Start by marking “Saturdays and Teacakes” as Want to Read:
Saturdays and Teacakes

Saturdays and Teacakes

"When I was nine or ten years old I couldn't wait for Saturdays."
In this poetic memory, a young boy rides his bicycle every Saturday up and down country roads past farms, a graveyard, and a filling station, until he reaches his beloved Mammaw's house. She is waiting for him. While she picks tomatoes, he pushes the lawnmower through the dew-wet grass. Afterwards, he always
Published March 1st 2004 by Peachtree Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Saturdays and Teacakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturdays and Teacakes

Start your review of Saturdays and Teacakes
Haley
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book very much. When I read it, I felt like I was transported through time to simpler era. The language in the book made it seem so real and familiar to me. The narrator mentions pedaling his bike past the Phillips 66 station, and I can immediately picture it in my mind. The dialogue between the boy and his Mammaw is one aspect that makes this book feel authentic:

"Look in the Frigidaire (that’s what she called her refrigerator) and find me two sticks of Blue Bonnet."
I can
Stevie Garland
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everybody loves their grandmother. We all have memories of special things we used to do with our grandparents and how they made us feel. The young narrator in this book pedals excitedly to his grandmothers house where he goes every Saturday to make teacakes, not only are they making sweet treats, but sweet ,memories as well. Every time I read this book I picture my grandmother and I cooking every Sunday. This book is a great read with wonderful illustrations.,
Lilla
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A lovely tribute to someone who was clearly cherished.
Madison Fender
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This story is about a young boy who rides his bicycle to his Maw-maws house every Saturday. He gives descriptive sentences explaining how he got there and all of the pedaling that he had to complete in order to get to her house. Once he got there, his Maw-maw asked him to get outside to start up the yard work while she prepared the tomatoes from the garden for their lunch. When he completed the yard work, she made him lunch and they decided to make some teacakes for dessert. The boy help
Tailore Moore
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Saturdays and Teacakes is about a young boy who pedals his bike across town every Saturday morning to spend the day with his grandmother (Mammaw) at her house. Once he gets there, they have breakfast before he mows the lawn while she tends to the plants in her garden. After the chores are done, the boy and his Mammaw sit on the porch swing and have fresh tomato sandwiches while they relax. Before the boy leaves, they make fresh teacakes that he gets to eat before taking the rest home.

The major t
Taylor Nelson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Summary:
This book is about a boy who rides his bike every Saturday to go and see his Mammaw (grandma). The book gives an in depth description of his route to his grandmother’s house. Every Saturday his grandmother is sitting on the front porch in a rocker waiting for him to arrive. The book describes what they had to eat and drink, the boy mowing the grass, and making teacakes. Overall this book describes the boy’s visit with his grandmother, which gives the reader a glimpse into the life of so
Sydney Chassion
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-1-10
Summary:
A grown man recalls going to his grandmother's house every Saturday as a kid. He remembers riding his bike the long trek, through town and past the gas station. He remembers his grandmother making him a classic southern breakfast, going out and picking tomatoes from her garden, and using them to make lunch. He remembers baking teacakes with her, and all of the wonderful things that he did with his MawMaw.

Evaluation:
This book was a simple story, but it showed a very well developed narrati
Sabrina Valenti
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic
This book is about a man remember back when he was a young boy. He would ride his bike every Saturday to his grandma's house. He would ride all through the town to get there. Once he got there, him and his grandma would make teacakes from scratch. They would then sit and enjoy them together.

This is a very sweet book about a relationship between a boy and his grandmother. The story is very warm and touching. The illustrations in this book are incredible, they almost look like pictures. This book
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: This classic book tells the routine of the author himself as a young boy who visits his grandmother every Saturday for visiting, work, and of course, teacakes.
Evaluation: This heartfelt story is well illustrated and the text captivates the entire audience with the first sentence. It is extremely easy to visualize the events using Laminack’s amazing storytelling and can be used to teach students about voice inflection and fluency when reading aloud.
Teaching Idea: Using this text as a m
Jenese Wilson
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 30-own-choice
I loved this book because of one, the illustrations that filled up the page and two, because of the story. I could relate to the boy going to this grandmother's house because I visit my grandma frequently and we would always go shopping, cook, clean, and watch tv together. This would be such a great book to read aloud to children.
Mayra Martinez-Rosales
This book has several instances of repetition of words and of events. For those that have memories with their grandparents, it would be a good book that reminds students of those memories and could get students talking about their own experiences with the grandparents. It is also a good book to use in lessons about writing narratives because it has a clear setting and main characters.
Karsyn VonEgidy
This book was very relatable. It was about a little boy who visits his grandmother every Saturday, and the process of how he gets there and what they do. It makes you think of your own experiences with you grandparents, and how it is important to remember the little things.
Ashley Zink
The most striking thing about this book to me were the illustrations. The watercolor paintings were simply stunning. I also loved the simplicity of the story. It was so touching, personal, and relatable. 1st-5th
Sherry Scheline
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am reading through an article about 59 best kids books from each state. This book is Alabama. I would love to read this book for a story time and enjoy tea cakes right after. Deliciousness. Overall it was a great little story.
Karina
This book has good illustrations. It also has repetitive text, making it easy for students to catch on. It's a realistic book, so it can help students think about something they do every weekend with their family or a family member and write about it.
Hannah
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this sweet memoir about a little boy and his special Saturday tradition serving his grandma and baking tea cakes.
Caitlyn Hanley
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to have the opportunity to connect with because most students have the ability to connect with it!
Melanie Patrick
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mentor text - figurative language, series of events and timeline writing with description.
Natalie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It reminded me of my childhood, and the artwork was phenomenal!
Katie Kleeberger
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-choice
Tells of a young boy visiting his grandparents. Shows students how to use transitional words to move the story along, process of getting to his grandparents.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review...

Summary

Theme

Personal response

Recommendation statement
Kimberly
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awwwww. This is a really lovely, special story. I loved the illustrations. They were hyperrealistic but still soft around the edges, like a memory. Grandparents are such special people. <3 ...more
Courtney McGrath
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-students
Another great mentor texts for our personal narrative unit. Students had to be actively listening for how the author stretched their memory & added details! ...more
Allen
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This brings back lots of memories of my grandma.
Andrew Spence
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: choice-book
This book reminds me of the days when I used to go to my grandmothers house to help her with yard work in exchange for delicious food. However, I did not have to travel through town on a bike like he did.
Jennifer Godfrey
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-1-20
Summary: This book is about a young boy who spends his day making Teacakes with his grandmother. The book goes through the different phases of making teacakes. It starts out with him riding his bike to his grandmothers house and then they make the dough, they role it out and cut out the teacakes. He then enjoys his teacakes with his grandmother and takes the rest home with him in a bag.

Evaluation:The author uses the readers senses including smell, sight, touch and hearing to describe what the m
Hana Sm.
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love "good ol' boy" "feel good" books like this. If you read the title page, you will discover that this story is based on the author's childhood in Heflin Alabama. The dialogue (words) in the story remind me of The Beverly Hillbillies. No offense to anyone.

This 29 page story is about a 10-year-old looking boy who visits "Mammaw" every Saturday. "Mammaw" is his grandmother who's a widow. Every Saturday morning the boy's mom lets him pedal pedal pedal up & down dirt roads on his bicycle for mi
Kayla
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Saturdays and Teacakes is a book we listened to as Lester L. Laminack read to us. It is a book that talks about a boys Saturday journey. It takes you through the events in his life where he travels to his grandmother's house on Saturdays to help her mow the lawn and work around the yard. The boy travels through the town and through the country all the way to his grandmother's house and every Saturday they have the same ritual where they have taken time for one another to bond, share, and love ea ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-04-08
This story, told in the voice of a nine- or ten-year-old boy, tells of his weekly trip to his grandmother's home, where she waits for him on her front porch with a cup of coffee. They enjoy a simple breakfast, he cuts her grass, and together they bake teacakes for him to eat. The rituals of time spent together, chores performed lovingly, and shared food sustain their relationship in a sweet and beautiful way.

The story is rich in tactile sensations and concrete details, grounding the narrator in
Macy
Nov 06, 2014 added it
" Saturdays and Teacakes" written by Lester L. Laminack and illustrated by Chris Soentpiet, is a story about a boy who lives in a small town and proceeds to ride his back to his grandma's house every Saturday. His grandma always has plans for the two of them while the boy is over. The grandma has delicious food and drinks for the boy, but also makes him work in the yard and bake with her while he is there.

The illustrations in this book are very realistic. They look like they are actually painte
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Each Kindness
  • Peter's Chair
  • Verdi
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Other Side
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Bigmama's
  • Trouble with Trolls
  • All Are Welcome
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
Lester L. Laminack is Professor Emeritus from department of Birth-Kindergarten, Elementary and Middle Grades Education, at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina where he received two awards for excellence in teaching [the Botner Superior Teaching Award and the Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award]. Lester is now a full-time writer and consultant working with schools through ...more

News & Interviews