Start by marking “The Happy Prince and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Happy Prince and Other Tales

The Happy Prince and Other Tales

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  10,539 Ratings  ·  596 Reviews
"A Happy Prince and Other Tales" is a collection of whimisical short stories by Oscar Wilde. This collections includes the following tales: The Happy Prince, The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, and The Remarkable Rocket. Readers of all ages will be delighted by these fanciful tales.
Published June 12th 1980 by Shambhala (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Prince and Other Tales, please sign up.

Naísia The difference between the Prince and the Rocket is motivation: The Prince does something by mercy for others; the Rocket wants to do something by…moreThe difference between the Prince and the Rocket is motivation: The Prince does something by mercy for others; the Rocket wants to do something by pride, for self congratulation.(less)

Sidharth Vardhan
“I like to do all the talking myself. It saves time, and prevents arguments.”

These are a lot like Andersen's tales - fairy-tale kind of prose, talking objects, often with sad elements and sad endings. Add to it, Wilde's popular witticisms. The Rose and Nightingale is one of the most beautiful stories I have read.

“I hate peo
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, childrens
The popular author of The Book Thief, Markus Zusak aptly says in his introduction of this book: "There's something in these fairy tales that reminds me why any of us would want to be readers and writers in the first place, and that is that, the more amazing the stories become, the more I believe them, and the more I realize that I won't forget them." For me, these stories are truly unforgettable!

The Happy Prince : 5 stars (Amazing!)

A formerly rich and only child prince is now a regal statue. The
Alex
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
A Beautiful Collection for All Ages

Each little story is a beautifully told allegory touching to the heart. You will never be too old or too young to appreciate the marvellous moral in each story.

The stories in this collection are: The Happy Prince, The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, and The Remarkable Rocket.

Many of my favourite epigrams come from this collection. Here are a few gems (of many):

"Surely Love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than emeral
 maggie

Overall rating: 3
Srividya
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Srividya by: Fatty Bolger
When you truly live your life, you have to learn to accept and maybe expect the rare and unexpected surprises that might be in store for you. These unanticipated wonders often bring about a lot of joy in our lives and sometimes also have the capacity of teaching us a gentle yet important lesson. My surprise for the day was this small little book, a set of short stories written by Oscar Wilde and believe me I was simply floored by the simplicity as well as the complexity there was in these tales. ...more
Kübra Yağmur
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬
Sonra Kırlangıç yeniden uçup Mutlu Prens’in yanına döndü ve ona yaptığını anlattı. “Garip şey,” dedi, “içim sımsıcak, oysa hava ne kadar soğuk.”

Ne kadar güzel öykü ve masallardı onlar öyle...
Bak bu böyle böyle yapmış, sen sakın yapma, hııı! gibi bir his uyandırmadan farkındalık yaratabilen bir özelliğe sahip.
“Nereyi seversen orası senin dünyandır,” diye atıldı, hüzünlü bir çarkıfelek; gençliğinde eski bir köknar kutuya bağlanmıştı; kalbi kırıktı ve bununla gurur duyardı. “Ama aşkın modası geç
Debbie Zapata
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
I have found that any author I was forced to read in my ancient school days tends to be ignored these days when I can choose my own reading. Oscar Wilde certainly fits that statement. I remember having to dissect The Picture Of Dorian Gray for some class or other, and the only other work of his I have read since then was The Importance Of Being Earnest. I enjoyed that, but it did not inspire me to discover any more about or by Wilde.

But a few days ago I noticed a review by fellow GR group member
Mayra
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of five short stories, that are fairy-tale-like moral fables, not only for children, but drenched in subtle hints aimed at the older readers.

When questioned about the maturity of the language in his stories, Wilde ridiculed the idea that "extremely limited vocabulary at the disposal of the British child" should be "the standard by which the prose of an artist is to be judged".

These tales are dark and colorful at the same time, and deal mostly with selfishness, compassion, eg
M.
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ruh, ıssız kumsalda durup onları seyretti." (s.108)

Son derece sıcak, bilgelikle yüklü, keyifli öyküler ve masallar bunlar. Çocukluğumda okuduğum rengarenk dünyalara kapımı açan masal kitaplarını hatırlattı bana. Bu vesileyle tekrar çocukluğuma dönmemi sağladı.
Öykülerin kimi zaman hüznü aynı zamanda mizahi unsurlarla kaynaştırabilmesi büyük bir edebi dehayı gösteriyor. Özellikle "hortlak" temalı öyküyü (ya da masalı) okurken çok eğlendim. Bu öyküde satır aralarında aynı zamanda Amerikan dünya gö
Trí Trần
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Không cần nhiều thứ để viết được truyện hay. Nhưng vài người thường phức tạp hóa chuyện viết văn một cách không cần thiết. Đương nhiên, Oscar Wilde nằm ngoài số đó.

Đôi nét gợi nhớ những truyện của La Fontaine hay Andersen, cái duyên của những câu truyện trong Hoàng Tử Hạnh Phúc tuy cũng nằm ở sự châm biếm nhưng lại có chút xa cách, cô lập.

Và điểm hay nữa trong lối viết của Oscar chính là việc chỉ cần qua vài câu hội thoại, ông có thể lột tả tính cách của cả một con người.
Deborah Markus
If this book doesn't make you want to curl up with a nice hot cup of arsenic and maybe some razor blades, you read a different edition than I did. Apparently Wilde read Hans Christian Anderson and thought, "Dang nab it, I can write way way depressing fairy tales, too!"

Not saying it's not pretty. Just saying.
Anastasia
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Ιστορίες που όλοι λίγο-πολύ έχουμε ακούσει... μα που προσωπικά δεν είχα διαβάσει μέχρι τώρα. Όχι, η ανάρτηση αυτή δεν είναι κριτική. Δε θα τολμούσε να είναι κριτική. Ποιος άλλωστε θα μπορούσε να κάνει κριτική στο έργο του Όσκαρ Ουάιλντ;... Γράφω τη συγκεκριμένη ανάρτηση γιατί θέλω να εκφράσω τα ειλικρινή μου αισθήματα απέναντι σε αυτό το βιβλίο.
Τις τρεις από τις πέντε ιστορίες τις είχα ακούσει, όπως αναφέρω και πιο πάνω, συγκεκριμένα ήξερα τον Ευτυχισμένο Πρίγκιπα, τον Εγωιστή Γίγαντα και τον Αφ
Nikki
This is a beautiful little collection of stories. I thought I'd never read any of them, but I'd definitely read "The Selfish Giant" before, and some of the others seemed familiar. The stories are all a little like fairy tales, though, so that's probably part of it.

My favourites were "The Nightingale and the Rose" and "The Fisherman and His Soul", I think. All of them are lovely, though. I especially like the beginning of Star-Child. Some of the lines in it are gorgeous, like: "And when they came
Faizah Aulia R
ini bagus bangeeett.
Suka banget sama cerita-cerita di dalamnya yang meskipun disampaikan dengan bahasa dan kalimat sederhana tapi pesan moralnya banyak banget. Ini sebenernya masuk kategori children, tapi entah kenapa kalo dibaca sama orang dewasa kayaknya bakal bikin berpikir banyak dan ngehubungin dengan keadaan ketika udah dewasa, karena pesan moralnya timeless banget yah.

Oscar Wilde juara bikin cerita sederhana tapi emosinya teraduk-aduk dan banyak pesan moralnya. Bagian cerita bunga mawar i
Bắp
Dạo này mình hay bốc phét, chs :-< trước kia chỉ tào lao, nói nhảm thôi, giờ còn cả bốc phét. Nhưng còn tệ hơn (với bản thân) là mình bốc phét chẳng để hướng tới gì cả, chẳng nhằm mục đích gì cả :-< Nghe giống như D'Ardelo đang khỏe như trâu mộng nhưng bốc phét rằng mình bị ung thư, cũng chẳng vì cái gì.

Nhưng ít ra, trong lời bốc phét ung thư, hắn còn tìm thấy sự khoái cảm của 1 kẻ thích tự ngắm mình..

Thế nên tốt nhất trong giai đoạn này ko nên nói gì hết kẻo tất cả các nơ ron nhảm nhí lại
Trang
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Lâu lắm mình mới được đọc một tập truyện với những ánh văn đẹp và thơ nhường này. Hoàng tử hạnh phúc, theo một cách nào đó, gợi mình nhớ đến những câu chuyện cổ của Andecxen - dành cho trẻ con nhưng cũng chẳng hẳn là dành cho trẻ con và thật sự buồn, rất buồn...
Amina
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amina by: Hitessh Panchal
Short stories with morals, I love that!
As always, many thanks Hitessh for the great recommendation!
Nguyễn Minh Nhân
5 sao.

Cuốn này gồm 5 câu chuyện, trong đó có 2 truyện chỉ ở mức bình thường thôi nhưng mình vẫn đánh giá 5 sao vì những truyện còn lại phải gọi là quá hay, quá xuất sắc.

Hơi khác với tập truyện cổ tích trước đó mình đọc của Oscar Wilde là Ngôi nhà thạch lựu, với không khí u tối hướng về đối tượng là người lớn, thì những truyện trong đây rõ là dành cho thiếu nhi, với nội dung chủ yếu ca ngợi tình yêu, răn dạy cách làm người. Nhưng nếu chỉ như vậy thì sẽ không có gì đặc biệt, trong lúc đọc mình mới
Wastrel
Wilde is a fantastic prose stylist, if you can tolerate his style, and this is one of his most accessible works, as well as a surprising one in many ways for those with certain preconceived notions of the author: Wilde here often puts his aesthetic pose second to his political and moral views - two things that 'Oscar Wilde' wasn't meant to have at all.

On the other hand, this probably isn't the best demonstration of Wilde's skills. The idea of the arch-sophisticate taking on the genre of simple,
Alice
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Wilde and short stories. Literature/Creative writing students.
I do really like Oscar Wilde, so giving this collectiont three stars pains me somewhat. It's not that they aren't well written, they're just incredibly sad and frustrating. "The Devoted Friend", for example, just annoyed me. There are no happy endings and, call me old fashioned, but I think happy endings in children's stories are a necessity. That being said I read "The Selfish Giant" many times as a child. Whether it did me any good or not remains to be seen!

From an analytical point of view I c
Astraea
در کل خوب بود.اما بیشتر برای یک نوجوان مناسب بود...این کتاب خیلی دیر به دست من رسید...با اینکه برای کودکان بود به ظاهر، ولی مفاهیم خوب انسانی داشت...محور همه داستان ها عشق و ستیز با دین و سیاست و قدرت بود....
HebatAllah Hassan
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I fell in love with Oscar Wilde's writings ever since I read his "The Nightengale and the Rose" when one of my friends gave it to me saying: "Oh, Heba, read it; it's truly touching." And I was not disappointed; the first time I read it I wept of frustration, I was deeply deeply touched. So, knowing that this story is part of Wilde's "The Happy Prince and Other Tales", I decided to read it as a whole hoping to find stories better, if there can be anything better, or at least at the same level as ...more
Eman
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
The Happy Prince and Other Tales is my first read for Oscar Wilde, and it won't be the last. It's combined of 5 short stories, each story carries a moral at the end of it. I'm not sure if this book is appropriate to be narrated for kids at bedtime, because... (view spoiler).

How did I like each story?

The Happy Prince:
3 stars, liked it.

The Nightin
Tran
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Những câu chuyện đầy ý nghĩa làm mình nhớ đến Andersen quá thể. Nhiều chuyện quá buồn ý. Lẽ ra là 4 sao, nhưng mình cứ bị lấn bấn với phần minh hoạ, làm ẩu quá. Dồn kéo hình vỡ hết cả ra, mờ mịt. Mình cứ nhờ đến mấy cái clip art trong MSword đời đầu
Mina ArefiDoost
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب جز بهترین خاطره های کودکیمه. او نقدر که الان وقتی دیدمش اینجا از احساس خوب و زیادی که به این داستان داشتم با اینکه بیست سال پیش خوندم دلم میخواد برم نویسنده اش رو در اغوش بکشم و بگم ممنون برای خلق این اثر
Vesna
The overall rating is just a result of a simple mathematical division. The only rating that really matters is the one for The Happy Prince. And it is a pure 5 stars!
I have read The Happy Price countless times and cried my eyes out again and again. But I would/will do it again, it's worth the pain! As for the other stories , I encountered them for the first time.
My ratings go like this:

The Happy Prince *****
Infinitely sad, infinitely perfect. Ultimate sacrifice made for the good of others, repaid
Nhi Nguyễn
Tập truyện ngắn đầu tiên của Oscar Wilde mà mình đọc, và mình có thể hiểu được vì sao những tác phẩm của tác giả này lại trở thành kinh điển. Những câu chuyện cổ tích trong cuốn sách này đúng là không chỉ dành cho trẻ con, mà còn dành cho người lớn nữa, với những kết thúc buồn phản ánh đúng thực tế cuộc sống. Truyện mình thích nhất có lẽ là "Họa mi và hoa hồng", vì cái hình tượng giông giống "Tiếng chim hót trong bụi mận gai". Đau lòng và phũ phàng thật, cái cách mà con người đối xử với tình yêu ...more
Cheryl M-M
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today I decided to get an old dusty favourite out to read. Why you may ask, why today of all days would you choose Wilde?
Why have you picked this book over something equally superb and known for its literary prowess...you know something that features:

[image error]
GIFSoup

That's right goblins, goblin sex and oh baby eating goblins.
I mean isn't that the kind of book you think of straight away when you think of renowned playwrights like Wilde.

[image error]
GIFSoup

Yeh, I know I was kind of speechles
Alayne
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
4/5

Todos son casi igual de trágicos y tristes, aunque algunos duelen mucho más que otros.
En mi edición, que es bastante vieja y estaba forrada por su anterior dueño (la abuela de mi mamá, creo), hay unas ilustraciones muy lindas, aunque no busqué cuál era acá, pero me gustaron mucho.

El príncipe feliz : 4/5; me sonaba la historia, aunque no la conocía del todo, y el cuento en sí me pareció muy hermoso.

El ruiseñor y al rosa : 5/5; me volvió a romper el corazón por 765930 vez. Creo que no import
Rxmi
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"—Ahora temo que mi historia le haya molestado —dijo el jilguero—. Pero lo cierto es que lo que le conté tenía una moraleja.
—¡Ah! Eso siempre es muy peligroso —reflexionó la pata.
Y yo, yo estoy de acuerdo con ella."

El príncipe feliz: 3/5 ★
El ruiseñor y la rosa: 4/5 ★
El modelo: 3/5 ★
El amigo fiel: 5/5 ★
El reflejo: 4/5 ★
El imán: 5/5 ★

Si bien todas las historias tienen algo para dejar en el lector, no todas supieron encantarme. Mis favoritas terminaron siendo El ruiseñor y la rosa, el cual ya hab
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Strange Evil
  • The Complete Nonsense of Edward Lear
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • The Bremen Town Musicians
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” 64766 likes
“Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other.” 159 likes