Sinceramente me esperaba mas de la historia, pero el libro cumple su proposito de ser entretenido sin grandes problemas. Me gusto, es perfecto para una tarde. Lo que mas me gusto de el libro fueron las escenas entre Carrie y Luke, son divertidisimas y muy dulces.
3.5 Estrellas!!
Sophie
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I expected just another OMG-he-is-so-hot story but this novel has so much more depth than that. I absolutely loved Carrie, the main character. She's strong and fearless and not afraid to speak her mind, even as she's overwhelmed by her feelings for Luke. The story takes a tragic turn--and it's not an exaggeration to say that the town of Stillburrow is changed forever--but I'm very glad I picked up Carrie and Luke's story.
Christine
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I loved the story. Even though initially I thought that Carrie was being difficult with Luke, after time I understood her insecurities.
My only complaint...I wish we got an epilogue or what I would really want is a sequel. I want to know what happened after Luke and Carrie went to college. I want to know how Marty and E.T. are doing. I just want more!!!
Anjali
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A really sweet and cute lovestory. The surprise was that it was not just a story of the highschool star QB falling for the spitfire sassy plain jane but also delved into deeper waters like the social setups of smalltowns and how this can lead to tragedies.
I enjoyed reading this short sweet read from Linda Kage
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
It is a fun, light read that will really capture your attention and distract you from reality.
I was a little confused by the story sometimes.I definitely think that you should check this book out it may not be as great as I expected but it wasn't bad.
Kath S
Another stupid love story.
Nitzan Schwarz
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON AFTERWORDS!

So, deciding to read this book didn't come easy. It was back when I'd just started reading contemporary books, and while it did sound like something I might like based on the other contemporaries I tried, the rating on GR wasn't that high, and some of the reviews I had read (and one particular spoiler that was totally out of context) made me hesitant.

But eventually, I decided to give it a shot. And good thing I did, because I really enjoyed this book!

"You have
What's the Name o...: YA romance, high school, she needs help in maths, friend called ET [s] 6 108 Apr 01, 2014 01:00PM
Anything similar? 31 67 Aug 16, 2013 03:07AM
  • The Unofficial Zack Warren Fan Club (Unofficial #1)
  • The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5)
  • So Over You
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
  • The Wrong Path
  • Dream Chaser
  • Cinderella in Cleats (Cinderella #1)
  • Out at Home
  • His Eyes
  • Fantasy Football
  • The Boyfriend League
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Never Say Never
  • The Boyfriend Thief (Stolen Kiss, #1)
  • His Kiss
  • Geek Girl
  • Pretend (Pretend, #1)
  • Caleb + Kate
Linda... Writes romance fiction from YA to adult, contemporary to fantasy. Most Kage stories lean more toward the lighter, sillier side with a couple meaningful moments thrown in. Focuses more on entertainment value and emotional impact than anything too realistic.

Lives with hubby, two daughters, cat Holly, and nine cuckoo clocks in southeast Kansas, USA. Farm girl. Parents were dairy farmers. Was
More about Linda Kage
“Sometimes, the Lord just takes blessed people because they've filled their purpose early. Everyone plays their own song. They sing their story to the world and leave behind a melody of memories. Sometimes... their song is cut short and ends too early. But that doesn't mean their music was any less sweet or that they left any less of an impression.” 111 likes
“Get a crush on the best looking, most popular, rich boy in school. How original.” 52 likes