Start by marking “Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time” as Want to Read:
Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time

Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time

TRAGEDY AND HOPE shows the years 1895-1950 as a period of transition from the world dominated by Europe in the nineteenth century to the world of three blocs in the twentieth century. With clarity, perspective, and cumulative impact, Professor Quigley examines the nature of that transition through two world wars and a worldwide economic depression. As an interpretative his ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by G. S. G. & Associates, Incorporated (first published January 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Tragedy and Hope, please sign up.
stef Check out tragedyandhope.com to see what you could be missing. The website is run by Richard grove. He has a team put together to verify uncensored co…moreCheck out tragedyandhope.com to see what you could be missing. The website is run by Richard grove. He has a team put together to verify uncensored copies. The website can tell you if you have the uncensored copy or not. (less)

Start your review of Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time
Manny
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in modern history
Recommended to Manny by: Bird Brian
This gigantic book - 1350 pages! - reminds me in an odd way of Roger Penrose's almost equally massive The Road to Reality, which I read last year. In both cases, we have an unusually gifted person, who sets out to present an integrated overview of an entire field. For Penrose, it's modern physics; for Quigley, it's world history during the period from 1895 to 1960. In both cases, we soon discover that the author has a highly non-standard but strangely persuasive view of their respective subject, ...more
uosɯɐS
I think I first found out about this book from a footnote in a John Taylor Gatto book. Somehow, I got the impression that this was "THE" go-to history book to explain conspiracy theories. ("I got the book, I got the book to tell what they been DOIN' to us all!" - angry mob guy from the movie Rigoletto). A bit of searching on the internet seems to confirm that many people view it this way as well, though I also quickly got the impression that most people don't read T&H, but another book that quot ...more
Philana Walker
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-lost-years
This book covers 15o years (up to the 1960s) of social development that Quigley associates with the rise of positions of power in the western world. As daunting a book as it may seem, it is one that must be read. Power, economic influence, globalism and the transnational forms of government. If you can get your hands on it, read it.
Marks54
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book still gets a lot of interest, even though Quigley has been dead for over 40 years. Perhaps, his mention by Bill Clinton in his inaugural address has maintained interest. There have been other drivers of interest for Quigley (and this volume) as well, not all of them laudable or fair.

I rated the book highly because of the impact it (and the class for which it was read) has had on me. To this this day, I vividly remember Quigley's classes (five semesters) as if they were yesterday. The a
Donna
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All US citizens who want to know how we got into this mess
Recommended to Donna by: Honestly forget now, it was a book, however
I read this back in the early 90's. I was lucky to get it on interlibrary loan, as it was out of print then. I'm so glad it is back in print now. It is essential reading if you want to know more about what happened and who caused it to happen. I'm looking forward to reading it again.
Liquidlasagna
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William Carroll Quigley (1910-1977) was professor of history at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service, where he taught an influential course, "The Development of Civilization" (summarized in his book The Evolution of Civilizations).

Quigley proposed an original and well-defined model of civilizations and the distinct stages through which they evolve.

In this model, a civilization is "a producing society that has writing, city life, and an economic instrument of expansion".

It evolves th
Diana (Bever) Barber
Why do they call it Conspiracy THEORY when there are books like this on the market? Carroll Quigley (mentor to Bill Clinton and others) is unapologetic in his socialistic/neoMarxist/fascistic leanings. He details how socialists and others have and are taking away our freedoms and why. WOW! This book is an eye-opener. I wish I had a personal copy of it (I had checked it out through inter-library loan).
Sara
Feb 14, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Totally looking forward to reading this.
Kenneth
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Often the favorite of conspiracy quacks in the US.

Read just the other day that there is a difference thinking that history has conspiracies & thinking that history is a conspiracy.

I think the latter is an important consideration to think about.

I don't think that the "&" on the cover page of the present edition was always in "purgatory pink" for instance.

Written in 1966 Quigley was supposedly a political insider with the Rhodes scholar people. Clinton is said to have cited him for influence.

I
Bob Bingham
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Frankly, a disappointing book. For all its bulk and the hype surrounding it, this is definitely not an insider's look at how the "Eastern Establishment" operates. Rather, it is one professor's rather slanted interpretation of world history from about 1890 through 1963. Professor Quigley ran out of invectives to hurl at Joe McCarthy, but utters barely a whisper about Harry Hopkins (close adviser to FDR) and other players who likely had more long term influence (and did more damage) than McCarthy. ...more
Veronica
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, history
This is a massive beast of a book covering world history from roughly early 19th century through the early 1960's. Though I had to force myself to focus by setting a minimum page requirement to read per day, it was very interesting and I learned a lot, broadening my knowledge base on certain subjects and revealing my near complete lack of knowledge on others, one of which is economics. Hard work to get through, but worth it.
Andy Raptis
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great book, not without its weaknesses, especially in the second half with the endless anticommunist ravings. It's quite annoying when the only types of atrocities the writer condemns are the ones done by communists, while others, such as the purges in Indonesia, are barely mentioned.
Another thing I didn't like were the last few chapters where the author switches from warfare and economics to psychology of the masses. The chapters about the American middle class and the battle of the sexes are
Monica Perez
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is THE book that explains the grand conspiracy. I don't normally go for the intellectual over analysis of social phenomena, but this book is actually a fascinating, comprehensive overview of a history in our time as the subtitle promises. But what made this book famous - or infamous - is how this establishment insider, Georgetown professor Carroll Quigley, tells all about the conspiracy to establish the second coming of the British Empire, albeit under the radar. Quigley names names, dates, ...more
Chris Dietzel
Aug 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'm tapping out on this one. I thought maybe if I took a break from it I might regain some enthusiasm but nope. This is like reading a really thorough encyclopedia. It's not fun. It's so dense you don't retain any of the info.
Jerry
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Quigley taught at Georgetown, after a long career that involved him behind the scenes in international bidniss. His perspective is often financial, but his insights are crisp and amazing.

This book changed my perspective on history in some interesting ways.

Oh, one of his students was a young Bill Clinton.
Mad Russian the Traveller
I just added this to my "to read" list, however stuff like the following may cause me to have some disagreement with this book:

"while the Right follows the Manichaean doctrine imported into Christianity by Saint Augustine (evil is a positive force, and man needs strong external discipline to protect him from it)"

Danny
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You're not gonna find a better history book. Leave's "The People's History of the United States" in the dust.
Jay D
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I have 8 lectures on the totality of this work at my site and on YouTube.
James
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
So far I am a little short of halfway through this tome. I find it very interesting at some points, yet very boring because the economics of it is a bit overwhelming. At the same time it is very interesting where the politics and history of it are giving me a perspective I never really saw before. Of course I do realize that economics and economic policy is what drives a lot of history and motivates politicians to do what they do but that still does not change the fact that as much as I try to u ...more
Scot León Pfuntner
Excellent as a history lesson of the world conflicts and societal environment between 1860 and 1960ish. However, I only give it three stars because of the obvious slant of the author toward international intervention in global problems. Quigley adopts the world view of secular humanists that man is basically good and a little lower than a god in the universal hierarchy of authority. Therefore, humans should be able to control and perfect our environment, international relationships, inter-ethnic ...more
Olivia
Jan 29, 2008 added it
I am reading this book aloud with Evan!

Quigley was BClinton's , or old-blue-eyes, as I like to call him, mentor. What an ambish book, trying to cover "world history in our time" This book is dense as War and Peace, and War What Is It Good For.

I am only reading parts of it; we are on page 532,372 and the topic is McCarthyism and the Cold War. If you are knowledgeable about this McCarthyism topic, or history in general, let's talk!

I would like to compare Quigley's finance and detail heavy text on
Herrholz Paul
A book with the title 'History of the world' deserves to be treated with caution. What I am finding with this particular book is that the parts of history that it handles give me the feeling that they are momentous and very significant. It is also well written with a logical intuitive style which helps me take on the material. I have been choosing parts which interest me most rather than reading from start to finish but find myself reading all of the remaining parts as the educational value cont ...more
Brad Jensen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
You must read this book. But in order to understand the full magnitude of the information contained within you need to forget most of your previously help views and beliefs of history, economics, social studies, technology, phycology, and geopolitics, as they are most likely colored or flat out false. This tome exposes the mechanisms of the true power structure that has driven the world and has for the last 200+ years.
Jason
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The neoisolationists have taken over and Quigley's rolling in his grave. Let's hope 50 million people won't die again as we transition from the 20th to the 21st Century.
Jarrad Klapko
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this if you want to shatter your perception of how the world works. Also good for inducing sleep.
Robert
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the finest books ever. You MUST read this book. Quigley explains it all. He GETS it.
Aljan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mind numbingly boring.
Nicholas Maulucci
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
comprehensive history book of the 20th century until 1965 or so. History deep and wide. Wow. Recommended for hardcore historians who have discernment.
R.J.Cicisly Jr.
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Sessions
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The boldest truths detailed by the clearest intelligence, Professor Quigley identifies the interests behind the events.
The influence of international banking is revealed, including a system of undemocratic central banks controlling the availability of money to the world's economies and governments.
The crucial supporters and major beneficiaries of Hitler's Reich are shown to be capitalists--German, British, and American--eager to smash labor unions, socialism and Soviet communism.
American Cold-

• Viktor Frankl: A Life Worth Living
  • Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler
  • The Ice Palace
  • Bernice Bobs Her Hair
  • The Portrait of Mr. W. H.
  • The Diamond as Big as the Ritz
  • Sex and Culture
  • Renegade, or Halo2
  • Flat Earth News: An Award-Winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media
  • A Thing Of The Moment
  • Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes
  • To Serve Man
American historian and theorist of the evolution of civilizations.

Noted for his teaching work as a professor at Georgetown University, for his academic publications, and for his research on secret societies.

He was an instructor at Princeton and Harvard; a consultant to the U.S. Department of Defense, the House Committee on Astronautics and Space Exploration; and the U.S. Navy.