Start by marking “Moon Bear” as Want to Read:
Moon Bear

Moon Bear

Moon Bears, or Asiatic black bears, are so named because of the white moon-shaped blaze on their chests. The moon bears are seldom seen but their footprints, claw marks, hair, and bear nests high in the trees give us clues about how they live. Sadly, there are now more moon bears in captivity than in the wild, as these animals are being "farmed" for their commercially ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Moon Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Bear

Start your review of Moon Bear
Abigail
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Bear Lovers & Would-Be Naturalists / Ed Young Fans
In a poetic series of questions and answers, author Brenda Z. Guiberson - whose other works of natural history for younger readers include the outstanding Life in the Boreal Forest and Into the Sea - explores the world of Asiatic black bears, often called "Moon Bears" because of the distinctive crescent-moon-shaped white patch on their chests. Her simple text sets out some of the species' behaviors and activities in the wild, from climbing trees to eating berries, following the Moon Bear ...more
Kathryn
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Charming, lyrical text by Brenda Guiberson really captures the activities of the moon bear, playing, searching, eating, hunting, being wary, sleeping... I was not quite as captivated by Young's illustrations as I wanted to be. I really appreciate his artistic vision and the collage effect is very neat, but it just isn't really my style in this case. Still, this is a very worthwhile read for anyone who enjoys nature and animals and is endorsed by Jane Goodall. Moon bears aren't very well known ...more
Tasha
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Follow a moon bear through a year from one spring to the next. Each page begins with a question that is then answered through a short verse. So much of the book, just as with the bear’s life, is taken up with the search for food. Food that will make children squirm and food that they too would love to find. Guiberson’s text is more poetry than scientific information, offering readers a beautiful look at a rare creature. Adding to the beauty of the book are the amazing collage illustrations by Ed ...more
Barbara
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
With edgy, colorful collage illustrations featuring different sizes and shapes and simple but moving words, the author and illustrator make an effective plea for these animals whose survival has been threatened by humans. The use of a chronological pattern describing the moon bear's year seems a bit awkward at points, lessening readers' appreciation for the book. But the photographs of moon bears at play on the book's closing pages makes up for that flaw in many respects. There is even a website ...more
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this book by none other than Irene Fountas as she used it in a struggling readers workshop. This book, written in rhyme shares some great facts about the moon bear (which I had never heard of before) following it through a year in her life. There is so much that can be learned by students in this book including efforts to save the Moon Bear going on now.
Laura Harrison
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ed Young's pictures are captivating, bold and beautiful. A great preservation message.
Richie Partington
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
8 June 2010 MOON BEAR by Brenda Z. Guiberson and Ed Young, ill., Henry Holt, May 2010, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-8050-8977-6

"All God's critters got a place in the choir
Some sing low, some sing higher
Some sing out loud on the telephone wire
And some just clap their hands, or paws
Or anything they got" -- Bill Staines

What you WON'T learn from reading MOON BEAR:

"In countries across Asia, thousands of bears live a life of torture on bear farms, so that their bile can be extracted and used in traditional
Janet
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
With the simplest, easily understood text, one learns about the Asiatic moon bear. Wonderful collage art depicts the text extremely well. Love the illustration with the bamboo as well as the one with raspberries and red scat.
Designer for the young preschoolers, it is a title to include with animal lessons or one on Southeast Asia.
Ellina Anisimova
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ira
This book showed colorful pictures and narrated the life of moon bears. When I read this to my students they were engaged and interested to hear what came next. The author's note, in the end, was insightful to read as it described the efforts to help build sanctuaries to improve the health of moon bears in Asia.
Hailey Forbes
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Genre: contemporary realistic
Reading Level: elementary

This book showed the moon bear and what she did during the day. They story goes from her sleeping, to eating, to having her babies. This would be interesting for a student who loves learning about animals.
Meredith
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy flow of words
Really liked the illustrations
Denise
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
More informational than narrative. Children with an interest in animals will enjoy the additional information the author includes at the end of the text.
Ivory
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-young
A book about moon bears and hibernation. I liked the detailed pages. A good class library book.
Copyright: 2010
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story tells very interesting information about the endangered Asiatic moon bear, including that they nest high in trees. Great illustrations.
Mely
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations were a little weird, but other than that an interesting picture book about the moon bear. Learned something new.
Mylinh
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Non-Fiction

Not my favorite book, but it offers good facts about the endangered Moon Bear for both young and older readers. Is a good book to show the basic behaviors of these bears and have younger children compare their actions to those of the Moon Bears. Additional information in the back of the book help readers learn more about Moon Bears and how they can help the species.

From School Library Journal
Starred Review. Grade 1–3—The endangered Moon Bear, or Asiatic black bear, is the subject of
Ivy Wesner
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Guiberson, Brenda Z. Moon Bear. Henry Holt and Company, LLC, 2010. 40 p. Gr. P-3.
Moon Bear wakes after a long winter’s snooze. As she peeks through the sunlight of the Himalayas she seeks sweet food to fulfill her appetite after going many months without eating. As she journeys through the forest she marks her territory and climbs the trees to find more food. Moon Bear avoids poachers and loggers and again in the fall, gorges on extra food to fill her tummy for another long winter of
Ashlyn Ryder
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: libs-642
Guiberson, Brenda Z. (2010). Moon Bear. New York: Henry Holt.

Picture Book Soak

A picture book with a cause, this book brings attention to a special Asiatic bear endangered species. This could be a great addition to a book collection to teach young children about the concept of endangered species. The text offers great vocabulary sure to start conversation. My “picture walk” of the book left me wondering the story line because of several mostly dark colored full page pictures. Young readers may
Hannah Grosse
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book, in my opinion, wasn't all that thrilling. It's about the activities of a bear, like sleeping, eating, and scratching trees. It's not that I disliked it, but personally there was nothing about the book which drew me in, or made me like it. The illustrations are not bad, but collages are not my personal favorite form of illustration. Also, there is nothing said about why the bear is called a moon bear. This book could have been written about any black bear or grizzly bear, and there ...more
David
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Beautifully illustrated in collage art by Ed Young, Moon Bear gives a look into the little known world of the endangered Moon Bear. Photographs in the back show a number of moon bears at the Animals Asia Moon Bera Rescue Center in China. A series of questions and answers with some challenging descriptive vocabulary by author Brenda Guiberson generally match well with Youngs illustrations of these Asiatic black bears with white moon markings. Perhaps best shared in a small group or one on one.
Nielson
Oct 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Follow the activities of this moon bear, otherwise known as an Asiatic Black Bear, as he sleeps, scratches, searches, scuttles, and shuffles along. With these very unique collage illustrations, kids will become more informed on these increasingly rare bears. Also included at the back is more information and pictures on moon bears. Honestly, I'm not sure how captivated kids will be by this book. Nothing grabbed my attention and it just felt dull.
Waller
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
A well-intentioned effort in a good cause (the protection of the severely endangered Asian moon bear), but I thought the text was a bit pedestrian and Ed Young's highly stylized collage illustrations were less effective for the purpose than photographs or more realistic illustration would have been.
Samantha
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Question and answer text reveals the way moon bears spend their days when in their habitats. Cut paper collages bring the moon bear's world to life.

Following the story is an author's note urging readers to take action to protect moon bears and contribute to the construction of sanctuaries so moon bears can enjoy the freedom to behave the way their built to behave.
Destiny Thompson
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
Moon Bear is a book that will have kids learning, without even knowing it. Moon bear's journey after awakening from hibernation is described to us detail. This book gives kids a better understanding of what bears do, it portrays bears as kind and curious. I would recommend this book for first or second grade children.
Kate
Mar 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Blech! I wanted to like this Ed Young-illlustrated book, but it was just awful. UGLY collage illustrations and one gross part about bear scat that I could not get past. I don't understand the raves about this book...
Judy Desetti
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Illustrations are dark and hard to see, except as a lap book. But their texture and paper on paper technique is very interesting.

Story about an Asian bear who goes through the seasons spring to spring.
Dolly
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a short picture book that explains about Moon Bears. The narrative is fairly simple and the colorful collage illustrations are the highlight of the book. We all learned a little bit about these little-known creatures and we enjoyed reading the book together.
Sharon Lawler
Amazing artwork by Ed Young, and simple text by Brenda Guiberson, lead us through a day in the life of an Asiatic Moon Bear. This book is part of an effort to improve the lives of the Moon Bear, as most of them live in captivity, and not in the wild as depicted in this book.
Tom
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
**SPOILERS**

I didn't like the sudden appearance of the cubs. I thought it was about the plight of the extiction of the moon bear and would have been happy to see the cubs playing at the end but we were robbed of the chance to see the relationship between Mother and Father develop.
Toby
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
I love Ed Young's illustrations but these don't work for me: too dark, too confusing, and I don't think they inspire the reader to want to help save the bears, the underlying purpose for the book.

• Blackout
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • The Printer
  • A Day with Yayah
  • The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos
  • The Inventor's Secret: What Thomas Edison Told Henry Ford
  • Those Shoes
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • One Green Apple
  • The Misadventures of Sweetie Pie
  • You Hold Me Up
  • The Name Jar
  • Moon Bear
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
Brenda Z. Guiberson has written many books for children, including Cactus Hotel, Spoonbill Swamp, Moon Bear and Disasters. As a child, Brenda never thought she wanted to be a writer—her dreams tended more toward jungle explorer. She graduated from the University of Washington with degrees in English and Fine Art. She started thinking about writing for children when her son went to elementary ...more