Start by marking “Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  483 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
In 1987, Rita, newly divorced, set out to live her dream. She sold all her possessions and became a nomad. She wrote a book about her ongoing journey and, in 2001, insisted on putting her personal e-mail address in the last chapter—against all advice. It turned out to be a fortuitous decision. She has met thousands of readers, stayed in their homes, and sat around kitchen ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Broadway Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Female Nomad and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Female Nomad and Friends

Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
My friend, Asa, told me that she contributed a story to this novel about her first Thanksgiving experience, Texas-style, as a Swedish Exchange student. It's always very interesting to read someone's first reactions to a country's customs.

The book is full of Vignettes so you can read the book at your own pace. The stories range the full gambit, some made me laugh and some were very sad. There was so sugar coating, just real-life experiences.
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not exactly a sequel to “The Female Nomad,” this book is a compilation of ultra-short stories by Rita Gelman and 40 other women with unusual travel stories to tell. Ms. Gelman spends most of her time traveling alone, with no permanent address. She requested that other women travelers send her stories for this volume, using a food theme to unify the stories. Some of the stories are well written, and many are interesting. Some are not that great, but since they’re ultra-short, each one is over in ...more
Mar 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Look, I give up- this was awful. Yes, the profits from this book go to a good cause; yes, travel is exciting; yes, this was still an absolutely horrible book. Some of the stories don't even have anything to do with the themes of travel- how is getting a free ice cream from Trader Joe's anything but a free advertisement for Trader Joe's? How is tutoring a kid in Harlem a story of travel? The stories were occasionally interesting, but more often than not boring or borderline offensive to natives. ...more
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely Travel book/journal i love wandering with them - and impressed by their bravery and intent as they went. I have traveled so much when i was younger and love to read this genre of book,so i can go as well.
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
At first I appreciated the super-short stories as a break from the (enjoyable but still a) slog of Hamilton. But the writing is very uneven, and the pieces are SO short that you don't get any depth or sense of any given writer's personal journey - just kinda repetitive vignettes that too often circle back to the theme of a Western author's passing encounter with The Other. I would have appreciated hearing more from the other side of that equation. It may have also just been the wrong time for me ...more
Artemisia Hunt
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
In her original Tales of a Female Nomad, Rita Golden Gelman started with a powerful premise: how would it be to travel the world in a spirit of complete trust and openness, connecting deeply with people one meets along the way and allowing experiences to develop freely and randomly along the way? As the logical sequel to this, Female Nomad and Friends is a compilation of stories contributed by a variety of other travelers who read Gelman's original book and applied the same principle to their ow ...more
Julie B
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick read, a few truly heartwarming tales. Good recipes. Fun little book to spark some wanderlust
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
I loved Female Nomad. I dreamed about chucking it all and traveling around the world to learn different languages, eat local food and live with the natives. When I saw Gelman had written another book, I expected to hear more about her travels and be able to live vicariously. Unfortunately, that's not what I got.

This is a collection of essays paired with recipes. The problem is that Gelman solicited essays from other travelers, which wouldn't have been a bad thing... Except not all of the contrib
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
LOVED this author's first book. I was hoping this was a sequel. It's not. So you don't get an update on what the author has been up to since her first book. This is instead a bunch of short stories that were submitted to her website detailing women who have challenged themselbes to step outside theur comfort zones and made an attempt to connect with the outside world. They are nice stories, they're interesting to read. But they are short. You will not read anything very deep here. Nothing that y ...more
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
2.5 stars, almost gave it 2 stars.

I was disappointed from beginning to end. I was expecting stories from women around the world about their cultures, and instead the book contains stories of American, European, etc. women stumbling around other cultures. Some of the stories were cute, but few had any real substance. And at the end of each story, there was a description of the story's author, their blog, book(s) written, etc. A short description would have been fine, but it felt more like a comm
A series of vignettes combining travel and food - what's not to like? I loved RGG's first book, Tales of A Female Nomad (much more sincere and touching that Eat Pray Love). This second book presents stories from fellow travelers (99.9% westerners and 98% women) from around the world wherein the act of cooking or eating play a central role. Recipes are included, many of which sound great and I will put to the test. Only 3 stars because some of the stories fell flat. A nice counter balance to west ...more
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I previously read Rita Golden Gelman's "Tales of a Female Nomad". I found that to be an outstanding read. Her new book "Female Nomad and Friends" is a book of short travel stories "Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World". Many of the short stories were accompanied by a recipe. The book served me well as I read it while on two seven hour flights - to and from Portugal. I could read and sleep between stories. I am holding on to this least until I have tried some of t ...more
Jun 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: very few.
If it weren't for the fact that our book club is going to discuss this tonight, I would never have read past the first couple of stories. As it was, I felt I had to sample throughout the book so as to be able to adequately discuss this book.
When I entered fourth grade, the teacher had the class write individual essays about what they each did the past summer. I was tasked to read several of the stories (smart me, sort of teacher's pet) and found several of them entertaining. In fact, I think we
Melanie  Hilliard
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it

I like the idea of this book, better than the actual stories contained within. I think the fact that it is a book is where it fails. If it were an inspirational blog and I read a new post once a week about somebody, I would have liked it a lot more.

That being said, I'm reminded that there are alternative paths to living. I can travel to new places. I can learn a new language. I can connect with others. It's good reinforcement for those of us who don't want to live in a safe little bubble.
Melanie Rightmyer
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book is a collection of short stories by women around the world. If you enjoy picking up a book and reading a story in a couple of pages then this might be the book for you. Some stories are about travel, most are accounts of people stepping out of their comfort zone, some include a recipe that relates to the story. The proceeds from the book go to a good cause, that would probably be the only reason I would recommend the book.
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an incredible book ... and even more surprisingly, it has recipes in this! Great stories and much better than Ms. Gelman's memoir!

If you are a foodie and have a wanderlust for a soul, this book is PERFECT for you. The short stories are well-written and even more importantly, take you places that you may have or have not heard of and one cannot help but feel the wanderlust stirring in one's soul.
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved the travel aspect of this book. It made me want to get up and go to a foreign land but I feel she didn't share enough of her character. It was another country another observation. I found her quite interesting by the end especially her interaction with her mother and I would like to have seen her open up more.
Sherry Conrad
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the author's first book, Tales of a Female Nomad. Did not enjoy this one as much. This book is a collection of short essays written by a variety of people about their travels and the connections and expereinces they've had along the way. It's a quick read. Has some interesting sounding recipes included to go with some of the stories.
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great short stories from women across different walks of life with stories that traverse the world but bring us closer through our travels and sharing of hearth and home. Am excited to try some of these recipes.

Now I am hungry to travel and explore more of our world myself.
Tried and tried to get through this one but just not in the mood for this type read right now I guess. Would like to pick it up again sometime though - the author emailed me several times and seems like such an active woman of the world.
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
meh. honestly, it kind of bored me, which was disappointing, because I love travel journals. I think the sheer disparate nature of the stories (and the varying quality of the writing) made it hard to her into a rhythm with it.
R. J
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
This title caught my eye at my local library. How could you go wrong with travel tales and recipes? Well some how the stories just didn't draw me in or manage to stick with me. The thing I did like is that all the proceeds of the book are earmarked for scholarships to those in need.
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
How adventurous and bold these world travelers are! I can't imagine living that kind of life, but I truly loved reading about their escapades. Recipes for favorite foods are included too. This was a fun, yet thought-provoking, read.
Marjorie Elwood
The recipes looked pretty tasty but I found the writing very uneven and, for the most part, not terribly good. It's unfortunate, because the cause that Gelman supports ( seems a worthy one.
There were a lot of interesting, funny, worrisome, thoughtful, and appealing experiences in this collection,along with some recipes I'd like to try. Definitely makes me want to put on my traveling shoes!
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, book-club
this collection of essays did just about nothing for me. most of them didn't really seem to have a point, and you never really get to know any of the people, so it's hard to care about anything that's being written about.
Lori Cipro
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Rita Gelman followed up her personal story with this book of short stories by women who have traveled and had various experiences. Some of the stories revolve around food and it contains some recipes. It's a book you can pick up and quickly read a story and they're all touching.
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
While not as wonderful as living at large in the world.... this was a charming read. At the end of each short story were receipes from the country in focus. Loved the last story, written by Rita, about a visit in a Massai village,
Cat Chiappa
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
While I didn't enjoy this book as much as Rita's first Nomad book, it was still a good read. There are lots of wonderful vignettes that evoke very vivid pictures of a myriad of cultures from around the world. I think it is best read in small spurts where you can savor each story individually.
  • Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who Are Changing the World
  • A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Grace Under Pressure: Extreme Etiquette for the Stickiest, Trickiest, Most Outrageous Situations of Your Life
  • River House
  • Breaking Trail: A Climbing Life
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad
  • Tide, Feather, Snow: A Life in Alaska
  • 100 Places Every Woman Should Go
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
  • Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone
  • Postcards from France
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Mutual Consent
  • Whose Panties Are These?: More Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • The Lives of Beryl Markham
  • Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer