Start by marking “Tough Customer (Mitchell & Associates #2)” as Want to Read:
Tough Customer (Mitchell & Associates #2)

Tough Customer

(Mitchell & Associates #2)

Hard-living detective-turned-P.I., Dodge Hanley tries not to dwell on the past. But when he gets a call from Caroline King, “the one” who got away, there’s no time for looking back; their daughter is in trouble.

Caroline has told Berry that Dodge is an old friend they can rely on to prove she didn’t shoot her ex-lover, even though she’s already told the cops she saw the rea
Published August 10th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tough Customer, please sign up.
Jayna No. You get to know Dodge a little bit in Smash Cut, but otherwise they are totally unrelated.

Mo
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the second book in the series. We met Dodge in the previous book but didn’t know a lot about him. He seemed to live a lonely existence so I was interested in reading about him.

I was dying to know what happened between Dodge and Caroline and their story was told in a series o
Vintage
Audio book

Better than average suspense that actually surprised me on more than one occasion. The book alternates between the parallel stories of the heroine’s mother and father’s relationship in 1978 and the current day manhunt and semi-romance of the heroine and the Dudley Do Right Sheriff investigating the attempted murder and subsequent murders.

Confused?

An evil doer has become infatuated with his co-worker, the younger heroine in the story, has shot what he thought was her lover and has fled.
willaful
The perfect book if you like tough, taciturn, Western cops with manly one syllable action names: we get two for the price of one. Dodge -- older guy reunited with his lost love Caroline, and Ski -- hunky deputy who falls for Caroline’s daughter Berry, during a manhunt to find a maniac obsessed with her. (I assumed while listening that her name was Barrie -- "Berry" is pretty weird. If it was ever explained, I missed it.)

My favorite part of this was Dodge and Caroline’s story, revealed slowly via
Ingie
Review written May 13, 2018

4 STARS - Once again a slightly romantic SB suspense did it for me. Simply great!

A audiobook by Sandra Brown, add narrated by on of my favorite narrators Victor Slezak, is ALWAYS a very good book-choice. This one Tough Customer is 13:39 hours and it might be fun to first read Smash Cut (4 stars) , then this book links to the main characters in that book, but it isn’t absolutely necessary.

*******************************************
« Hard-living detective-tur
Lynsey A
Dee
4.5 Stars

I loved Dodge, his dry humour and wit and the character came alive by Victor Slezak's narration......His story of losing Caroline was very sad and I shed a tear even though he was a stupid idiot and deserved what he got, but my heart still broke for him and for Caroline who loved and lost the love of her life......30 years is a long time to live without that person!

Great story with a surprising twist at the end.
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Another great Sandra Brown. I loved the characters in this one especially the "Tough Customer" Dodge Hanley a wise cracking, ex lawman who has kept the mistakes of his past buried deeply inside but now must use all his skills to save the daughter he has never met from being a stalker's next victim.

4.5 stars.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in Sandra Brown's Mitchell & Associates series. Realtor Caroline King calls her old lover P.I Dodge Hanley for help. Their daughter, Berry Malone, has a stalker who is threatening her. Thirty years ago Caroline and Dodge were lovers and mistakes made tore them apart but now Caroline needs his help to keep their daughter safe and to find the stalker. Dodge teams up with the local police and the chase is on.

I did not realize this was a series when I found it in the library but
Joanne
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!!!!! This author is fantastic!!!!! "Tough Customer". A movie should be made of it. A true page turner and I didn't want it to end.......great suspense, a true who done it!!! Finding one's true love again after 30 yrs........finding that love is even stronger then ever!! Dodge Hanley getting to know his daughter that he has not seen since her birth, 30 yrs ago.......a deranged stalker bent on killing his daughter Berry....and he must protect the love of his life Caroline and his daughter Be ...more
William
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
About what I expected having listened to "Smash Cut".
Low rating from me just because I prefer mystery story over romantic interaction. Unless Brown writes a book sans romance, this will be me last.
Should does produce a good product in her genre, especially having the book narrated by Victor Slezak.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Two reviews of this winner for me - AudioGals and Speaking of Audiobooks

Narrated by Victor Slezak
Glomming Sandra Brown’s romantic suspense audio backlist in 2010, I met Dodge Hanley, the hero of Tough Customer, in Smash Cut. It never dawned on me at the time that Dodge was a potential hero meant to carry his own book. He’s a middle aged, hard-talking, chain-smoking investigator for attorney Derek Mitchell (the hero of Smash Cut).

Thirty years ago, Dodge and the love of his life, Caroline, divorce
Jacqueline J
This one was kind of hard to categorize. The mystery wasn't very mysterious and the end was a bit of a cop out and there weren't any clues dropped that I could see to help the reader figure it out. Some of the police stuff wasn't real realistic.

The story of Berry and the man stalking her was interrupted quite often by flashbacks of her parents affair 30 years ago. At first the flashbacks were a little disruptive and then you realized that the real story was happening in the flashbacks and becau
Jackie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent book... something didn’t work for me. Not sure what it was sadly
Michael
2 1/2 stars.

Dodge Hanley is a former cop who now works as a private investigator for his friend, attorney, Derek Mitchell.

Dodge has been divorced from Caroline King for thirty years but still has feelings about her. He's taken by surprise when gets a call from Caroline asking for his help. Before he can answer, she tells him that their daughter, Berry, is being stalked by a madman and was almost killed.

When Dodge arrives in Houston, Caoroline introduces him as a friend who is a private investiga
Linda D
I love Sandra Brown but not this one. Dodge is a good character but the "Sue Me' got old, as did the fat references. It was chock full of clichés, I expect better from Ms. Brown. Guess they can't all be winners.
Marcie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I haven't read a Sandra Brown in years. She used to be one of my faves. I saw this new one on the library shelf and thought, why not? 639 pages of large print, I've got a few days to walk down memory lane with an old friend.

I kept cringing at the awkward logic forcing the action and the odd word choices in dialogue that really didn't fit the character...the "F" bomb flying in from nowhere, and frankly, there is not enough sex in this book. Seriously. Nobody does the nasty til the last 100 pages.
Shea
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've read most of Sandra Brown's books, and usually I'm excited when they come out and read through them really quickly (as in, maybe takes me 3 days to finish one). This one took me almost a whole week to get through. It was a little sad and disapointing that this book did not live up to Sandra Brown's usual standards.
First of all, I didn't like Berry, one of the main characters. She came across as selfish, kind of mean, and overall just not a very good person. But, most of the book revolved ar
Sara Boespflug
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Sandra Brown. Loved how it all flowed together and kept me on the edge of my seat. Perfect romance mystery novel.
Britt
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
If anyone had read my review of Smash Cut I spent many sentences describing just how much I loved Dodge in that book and wished that perhaps we had seen more into them. I was definitely pleasantly surprised to start this book (I've been collecting Brown books and tend to just randomly pick one off my shelf and go for it) and realise that my favourite man was there again!

I really liked this book, particularly how it slowly told us Caroline and Dodge's story from the past and how everything went s
Lady Jaye
Somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars

I won this book from a GoodReads Giveaway - my first time ever to win any book! - and I really enjoyed it. Berry Malone's coworker is stalking her and now he's escalated to violence.

Caroline King, Berry's mother, calls in Dodge Hanley, a private investigator to ask him to help. she's been estranged from dodge for thirty years. Beery is their daughter, but Dodge has never met her.

Although I didn't feel it was very suspenseful, I will say that this novel is more
Gossymotto
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: detective, fiction
This was a very light read. Predictable story and shallow characters. If you just want something to breeze through without having to give it much thought, this one works, but I found the little inaccuracies started to get to me. Dodge (who could be Yosemite Sam, pulls his "Revolver" out of it's holster at one point, only to put his "Pistol" back in. I know that they's a both shootin' irons, but there is a difference so either he's got a pistol or a revolver, which is it? Then when the girl claim ...more
Jeanne
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-reads
I was a little disappointed in the latest from Sandra Brown. Dodge Hanley is called to help his daughter Berry, whom he abandoned at birth. The flashbacks to the relationship between Berry's mother, Caroline and Dodge were distracting and the overall story was disorganized. Most of the characters were unlikable and the mystery was undeveloped, with an ending that had no development in the story. I get the feeling that this was a rushed project. Definitely not up to the author's earlier books.
Season
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really goods story. I liked Dodge as a character and actually think I could read more about him. He was very complex but seemed real all at the same time. Berry and Ski were good supporting characters along with Caroline. The was completely surprised by the ended.
Lee Anne
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It was ok. I find myself not liking her characters. They just aren't relatable to me. The ending was good, and unexpected.
Hbeebti
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Another incredible story written by Sandra Brown. It had a great storyline, and like-able characters. Dodge was a riot, I really enjoyed his character. I'd rate this book with more than 5 stars if I could. I would highly recommend giving 'Tough Customer' a go.
Jae
The feels. I was very invested in the Dodge/Caroline 's history.
Almost didn't care about the current mystery part.
Kate
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Dodge hasn't heard from Caroline since the day their daughter was born and she kicked him out. It's been 30 years, so when Caroline calls Dodge for help out of the blue, he goes against his best instinct, meeting Berry for the first time, and trying to help her out of a mess that her stalker has made.

This is one of those take to the beach reads, because it's easy, and you don't need to pay too much attention to it. I'm familiar enough with Brown to like her writing, but also know what I'm in fo
Judy Churchill
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This is more like the Brown style of complicated police work. I still didn’t get the solution before it was revealed in the book. I failed to bond with these characters and can’t quite figure out why when I liked the basic story. Oh well. Sometimes it’s like that.
Gail
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an OK type of mystery. I didn't enjoy it as much as I have other Sandra Brown books
Sanda Brown Super...: Tough Customer 3 5 Jul 30, 2014 12:02PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Tough Customer 1 2 Jan 27, 2012 12:38PM

• Tiger Prince
  • Love's Encore
  • The Silken Web
  • Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)
  • Shattered
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy

Mitchell & Associates (2 books)
  • Smash Cut (Mitchell & Associates, #1)
“People adjust their behavior to fit the society they live in. They integrate because they have to. But what they are on the inside doesn't change.” 80 likes
“Повечето хора биха си намерили удобни оправдания и биха се отърсили от всякакви угризения. А тя се бореше да изчисти грешките от миналото и най-напред своите - без да се крие от съвестта си, без да играе фалшиви роли, без да се теши със самозаблуди.” 1 likes