Start by marking “The Pint Man” as Want to Read:
The Pint Man

The Pint Man

A funny and endearing novel about the comforts of a never-ending adolescence and the glories of Guinness.
For Rodney Poole, a friendly and unassuming lover of clever wordplay and television sports of all stripes, Boyle's Irish Pub is a haven of good cheer, pleasantly pointless conversation, elaborate jokes, heated trivia contests, well-poured pints, and familiar faces. The
Published February 23rd 2010 by Doubleday Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Pint Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pint Man

Ken
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ted.

The Pint Man is a date movie for guys. Paradoxical as that may seem, that's the best way I can think to describe this novel, which is part frat boy drinking binge, part love story, and all word play. My actual rating for this one is 3.5.

The hero of the story, Rodney Poole begins the story adrift: he's recently lost his job, his best friend is engaged and on the brink of moving to Chicago, and he still hasn't found someone with whom to settle down. Unsettled, actually, is perhaps the best way to
Sara
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sara by: Bryan
Shelves: 2011, adult-fiction
Rodney's an unemployed man in his 30's who loves wordplay and grammar, spends all his free time at a local bar called Boyle's, and is interested in a woman his best friend set him up with on a blind date. This book covers probably two weeks of his life, starting when he first meets Mairead (the love interest) and continuing through problems the two of them face, as well as problems Rodney has with his best friend, who's currently crashing at his apartment.

I think I would have liked this novel a
Susan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The protagonist and author both have a deep love of the English language and all the ways it can be the ultimate playground for those with clever brains. Extremely fun to read. But what's even better, there's a well-thought out, deeply human narrative that lifts the book above mere gimmickry.
Ryan
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish, laugher
To label this book "Irish" is a bit of a stretch. Much of the book, as you'd gather from the title, takes place in various pubs Irish in nature. Of sorts. Close enough for me, then.

I'd very much like to give this book less than 4 stars. In many ways it's the ramblings of a literary nut. Each page is crafted with the special care of a gifted wordsmith. If you could diagnose a book with ADD, this would be that book. In several ways it drove me bonkers.

Still, I can't deny the fact that this book ma
Janice
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, not because the story was so fantastic, but because of the authors knowledge and skill with word "games." I opened to a random page and here's a fun line.."Her eyes were slick, like freshly Zambonied ice..." Another example " The U-haul had vanished, it had been annihilated--Latin for "something reduced to nothing. Annihilation had ist's antithesis, but that was a tougher trick to pull off: exnihilation -- turning nothing into something." One more to close out and convince you h ...more
Lucas Barrett
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I used to love Steve Rushin's column in sports illustrated. Mr. Rushin's writing talents were evident, and generally good sports writers are know to be good novel writers. This novel didn't disapoint. For the same reasons I enjoyed his column, I enjoyed this book. It was witty, funny, full of wordplay and really showed off his literary talents. I give the book 4 stars instead of 5 because it is not for everyone, namely haters of puns. Otherwise, it is an entertainig ...more
Alicia
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Steve Rushin's columns in Sports Illustrated, and I'm impressed that he's married to Rebecca Lobo, but I'm not sure he's a great novelist. The book was entertaining enough. My husband enjoyed it more than I did. It's definitely a man's book. But it's a quick and light read. Nothing earth-shattering. It's primarily about beer and dive bars, after all.
Earle Maxwell
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
A Beer soaked romp through several days in the life of a loveable, 30-something, loser. Filled with trvial factoids about sports and booze, a great read for anyone wondering "what do I do now?" or "am I the only loser this is happening to?"

Good stuff.
Anna
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended for the academic alcoholic / alcohol aficianado in you (or, anyone who simply enjoys a fun "manly" read rife w/ witty repertoire).
Brian Edeker
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beer, Bros, bars, and New York City.
Robert
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Pint Man is the first novel by Steve Rushin, a former long-time columnist for Sports Illustrated. For anyone who read his columns, they knew of Steve’s love of wordplay. That love continues in Rushin’s first novel.

Like many first time novelists, Rushin writes what he knows, which usually makes the writing semi-autobiographical. Rodney Poole, the book’s protagonist, is clearly based on the author himself, a quiet but quick-witted aspiring writer. Rushin skewers this in fact in one of the best
Paul Pessolano
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rodney Poole is thirty-five, out of a job, and he has little if any ambition. He is a regular at Boyles, a local pub that allows him to join in trivial conversation, trivia contests, elaborate jokes, and a well-poured "pint".

His best friend, Keith, is moving to Chicago and will soon be married. Rodney must now take a deeper look at his life. He is faced with the reality of being single, unemployed, middle-aged, and losing his drinking buddy.

Rodney has been set up with a blind date. Mairead comes
Joey Meister
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very funny yet poignant book whose author is a great artist of wordplay.

The main character, Rodney, finds comfort in a local bar that shelters him from the reality of being in his 30's without a job, spouse nor the slightest hint of a desirable future. Rodney is further challenged to reflect upon his station in life, as his drinking-buddy and best friend Keith is leaving town to be wed.

Through very clever manipulation and juxtaposition of the English language, Rodney finds himself coming-of-ag
Edwin Arnaudin
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
The wordplay, references, and similarities to *gulp* myself should be enough to push The Pint Man into 5-star territory, but so little actually happens that it less a novel than a collection of amusing thoughts. Still, it's one of the funnier novels you'll read and the meditations on Guinness, double entendres, palindromes, pub life, literature, friendship, and compatibility are sure to connect with anyone who's had a good pint over a crossword puzzle.
Michael  Malone
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Rushin is a fantastic writer and was the best sports columnist in the game for years, but his novel, while funny and well written, is underwhelming. If you take away the wordplay on every page--and some of it is very funny--you're left with a plot that's thinner than an American lager: boy likes girl, boy hopes to someday write a novel. Witty and likeable, but hardly memorable.
Rick
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book when it first came out because the author was coming to our store for a signing and I was happy I did. Nicely written with characters you can relate to- guy like all of us trying to get through the day without screwing up too much. Supposedly Mr. Rushin is working on his second novel. I can't wait!
Judi
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was a look at the connectedness between people and their worlds and the role friends, jobs, alcohol, etc play I enjoyed the author's love of words and the wordplay throughout the book.at times it, the wordplay, seemed a bit overdone but not enough to spoil the book.
Mike
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remembered Rushin from my youth spent reading Sports Illustrated. The book is an easy read filled with clever word-play. Almost as if he has been constructing this story around puns and nerd-jokes for his entire life. Worth the wait.
Chris
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This began as a slacker novel, but had a happy ending. This is the temptation too many American writers succumb to, both in books and other media. Having said that, this wasn't too bad. It was competently written, with real characters who do stupid things because they are human and frail.
Greg
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A delightful read that had me laughing out loud in too many places to mention. The only other person I've ever encountered who's made the observation that if you read too long on the toilet your foot will fall asleep.
Libby
Jan 03, 2014 added it
(P) Not very good. I didn't even feel good enough about this book to give it to somebody else after I was done with it. The author tried WAY too hard to be clever with the words. There were too many metaphors, etc. The "witty" banter was exhausting.
Shahrun
Apr 16, 2012 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rick
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A man I'd drink with any day.
(and his lovely wife, too)
Andrea
May 25, 2013 added it
Shelves: fiction
Read this one with beer. It just felt wrong when I tried not to.
Joan Michalcik Fox
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Clever and funny. If you're not familiar w the author's SI and WNBA connection, look him up on Wikipedia for some insight.
Michael Stefanowicz
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read - funny - witty
Rachel
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a lip-smacking read for anyone who loves words. Rushin is a consummate language trickster, and in this novel manages to balance indulging his whims with advancing a sweet, nuanced story.
Nathaniel Weiner
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Word Smith
Davehbo
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Outstanding wordsmithing. Super fun light read. I'd read his next book for sure.
Jane
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun read but not crazy about the ending.
  • The truth about love
  • The Coward's Tale
  • Odessa: Genius and Death in a City of Dreams
  • Half Life
  • Postcards from a Dead Girl
After graduating from Bloomington Kennedy High School in 1984 and Marquette University in 1988, Rushin joined the staff of Sports Illustrated. Over the next 19 years, he filed stories from Greenland, India, Indonesia, the Arctic Circle and other farflung locales, as well as the usual nearflung locale to which sportswriters are routinely posted.

His first novel, The Pint Man, was published by Doubl
“At that hour, a shaft of sunlight shone through stained glass. Which is to say, windows whose glass was comprehensively stained—by a double-glazing of nicotine and automotive exhaust, and the secondhand smoke of a half-century of bullshit.” 0 likes