Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Power Is Within You” as Want to Read:
The Power Is Within You
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Power Is Within You

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  3,138 ratings  ·  220 reviews
In The Power Is Within You, Louise L. Hay expands her philosophies of loving the self through:
- learning to listen and trust the inner voice;
- loving the child within;
- letting our true feelings out;
- the responsibility of parenting;
- releasing our fear about growing older;
- allowing ourselves to receive prosperity;
- expressing our creativity;
- accepting change as a natura
...more
Paperback, 256 pages
Published December 1st 1991 by Hay House (first published January 1st 1991)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Power Is Within You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power Is Within You

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
4.25  · 
Rating details
 ·  3,138 ratings  ·  220 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Nat K

"...the simple things are usually the most profound."

Sometimes a book politely taps you on the shoulder, and says "here I am". For me, this was the right book at the right time. While "self help" books are no longer new and have become somewhat of an over-inflated phenomenon, it's nice to get back to one from an Author with integrity like Louise Hay.

I've read many of Louise Hay's books over the years, and find that her warmth and empathy shine through. For me, so much of what she writes makes se
...more
Krystal
This is basically a simplistic version of The Power of Your Subconscious Mind so I rather enjoyed it!

The premise itself is simple: Change your thoughts, and you can change your life.

It's about not seeing yourself as a victim but learning from every experience, whether good or bad.

It promotes gratitude, and the notion that what you put out into the universe comes back to you in kind, often magnified. So if you treat people like crap, guess how you're going to be treated?

I love this idea that our
...more
Khenpo Gurudas
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Without question, this is one of the most indispensable books for anyone interested in reclaiming the control over their lives. Like most of her works, Louise brings her clarity, wisdom and consciousness to the reader in a way that makes New Thought accessible and relevant, regardless of one's path, background or spiritual heritage.

Her pragmatic insights, anecdotes and recommendations have been a soource of inspiration and healing for me, and for hundreds of my students.

I've given away dozens of
...more
Bayanola92
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
نجمة مفقودة لكثرة الأخطاء الاملائية
Debbie
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so far so much about myself and my responses or non-responses to the past pain in my life - if you are experiencing depression, addiction, or grieving the loss of a loved-one, this is a book worth reading.
Maria Naydenova
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has given me strength in my life more times than I wish to admit. This time is no different.

This is one of those books that you have to reread periodically in certain stages of your life, just to remind yourself how strong you are and that nothing can actually take you down or make you feel down, despite you - yourself!

I truly believe in the amazing power of positive thinking, although I have to admit, sometimes in life it's just easier to stick to the bad. I'm so glad Louise wrote th
...more
Noor Abu Hassan
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
شكرا لويز هاي ❤
Lulu Lulu
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أنا اعيش في عالم الامكانيات اللامتناهية،أجد الخير اينما اكون
كتاب رووووووعه انصح الكل بقرائته
بل أن يصبح منهج تربوي
Nada AbuHassan
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
شكرا لويز هاي
 أسمى حسن
منذ فترة قصيرة كنت أسأل كل من يقابلني واشعر بأريحية في الحديث معه ، كيف تنفس عن غضبك ؟
وبما أني من الناس الذين يكبتون غضبهم لم أَجِد إجابة مناسبة لديهم .. لكن في هذا الكتاب وجدت ما أبحث عنه.

رائعة لويز هاي وكأني كنت في محادثة خفيفة معها ونحن نتمشى في حديقة خضراء
اعطتني الفكرة المناسبة التي احتجها من خلال عينيها الوردية للحياة ، طبعا وافقتها في أمور .. وأنكرت عليها أمور أخرى
لكن بالأخير استمتعت جدا معها.
Amal
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
من أجمل افتتاحيات الكتب و هي أكثر ما حمسني لاكماله

الكاتبة كانت صادقة جدا في سرد تجربتها و تعلمها لهذه الأساليب التي أوردتها في الكتاب

لم يكن كتابا يغمره التفاؤل بل كان للحزن و للخيبة جزءا كبيرمنه و مع هذا كان لطيفا و إن لم يقدم لي الكثير.
Nourane Khaled
في كتب التنميةالبشرية والـ self-help كل واحد بيشوف الكتاب ويقيمه على حسب تجربته الشخصية
الكتاب جميل وبسيط وواخد موضوعات مختلفة بأمثلة حية ... الموضوعات لمستني بصفة شخصية واستفدت منها جدا ... عجبني في المجمل

"الطبعة دي فيها أخطاء أملائية كتيرة ودي اكتر حاجة كانت مضيقاني"
Naji Albarri
مقدمة الكتاب تُعطي مُرونة في تقبل ما يحتويه أو نقده أو حتى رفضه..
الكتاب على بساطته وعدم عمقه إلا أنه إضافة جيدة لمن يبحث عن فتح الطرق المؤدية إلى ذاته.
يحتوي على نصائح وتعليمات لا يصعب تطبيقها أو الأخذ بها.
قد تكون بعض الفقرات لهجتها سلبية تجاه الأهل، وقد يكون ذلك مستقهما من الكاتبة.. خصوصاً أنها أشارت مراراً وتكراراً لما عانت منه في طفولتها، ولكنها لم تكن سوى كلمات أتت في السياق لا تؤثر على هدف الكتاب ولا تُجبر القارىء أن يقبلها ويعممها.
اضافة جيدة للقارئين في مجال التنمية الذاتية والتنمية البشري
...more
TheGirlWithTheHeartShapedGlasses
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
It was the first book ive read after ages.So it took bit longer to get it and feel it truly.I had misunderstandings and confusion i dont know why because of the translation problems or i couldnt comprehend.This is why this kind of books should be read twice.I love the parts that saying;

1.Look at the mirror and say "I love you" to yourself.
2.Listen more.
3.Realize your strenght parts and enhance it.
4.Don't use negative words,swears.
5.Be thankful to the things you dont like so that there will be so
...more
Margarida
Louise L. Hay é uma autora de livros de desenvolvimento pessoal muito conhecida e cujo método inspira milhões de pessoas por todo o mundo. Assenta numa pedra basilar muito simples: amarmo-nos a nós próprios e difundir esse amor incondicional pelo que nos rodeia. Pensar positivo, ter uma atitude positiva e emocionalmente equilibrada pode ajudar a enfrentar o dia-a-dia com mais serenidade e ajudar a crescer emocional e espiritualmente, a ingressar numa viagem interior gratificante.

"Os astrólogos
...more
حنين نادر
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أقرّ أنّ أفكارها -كما وَصفَتها في ملخص الكتاب- شافية، رسّخت فيّ معاني الحبّ والعطاء اللامحدود وقدرة الإنسان على التغيّر إلى النحو الذي يطمح مهما كان ماضيه، ومهما مرّ بظروف قاسية.
أزعجتني الأخطاء الإملائية وأخطاء الطباعة الكثيرة، لو أُعيدت ترجمة الكتاب بعيداً عن الترجمة الحرفية التي قرأتها؛ لصار أكثر تشويقاً ولكانت الأفكار أكثر ارتباطاً وتسلسلاً.
Leehan
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What i like about Louise Hay books are its simplicity writings and personal feelings i get reading them. I have read " How to Heal Your Life" prior to this and i feel that this book is an extension or a supplement reading to it. I have enjoyed it and i hope you do to.
Patricia Mock
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Louise Hay's books. There are my go to in rough times and they always find me when I need them the most. I believe, if everyone on this planet would read her books, the world would be a better place. Enlightening, powerful and a must- read for everyone.
Sonia
Apr 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Con el 8% de este libro, algo más de 20 páginas, he tenido suficiente para descubrir que se trataba de una sarta de tonterías sin sentido.
La autora hace gala de una diarrea vocal que la lleva a escribir sin orden ni concierto, pasando de un tema a otro, para dejarnos un batiburrillo de ideas deslavazadas de lo que ella debe entender como el sentido de la vida. Escarbando entre tanta frase desordenada se puede llegar a la conclusión de que lo que Louise L. Hay nos quiere vender es lo siguiente:
To
...more
Hitessh Panchal
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay, There are many good tips and many good Affirmations, But one thing that put me off was citing examples about 'Cancer' after every few pages.

If Louise Hay is a believer that , whatever we read, see , and think about is what we attract, this book is going to make many readers cancer prone.

If you can just ignore all those pages that have references to cancer , this is a good book. The Last Few Pages are very well written , especially , the Appendix, where there is a summary of every chapter
...more
swan lake
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars
I started reading this book the day after its writer Louise Hay passed away at (30.8.2017) .. i owned it months before and at that day i felt its time to read her book and revive her soul that lies within the lines she left for us .. it has been with me for three months filling me up with the power of love every time i read it .. Thank u Louise Hay from heart ❤

“You are not here to please other people or to live your lives their way. You can only live it your own way and walk your own
...more
Dawn
4.5 stars. Audio read by the author, Louise Hay. I love her gentle and soothing voice. A companion book of sorts to You Can Heal Your Life as it reaffirms the lessons learned in it and provided you with a few more.
Sandra
Oct 09, 2015 added it
A good friend of mine told me about this book, so I knew more-or-less what to expect. I was vaguely familiar with the idea of affirmations and Louise Hay's methods. I have to say there were portions of this book that seemed a bit far-fetched (e.g. the idea about incarnation), but I decided that I would suspend my disbelief and just let it speak to me in its own way, in its own words. The idea about loving ourselves and garnering the power that is deep within us is not entirely unfamiliar, but th ...more
Angela
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like the person who is Louise Hay. She is a fantastic public speaker, charismatic and relatable, warm and strong. After having listened to one of her CD's my granny lent me this book. Perhaps my expectation was too far removed but I thought the whole thing fluffy and somewhat tiresome to get through. She writes as she speaks, which is fine but not what I was searching for at that particular time.

Her principals are idealistic. A more helpful starting point would be to embrace the negative as we
...more
Sofia Janeiro
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exelente livro como era de esperar, como nada vem ao acaso, os livros da Louise tem um poder vai para além da logica, a minha vontade era comprar o proximo, mas tenho aceitar o desafio que fiz a mim mesma de voltar a ler todos os livros que tenho neste momento, ao menos tenho uma luzinha no darkside da minha mente, quero voltar aos meus antigos dias em que acreditava que o amanhecer era um novo começo. com uma estrelinha a brilhar numa noite que demora a amanhecer é o suficiente para ir em frent ...more
L chemical
قرأت الكتاب باللغه العربيه ، وجدت فيه بعض النرجسيه ، ولكن هذا لا ينافي اُسلوب الكاتبه الرائع في إيصال فكره حب الذات ، لم تكن ماده الكتاب جافه ، شعرت ان ماده الكتاب مكررة ربما بسبب قرائتي لكتب الدكتور ابراهيم الفقي التي تجعل الشخص واثقا بنفسه و لا يحتاج الى نصيحه في حب ذاته ، أصنف هذا الكتاب ضمن الكتب التي قد تنفع لمن هم في بدايه مسيره القراءة ، ثلاث نجمات. ، اثنتان للرائعه لويس ل هاي ، و الثالثه لاقكارها و قوتها في تخطي عقبات حياتها( السرطان و الاعتداء الجنسي)
كل الحب ❤
...more
Karen
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I personally found this book to be very inspirational, it has made me realise how unique, beautiful and powerful we really are. To sum it up, by the end of the book, I felt like the world was my oyster. It is the sort of book that I would read again in the future - and still get something from it.
Maja
The power is within you is like cleaning for the soul.
Even if you don't like or agree with everything she does or thinks, you'll still be touched. I wish everyone would take a day and read this book. You feel positive energy while you reading it.
Séverine
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who have no problem with the New Thought movement
While I enjoyed some of the ideas of Louise Hay, others were a bit strange to me (probably because the author is a member or follower of Religious Science). I still took away some good advice from the book.
Huda  Aldaqqaq
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
the biggest inspiration is here!
I feel really relaxed when I read it!

I liked it all!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • A Deep Breath of Life
  • Alchemy of the Human Spirit: A Guide to Human Transition Into the New Age (Kryon, #3)
  • The Gift of Our Compulsions: A Revolutionary Approach to Self-Acceptance and Healing
  • Falling in Love with Where You Are: A Year of Prose and Poetry on Radically Opening Up to the Pain and Joy of Life
  • Parenting with Presence: Practices for Raising Conscious, Confident, Caring Kids
  • Living with Joy: Keys to Personal Power and Spiritual Transformation
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Path of Empowerment: Pleiadian Wisdom for a World in Chaos
  • Manifest Your Destiny
  • No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life
  • The Law of One: Book II
  • Your Word is Your Wand: A Sequel to the Game of Life and How to Play It
  • Existence
  • The Tapping Solution for Weight Loss  Body Confidence: A Woman's Guide to Stressing Less, Weighing Less, and Loving More
  • Defy Gravity: Healing Beyond the Bounds of Reason
  • Jump...And Your Life Will Appear: An Inch-by-Inch Guide to Making a Major Change
  • We're All Doing Time: A Guide to Getting Free
  • Confidence: Finding It and Living It
1,368 followers
Louise Hay was born to a poor mother who married Hay's violent stepfather. When she was about five, she was raped by a neighbor. At fifteen she dropped out of high school without a diploma, became pregnant, and on her sixteenth birthday gave up her newborn baby girl for adoption.

She moved to Chicago, where she worked in menial jobs, before moving in 1950 to New York. At this point she changed her
...more
“Responsibility is our ability to respond to a situation. We always have a choice.” 14 likes
“When I talk about responsibility, I am really talking about having power. Blame is about giving away one’s power. Responsibility gives us the power to make changes in our lives. If we play the victim role, then we are using our personal power to be helpless. If we decide to accept responsibility, then we don’t waste time blaming somebody or something out there. Some people feel guilty for creating illness, or poverty, or problems. They choose to interpret responsibility as guilt. (Some members of the media like to refer to it as New Age Guilt.) These people feel guilty because they believe that they have failed in some way.” 12 likes
More quotes…